Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I remember Too Human being fun for a little bit, and it had some neat ideas. But it had only like four levels, which were 2 hours long. Not a lot of replay value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Rough Lobster posted:

I remember Too Human being fun for a little bit, and it had some neat ideas. But it had only like four levels, which were 2 hours long. Not a lot of replay value.

I really liked the "the gods are just hyper-advanced cyborgs" aesthetic. It's all sorts of up my alley and I wish more games utilized it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Trying to make "Baldur was killed by Loki" the ~epic plot twist~ that leads into your sequel is the dumbest loving idea I've ever heard for a story. Baldur solving his own murder mystery (the original idea) is fine, trying to play off Baldur being killed by Loki as a ~twist~ is like making a game about Jesus where you're shocked that Judas is the traitor all along.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
also the game was unfun to play and death lead to a 3 minute cutscene every loving time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ImpAtom posted:

Trying to make "Baldur was killed by Loki" the ~epic plot twist~ that leads into your sequel is the dumbest loving idea I've ever heard for a story. Baldur solving his own murder mystery (the original idea) is fine, trying to play off Baldur being killed by Loki as a ~twist~ is like making a game about Jesus where you're shocked that Judas is the traitor all along.

Playing a game about a cop or something named J.C. who tries to figure out his own attempted murder after waking from a three day long coma would be kind of fun and also really dumb.

Elfgames posted:

also the game was unfun to play and death lead to a 3 minute cutscene every loving time.

Didn't it also have MMO styled loot that dropped in tiers and the highest stuff only dropped if you played co-op or something but there was literally no reason to ever bother with any of that poo poo because you were immortal as long as you didn't care about the awful cutscenes bringing you back to life.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Every year, I go back and play Assassin's Creed 2, and maybe its branch sequels. I'm always so impressed with the detail in the cities.

If you google any landmark or large building in the game, you'll find a picture that looks just about identical to what's in the game.

What really surprised me was that, in the game, a lot of buildings have these un-level, wooden planks just nailed into the wall for seemingly no reason other than to help Ezio climb - I thought they were just there to facilitate the parkour. But if you look at pictures of Florence or Venice, you'll see those planks on a lot of the buildings. It's so cool, I think, that they could use that accurate detail to fit the gameplay.

I haven't enjoyed an AC game since those, so I can't speak to the later games, but drat. AC2 really hit a sweet spot.

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jul 2, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

LawfulWaffle posted:

I remember liking Advent Rising for the pretty simple action game that it was. Shame about never getting the sequels, but I'm not crying over it

There were so many cool bits in AR that just didn't quite work.

Dual wield any gun! Reload assault rifles one handed!

Until you want to use your psychic powers, which bizarrely take up a hand slot.

Powers adapt as you play!

Spend 5 minutes back flipping and making mind shields to rank up.

Epic baroque coral music!

That fades in and out at random.

Awesome array of vehicles!

Crap vehicles.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Captain Lavender posted:

I haven't enjoyed an AC game since those, so I can't speak to the later games, but drat. AC2 really hit a sweet spot.

Buy AC4 and nothing else cause anything that isn't 4 or 2 is poo poo. On the subject of 4 how loving great were those sea shanties?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Buy AC4 and nothing else cause anything that isn't 4 or 2 is poo poo. On the subject of 4 how loving great were those sea shanties?

Ho! Billy Riley!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

AC: Rogue is even better.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was just watching the LP of Shadow Warrior 2013, and I'm confused by the ending of Chapter 16. When I played I engaged in a Boss Fight with Orochi Zilla before he cutscenes out of the game after the Big Difficult Climax Fight but when the LPer played it skipped the Boss Fight. What happened there?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I was just watching the LP of Shadow Warrior 2013, and I'm confused by the ending of Chapter 16. When I played I engaged in a Boss Fight with Orochi Zilla before he cutscenes out of the game after the Big Difficult Climax Fight but when the LPer played it skipped the Boss Fight. What happened there?

It originally didn't have fights with Zilla, they were patched in

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you like Assassin's Creed games rather than super repetitive ship battles, Syndicate is better than Rogue or 4.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yep, still some of the most fun I've ever had playing a computer game.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
This might have been mentioned, but I've been replaying Dark Souls 3, and I have a new favorite part.

