Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

Do you still post about racing and building that car? Cosworthless always made me smile.

The Charade was rolled in 2013 at a Chumpcar race and I haven't done much since. I built a 1978 Subaru 4WD Wagon which I sold on eBay, after that, and other than that haven't done much wrenchin' for fun since having a daughter a week after that Chumpcar race. I purchased the aforementioned 323 GTX last November and have been trying to clean it up into a usable car since. Its just about ready to drive on the street, but I rarely have time to with a full time job, big commute, and kid-sitting on the evenings and weekends. I just started as employee #1 at a local WISP I'd been a customer of, and that has kept me incredibly busy.

On the plus side, my 1988 Mazda 323 Wagon just passed its 275,000 mile mark (442,000Km), and that GTX was supposed to be a drivetrain donor to make it the only 4WD 323 GTX Wagon in the world (there was a JDM only 4WD non-turbo 323 Wagon), but I really don't want to cut up the car, I'm the second owner and haven't seen another 323 Wagon in at least a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since you made that thread. Keep that car as is, it's a time capsule of excellence.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Rhyno posted:

I can't believe it's been nearly 3 years since you made that thread. Keep that car as is, it's a time capsule of excellence.

Its been a while, thats for sure. I also just munched my only good GTX gearbox, the trans oil drain plug fell out and I did my little rallycross course on my property, now the front diff bangs and 5th grinds :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My '09 3 hatch developed a horrible rattling when it goes over anything rough a day or so ago. I checked and my rear strut is leaking so it's probably super hosed. I'm not 100% convinced that that's the rattling noise -- it sounds like a half-full shopping cart going over gravel -- but at the same time I have to plan to replace them. On a scale of ONE to CABIN AIR FILTER, how difficult is a shock replacement on a 3 hatch? I'm not above trying to DIY -- I've done some odd jobs on it, and I have access to a clean garage at my folks' place, but if it's going to be a super pain in the dick then I'll just pay to get it done.

edit: I guess I mean do I need any sort of specialized knowledge or experience, or is this something a first timer is likely to get right?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

DJ Commie posted:

The Charade was rolled in 2013 at a Chumpcar race and I haven't done much since. I built a 1978 Subaru 4WD Wagon which I sold on eBay, after that, and other than that haven't done much wrenchin' for fun since having a daughter a week after that Chumpcar race. I purchased the aforementioned 323 GTX last November and have been trying to clean it up into a usable car since. Its just about ready to drive on the street, but I rarely have time to with a full time job, big commute, and kid-sitting on the evenings and weekends. I just started as employee #1 at a local WISP I'd been a customer of, and that has kept me incredibly busy.

On the plus side, my 1988 Mazda 323 Wagon just passed its 275,000 mile mark (442,000Km), and that GTX was supposed to be a drivetrain donor to make it the only 4WD 323 GTX Wagon in the world (there was a JDM only 4WD non-turbo 323 Wagon), but I really don't want to cut up the car, I'm the second owner and haven't seen another 323 Wagon in at least a decade.

Funny how life catches up with us and pulls us out of racing. I sold my rotary sprite and don't have any more Yugos at the moment, either. :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Martytoof posted:

My '09 3 hatch developed a horrible rattling when it goes over anything rough a day or so ago. I checked and my rear strut is leaking so it's probably super hosed. I'm not 100% convinced that that's the rattling noise -- it sounds like a half-full shopping cart going over gravel -- but at the same time I have to plan to replace them. On a scale of ONE to CABIN AIR FILTER, how difficult is a shock replacement on a 3 hatch? I'm not above trying to DIY -- I've done some odd jobs on it, and I have access to a clean garage at my folks' place, but if it's going to be a super pain in the dick then I'll just pay to get it done.

edit: I guess I mean do I need any sort of specialized knowledge or experience, or is this something a first timer is likely to get right?

