Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Leadsom might be the least terrible choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jose posted:

knifing boris in the back has killed gove's leadership bid lol. leadsom has said she'll invoke article 50 immediately as well

Boris and Gove stabbing each other to clear the way for May and Leadsom will make for a fascinating tell all book in a few years.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The Regular Features gang ruminate on Brexit:

https://soundcloud.com/regularfeatures/197-cleaning-out-our-sad-pipes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

qhat posted:

Leadsom might be the least terrible choice?

may is almost certainly a better choice

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
nuclear fire from the skies is the best choice at this point

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Has this been posted yet?

James Delingpole: Michael Gove — the next Margaret Thatcher

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
:barf:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Can I join the Labour Party if I'm not a UK citizen? I am a resident and I'd like to help out Corbs if I can.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Antti posted:

Boris and Gove stabbing each other to clear the way for May and Leadsom will make for a fascinating tell all book in a few years.

Given Gove's repeated insistences that he doesn't want to be PM I'd almost suspect it to be a deliberate plot to just get rid of Boris, but that would mean that Gove had devised a plan that actually worked so maybe not

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Rachel Shabi is rapidly becoming my favourite journalist in this quagmire.

From last week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mw8aH-uUP4

Miftan posted:

Can I join the Labour Party if I'm not a UK citizen? I am a resident and I'd like to help out Corbs if I can.

Yes you can.

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010

Miftan posted:

My partner's a resident non-citizen who joined last year to vote for Corbyn. He hasn't been purged yet so it seems to be alright.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Jose posted:

which is why she won't win lmao

peter hitchens today referred to her as a 'blairite' for daring to be enthusiastic about women's rights

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jose posted:

I don't trust anyone in the contest but I guess I also don't trust Tories in general, especially not Theresa May.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Miftan posted:

Yes, the rulebook says UK/Irish citizenship _or_ 1 year residency.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/pestononsunday/status/749532507150753792

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jesus christ, didn't the EU say that the UK isn't getting any negotiation before they trigger Article 50 like a million times by now?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

So apparently a new study suggests about 70% of 18-24 year-olds voted in the referendum, which is about double the previous estimated turnout. Looks like young people were bothered about this after all!

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

radmonger posted:

Yes, the rulebook says UK/Irish citizenship _or_ 1 year residency.

Incidentally, the reason the Labour party gets politically hosed by EU immigration is that the several million people in that category pay tax, are integrated into the economy, but don't get to vote in national elections/referenda.

By demographics/socioeconomic status, those votes would be easily enough to reverse both the referendum and the last election. But without them having votes, there is much lessl political downside to racism against them.

Fun hypothetical; resident Commonwealth citizens do get to vote, without having to go through the process of claiming permanent citizenship. So if the entirety of the EU applied to join the Commonwealth, that would create a pro-EU, working class voting block that would change the UK political landscape beyond recognition.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/parliawint/status/749549822156349440

How the gently caress are these so good.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

vegetables posted:

So apparently a new study suggests about 70% of 18-24 year-olds voted in the referendum, which is about double the previous estimated turnout. Looks like young people were bothered about this after all!

It's almost like FPTP nonsense and barely being able to slip a rizla paper between reduces engagement. Whod a thunk it.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Miftan posted:

Jesus christ, didn't the EU say that the UK isn't getting any negotiation before they trigger Article 50 like a million times by now?

I've noticed that the UK seems to think they're negotiating from a position of any power whatsoever. I guess they're following the examples of the US(spends all it's money on shiny toys and is itching for any excuse to use them) and Putin(noted Shadiest Man On The loving Planet) but without any of those actual "advantages".

I guess it comes from the "EU desperately needs the UK" lie and everyone's been drinking the kool-aid.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Whenever I lose all faith in humanity I just need to remember that there's literally a Funny Wint Tweet for every loving situation imaginable. It brightens my day.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

vegetables posted:

The gently caress were they using for the previous estimate then?

