Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

qhat posted:

To clarify, what I meant about it not really being a good answer is it says nothing about where more money needs to go. i.e are the resources bad and cheap, teachers underpaid, not enough teachers actually being paid, etc. It sounds like from your post and others that actually it's all of the above?

Yeah, classes are too big (not money for enough teachers) and teachers (who are clever people and have other places to go, particularly as the recession has eased) aren't really given incentives to stay (not enough pay for individual teachers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

qhat posted:

What exactly is the UK doing wrong wrt education? "not enough money" isn't really a good answer.

The fact that the largest provider of education materials, testing etc in the UK (Pearson) is in a world of poo poo for corruption in the US with no comparable legal action here in the UK as far as I am aware is pretty telling.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

OvineYeast posted:

There's a system of schools called 'academies' which are independent of local control and often sponsored by private foundations, similar to charter schools in US. Tory plan was to forcibly turn all schools into academies. They've stepped back on that but they're still pressuring schools into becoming academies in general.

Also a lot of perfectly good but old school buildings were torn down and rebuilt as pretty useless (for teaching) modern buildings during the first rollout of academies in London. It was a huge waste of money and time and yes the modern charter school system as proposed allowed the sponsors to shape the curriculum.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jiggerypokery posted:

The fact that the largest provider of education materials, testing etc in the UK (Pearson) is in a world of poo poo for corruption in the US with no comparable legal action here in the UK as far as I am aware is pretty telling.

Yep, that too. The testing structure (what little I've found out about it anyway) iis pretty hideous.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I must say, as much as I enjoyed the GOP thread, I feel that the change to UKMT was worth it. It's like following an american show and then watching the original UK version, and realize that while the plot is pretty much the same and the original may have less special effects and is harder to follow, the elaborate story lines and cynical world view provide greater entertainment.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Rincewinds posted:

I must say, as much as I enjoyed the GOP thread, I feel that the change to UKMT was worth it. It's like following an american show and then watching the original UK version, and realize that while the plot is pretty much the same and the original may have less special effects and is harder to follow, the elaborate story lines and cynical world view provide greater entertainment.

Did you know we made the original 'House of Cards'?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Also I think the ukmt has been more of a good read recently because there has been a lot of genuinely stupid and dramatic poo poo happening over the past month

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

NLJP posted:

It's worth mentioning that however many people from other communities move in around you, nothing's stoping you personally from being English As All Hell (well, except the police if you take it to a real extreme I guess)

nothing more English than going out and killing foreigns

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

Which looks like our current politics would look like if any of our politicians had even a shred of competence!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

qhat posted:

Also I think the ukmt has been more of a good read recently because there has been a lot of genuinely stupid and dramatic poo poo happening over the past month

:agreed:

As a dumb American trying to understand British politics, I've learned more in the last month than in the last several years combined. You guys sure do know how to put on a show.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The education thing is a good soundbite and all, but the people who most voted against Brexit were educated 40-50 years ago. The British education system's hopefully come a long way since then. Maybe having strong education now will prevent a similar disaster half a century down the line.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Francis Urquhart is looking pretty good right now

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Angepain posted:

nothing more English than going out and killing foreigns

Did you know that "Wales" means foreigners? Literally the first thing the English did as a people was to show up in someone else's country and complain about all the foreigners, setting the stage nicely for the following 1500 years.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

qhat posted:

Francis Urquhart is looking pretty good right now

He had David Cameron's agenda with many times the competence. He managed to turn Britain into a hellhole ruined by austerity while getting rid of a troublesome King and he stayed in power without shooting himself in the head. He had someone else do it for him

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Baron Corbyn posted:

Did you know that "Wales" means foreigners? Literally the first thing the English did as a people was to show up in someone else's country and complain about all the foreigners, setting the stage nicely for the following 1500 years.

in fairness we did a little more than complain that time

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

OvineYeast posted:

in fairness we did a little more than complain that time

You could replace "complain about" with "murder" in my joke and it wouldn't be any less true.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Antti posted:

The education thing is a good soundbite and all, but the people who most voted against Brexit were educated 40-50 years ago. The British education system's hopefully come a long way since then. Maybe having strong education now will prevent a similar disaster half a century down the line.

