Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Rakosi posted:

No that wasn't my entire argument (or even really a bit of it?) just an example to support the point I was making in that it is not to the liberal lefts benefit to throw around words in such an important debate.

The what now? This isn't America, we have an actual left and we are very much not liberal about e.g. the continued existence of Tories.

Edit: 35. My age 4 years ago :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

qhat posted:

not gonna read this until someone can verify whether it's bullshit or not

Yes, it's complete bullshit.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

qhat posted:

My dad also said the same thing, although he thought that celts should be permitted. And then he went on to say that hitler also viewed the celts as part of the master race lol.

:stare:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
In a truly perfect world, all races would be considered as part of Hitler's master race.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
:stonk:

(in response to someone putting an EU flag in their window)

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

TinTower posted:

A Muslim woman I know was told that she could only call herself British if she was descended from Anglo-Saxons.

Poor old Queen Lizzie...

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Am I too late to talk about posters? I have some opinuions I want you too hear about

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So, you all know that anti-Corbyn letter London Young Labour put out? It wasn't even voted for by the committee; it was just released by the leadership. At least one member of the LYL committee has resigned due to bullying from the Labour right.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

qhat posted:

not gonna read this until someone can verify whether it's bullshit or not

I don't even know who wrote this but this is going to fall apart once the Barnett Forumla is hosed by the Tories, people realise that London isn't going to be one of the four major financial centers anymore with finance and the some of the industry moving elsewhere and that last one is so loving stupid that many, many countries outside the EU like USA stated they would treat the UK third before the EU in terms of trading because the UK isn't in a good negotiation stance anymore with the rest of the trading bloc.

The third one is mostly true though who knows what will happen now and the second one rely on both the UK & The EU so if UK jobs that relied on the EU goes down, Jobs in Scotland relied on the UK that had links to the EU would too. It's also not a surprise it dosen't list the pound being hosed inside out because that would showcase the "BRITISH CURRENCY" weak and unsustainable compared to other currencies :qq:

Seriously though, where did you find this UnCO3?

TinTower posted:

Fascism is bad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TinTower posted:

Why can none of these people write in correct English?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Guavanaut posted:

Immigrants overloading our education system.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Guavanaut posted:

Bloody racists, they don't even learn the language.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/03/german-politicians-propose-offering-young-britons-dual-citizenship

quote:

Senior German politicians have suggested offering dual citizenship to young Britons in a bid to keep the UK in touch with the EU.

Sigmar Gabriel, the German vice chancellor, said he would raise the issue of dual citizenship, which is generally forbidden in Germany for non-EU citizens, in the country’s national elections next year.

“Let’s offer it to the young Britons living in Germany, Italy or France so that they can remain EU citizens,” Gabriel said at a meeting in Berlin of his centre-left Social Democratic party.

“It’s a good sign that the youth of Great Britain are more clever than their bizarre political elite,” Gabriel continued. “For that reason we can’t raise our drawbridge on them. We have to think now about what we can offer Great Britain’s younger generation.”

It's like pouring salt on a open wound except he's totally justified :allears:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Racist views and being poorly educated tend to show high correlation.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Jedit posted:

i respectfully submit that if someone starts voting UKIP the second someone called Wladislaw moves into town because the presence of one Eastern European accent is considered deleterious to their communal identity, then that person is a racist.

Hyperbolic and also dismissive of the fact that communal identities are actually a thing that is valued in many places, and is something people are prepared to vote to protect. National identity is accepted almost globally as a fact of life, but a microcosm of that feeling of identity in a community in a nation is denigrated to being called bigotry or racism. It is simply too easy to just whitewash away the whole thing as bigotry or racism and it is ignoring far too much when you do that.

When someone spends hundreds of thousands of pounds on a house in an area, it is politically just not good enough to hand wave away their concerns about communities they have invested into changing overnight (in their eyes). I get and completely understand what everyone in this thread keeps telling me about what I am saying and what my views are, but my point is that it still is just not good enough and this vote has shown this. "It's just bigots" is not a useful political dissection of this situation, and is a diagnosis of irrelevance. It doesn't go anywhere as a rhetoric, or at least it hasn't so far in this thread when posters keep throwing out the word.

