Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

oh dope posted:

The Mako could jump, but it was good for absolute gently caress all.

The whole spacecar aspect of ME1 could've been a lot of fun but you can tell they really didn't put a whole lot of effort into it.

Why not have jetpacks? Or hover bikes? That way I can biotic charge half a tonne of space metal at a hundred miles an hour into some dumb space pirate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Playing MGSV makes me wish the Mako acted more like the Pequod does: customizable, autonomous, and able to call it in for backup in fights as well as for transportation.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Playing MGSV makes me wish the Mako acted more like the Pequod does: customizable, autonomous, and able to call it in for backup in fights as well as for transportation.

And comes with a selection of Kickin' 80's tunes to strike fear into the hearts of your enemies.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

I can't see this at work, but it's that loving boat, isn't it?

I don't see why that mission was so bad, especially compared to the first game where there's also a boat assassination but since you can't swim and the games has wonky controls it's pretty bad.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just Traded in Natural Doctrine for Dragon Quest 9 because it did LITERALLY everything wrong. It was the most amateurish kind of game on the PS4.

It starts off with a generic but pretty main menu that shows some of the world, which is desolate but kinda colourful. The problems start the instant you click "new game" - No intro cutscene whatsoever. No context, No plot, and it's a game published by Nippon Ichi as well so you expect something. Your just in a tiny boring dungeon fighting goblins because (?). Are they pests? Have they been attacking small villages? I don't know, just that one character literally describes them as akin to cockroaches, and I don't know how to take that here. Are they just more intelligent pests than get into peoples rosebushes, or is this character supposed to have racism against monsters as a character flaw? It's really unclear.

The annoying thing is this has been used as a hook much better by 99 Nights on the Xbox 360 as you get context there - she hates goblins irrationally because her family were killed by them, you are fighting them now because a war has broken out, and her racism against goblins is a major character flaw - In an optional cutscene that you only get going in a certain direction towards a dead end, She ends the first level coming across and massacring a camp of goblins women and children to her allies, and the player's, horror. I wanted to continue, it got me invested. Is this a character flaw to be addressed or will she double down and go full villain? The only reason I got stuck was the terrible difficulty scaling - because I played too well as her, the next character's story was so hard as to be almost impossible for me.

Also, the Presentation in Natural Doctrine is ugly - the UI is cluttered, and the damage number come up in a chatlog, which wouldn't be a problem as it only appears while your characters are attacking something, but when you get into the second fight you notice something - it never clears. It just fills the screen with old numbers from 3 fights ago and the animations are so boring to watch.

I'm just glad I got Shadow Warrior alongside it or that would have been a totally wasted purchase.

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
Just finished up Zero Time Dilemma and it was fantastic, but holy christ Eric is the WORST, I wish I had ten times the opportunities to murder his dense rear end

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Alhazred posted:

I don't see why that mission was so bad, especially compared to the first game where there's also a boat assassination but since you can't swim and the games has wonky controls it's pretty bad.

Because it's an automatic game over if you get spotted.

Though on the plus side that mission finally shut up all the people who complained about how Assassin's Creed 1 didn't have enough actual stealth sections.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Poulpe posted:

Just finished up Zero Time Dilemma and it was fantastic, but holy christ Eric is the WORST, I wish I had ten times the opportunities to murder his dense rear end

You don't need to spoiler that. Said character is established as the worst the second he opens his dumbass mouth.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

Because it's an automatic game over if you get spotted.

But its not that hard to do it without being spotted.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag is probably the second best rear end Creed game behind Brotherhood, but it has a giant glaring issue: Every single moment that isn't spent on a boat is complete agonizing boredom because literally all of the missions are "TAIL THIS GUY FOR TEN MINUTES"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The contests you have to go through in order to win the golden mask in AssCreed II was pretty bad though. Especially since you don't get it after winning and have to steal it anyways.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

I just Traded in Natural Doctrine for Dragon Quest 9 because it did LITERALLY everything wrong. It was the most amateurish kind of game on the PS4.

I wanted to like nine, I really did. I was one of those people who always liked Dragon Quest more than Final Fantasy even though none of my friends even knew what Dragon Quest was. But 9 is basically just a final fantasy game wearing the flayed skin of Dragon Quest :negative: at least it still has puns.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Alhazred posted:

The contests you have to go through in order to win the golden mask in AssCreed II was pretty bad though. Especially since you don't get it after winning and have to steal it anyways.
Yeah, I've played through that game 3 or 4 times, and have never once been able to beat the capture the flag contest legitimately. The only way I've ever been able to outrun the other guy is by just jumping off the roof, absorbing the fall damage, snorting some medicine, and grabbing the flag.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nuebot posted:

I wanted to like nine, I really did. I was one of those people who always liked Dragon Quest more than Final Fantasy even though none of my friends even knew what Dragon Quest was. But 9 is basically just a final fantasy game wearing the flayed skin of Dragon Quest :negative: at least it still has puns.