I just had rear shocks/struts/mounts done, was 500 bucks and a few hours work at the shop. I'm not above doing my own work either, but all my tools are 4 hours away.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
I'm noticing a slight tapping noise in the interior of my 2016 MAZDA3 i Sport either in the driver's side door, A pillar, or dash. It is only noticeable when I go over a bump on the highway when it isn't very hot out (< 70 Fahrenheit). Does anybody else in this thread have this car and has noticed this problem?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Rear shocks are really easy on the mazda 3, especially with air or electric tools. There is one 17mm bolt on the bottom and two 13 or 14 mm nuts on top for each side. Thats all you need to take off to get the old shocks out. You'll probably have to transfer over the upper mount which is just one nut on the end of the piston.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excellent, thanks guys. I'll probably do this next time I'm up at their place, that's about the only time I take the car out anymore anyway.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

silence_kit posted:

I'm noticing a slight tapping noise in the interior of my 2016 MAZDA3 i Sport either in the driver's side door, A pillar, or dash. It is only noticeable when I go over a bump on the highway when it isn't very hot out (< 70 Fahrenheit). Does anybody else in this thread have this car and has noticed this problem?

Stupid idea that was borne from my own experience: Take the sunglasses out of the ceiling holder. Up until that point it was driving me up a loving wall. Early manufacturing runs also have a bulletin out on cowl rattle (sounds like it's coming from the A pillars) which shouldn't apply to you. I've also noticed having a drink in a plastic cup in the cupholder can make a shitload of noise and just holding it up dampens everything. Seriously it's like that scene from Contact when the seat breaks off the floor of the alien pod! Check all your cupholders and glove box for any weird crap that might be vibrating.

I know this isn't the Miata thread but earlier today I saw a guy in a current gen Miata, crystal pearl white mica with LED daylights, top down, afternoon sun hitting it, and it was beautiful and for a brief moment I wished I had that. The 3rd gen Mazda3 hatchback only has about eight more cubic square feet of functional storage than a Miata because of that sloped back. Well, at least I have the 2.5L so whatever. But he's having more fun than me and that's not fair :(

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah there's a dude in my building with a lightly modded NC Miata, white with black wheels...and a baby seat in the passenger seat. gently caress yo practicality.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

So, a question. When I look online, it seems that most aftermarket cold air intakes for the '04 mazda 6 v6 throw some form of check engine light. Is this something any of you have experienced? While I'd love some sweet sweet induction noises, I don't want to deal with a constant cel.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks for the shock replacement advice guys. short of changing wiper blades it was pretty much the easiest work I'd ever done on a car. Didn't realize my 12mm deep socket had gone missing until I'd already had the wheel off and the lower bolt undone but that's life -- won't make that mistake again.

Was 100% convinced that the noise I was hearing couldn't possibly be my shock. Sounded like my muffler had come loose. Nevertheless, swapped it out and car is silent now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Okay here's a stupid loving question.

The exhaust on my MS6 is rotted, one muffler is gone, the y pipe and the other muffler are nearing death. I was about to pull the trigger on a full cat back from either NAP or Corksport when a friend of mine offered a possible other option. He had a 2006 Mazda 6i and had similar rust issues with his car. He bought a full exhaust off ebay and it noted that it would fit an MS6. He was t-boned before he could install the exhaust and it's been sitting in his garage for a year. He has offered it to me for $50 or two cases of his favorite beer.
Now, the MS6 has a rear diff that the 6i did not but he sent me the listing and it shows the MS6 as being compatible. Does anyone have any knowledge of exhaust on the cars that could sway me either way in this? I mean, $50 for a replacement exhaust is a killer deal, even if it is made of chinesium.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Okay here's a stupid loving question.

The exhaust on my MS6 is rotted, one muffler is gone, the y pipe and the other muffler are nearing death. I was about to pull the trigger on a full cat back from either NAP or Corksport when a friend of mine offered a possible other option. He had a 2006 Mazda 6i and had similar rust issues with his car. He bought a full exhaust off ebay and it noted that it would fit an MS6. He was t-boned before he could install the exhaust and it's been sitting in his garage for a year. He has offered it to me for $50 or two cases of his favorite beer.
Now, the MS6 has a rear diff that the 6i did not but he sent me the listing and it shows the MS6 as being compatible. Does anyone have any knowledge of exhaust on the cars that could sway me either way in this? I mean, $50 for a replacement exhaust is a killer deal, even if it is made of chinesium.

