Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Jose posted:

maybe shouldn't have resigned every hour on the hour making it look very obviously organised rather than the result of benn being sacked

And they used their pre-bottled spin of "sacking Benn was wrong so I'm quitting" when Benn had been widely reported as having been hatching a coup in the first place. Whole thing is stupider than anything Iannucci could come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

TinTower posted:

But hey, at least we've got Luke Akehurst to speak for Jewish Labour members! :smithicide:

And vars of piss

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

And oh yeah, I forgot it was for the NEC. I don't think my brain could handle Jim Murphy somehow still being influential at that level.

The way it works is that CLPs nominate candidates for the NEC

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

is there a single picture of Gove where he doesn't look like the dumbest motherfucker imaginable

I mean Boris has a similar problem but he at least TRIES to look serious sometimes

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i honestly can't believe the overconfidence and incompetence to try and claim it wasn't organised

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jose posted:

i honestly can't believe the overconfidence and incompetence to try and claim it wasn't organised

I'd honestly have more respect for them if they just came out and admitted it this time. It's not like the papers haven't known that it was being organised for like 7 months.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Jose posted:

To be fair, this might be the best evidence AGAINST it being organised, surely with like 8 months to plan they couldn't be THIS utterly stupid, could they?

(yes)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It also shows their cowardice and lack of principles I think - it strikes me now that the likely thought process is 'well in this situation I wouldn't care what the membership said, I'd just cave to the bullying and follow orders'. They just can;t comprehend someone who doesn't cave because he believes in the principles he stood for when he got the job.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

thespaceinvader posted:

But if they'd dragged it out over the week or two it might have taken them to make decisions, Chilcott would have come out in the interim.

I honestly cannot ever hope to understand the thought process going on there.

It was a simple thought process. Soft cuddly Jeremy was supposed to step down and right now Tristam/Chucka/Hillary or whoever were supposed to be in charge without an internal party election. Right now they were supposed to be saying "we truly understand why the working class hate migrants and that it is ok", and then bracing the party to defend Blair's legacy from Chilcot.

This was not supposed to happen, as they simply did not expect him to stay. Their entire political machination was based entirely on their opponent doing exactly what they wanted him to do.

These inept fuckers looked at Jeremy Corbyn's political history and thought, "yeah, there is a man who will back down". Oddly they are victims of their own, "Corbyn isn't strong enough to be leader" narrative.

Edit: Interestingly, I imagine that they would also currently be styling the Labour party as the party of Europe, and using that to realign to the center to rope in both the young, and business interests. They are probably furious that this golden opportunity to pinch The City from the Conservatives is being squandered.

Edit, edit: Oddly that would probably represent one of the few paths to genuinely staying in europe. A centerist pro EU Labour party, with the backing of the city and the young, winning a general election on an explicit anti-brexit platform.

Desiderata fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 3, 2016

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
the funniest thing is them pretending they have lost confidence in him like theyve given him a fair shot but they have reluctantly concluded that he has to go when they have all been constantly running their mouths to the press about treachery and backstabbing since before they lost the leadership contest

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Desiderata posted:

It was a simple thought process. Soft cuddly Jeremy was supposed to step down and right now Tristam/Chucka/Hillary or whoever were supposed to be in charge without an internal party election. Right now they were supposed to be saying "we truly understand why the working class hate migrants and that it is ok", and then bracing the party to defend Blair's legacy from Chilcot.

This was not supposed to happen, as they simply did not expect him to stay. Their entire political machination was based entirely on their opponent doing exactly what they wanted him to do.

These inept fuckers looked at Jeremy Corbyn's political history and thought, "yeah, there is a man who will back down". Oddly they are victims of their own, "Corbyn isn't strong enough to be leader" narrative.

Edit: Interestingly, I imagine that they would also currently be styling the Labour party as the party of Europe, and using that to realign to the center to rope in both the young, and business interests. They are probably furious that this golden opportunity to pinch The City from the Conservatives is being squandered.

