Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

ShredsYouSay posted:

Great, just saw all the American comedians are mocking how dumb the British are. The end times are upon us...

Don't worry, we may have a trump card to pla... OHGODWEALLGONNADIE

Edit*

1936 some fash did some fash stuff and people got ticked off some thing something spitfire arrr lads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rakosi posted:

Hyperbolic and also dismissive of the fact that communal identities are actually a thing that is valued in many places, and is something people are prepared to vote to protect. National identity is accepted almost globally as a fact of life, but a microcosm of that feeling of identity in a community in a nation is denigrated to being called bigotry or racism. It is simply too easy to just whitewash away the whole thing as bigotry or racism and it is ignoring far too much when you do that.

When someone spends hundreds of thousands of pounds on a house in an area, it is politically just not good enough to hand wave away their concerns about communities they have invested into changing overnight (in their eyes). I get and completely understand what everyone in this thread keeps telling me about what I am saying and what my views are, but my point is that it still is just not good enough and this vote has shown this. "It's just bigots" is not a useful political dissection of this situation, and is a diagnosis of irrelevance. It doesn't go anywhere as a rhetoric, or at least it hasn't so far in this thread when posters keep throwing out the word.

So as I don't keep getting called out for being allegedly obtuse; how do you combat the racism and bigotry many of you see as so obvious a cause for all of our woes?

Hahaha holy poo poo "no you see if we let them loving poles move in it will lower house prices and this is a legitimate complaint"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

Liver + onion gravy is good. Can't make gravy without the onions.

i don't eat offal mostly on the basis i can afford not to. currently finishing off some pork cheek stew though

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ShredsYouSay posted:

Great, just saw all the American comedians are mocking how dumb the British are. The end times are upon us...

we were laughing at them for pretty much the entirety of the Bush years so it's only fair

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

keep punching joe posted:

White onions are best when strung around the neck of a Frenchman on a bicycle.

What seasonings do you put on the Frenchman and how long do you put it on for?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Paul Flynn, who was appointed shadow leader of the house to replace bryant , getting the nod for shadow secretary for wales

What does that leave - Housing, Mental Health and Business?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

i don't eat offal mostly on the basis i can afford not to. currently finishing off some pork cheek stew though

That's a guillotinin'

Though really liver is very nice and I will almost universally pick it instead of venison because they taste similar.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/HamishP95/status/749626320741658624

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

He's not wrong, but sadly the source will blind most of the people who need persuading to the reality.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

A selection of the responses:

"They mean the propaganda was not enough and the people should have been conditioned more."
"I welcome education about the EU. The more I learn about it, the more horrorfied I am, the more I'm glad to have voted leave."
"it's a bit rich to call leave voters uneducated when Switzerland didn't even join the EU"

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

What exactly is the UK doing wrong wrt education? "not enough money" isn't really a good answer.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Given most younger people voted to remain, wouldn't the lack of investment have had to have happened decades ago?

Robot Mil
Apr 13, 2011

Rakosi posted:

Hyperbolic and also dismissive of the fact that communal identities are actually a thing that is valued in many places, and is something people are prepared to vote to protect. National identity is accepted almost globally as a fact of life, but a microcosm of that feeling of identity in a community in a nation is denigrated to being called bigotry or racism. It is simply too easy to just whitewash away the whole thing as bigotry or racism and it is ignoring far too much when you do that.

When someone spends hundreds of thousands of pounds on a house in an area, it is politically just not good enough to hand wave away their concerns about communities they have invested into changing overnight (in their eyes). I get and completely understand what everyone in this thread keeps telling me about what I am saying and what my views are, but my point is that it still is just not good enough and this vote has shown this. "It's just bigots" is not a useful political dissection of this situation, and is a diagnosis of irrelevance. It doesn't go anywhere as a rhetoric, or at least it hasn't so far in this thread when posters keep throwing out the word.

So as I don't keep getting called out for being allegedly obtuse; how do you combat the racism and bigotry many of you see as so obvious a cause for all of our woes?

If one person moving into your village or town from a different ethnicity to you causes you to question your national or personal identity then you need to get a grip mate.

If same causes you to think that your community is being 'changed overnight' then you are probably racist. Also lol at buying a house making you more important to your community.

Not sure how to combat it. Would a French or Swedish person moving into an area create as much discomfort for racists/xenophobes than a Polish or Bangladesh person? Probably not for all sorts of complex reasons. You could perhaps do your part by not defending racists though.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NLJP posted:

If you get hot and bothered by the mere idea of a Muslim or Eastern European family moving in next door you actually are probably a racist.

You want to get to a conversation like this one, except replace "it's not your fault" with "you're a massive racist".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtkST5-ZFHw&t=24s
How you go about this with the 17,410,741 other people is the question.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

qhat posted:

What exactly is the UK doing wrong wrt education? "not enough money" isn't really a good answer.