So as I don't keep getting called out for being allegedly obtuse; how do you combat the racism and bigotry many of you see as so obvious a cause for all of our woes?

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 3, 2016

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

red onions are objectively better

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Rakosi posted:

Hyperbolic and also dismissive of the fact that communal identities are actually a thing that is valued in many places, and is something people are prepared to vote to protect. National identity is accepted almost globally as a fact of life, but a microcosm of that feeling of identity in a community in a nation is denigrated to being called bigotry or racism. It is simply too easy to just whitewash away the whole thing as bigotry or racism and it is ignoring far too much when you do that.

When someone spends hundreds of thousands of pounds on a house in an area, it is politically just not good enough to hand wave away their concerns about communities changing overnight (in their eyes). I get and completely understand what everyone in this thread keeps telling me about what I am saying and what my views are, but my point is that it still is just not good enough and this vote has shown this. "It's just bigots" is not a useful political dissection of this situation, and is a diagnosis of irrelevance. It doesn't go anywhere as a rhetoric, or at least it hasn't so far in this thread when posters keep throwing out the word.

So as I don't keep getting called out for being allegedly obtuse; how do you combat the racism and bigotry many of you see as so obvious a cause for all of our woes?

Shhhuuuuttt up

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Rakosi posted:

When someone spends hundreds of thousands of pounds on a house in an area, it is politically just not good enough to hand wave away their concerns about communities they have invested into changing overnight (in their eyes). I get and completely understand what everyone in this thread keeps telling me about what I am saying and what my views are, but my point is that it still is just not good enough and this vote has shown this. "It's just bigots" is not a useful political dissection of this situation, and is a diagnosis of irrelevance. It doesn't go anywhere as a rhetoric, or at least it hasn't so far in this thread when posters keep throwing out the word.

gently caress off, racist.

In all seriousness, though, migrants have made a lot community identities stronger. Eid brings communities together more than Christmas in some places. :colbert:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:clegg: has an article in the Graun arguing about a general election before Article 50 is triggered: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jul/03/britain-general-election-before-article-50

I don't disagree but c'mon Clegg why should anyone trust your lying rear end?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rakosi posted:

Not everyone who voted to leave is racist but you definitely are

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rakosi posted:

That's a lot of words for "if someone's rich enough to buy a house they get to complain about all the foreigns"

gently caress off racist, don't you have cards to be laminating or something?

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

The what now? This isn't America, we have an actual left and we are very much not liberal

Thing is, there very much is a faction of the U.K. left who end up echoing the electoral strategy of US democrats.

In the US, anti-racism as the underlying narrative works because there are lots of black people, and they are mostly allowed to vote these days. So you can build a winning coalition out of those personally affected by it, and those who see it a personal sin.

In the UK, many more of the targets of racism aren't allowed to vote. Note how even UKIP generally say 'we only mean the Poles', not those nice brown people (who are on the electoral register). A racist election strategy is only really effective when the target is either disenfranchised or, ideally, non-existent (as is the case for most places where the Leave vote was highest). People, on the whole, dislike being racisted against more than they enjoy racisting.

The one place in the UK the US plan works is London, which not only has a sizeable fraction of minorities, but, for mayoral elections, has a much wider franchise.

All of which means that as long as the topic is racism, then across large parts of the country the right will inevitably win. Doubling down on a losing strategy is counterproductive, because rather than bringing the social pressure of the majority onto the outliers, you end up doing the opposite.

To defeat the right, you need to change the topic to wages, investment, austerity, health, etc.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Rakosi posted:

pissflaps doesn't need anywhere near as many words as this you're a poo poo troll

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jose posted:

Perhaps in a salad, but not in a stew, soup, or sauce.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Angepain posted:

"IELTS is the high stakes English test"

what, do you get shot out of a cannon if you fail or something

Usually a certain IELTS level is a requirement for university places for foreign students, so high stakes in that sense I guess.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OvineYeast posted:

Nah, Militant were well-organised.