Well, I've never played Dragon Quest before and I love Final Fantasy so I guess this'll be a good gateway for me. I also enjoyed Blue Dragon, so I'm familiar with Toriyama's somewhat immature enemy designs (Half the enemies in Blue Dragon were literally piles of poo poo with varying themes :3:) I guess when you get to that point in Akira Toriyama's career of "I launched a ridiculously successful anime series, became a household name with my distinct art style and invented multiple childhoods through Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger" if you want to design enemies while giving in to your inner six-year-old, noone says boo. He was just like "gently caress it! I'll make poop jokes - ALL THE POOP JOKES I CAN POSSIBLY MAKE!"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

Well, I've never played Dragon Quest before and I love Final Fantasy so I guess this'll be a good gateway for me. I also enjoyed Blue Dragon, so I'm familiar with Toriyama's somewhat immature enemy designs (Half the enemies in Blue Dragon were literally piles of poo poo with varying themes :3:) I guess when you get to that point in Akira Toriyama's career of "I launched a ridiculously successful anime series, became a household name with my distinct art style and invented multiple childhoods through Dragon Quest and Chrono Trigger" if you want to design enemies while giving in to your inner six-year-old, noone says boo. He was just like "gently caress it! I'll make poop jokes - ALL THE POOP JOKES I CAN POSSIBLY MAKE!"

The poop was my favorite part of Blue Dragon because I will never grow up and I love Toriyama because he is really good at just hitting that perfect immature spot of humor. Dragon Quest is full of puns and if you do like nine I suggest you try eight after. Especially if you like puns and goofy accents.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nuebot posted:

The poop was my favorite part of Blue Dragon because I will never grow up and I love Toriyama because he is really good at just hitting that perfect immature spot of humor. Dragon Quest is full of puns and if you do like nine I suggest you try eight after. Especially if you like puns and goofy accents.

I think my favourite Poop Joke in Blue Dragon is the penultimate boss fight. You fight a giant Cyborg T-Rex, that starts the fight taking a massive poo poo. Then you fight him and his giant poo poo. It's actually a deceptively tricky boss too.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
And 2 of the hardest bosses in the game where the king poo's, building sized piles of poo poo with snake faces.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Wow, when it comes to poo poo he doesn't gently caress around.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Sounds like I need to check that poo poo out. :nexus:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
A one shot, one kill shotgun that you can cross map with, the "weakness" of it is that its one of the few weapons in Black Ops 3 that isn't hitscan, but the orb moves at a decent pace and the hitbox for it is larger than the orb itself implies, at a short to medium distance its almost impossible to react to and at a long distance you have a fairly small window to dodge it.

I am so loving sick of this loot crate nonsense in these loving shooter games, I see why they're there, dumb gently caress kids spending their parents monies in a bid to get this garbage but it fucks the whole game balance up, it was bad enough that the loot crate weapons in AW had different stats despite technically being the same gun but this poo poo is just annoying, think I'm just done with shooters that have these kind of things in place, they start out so well, empty promises of "its just cosmetics" then they gently caress it all up and the balance goes to poo poo, don't wanna spend real money? Well tough poo poo, enjoy losing.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Overwatch has a huge list of problems but it's at least a shooter where there's no unlocks/loadout bullshit that affects the gameplay. It's really bizarre how rare those have become.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

Overwatch has a huge list of problems but it's at least a shooter where there's no unlocks/loadout bullshit that affects the gameplay. It's really bizarre how rare those have become.

Having troubles with that one to, if I play solo it at least matchmakes me with people near my level, if I pair up with friends its always versus organized squads which are really high level to, we constantly get stomped and nobody has any fun.

Oh and Hanzo and his broken rear end head hitboxes, that guy really need to be fixed.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I shot this rabbit with my red-fletched arrows and now it's white:

Get your poo poo together Dragon's Dogma

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Captain Lavender posted:

I think if the rabbit dies and the arrow changes color that means you're pregnant.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Captain Lavender posted:

What kind of scrub shoots rabbits with arrows. Real men kill goblins with rabbit projectiles.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Captain Lavender posted:

Are you loving the rabbit in this screenshot?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I meant to pick up a mushroom. Picked up the rabbit instead. After this pic, I hucked him off a cliff.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hannibal Smith posted:

Yeah, I've played through that game 3 or 4 times, and have never once been able to beat the capture the flag contest legitimately. The only way I've ever been able to outrun the other guy is by just jumping off the roof, absorbing the fall damage, snorting some medicine, and grabbing the flag.