Corbyn's staring down of these idiots shows a lot of spine and a degree of willpower that makes him look like an excellent leader.

My wife just joined up to the Labour party and gave her reason as supporting Corbyn, and she is usually totally apolitical. She comes from Romania which is the main country for sleazy, bottom-feeding politics, but she said what the PLP is doing is revolting even by Romanian standards.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
"Don't worry, nobody will vote for Brexit. It's such a sure thing, we don't even need a backup plan"

*ONE BREXIT LATER*

"Once Corbyn feels even the slightest bit of pressure he'll cave and resign. It's such a sure thing, we don't even need a backup plan"

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jose posted:

Why not? Have you seen the TV reports? They never even mention it. For most people the 'reality' is that Jeremy Corbyn is bad and lost the EU referendum and his MPs are now trying to save the party. Every headline helpfully treated each resignation as a shocking new twist

They just need the cheek to go for it - I mean it was literally outlined in a newspaper article two weeks before, but they weren't called out on it when it happened. It just feels like news organisations are more interested in a dramatic rolling story and maintaining good relations with certain groups in politics

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

Corbyn's staring down of these idiots shows a lot of spine and a degree of willpower that makes him look like an excellent leader.

Yeah exactly, the sheer amount of pressure he's under and the hostility he's facing, and he's sticking to his guns and not cracking

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jul 3, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Why not? Have you seen the TV reports? They never even mention it. For most people the 'reality' is that Jeremy Corbyn is bad and lost the EU referendum and his MPs are now trying to save the party. Every headline helpfully treated each resignation as a shocking new twist

They just need the cheek to go for it - I mean it was literally outlined in a newspaper article two weeks before, but they weren't called out on it when it happened. It just feels like news organisations are more interested in a dramatic rolling story and maintaining good relations with certain groups in politics

The media is against a significant change in the status quo and a swing away from it having a lot of control over politics?

Surely NOT!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

baka kaba posted:

the "moderate" media haven't noticed that they weren't all that persuasive themselves in the referendum despite their endless tolling of the doom bell?

why would their bullshit have any more effect on an anti-establishment politician or his supporters?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

baka kaba posted:

that's basically exactly what it is

I mean surely having the news organisations constantly lie and misinform won't backfire with any kind of disastrous long-term consequences as people lose all faith in them.

At LEAST have the audcaity to imply that any disagreement with what you say or trying to bring in any kind of "facts" is evil left-wing bias that poisons your mind. This is amateur hour morally-bankrupt news fuckery.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

the "moderate" media haven't noticed that they weren't all that persuasive themselves in the referendum despite their endless tolling of the doom bell?

why would their bullshit have any more effect on an anti-establishment politician or his supporters?

Well I mean in general - if people watch the news to find out what's going on and be informed, and they get this simplistic storyline about Bad Corbyn and the noble rebels, that's what they'll know about the situation. A lot of people have no reason to suspect anything else

The problem is TV news treats everything like a soap, with DRAMATIC EVENTS and NEW TWISTS and it's obviously used as a PR outlet for those with influence. Even ignoring a desire for the status quo, I'm sure the Blairite factions and their organisations have far more influence and connections than Corbyn and his allies

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Desiderata posted:

Edit, edit: Oddly that would probably represent one of the few paths to genuinely staying in europe. A centerist pro EU Labour party, with the backing of the city and the young, winning a general election on an explicit anti-brexit platform.

Like I said earlier I think this will exist as a party in the medium term but not in Labour, as a Lib Dem group filled with Labour and Tory defectors. I do worry about how such a move would be interpreted in terms of parliament over turning the popular will of the people.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

vegetables posted:

So apparently a new study suggests about 70% of 18-24 year-olds voted in the referendum, which is about double the previous estimated turnout. Looks like young people were bothered about this after all!