Looking at the service manual diagrams, it might work. One has a presilencer while the other doesn't, and the mid-pipe bend appears to be different, but I don't know if that's just due to poor drawings or not.

Here's the 6i (2.3 non-turbo):

And here's the MS6 (2.3 with turbo):

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I spent way too much time looking for clear shots of the underside of the cars to compare and it does look like it might work. I mean, I'm not super poor right no but $50 for a full exhaust is a deal right?

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah I'd say thats crazy cheap. Just the midpipe on a speed 6 is $450 at the dealer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sex Weirdo posted:

Yeah I'd say thats crazy cheap. Just the midpipe on a speed 6 is $450 at the dealer.

I mean, it's absolutely chinesium steel but still, if I got 3 years out of it I'd be happy. And the exhaust i put on the Civic was poo poo steel and it's still going strong.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Any recommendations for ramps to do oil changes? (2011 3 hatch) want to get enough clearance to get under (have to look up filter position, etc) but don't want to scrape the front end. Going to be for a 2010 Corolla too, my '76 Chevy probably not haha.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I mean, it's absolutely chinesium steel but still, if I got 3 years out of it I'd be happy. And the exhaust i put on the Civic was poo poo steel and it's still going strong.

Maybe throw a can of rattle black exhaust paint on it before throwing it in?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

Maybe throw a can of rattle black exhaust paint on it before throwing it in?

A great idea! I just need to find confirmation that it will fit. The person who owns it is more of a friend of a friend and he wants it out of his garage so he's not willing to let me pick it up, unbox it and test fit it and then hand it back if it doesn't fit.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
For $50, I'd say it is worth the risk.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I''d look under your 6 and see what the relation of that bend to the rear driveshaft is. The bend being up there may be so it can clear the rear driveshaft. Either way, pick it up for $50 and if it interferes, have someone cut the bend out and move it further forward.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dude lives about an hour away and I can't make it there this week anyways. I just figures the cars have been around for 10 years, somebody has to have tried by now. I told him I want it, it'd just be nice if I could jack the car up and bolt the fucker on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

Dude lives about an hour away and I can't make it there this week anyways. I just figures the cars have been around for 10 years, somebody has to have tried by now. I told him I want it, it'd just be nice if I could jack the car up and bolt the fucker on.

Probably, but sounds like you gotta post on a Mazda forum to find them :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I did, sounds like it will not fit. Oh well, I'm not out anything. I'll just go hit up an exhaust shop.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
OK, so I'm starting to look for a new car (for a family member, I drive a MS3 myself) and considering a CX-3 and maybe a CX-5. I'm vacillating a bit since CX-5 seems a bit big and CX-3 seems a bit small, but cute and composed and 400 pounds lighter with correspondingly higher fuel economy. Any opinions?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

The CX5 is based on the Mazda 3 platform and will feel similar in size. The CX3 is based on the subcompact Mazda 2 platform and is tiny. I'm sure I can fit more cargo in my Mazda 3 hatchback than in a CX3. Likewise with passengers; 5 people would almost certainly be less comfortable in the CX3 than a Mazda 3.

If hauling people or stuff around is a concern at all I'd go with the CX5.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jul 3, 2016

azazello
Dec 26, 2008
Thanks. Hauling requirements for this would be modest with 2 adults and 2 babies. I can see how 5 people would be a problem.

So I just went to a dealership and checked out the cars. It's as I expected: the CX-5 definitely feels bigger than a Mazda3 to me, almost bulky enough to be an SUV - in other words, unnecessarily big for our tastes. The CX-3 feels cozy and lithe, I like it a lot despite the limited space, but it sits a little low to the ground to be a proper crossover - almost as low as the Mazda3. Also, the CX-3 interior is very nice, the only drawback for me was that the driver seat is unpowered (unlike the CX-5). The vertical slab of the grill seems polarizing, too. I'm OK with it but the others might not be and I kinda wonder if it compromises aerodynamics.