So, there's a nice underground area in the first 1/3 of the game, the Catacombs of Carthus, that's absolutely chock-full of skeletons. Aside from a few rats and slimes, you're going to be waist-deep in skeletons pretty much the whole way through. As you wander amongst the bones and detritus, occasionaly an inanimate pile of bones will reassemble itself, pop it's skull back into place, and run at you with a scimitar. The thing about skeletons is that they are dopiest chucklefucks in the entire game (grave wardens, not so much). They're a little larger than you, but they're slow, they telegraph their attacks a mile in advance, and you can knock them to bits with a single hit if you've got a blunt weapon and continue to smash them to bits as they try to reassemble themselves. The only time they're even remotely a threat is when there's more than 3 of them at once, and even then, they're not particularly difficult. Everything about them has this wonderfully morbid slapstick quality.

Now, just before the boss of the area, there's an optional path you can take by descending the remains of a bridge that you can cut down. Immediately afterwards, you enter a large room with an upper and lower level, inhabited by a rather intimidating fire demon. This dude is no joke, he's not the fastest but almost any of his attacks have the potential to completely flatten you if you aren't guarding.

But, as you enter his little arena, you might notice a pile of bones reassemble itself as you're frantically running around dodging fire blasts. If the battle happens to push you to the lower level of the room, you'll notice there's another half-dozen piles of bones scattered around the room that being to twitch and reassemble themselves. There's about 8 or 9 skeletons littered around.

The unique thing about this, though, is that this is one of the few places in the game where the monsters don't get along. The Fire demon and skeleton AIs target one another just as frequently as they target you, depending on proximity. There's only one other place in the game up until this point where you see NPC enemies attack one another, so this isn't something you're expecting. If you actually figure it out, all of a sudden you've got this hilarious 3-stooges style fight where these gangly, slow awkward skeletal rubes are just rushing this fire demon that's like 10 times their size with wild abandon. He can easily one-shot all of them, and most of his attack will wipe out one or two, but there's enough of them just piling on that they can almost take him on their own. To add to this, most of the skeletons have multiple lives. Occasionally, after being 'killed', they'll just pick themselves back up and run back into the fray. Watching this from the sidelines is the funnist loving thing, and makes a moderately difficult miniboss into a hilarious slapstick show.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

There's also a mimic you can wake up and he'll immediately join the fray with hilarious Chun-Li kicks

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
That mimic can kill the demon by itself.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

There's also a mimic you can wake up and he'll immediately join the fray with hilarious Chun-Li kicks

I love that they gave the mimics that monster kick. The first time I fought one I was like "Oh, a mimic time to kill it :geno: " and then it killed me instantly with a flying kick to the face while giggling.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In Subnautica there's a fish that's basically a a giant eye with some fins on it:

That eye is bioluminescent so it sticks out like a sore thumb at night time. If you try to catch it at night though it does some impressive jukes and change of speeds while keeping its eye closed, as a really effective method of dodging predators like yourself.

You'll be chasing a giant glowing eye one second, then it disappears and is now swimming away in a complete 180.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
They should have taken an eye which looks exactly on that and put it on a giant squid which tries to eat you.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

In the new Mirror's Edge, you barge through a lot of doors. If you use the controls from the tutorial, you smash through and keep up your momentum. But if you hit the use key, you carefully open the door and if you hit attack you'll stop and boot the door down. It's a cool detail :shobon:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
In FFXIV there are these stones you equip called job stones. They all have the same basic description:

quote:

Upon the surface of this multi-aspected crystal are carved the myriad deeds of [job name] from eras past.

One exception, the machinist job, story wise you're supposed to be the first one ever, so the description is actually:

quote:

Unlike other soul crystals, the surface of this multi-aspected stone has yet to be carved with the record of past deeds.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Started trying again playing Xenoblade Chroncles X, as I got stuck the first time against the early story boss that was level 16 - had to bump down the difficulty to beat her, then had trouble progressing from there - This time I'm going to make better use of the upgrading mechanics to add perks to my armour, and remember to keep changing my classes when they reach level 10.

The little thing I like is the ingame affection chart that updates with how the characters feel about each other, and about you to a lesser extent. It's completely unnecessary but it's kinda cool watching it fill out as sidequests are completed.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.
I'm loving the short conversations you get between characters in Overwatch even you're waiting in spawn for the game to start. Every one is just a cute little glimpse into the relationships of the team.

Big German shield dude: "You kids and your techno music! You should be listening to the classics, like Hasselhoff!"
Brazilian DJ support dude: "I can't even take you seriously right now."

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Captain Lavender posted:

Every year, I go back and play Assassin's Creed 2, and maybe its branch sequels. I'm always so impressed with the detail in the cities.

If you google any landmark or large building in the game, you'll find a picture that looks just about identical to what's in the game.