It hasn't come on as far as you might hope.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

By the way, speaking of Wales. In her hagiography of Angela Eagle, Polly Toynbee mentions Owen Smith as an aside, and randomly drops in that he can't be the next Labour leader because he's Welsh (he represents a Welsh constituency but is actually English). Why would him being Welsh have any relevance?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Jose posted:

that sort of died.

Nope, and in fact has been expanded

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

jiggerypokery posted:

Is it the part were we all die shouting "DAAAAAAAADY!"?

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

Baron Corbyn posted:

By the way, speaking of Wales. In her hagiography of Angela Eagle, Polly Toynbee mentions Owen Smith as an aside, and randomly drops in that he can't be the next Labour leader because he's Welsh (he represents a Welsh constituency but is actually English). Why would him being Welsh have any relevance?

Cause the last Welsh prime Minster was David Lloyd George and we all know how well that worked out. Now Welsh people are banned from prime ministering, it's the called the Arthur Pendragon Law. Basically the only time a Welshman can be leader is if the prophets say a global war is likely to break out.

Which is why Stephen Crabb is the most likely next Prime Minster.

Edit;

But seriously, "some say" is basically code for "no good reason but if I make it sound like people have that opinion it becomes fact by fake popular decree"

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 3, 2016

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Nope, and in fact has been expanded

Yeah, it definitely has not died. All schools will probably be academised by 2020.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Baron Corbyn posted:

English Votes for English Laws innit

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

angela eagle lol

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Looke posted:

angela eagle lol

She's going to win leadership and destroy the dread May, I'm 99% sure.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Every Academy Trust that Cameron or Gove have visited or mentioned by name has been embroiled in a financial scandal.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Not Operator posted:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not Operator posted:

I'm not sure the tories would let her enter the competition though I feel that she might win if she did.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Baron Corbyn posted:

Less then a month after this knockout blow, she would come third, with less then one third of Corbyn's votes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Total Meatlove posted:

Every Academy Trust that Cameron or Gove have visited or mentioned by name has been embroiled in a financial scandal.
It's almost as if the primary function of these things is not to improve educational standards, but to funnel tax money into private hands.

I'm shocked that the Tories would do such a th... oh wait no I'm not.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

tooterfish posted:

It's almost as if the primary function of these things is not to improve educational standards, but to funnel tax money into private hands.

I'm shocked that the Tories would do such a th... oh wait no I'm not.

The plan is to do it quietly and without any fuss, not as Perry Groves thought, paying a third party a shitload of money to employ your 'executive head' on an additional salary.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

qhat posted:

What exactly is the UK doing wrong wrt education? "not enough money" isn't really a good answer.

Much like healthcare, the two sides of the equation are the amount of people using the system and the capacity of the system (which broadly correlates with investment).

If the system is struggling, you can either say "it needs more money" or "it needs fewer users (and the same amount of money)". One of these options is inherently monstrous and not worth considering by any civilised person.

PS when I read that tweet that was all "poor education is the cause of brexit" my first thought wasn't of idiot proles getting gulled by the media, but of the fact that most leading politicians all went to the same few schools.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I really do wish school taught civics more.

Or rather, at all.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

I really do wish school taught civics more.

Or rather, at all.

In what way would that be in the interest of the Conservative Party?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Baron Corbyn posted:

I wouldn't call Owen Smith English to his face.

He was born in England sure but raised in Wales and is dad is Dai Smith, former chair of the arts council of Wales and prominent welsh (and welsh labour) historian.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gort posted:

In what way would that be in the interest of the Conservative Party?

It might allow them to just lose elections instead of die in nuclear fire/in a guillotine eventually.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I'm just concerned how utterly without explanation her statement was. Welsh people can no longer become PM? When did this happen?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Regarde Aduck posted:

I'm just concerned how utterly without explanation her statement was. Welsh people can no longer become PM? When did this happen?

I think it's just standard classism - regional accents aren't Electable

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

He'll just waste all the countriy's money on male vocal choirs and leeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

kustomkarkommando posted:

I wouldn't call Owen Smith English to his face.

He was born in England sure but raised in Wales and is dad is Dai Smith, former chair of the arts council of Wales and prominent welsh (and welsh labour) historian.
So he's as English as Coohoolin then? :v:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I think it's just standard classism - regional accents aren't Electable
Do you think that'll change? There's a lot more regional accents on the news than even 15 years ago.

• Locked thread