Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

drat, he skipped the entire desert palace

My favorite sort of glitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know this is a big ol can o worms I prob shouldn't open up here but did anyone submit any Undertale Genocide runs? I watched some last year that were pretty entertaining especially cause the whole run is one giant buildup to one nearly impossible final boss fight. would be cool to see someone do it live at an event.s

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Harlock posted:

How do the sages of lourle know link from their other world counterparts

Well the other one is Cel-da shaded. :v:

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
couch

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
well we're skipping ice palace next so hold onto your asses

(ice palace skip is the best skip in the game)

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I can't help but sing along "the theme from the Dark World" every time that theme comes up.

beep by grandpa posted:

I know this is a big ol can o worms I prob shouldn't open up here but did anyone submit any Undertale Genocide runs? I watched some last year that were pretty entertaining especially cause the whole run is one giant buildup to one nearly impossible final boss fight. would be cool to see someone do it live at an event.s
Toby has been fairly clear that he really doesn't want Undertale run at a GDQ.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

beep by grandpa posted:

I already checked because I'm a total fanboy. No one submitted any UT runs.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yay SGDQ! :getin:

I forgot how great ALBW was. I ended up 100%ing the game and even got all the StreetPass achievements.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

beep by grandpa posted:

Sounds awful

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Toby Fox specifically requested it not be run at AGDQ earlier this year as to not spoil people who had yet to play it. I imagine they're still honoring that request since the game hasn't even been out a year, and honestly I think it'd be a super dull game to speedrun unless they've found some fun glitches. I mean Genocide is 90% grinding random encounters and there's only two boss fights that are of any interest.

It'd probably bring in big donations, so maybe SGDQ 2017 will be enough time?

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Tilt the couch backward in honor of ALBW's lean.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

What just happened

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If a glitch involves going out of bounds, it's my favorite glitch.

Incoherence posted:

I agree with :shittydog: on this.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
killing the boss before it spawns, speedgaming at its finest :fap:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

These skips are crazy.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Gamma Nerd posted:

kipping the boss before it spawns, speedgaming at its finest :fap:

Killing the hypothetical representation of the boss, technically. He could appear normally!

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Your Computer posted:

If a glitch involves going out of bounds, it's my favorite glitch.

I agree with :shittydog: on this.

I also agree with selfish man not wanting his super popular game to bring in lots of money for a good charity.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't want to see Undertale at any event like this. Not because I hate the game or anything, but it's not good for speedrunning just because of what the game is. I'm glad nobody submitted for it.

Looking forward to catching up on the Awful Games block tomorrow. Middle of the night on Day 1, drat, that's rough.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Incoherence posted:

I can't help but sing along "the theme from the Dark World" every time that theme comes up.

Yeah, besides this Undertale is just not a good speed running game. Most of the bosses are basically timed so you can't speed them up too much, even if in Genocide almost all of them die in one hit.

It's pretty much a visual novel with some boss shmups spread around.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

Killing the hypothetical representation of the boss, technically. He could appear normally!

destroying the boss's soul, then

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

personally I enjoyed the genocide speedrun I watched and the posts i've read here questioning the entertainment value of the run make sense to me , but toby himself vetoing it is kinda dumb. what a weird guy.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
See you later fucker

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

That better be called the Fist Bump or Bro Fist skip.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

the commentators saying the boss was difficult turned out to be facetious

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

personally I enjoyed the genocide speedrun I watched and the posts i've read here questioning the entertainment value of the run make sense to me , but toby himself vetoing it is kinda dumb. what a weird guy.

He didn't "veto" anything though, he politely requested that they don't. He's not the boss of *GDQ or anything :confused:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I know, I was just being dramatic

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

the commentators saying the boss was difficult turned out to be facetious

:vince:

beep by grandpa posted:

I know, I was just being dramatic

:same:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
-snip-

nevermind. we good,.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Your Computer posted:

He didn't "veto" anything though, he politely requested that they don't. He's not the boss of *GDQ or anything :confused:

Which doesn't make it any less dumb.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Compromise and speed run Undertale: Hard Mode

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hahah the first half of this run was pretty boring but the entire dark world has been like, glitchier than ocarina of time levels of glitch

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rorus Raz posted:

Compromise and speed run Undertale: Hard Mode
Speedrun the demo.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ometeotl posted:

I also agree with selfish man not wanting his super popular game to bring in lots of money for a good charity.

The amount of money raised by these events is a drop in the bucket anyways. Don't get melodramatic just because one game that would make for a lovely run isn't being run because it would raise a little extra cash.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Not a real ALBW run because he hasn't had some nosey rear end bird telling him he should take a break.............

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

Not a real ALBW run because he hasn't had some nosey rear end bird telling him he should take a break.............

Pretty sure it did once earlier.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Ometeotl posted:

Ometeotl posted:

Which doesn't make it any less dumb.

People get on the case of games that aren't suited for runs all the time at GDQs, but when a creator suggests that they don't make for a good one it's a bad thing?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

The amount of money raised by these events is a drop in the bucket anyways. Don't get melodramatic just because one game that would make for a lovely run isn't being run because it would raise a little extra cash.

This made me look up what MSF brings in. And you're not wrong wrt overall revenue, but SGDQ seems to make up about 1/3 of MSFs fundraising revenue.

Which is pretty freaking sweet.

from here: http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=3628

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

And then there's THAT bird.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mighty Dicktron posted:

People get on the case of games that aren't suited for runs all the time at GDQs, but when a creator suggests that they don't make for a good one it's a bad thing?

ehh but it's up to the viewier if they choose want to get spoiled on something or not. the creator banging on about how much more precious their little game story is over every other game in a marathon makes you sound like a whiny egomaniac (btw i'm only addressing the story element of this argument not the cashmoney charity part). I say this having enjoyed undertale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
why the gently caress is link killing zaku

• Locked thread