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

OwlFancier posted:

A back of the envelope calculation done by somebody on twitter.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

XMNN posted:

nuclear fire from the skies is the best choice at this point

Hail SS-18-Satan, may his nuclear fire cleanse the earth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI_4yGGS85M

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Ashcroft's poll IIRC.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/14594967.Corbyn_s_new_Shadow_Scottish_Secretary_attacked_the_Barnett_Formula/?ref=mrb&lp=4

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn’s new Shadow Scottish Secretary is opposed to the funding deal that protects public spending north of the border.

Dave Anderson, who represents a seat in the north east of England, signed a motion calling for an “immediate review” of the Barnett formula.

He was shoehorned into the role to help try and ease pressure on the under fire Labour leader after MP Ian Murray resigned the Scotland brief.

Anderson has in the past backed a move that would cut public spending in the country he now speaks for in the shadow cabinet.

WELP; that lasted long.

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 3, 2016

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I almost remember that there was some point that I believed the Labour Party might actually be able to be competent one day

I don't remember when this was exactly or what on earth would have given me that belief

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

But... isn't the Barnett Formula desperately in need of review as it's wildly unfair to places that aren't the south-east?

I mean, that's not what a review now would do, but... it DOES need reviewing doesn't it?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Why is Labour so loving hosed up?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

OwlFancier posted:

An Ashcroft poll that undersampled 18-24s by a massive margin. I'm talking, only half as many 18-24s in the weighted sample as there should have been.

Also, it's understandable that youth turnout would be depressed during exam season, and during the time of the year students move back home.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jul 3, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

dex_sda posted:

Why is Labour so loving hosed up?

In 1996, Tony Blair went to a little shop in Hong Kong and bought a monkey's paw.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Interesting read about the Labour Coup that's been in the making since Corbyn looked to win the leadership contest.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/07/01/senior-labour-party-insider-says-plan-oust-corbyn-play-10-months-ago-exclusive/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

I'm doing my best to explain to people that the closest the Labour left have gotten to antisemitism was Jim Murphy blocking a Jewish candidate for councillor because he decided she was an antisemite, but I'm mostly just getting screamed at in response.

Jim Murphy is Labour right, not Labour left. And she was a candidate for the National Executive Committee, not a councillor (and therefore MUCH more important), and she was the only prospective Jewish candidate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He signed that in 2006.

I would guess he probably wasn't acting in his capacity as Shadow Scottish Secretary 10 years ago.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Jim Murphy is Labour right, not Labour left. And she was a candidate for the National Executive Committee, not a councillor (and therefore MUCH more important), and she was the only prospective Jewish candidate.

But hey, at least we've got Luke Akehurst to speak for Jewish Labour members! :smithicide:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gonzo McFee posted:

Interesting read about the Labour Coup that's been in the making since Corbyn looked to win the leadership contest.

http://www.thecanary.co/2016/07/01/senior-labour-party-insider-says-plan-oust-corbyn-play-10-months-ago-exclusive/

maybe shouldn't have resigned every hour on the hour making it look very obviously organised rather than the result of benn being sacked

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jose posted:

maybe shouldn't have resigned every hour on the hour making it look very obviously organised rather than the result of benn being sacked

But if they'd dragged it out over the week or two it might have taken them to make decisions, Chilcott would have come out in the interim.

I honestly cannot ever hope to understand the thought process going on there.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I meant that the closest the Labour left got to antisemitism was Jim Murphy accusing them of it. I'm well aware of Jim Murphy's status as a rightist poo poo.

And oh yeah, I forgot it was for the NEC. I don't think my brain could handle Jim Murphy somehow still being influential at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/685716/Boris-Johnson-Michael-Gove-Rachel-Johnson-Brexit-EU-referendum-Tory-leadership

Glad its not just me who thinks that Gove is a psychopath.

• Locked thread