Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zephyrine posted:

Has anyone here read A Feast of Ice and Fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Feast-Ice-Fire-Official-Companion/dp/0345534492

I have a friend and she loves game of thrones and she loves cooking and baking but she's also a vegetarian and I'm worried that 90% of all recipes involve a haunch.

does she eat lamprey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

kcroy posted:

does she eat lamprey?

I doubt it.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

There's always the lemoncakes and the Sweet Summer Punch.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If she's amenable to having a child she can do run and milk too.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Zephyrine posted:

Has anyone here read A Feast of Ice and Fire?

https://www.amazon.com/Feast-Ice-Fire-Official-Companion/dp/0345534492

I have a friend and she loves game of thrones and she loves cooking and baking but she's also a vegetarian and I'm worried that 90% of all recipes involve a haunch.

Check out the blog that made the book called Inn At The Crossroads. It even has a vegetarian section

It also showcases similar medieval recipes so it's really interesting from an anthropological perspective

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
The ingredients are mostly stuff you can easily find at the grocery store, or specify substitutes. It's mostly just reconstructed medieval cooking, based on what book descriptions they could salvage.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I've always wanted a really well researched cookbook about ancient feasts.

Like there's some descriptions in greek history of poo poo like quails filled with grape leaves baked in clay and I'm like "okay, gimme dat recipe"

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Did you try Apicius? It's a lot of guesswork on everything quantitative but most recipes are doable or sort-of doable (and bad).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If you're into seeing what people eat in ye Olde times and can put up with terrible English table manners then might I suggest The Supersizers.

https://youtu.be/L0IoRp5v5zs

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
There's also that one YouTube channel where that renfaire guy runs around in a tricorner cap cooking like a colonial American except for the whole dying of malnutrition/dysentery part.

E: https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 3, 2016

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I can vouch for this recipe being both: a) mind-bogglingly easy b) a crowd pleaser. http://www.medievalcookery.com/recipes/salmonpie.html

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Man I'd love to hear preston talk about the house of the undying. Has he ever done that?
For someone who is sure magic and prophecy is fake as poo poo, I'd love to hear him discuss how dany trips out on blue absinthe and gets all the goddamn prophecy in the show in five paragraphs.

drowned in pussy juice
Oct 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Iirc 'marwyn did it with a glass candle' is his explanation for it but I may be getting the house of the undying confused with the fifty other things he's explained that same way

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I'm sad we'll never loving go to ashaii by the shadow in the show. So we probably didn't learn anything good there in the theoretical book that exists as long as a meatlover pizza doesn't kill the fat gently caress.

I"m pretty sure a lot of that imagery was future tense so either good job guessing what's coming, marwyn, or prophecy is real.

ALso I got the impression that marwyn just loving got his glass candle working. Really hard to believe he has been loving with dany for years. And the goddamn rear end in a top hat is out the door immediately.
When the fat gently caress dies I am really going to mourn not knowing what the gently caress is up with oldtown, bookwise.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
I'm okay without seeing Asshai because at this point reality probably can't match hype.

Gurm probably introduced it to give Quaithe an air of mystery and mysticism and thus authenticity to her advice, versus "hey in some random Qarthian you should do exactly as I say"

I kinda feel like Marwyn is someone who saw some poo poo at a young age (like Varys did) and now he's traveling the world studying the occult. Which was probably pretty fruitless until Dany revived dragons. His motivation is IMO he just wants to learn more about magic and understand it. He is a maester after all. I don't think Oldtown has some illuminati poo poo going on. If they do gurm is a loving idiot this plot is bloated enough as is.