Education is actually one of those things where no, yeah just throw money at it and it would actually straight up improve things in most regards.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-britaineurope-tax-idUSKCN0ZJ0MG

That's us hosed our status as a tax haven.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

More money is actually a really good answer at the moment. Teachers are chronically overworked/underpaid and teach classes which are too large. Retention is very low at the moment. Rather than laying teachers more the dfe is attempting to give people big tax free grants to do teacher training and hope they stay for long enough to make up for the cost.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

qhat posted:

Not enough money.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HJB posted:

A selection of the responses:

"They mean the propaganda was not enough and the people should have been conditioned more."
"I welcome education about the EU. The more I learn about it, the more horrorfied I am, the more I'm glad to have voted leave."
"it's a bit rich to call leave voters uneducated when Switzerland didn't even join the EU"

I like the one which accuses the CEO of credit Suisse of being left wing

E:like he probably is quite left wing on social issues but still

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!

vegetables posted:

Given most younger people voted to remain, wouldn't the lack of investment have had to have happened decades ago?

We've had periods post WW II where a decent amount of investment was put towards education, developing a solid curriculum and ensuring children actually received it, then we've had periods where it was not so good. Offhand more money would allow for training and hiring more teachers, reducing class sizes and teacher burnout as well as providing more up to date materials and resources for those in education. Then there's further education, providing more spaces to the disadvantaged and a wider range of courses amongst other things.

Just throwing money at the problem certainly won't help but more money is definitely required to educate and train people if we want to have a working society post-Brexit.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Firos posted:

Education is actually one of those things where no, yeah just throw money at it and it would actually straight up improve things in most regards.

Not that there isn't better ways to use that money: But in general the more staffing you throw at teaching the better it gets. You get diminishing returns pretty quickly once classes get below 20ish, and training teachers better is more effective than having more of them. But money always helps.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Didn't England literally privatize/charterize all of their schools recently?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Rakosi posted:

Lokalpatriotismus is tolerable and quaint when it's half serious, but gently caress anyone who gets hot and bothered about dilution of their ~precious local identity~.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

qhat posted:

Not enough money and also constant political interference. Secondary education forces teachers to teach to the test and leaves very little room for creative teaching methods which react properly to students' needs & interest. Higher education has things like the REF which put all sorts of perverse incentives on academics (forsaking good, deep research in favour of rapid publication of easy results).

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

OvineYeast posted:

Not enough money and also constant political interference.
See also: the NHS, and gently caress it pretty much everything else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

that sort of died.

i bet it would cost less money to run pro-caning propaganda and then having a referendum on bringing back instead of spending more on teachers though

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

icantfindaname posted:

that was the idea, it was a disaster, so they're trying to do it in a creeping barrage style now

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

It's worth mentioning that however many people from other communities move in around you, nothing's stoping you personally from being English As All Hell (well, except the police if you take it to a real extreme I guess)

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

tooterfish posted:

See also: the NHS, and gently caress it pretty much everything else.

Considering the tories have such an anti-state ideology I'm amazed how actively they want to interfere in the sectors they don't privatise.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

NLJP posted:

It's worth mentioning that however many people from other communities move in around you, nothing's stoping you personally from being English As All Hell (well, except the police if you take it to a real extreme I guess)

my grandad was a german jew so i'm hosed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NLJP posted:

No if you are English around foreigners the police come and lock you up for breaking sharia law. Second offence they cut off you hand.

I heard about it on the telly.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

icantfindaname posted:

They tried but I think plans got abandoned after everyone told them this was a stupid idea.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
What does 'charterize' mean in this context? (Don't know much about UK politics or systems generally)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

What does 'charterize' mean in this context? (Don't know much about UK politics or systems generally)

The term is from America, where "Charter schools" are privately run schools with less oversight ran by private bodies (and they can be selective aswell)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno where "charterize" comes from but it's basically they sell off the school to a business sponsor and remove all national oversight over standards and curriculums.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

There's a system of schools called 'academies' which are independent of local control and often sponsored by private foundations, similar to charter schools in US. Tory plan was to forcibly turn all schools into academies. They've stepped back on that but they're still pressuring schools into becoming academies in general.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

qhat posted:

Not enough money, not enough training, lovely curriculum, poor inspection methods, easier exams, little social/political/economic education.

vegetables posted:

It did and still is. I'd argue that the evidence points to it from both directions, both in Leave voters among the older generations, and in lower turnout among the younger.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

pointsofdata posted:

More money is actually a really good answer at the moment. Teachers are chronically overworked/underpaid and teach classes which are too large. Retention is very low at the moment. Rather than laying teachers more the dfe is attempting to give people big tax free grants to do teacher training and hope they stay for long enough to make up for the cost.

To clarify, what I meant about it not really being a good answer is it says nothing about where more money needs to go. i.e are the resources bad and cheap, teachers underpaid, not enough teachers actually being paid, etc. It sounds like from your post and others that actually it's all of the above?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

It did and still is. I'd argue that the evidence points to it from both directions, both in Leave voters among the older generations, and in lower turnout among the younger.

Latest figures suggest turnout wasn't *that* much lower among the younger - around 60-70% it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Privately managed with little or no public oversight, paid for with public tax money

• Locked thread