Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Super Mario Sunshine is a mediocre Mario but its amazing for speedruns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

cool

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

you could have just not made this post and not said anything, but instead you did

hmm. which was the better option, i wonder

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've never understood the naming incentives and they always feel really in-jokey but I have no idea from where?

Internet Kraken posted:

Super Mario Sunshine is a mediocre Mario but its amazing for speedruns.

As a person who's unable to play the Galaxy games, I think Sunshine is of the best Mario games :smith:

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
https://twitter.com/gdqisno1/status/749657307005456384

It's happening

(The account is a bot that will Tweet this for every game if it's #1)

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Super Mario Sunshine is #1 on Twitch.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lotsa people here asking for an HD port of this game, which I'm down for but has Mario ever given a significant update/port of any mainline mario games to modern systems? All I can think of is mario all-stars.

edit: meant to say nintendo but leaving it cause it's funny thinking mario produces his own video games

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

beep by grandpa posted:

Lotsa people here asking for an HD port of this game, which I'm down for but has Mario ever given a significant update/port of any mainline mario games to modern systems? All I can think of is mario all-stars.

edit: meant to say nintendo but leaving it cause it's funny thinking mario produces his own video games

there was the pretty good remake of 64 for the DS that introduced three new playable characters (wario, luigi, and yoshi) and a bunch of extra levels, as well as better graphics.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

I mean, Mario 64 DS maybe counts?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

hn yeah but that only kinda halfway counts cause it's not a true hd port. I wonder why they don't do HD ports of mario?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

The best part of this was Stamper challenging him to read them as the character and berating him for not putting enough enthusiasm into it, and then that happens.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

beep by grandpa posted:

An underrated classic.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

hn yeah but that only kinda halfway counts cause it's not a true hd port. I wonder why they don't do HD ports of mario?

They only just started doing HD ports this gen with the Zelda series. I'd pay good money for them to do Sunshine and the Galaxy games next.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Your Computer posted:

I've never understood the naming incentives and they always feel really in-jokey but I have no idea from where?

They are really in-jokey and I'm sorry you're not cool enough to understand the jokes.

(i don't get them either)

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

nice!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
That skip!

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
The movement tech in Sunshine is insanely fun to watch

also, anyone else besides me excited for Trauma Center: Second Opinion? Really good players are blindingly fast in that game

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wish Nintendo would release an entire game that's just blooper surfing, just sayin'.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

How Rude posted:

also, anyone else besides me excited for Trauma Center: Second Opinion? Really good players are blindingly fast in that game

I've never seen a run of it before and it's certainly something new so colour me at least interested

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I'm sure there are Trve Kvlt Speedrunners who disagree, but I'd much rather have a personally engaging runner who explains what's happening even while he makes a few mistakes than a robot who bangs out a slightly faster time.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Oyster posted:

Incoming infodump of non-speedrunning things:

March 18th of last year she was diagnosed with anaplastic astrocytoma, grade 3 brain cancer. It was caught because it was restricting the spinal fluid ventricle in her brain, making movement on the right side of her body difficult. She stopped being right handed, then headaches started, she slept a ton, and her right eye stopped dilating. Through all that she maintained that everything was fine - she became left handed because it was the cool thing to do. Even in the hospital we'd play New Super Mario Bros with her on D-pad and me jumping.

After a 17 hour brain surgery (20 hours including prep time) removed 60% of the tumor she was still unable to walk or move her right arm. 2 months of physical therapy got her walking again and able to move her arm, but she never regained the ability to open her right hand. Still, she's always been into art and that didn't stop her, she became just as good if not better with her left hand. She played a lot of Pokémon, and her left hand became pretty strong from simply holding her 3DS with only that. In November, after her course of radiotherapy was complete, it was deemed that the tumor was undetectable. The word remission isn't used with this type of cancer because it is so aggressive, but recurrence usually happens in two years and hopes were high. She got Wish of the Year from Make-A-Wish foundation, got to go to Cardiff for the Doctor Who Experience, and became their poster child on social media for her motto, "Never give up! Keep on smiling!"

It recurred in February. It was the size of a pea then. Still, you wouldn't be able to tell by interacting with her, outside of her limp when she walked and her right hand in a perpetual fist. She easily passed through school, even when she left three times a week for chemo/pentam/PT. An overexcited kid wasn't watching where he was going and ran into her in March, knocking her over and breaking her right arm in 5 places. She didn't mind, she didn't use it anyway.

In April she started complaining about not being able to play the games her three little siblings were playing, so I showed her Halfcoordinated's GDQ runs. It blew her mind, that something could be done so well with only one hand. After one of his interviews, when he was asked "what do you want to do next?" and his response was "I don't know, I just want to play games fast." she said "I DO TOO!" and immediately grabbed a wii classic controller, booted up DKC, and tried it. When she didn't do very well at that she switched to Link to the Past, and her little siblings hated that she was better at that than they were. I was just happy she was enjoying games again.

In June she went to Reason Rally in DC. She got to sit in Obama's chair in the Oval Office and Situation Room, and got to stand at the Press Briefing Podium. She went to New York and got her picture taken with Ivanka Trump. She's quite the bipartisan girl for being 12. But it was then that she started showing symptoms again. Her short-term memory started fading, she asked for her meds a few minutes after taking them, and she started repeating things she had just said.