As an aside, Euron probably saw some poo poo in Valyria or Asshai and that's why he's obsessed with magic and torturing Blue Meanies

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
The reason winds isn't out is because Marwyn has been driving gurm to eat and get shitdick with his glass candle

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
well marwyn and lady dustin both say that the maesters have some illuminati poo poo going on so its probably trueish

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Knowing more than they let on is a different thing entirely from manipulating the course of history and loving with people using a palantir

Based on what we've seen they most likely know about the children and others, and they might know certain Valyrian magics. They could even know the secrets of Valyrian steel but knowing what we know about Valyria it probably involves blood magic. And that's why they sit on it or at worst suppress the knowledge because magic is gross and weird and they want a more civilized world.

What if Lightbringer is just a regular Valyrian steel blade? The red guys dump fire on regular swords, and the azor ahai story involves blood sacrifice. Fire and blood. It's a Valyrian sword and that's all.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Gurm will rewrite the book so Dany circumnavigate the world on drogon and attack westeros from the west just to spite HBO

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
The book is out!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

The book is out!

Dont do this

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

The book is out!

Joke doesn't work as well now that the series is so popular

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Proper manners dictates you save that for Wild Cards releases.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Quaith is the one who is using a black candle to control Dany, not Marwyn.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

GRRM is going to Worldcon.

Book is finished or book is never finished?

Book is never finished. He's started working on a new Wild Cards, though!

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

The book is out!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's coming in August

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It is probably being edited thoroughly. Then GRRM will reject all the suggested edits/changes.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

Gurm will rewrite the book so Dany circumnavigate the world on drogon and attack westeros from the west just to spite HBO

HBO in response: "Uh ok so... surprise!!! Dany attacks from the west!"
GRRM and book nerds: "But... that makes no sense!"
HBO: :smug:

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Intel&Sebastian posted:

He is going to be signing people and books at Midwestcon and I thought it was appropriate.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
Seriously, though, people totally get his autograph on their skin and then go get a tattoo over it people are weird. At least he wouldn't sign the baby.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Seriously, though, people totally get his autograph on their skin and then go get a tattoo over it people are weird. At least he wouldn't sign the baby.

ay dios mio

that's nasty

i mean i'm glad for the baby but holky gently caress

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

People should get him to sign a printout of that blogpost he did promising to stop going to cons until he'd written the loving book

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I've always wanted a really well researched cookbook about ancient feasts.

From what I've gathered medieval recipes is basically variations over "take one animal, stuff it in another animal, cook for some time".

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
I read that autobiography thingy that GRRM wrote which made me soften a lot to him. He is such a nerd.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

There are people who probably show up with their babies in heavy makeup showing their heads bashed in.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I've been watching preston jacob nitpick every season of the show and got confused. The show had dagmer cleftjaw suggest theon kill the miller boys and burn them? Bran hops on hodor and just books it? They don't hide in the crypts? The hell? I don't remember that.

Did they come back and find the maester luwen under the tree? How does ramsay even introduce himself into the story at this point? I don't want to go back and watch it can someone untangle this winterfell knot for me?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They hid in the crypts. Ramsey was introduced as a mysterious crazy person that was torturing Theon.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Krinkle posted:

I've been watching preston jacob nitpick every season of the show and got confused. The show had dagmer cleftjaw suggest theon kill the miller boys and burn them? Bran hops on hodor and just books it? They don't hide in the crypts? The hell? I don't remember that.

Did they come back and find the maester luwen under the tree? How does ramsay even introduce himself into the story at this point? I don't want to go back and watch it can someone untangle this winterfell knot for me?

Bran and Co. hide in the crypts. Luwin sees Osha stealing food to take down to them and he goes down to see how they are. Luwin still dies under the tree during the sack like in the books. Meera and Jojen aren't there though - not til season 3. Same with Ramsay. Ramsay introduces himself as an ironborn and fucks with Theon's head while escaping to learn the fates of Bran and Rickon, etc. then leads Theon right back to the dreadfort.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

luwen was with the posse that hid in the crypts and he went with osha and rickon i think? who fuckin knows about dagmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

whats the ethnicity of the iron men btw? are they first men? andals? why doesnt the crown claim to be their king if they are distinct?