Tackling someone while running is almost impossible in those games. More than once I accidentally killed the guy I was supposed to tackle.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

rodbeard posted:

Are you loving the rabbit in this screenshot?

The rabbit fisting season got a late start this year.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Alhazred posted:

Tackling someone while running is almost impossible in those games. More than once I accidentally killed the guy I was supposed to tackle.

At least in my experience, I had a lot of trouble figuring it out because the way the games explain how to tackle is kind of vague. Once I understood that all you need to do is hit the button a single time in order to leap at the guy, I suddenly had way more success at grabbing dudes, even if it wasn't totally foolproof. Also some of those messengers just get plain suicidal.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 10:44 on Jul 3, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Darksiders 2 is such a painfully tedious shitshow. I got some unique armor in the final dungeon of the game, then died to lovely dps spamming enemies. Reloaded the game, lost the condition to spawn the armor again. The boss fight against Samael is ridiculous, too. The second phase has the boss spawning pillars of flame beneath you that you can dodge IF you twitch out of the way of the first attack, but gently caress you if you don't hope you enjoy being stunlocked to death.

gently caress this game for making me sound like I've got tourettes' syndrome. Ugh.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
loving unskippable credits sequences. Why is this even a thing. I've recently beat both Just Cause 3 and MGS: Revengeance, and both being pretty big budget productions have a loving looong list of people over something like 10+ different companies working for it. Both are also the type of game when you might want to immediately play more or do a New Game+. So why should I sit through all this bullshit, I had to leave it running for a few solid minutes. Pressed every button on the keyboard, gamepad, held arrows to maybe speed it up. Nope. Can't really Alt-F4 out of it, because who knows if my progress was saved already, maybe I'll be allowed to continue, or maybe I'll be booted back to the boss fight. Alt-Tab? Credits paused fuckface.

Why, loving why. What is the purpose of this poo poo, is there a single person on this planet that cares about reading names of hundreds of random people who made gaem. Please tell me I won't have to do it again if I complete MGS:R on higher difficulty :negative:

I don't care. It's cool that you made the game, but I just don't give a gently caress. Just put that poo poo in the main menu somewhere, so that normal people can never click on it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

grate deceiver posted:

big budget productions have a loving looong list of people over something like 10+ different companies working for it.

One word: Ubisoft. :suicide:

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

My HOI4 complaint: This game is too good. The only thing wrong with it (aside from several seriously minor complaints) is that it's too short. Expanding the game to 1955 would make me a happy boy :3:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Something that gets to me is when a game that has expanded universe bullshit (books, comics, straight-to-DVD movies and whatever) eventually they seem to come to the conclusion that you know all that poo poo before playing.

Both Mass Effect 3 and Assassin's Creed 3 introduced villains from extended media and expected me to care about them and now I'm playing Halo 5 and it seems to presume I've read some of the dozens of EU bullshit that's come out since the last game. I remember people telling me that Master Chief was the last Spartan II, now he's suddenly leading a whole team of them? The Prometheans seemed contained to the planet from Halo 4, why do they seem to be all over the Galaxy now and why are they fighting the Covenant?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It comes up in Cinema Discusso pretty often - when a film or game expects you to have done your homework, it's a pretty big sign towards being poo poo story telling.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

John Murdoch posted:

One word: Ubisoft. :suicide:

Because of Kickstarter poo poo Mighty Number 9's credits are something like 4 hours long.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Overwatch: Symmetra's character design is asymmetrical.

What the gently caress, Blizzard, it's right there in her name. Did her character designer hate English and pants?

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Jul 4, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

NotAnArtist posted:

I'm playing Darksiders 2 and the Kingdom of the Dead is just such a bland, boring area that's essentially a grey wasteland. I know it's a barren lifeless land, but every dungeon is just so generically ''ruined castle'' that it feels phoned in in comparison to the lush area you previously explore. The fact that the camera is garbage and the mini map lacks a North orientation makes exploration super frustrating at times.

Probably the most comically front-loaded game I've ever played. The game's hubs progress from a massive open world to literal hallways that make you question why you even have a horse. They really didn't expect reviewers to play past the first hub before they reviewed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Deified Data posted:

Probably the most comically front-loaded game I've ever played. The game's hubs progress from a massive open world to literal hallways that make you question why you even have a horse. They really didn't expect reviewers to play past the first hub before they reviewed it.

That's par the course for reviewers though isn't it?