Also why isn't this fact leading the article? There's been so much made of the 'young people didn't bother to vote' stat in all of the political discussion I've seen, so surely an indication that this is completely wrong is more important than "young people cried over result"

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

namesake posted:

Like I said earlier I think this will exist as a party in the medium term but not in Labour, as a Lib Dem group filled with Labour and Tory defectors. I do worry about how such a move would be interpreted in terms of parliament over turning the popular will of the people.

Yeah even if the plotters plans had come to fruition they would have had to deal with: The left wing of the party quitting in disgust; a report calling them the party of Warcrimes without being able to reasonably claim they have broken from the past; the working class being further confused by them mixing both pro-eu and anti-immigration rhetoric; and the support of the city and the youth would still not guaranteed as the former are and will always be suspicious and many of the latter are also pro-Corbyn.

I'm not saying their plan was a good one, but probably what was going on in their heads. Nor would I personally have supported it, I'm still sticking with grandpa.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.politico.eu/article/michael-gove-backing-boris-johnson-would-have-been-a-betrayal-britain-prime-minister-brexit-vote/

quote:

Both Gove and Leadsom emphasized that there are economic and trade advantages of withdrawing Britain’s membership in the EU. They said freeing up jobs now held by EU migrants is one
dey tuk yer jerbs! we'll give them back! filthy job-stealing auslaender raus!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

haha

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

*Fails to note that a lot of the jerbs dey tuk are highly-skilled and require a decade of training which we've been singularly failing to provide to our own young people for a decade.*

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

thespaceinvader posted:

*Fails to note that a lot of the jerbs dey tuk are highly-skilled and require a decade of training which we've been singularly failing to provide to our own young people for a decade.*

No, it's the picking fruit at 4AM for 60p an hour jobs that young British people are really craving.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

lol if you think they won't try to workfare it up to Save British Business

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

baka kaba posted:

well if they can also force the unemployed to buy more at the same time then maybe it'll make up for the loss in demand

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

This is what a lot of people voted Leave for so they might as well back it up, if only verbally.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
British politics is awesome. At a distance.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

baka kaba posted:

Work Makes You Free (not gonna write that in filthy foreign, though, sounds better in God's own language)

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYBIUGJvzs

And as expect. Neon Genesis Brexit has already been made.

Barry Foster posted:

Work Makes You Free (not gonna write that in filthy foreign, though, sounds better in God's own language)

Hebrew?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

IELTS english test booked, loving thing costs £155. im gonna english them so hard theyre gonna withdraw from the EU

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Extreme0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XYBIUGJvzs

And as expect. Neon Genesis Brexit has already been made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_qcL8A6NnY

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Well there it is. The final proof that I'm not actually awake and this is all a really weird dream.

https://twitter.com/KTHopkins/status/749584133903544320

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Katy Hopkins likes Jeremy Corbyn so now i'm compelled to dislike him

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Honestly Katie Hopkins could give away her entire fortune to Syrian refugees and I would still be suspicious of her motives and dislike her instinctively.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

who?!

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I wonder how this is supposed to be compatible with "of course all the EU citizens living here right now will be allowed to stay"

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

qhat posted:

Katy Hopkins likes Jeremy Corbyn so now i'm compelled to dislike him

i don';t really know what's going on there but i can see how a professional monster who everyone hates could admire someone who just told the entire political apparatus of the labour party to go gently caress itself and won

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMjNLBksxZU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'm fairly sure Jacob Rees-Mogg said something similar on Have I Got News For You once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Labour MP writes article in The Sun asking people to join the party to help remove Corbyn. I'm sure this wont backfire at all.

https://twitter.com/GloriaDePiero/status/749516836673380352

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I'm fairly sure Jacob Rees-Mogg said something similar on Have I Got News For You once.

He did. Hislop & Co were mocking Corbyn and Rees-Mogg said that while they disagree on pretty much everything, he had great respect for Corbyn as a very principled man.

• Locked thread