Right after she got back she had an MRI that showed that the tumor had spread to the spinal fluid ventricle on the opposite side of her brain and into her prefrontal cortex. It was recommended that chemo be stopped and hospice called in to prepare for the end. That was 3 weeks ago.

She hasn't had chemo since and has gone downhill quickly. Her conversations are fragmented at times. There are times when she responds with "Yes", "Thank you", or "I love you" to everything said to her. She gets tired very, very quickly. Her coordination has become nearly non-existent. Two days ago she became incontinent. Yesterday she couldn't sit upright on her own.

She is at Beaumont Clinic right now being evaluated for a trial in hyperfractionation, which essentially is microdosing radiation. She was maxed on traditional radiotherapy last year, but that is what had the most success in combating the tumor. She passes all the prerequisites; partial resection, full course of traditional radiotherapy, and chemo proven ineffective, but she's not over 18 so is disqualified from the trial. They are making a compassionate use case to give her the treatment without putting her in the trial itself. They may tell her to start on Monday. They may say that she's already too far gone. We're all pretty nervous.

Her three siblings all enjoy playing with her. Mostly Pokémon - I set up a system where I started them with the 3rd gen games and would graduate them to the next generation upon obtaining an arbitrary number of pokemon so they would have to trade with each other. Samantha had been ruling - the youngest is in Heart Gold, the other two are in Diamond/Pearl, Samantha is in X. My role has largely been to make sure the other three haven't been forgotten and liase with the hospital as I work at where she went for treatment. My stepfather put it best when he said that their other three kids have been sidelined and I'm the sideline coach.

I'm going to SGDQ because she asked me to, even three days ago. She still wants to talk to Half. She still wants to see what its like. But if the worst happens I'll be flying out of there faster than I can start ranting about Megaman.

I'm sure that is far more information than you wanted. That's actually the first time it's all been put in one place. Wow.

In case people want to understand why some of us here want to get Sam as the file name for A Link Between Worlds, instead of just posting spiteful edgelord shite.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ah yes the "arin hanson" strat

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

How Rude posted:

:yeah:

I tried to get good at dual-stylus tech in the DS game, it feels really good when you go fast in those games

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Save a Blooper, save a life

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
lmfao I didnt know you could do that without a blooper

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Incoherence posted:

I'm sure there are Trve Kvlt Speedrunners who disagree, but I'd much rather have a personally engaging runner who explains what's happening even while he makes a few mistakes than a robot who bangs out a slightly faster time.

Pretty sure everyone agrees since this is an entertainment event, but there probably aren't actually that many speedrunners who are also good at entertaining an audience (AND explaining while playing).

Speedrunning is kinda niche, and kinda nerdy.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Crain posted:

In case people want to understand why some of us here want to get Sam as the file name for A Link Between Worlds, instead of just posting spiteful edgelord shite.

i think everyone in this thread gets why Sam is being rooted for in this thread but bear in mind the other 121,000 people watching the stream do not know about her story. I will be happy if that name wins but posting stupid poo poo in here getting legit angry (not saying you are doing this) and saying they won't watch the run if some other name wins is unbearably stupid and embarrassing

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Your Computer posted:

Pretty sure everyone agrees since this is an entertainment event, but there probably aren't actually that many speedrunners who are also good at entertaining an audience (AND explaining while playing).

Speedrunning is kinda niche, and kinda nerdy.

WitWix is/was great at it. I loved his IWBTB runs. But he was also a total robot at running that game and had basically min-maxed it. so there was nothing new to be had for it.

Still worth going back and watching them though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Crain posted:

thats great but how many of the people voting for jeff actually know any of that

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Good lord that bonus stage :stare:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

beep by grandpa posted:

remember it was just 3 years ago we had to endure this eyesore:

wow what the gently caress that is no way to talk about funkdoc

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

if jeff winning is make you mad irl i would recommend donating to the name or use your social networks to encourage your friends and family to also donate to the cause.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

beep by grandpa posted:

i think everyone in this thread gets why Sam is being rooted for in this thread but bear in mind the other 121,000 people watching the stream do not know about her story. I will be happy if that name wins but posting stupid poo poo in here getting legit angry (not saying you are doing this) and saying they won't watch the run if some other name wins is unbearably stupid and embarrassing

has that even happened

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
Sam filename is in the lead at $1,095.00 :toot:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fawf posted:

has that even happened

Rirse posted:

Ugh, the Sam donation is down by 300 dollars to the stupid Jeff name. Going to skip that run if it wins.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Fawf posted:

has that even happened

yea read my earlier posts i quoted some baby in here.

CrashCat posted:

wow what the gently caress that is no way to talk about funkdoc

I thought of the samme joke but decided it would be in poor taste to make fun of my friend blueglass

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Endorph posted:

thats great but how many of the people voting for jeff actually know any of that

I'm not worried about them. I know that most people watching this outside of this and the speedrun thread know about Sam and Oyster's situation.

Saying you'll boycott a run if something doesn't win is dumb, but it's way less dumb than this:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

If I could actually afford it I would donate to Jeff just to spite you.

Which is what that post is really aimed at.

This concludes "getting too serious" for, hopefully, this event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Save 2 bloopers, use one. I know how this PETA poo poo works, you can't fool me

• Locked thread