What really surprised me was that, in the game, a lot of buildings have these un-level, wooden planks just nailed into the wall for seemingly no reason other than to help Ezio climb - I thought they were just there to facilitate the parkour. But if you look at pictures of Florence or Venice, you'll see those planks on a lot of the buildings. It's so cool, I think, that they could use that accurate detail to fit the gameplay.

Assassin's Creed 2 also had one of my favorite final bosses of all time because in how many games do you get to fistfight the pope?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sad lions posted:

It's criminal that you can't replay missions in SR4.

I've been playing around with the Southern voice, and she has a similar effect in the 1950s mission. Except where the British voice switches from a cockney gangster accent to an elegant and refined upper-class accent in the 1950s, with the Southern voice she goes from a rural, stereotypically country Southern accent to a snobby, plantation-house version.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

gamingCaffeinator posted:

I'm loving the short conversations you get between characters in Overwatch even you're waiting in spawn for the game to start. Every one is just a cute little glimpse into the relationships of the team.

Big German shield dude: "You kids and your techno music! You should be listening to the classics, like Hasselhoff!"

"Have you heard Night Rocker!?"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Troy Baker boss just stops swearing.

*picks up rocket launcher* "Jeepers, this is peachy!"

It really is a shame about the lack of mission replay. I'm sitting here wanting to replay SR3 and 4 but utterly unable to decide which voice set to commit to for 50 hours. At least some kind of New Game +...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
OK, I know I'm like a year late to the party but MGS5: The Phantom Pain cannot get enough praise for being the one game where when a boss character joins your side they're just as powerful and awesome as they were when you were fighting them. Quiet being a self-sufficient one-woman killing machine is the greatest and totally worth all the long, awkward helicopter rides with her doing cringeworthy male-gazey stuff in front of the camera.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Assassin's Creed 2 also had one of my favorite final bosses of all time because in how many games do you get to fistfight the pope?

i guess grandia 2, if you don't equip yourself properly?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

i guess grandia 2, if you don't equip yourself properly?

does Final Fantasy Tactics count if you fight using a monk class?

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

BioEnchanted posted:

A thing I like about the characters is that Lo Wang isn't an idiot - he correctly guesses a major plot point based on what he knows, Koji just dismisses it because he doesn't remember it happening - which turns out to be the exact point of the twist. I thought that that was fairly clever. Also like the self aware jabs at his own oneliners:

"I think they got the POINT! Yeah.. that one was... terrible..:nyoron:"

Viscera Cleanup Detail had a Shadow Warrior level released if you bought it in Greenlight. The character/Janitor you play as (who might be Lo Wang?) keeps making stupid little one-liners about things you pick up, like a severed head - "Guess this guy... lost his head!" - and I think he makes a joke about getting paid overtime if you pick up some of the cash scattered about the level. It was more enjoyable with the wise-cracks than playing the standard silent levels.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

The chars also have great little combat barks to. I was playing as the gruff old soldier man and was shooting it out with the aforementioned DJ, when he told him to "get over here you little punk." They really went full out when it came to cramming character into an FPS.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Reaper, looks like he is designed by your brooding 14 year old nephew while listening to death metal: "Poor Winston. Has to hide away so he doesn't scare the children."
Winston, well-spoken gorilla scientist: "I don't think even children are afraid of you."

Also, if Mercy (most healiest of healers) kills someone with a melee hit she says "you might not want to tell your friends about that" to further rub in that you were slapped to death by a support.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 21:12 on Jul 3, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

gohuskies posted:

not exactly the pope but Dark Souls 3 has someone dressed similarly and there are fist weapons in the game

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You fight an entire religion in DS3. You work your way up through their entire ranks, from slaves, prisoners, jailers, worshippers, pastors, missionaries, knights, deacons, arch deacon, pontiff and then you kill the 'god' they worship.

Rigged Death Trap has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Jul 3, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

not exactly the pope but Dark Souls 3 has someone dressed similarly and there are fist weapons in the game

He's the pontiff. Google tells me "pontiff" means "The Pope". So yes, you can punch the pope to death.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Nuebot posted:

He's the pontiff. Google tells me "pontiff" means "The Pope". So yes, you can punch the pope to death.

that dude's the highest in rank, but the one in the cathedral looks more popelike

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

In some games, you can even get cuckolded by the pontiff.

Of course, there are ways to get even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Action Tortoise posted:

that dude's the highest in rank, but the one in the cathedral looks more popelike

Looks like a pope but he's just a high ranked priest.