I feel like if it was a couple inches higher off the ground and a couple grand cheaper I'd be all over it, as it stands we'll probably get it used sometime later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I drove a CX3 and loved it but I wasn't actually looking to buy.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

azazello posted:

Thanks. Hauling requirements for this would be modest with 2 adults and 2 babies. I can see how 5 people would be a problem.

So I just went to a dealership and checked out the cars. It's as I expected: the CX-5 definitely feels bigger than a Mazda3 to me, almost bulky enough to be an SUV - in other words, unnecessarily big for our tastes. The CX-3 feels cozy and lithe, I like it a lot despite the limited space, but it sits a little low to the ground to be a proper crossover - almost as low as the Mazda3. Also, the CX-3 interior is very nice, the only drawback for me was that the driver seat is unpowered (unlike the CX-5). The vertical slab of the grill seems polarizing, too. I'm OK with it but the others might not be and I kinda wonder if it compromises aerodynamics.

I feel like if it was a couple inches higher off the ground and a couple grand cheaper I'd be all over it, as it stands we'll probably get it used sometime later.

IIRC The Honda HRV is kind of midway between the CX3 and CX5, and it's not really all that different from a Mazda other than the badge on the hood.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh hey Elmnt we could be wagon bros

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Mazda6-S-Wagon-5-Door-/172259215655?forcerrptr=true&hash=item281b730927:g:3oUAAOSwOVpXaeo2&item=172259215655

If I can convince the lady to let me buy the winter car two months early.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Would you need to have two car seats in the back? Would two car seats fit in the back of a cx3?

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

mariooncrack posted:

Would you need to have two car seats in the back? Would two car seats fit in the back of a cx3?

Yes and it appears to be no problem, though per the youtube videos it would be tight. 2 car seats + stroller would probably completely fill the car though.

Banana_Boy
Jul 14, 2003

azazello posted:

Yes and it appears to be no problem, though per the youtube videos it would be tight. 2 car seats + stroller would probably completely fill the car though.

Either of them still rear facing? If so I'd really recommend the 5. We have one going on 4 years and a rear facing is tight enough as it is with an average height driver. We have our second due in a few months and couldn't imagine having the cx 3 instead.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Oh hey Elmnt we could be wagon bros

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Mazda6-S-Wagon-5-Door-/172259215655?forcerrptr=true&hash=item281b730927:g:3oUAAOSwOVpXaeo2&item=172259215655

If I can convince the lady to let me buy the winter car two months early.

I'm enjoying the poo poo out of mine, so I say do it. Just gimmie your amp, plz and thank you.

Edit: jesus, other than the paint, its a mirror image of mine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

I'm enjoying the poo poo out of mine, so I say do it. Just gimmie your amp, plz and thank you.

The only bummer is this one's an auto, a requirement from my girlfriend as she is really bad at driving standard and this vehicle would be for both of our use.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

The only bummer is this one's an auto, a requirement from my girlfriend as she is really bad at driving standard and this vehicle would be for both of our use.

The 5 speed is really dumb in mine, but tolerable. It probably also needs a fluid flush and if I gave enough of a poo poo, a new filter. Sadly the case has to come apart to swap filters, so a flush it is. :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Elmnt80 posted:

The 5 speed is really dumb in mine, but tolerable. It probably also needs a fluid flush and if I gave enough of a poo poo, a new filter. Sadly the case has to come apart to swap filters, so a flush it is. :v:

I'm closing in on the 60K maintenance for the MS6, I'm sure it needs all sorts of poo poo.

Sent her the link but I doubt she'll say yes. We're putting together a budget of poo poo we need to do for the second half of the year and I don't think there's $2K in it for a car yet.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Banana_Boy posted:

Either of them still rear facing? If so I'd really recommend the 5. We have one going on 4 years and a rear facing is tight enough as it is with an average height driver. We have our second due in a few months and couldn't imagine having the cx 3 instead.

Thanks, will have to take this into account and check out the cx-5 some more.