Seriously if Momentum were half as ruthless as Militant we wouldn't be in this situation right now.

(I know you're being sarcastic, but still)

I know, but it's a claim I've seen actually people make. Including a Labour MP from Middlesborough

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

Tesseraction posted:

My favourite thing is all the racists wrapping themselves in the flag of Saint George while telling foreigners to get out, ignoring that Saint George was born in Syrian Palestine.

I hear those traitors in the EDL and Britain First want a national holiday to honour this Syrian poacher of endangered species rather than one of ARE BRITTISHITIZEENS!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

DreddyMatt posted:

Usually a certain IELTS level is a requirement for university places for foreign students, so high stakes in that sense I guess.

It's high stakes because the stake is literally higher (it's £155 a pop), but the reward is greater because it's applicable in a wide range of countries. That's the general gist I got anyway.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

Perhaps in a salad, but not in a stew, soup, or sauce.

i use shallots for stews because you can keep them whole

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rakosi posted:

"It's just bigots" is not a useful political dissection of this situation, and is a diagnosis of irrelevance. It doesn't go anywhere as a rhetoric, or at least it hasn't so far in this thread when posters keep throwing out the word.

I can sort of get this, in that just knowing that people are wrong isn't really enough to bring about change on it's own and that there needs to be a plan for how to prevent Wrongness in society or whatever. And specifically, how society can be made less racist, and the things that cause racism and what can be done about those causes in order to prevent more racism being encouraged in future. But identifying racism and calling it out should at least be a part of whatever strategy we use, if not the whole thing. We can look at the causes of racism but that doesn't mean we have to excuse it, or that we should avoid calling it racism so as not to offend people who have picked up racist views. I might not be fully understanding your views because you spend about half your posts pre-emptively calling us all bastards for possibly disagreeing with you, so things get kinda hard to parse.

radmonger posted:

In the UK, many more of the targets of racism aren't allowed to vote.

I wonder if this has much effect on the Holyrood elections - EU citizens are allowed to vote, though levels of immigration from the EU are lower in Scotland, iirc. (at least, for now...)

Angepain fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 3, 2016

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes, it's complete bullshit.

Well yeah, we won't be have a financial sector much longer. Or money. Or living people. Vote EU to not die in a ditch 2017.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

i think the queen's surname could be something like

saxe-coburg-gotha-Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg before they anglicized it

or something; philip is/was the prince of greece and denmark

Which makes her pretty saxon :colbert:

Jose posted:

Can't make a decent gravy with them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Things red onions are better at: Chutney, sandwich

Things white onions are better at: Everything else

I'm not racist I'm just saying white onions are superior.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

And Things green onions are better at: Being a song

We must not ever forget the wonderful sounds of Booker T & The MGs

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

every gravy i've made has had juice/fat from the meat used to make it which is most important. red onions were fine

i've not actually made this spring onion dip but it sounds well good

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/27/onion-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

every gravy i've made has had juice/fat from the meat used to make it which is most important. red onions were fine

i've not actually made this spring onion dip but it sounds well good

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/mar/27/onion-recipes-yotam-ottolenghi

Liver + onion gravy is good. Can't make gravy without the onions.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Rakosi posted:

If you get hot and bothered by the mere idea of a Muslim or Eastern European family moving in next door you actually are probably a racist.

I mean, I've been an immigrant in four European countries and I like to think I was a respectable citizen there. Would I be considered 'one of the good ones' in your view if you were one of my Swiss, Swedish, Italian or German neighbors?

I'm not denying there aren't growing pains at time (I lived in Germany during the Yugoslav wars and it was a bit tough for all the Bosnians who came) but there was no long term problem.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Great, just saw all the American comedians are mocking how dumb the British are. The end times are upon us...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
White onions are best when strung around the neck of a Frenchman on a bicycle.

• Locked thread