Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 970 hasn't sold at its official MSRP for several years now. In the real world they're going for about $200, so it's a direct competitor price-wise, performance wise, and power wise - and it also won't burn out your motherboard.

The 1060's pricing is actually fine since it's going up against 480s that are only $50 cheaper and it's a fair bit faster and significantly lower-power. I wouldn't buy a $200 card to begin with since you're getting ripped off versus something like a 1070/490 (that's always been the problem with that price point) but the 1060 is fine for what it is.

That price point didn't suck in the past, the x60 cards used to be great. Now they're gutted and overpriced, and the x70 and x80 are on a steady march to the stratosphere. If they were actually a $200 card like they had been they'd be the price/performance sweet spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Everywhere I've looked, new 970's are still going for around €300. Though I guess it's not too hard to find a cheap second-hand one these days.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

xthetenth posted:

That price point didn't suck in the past, the x60 cards used to be great. Now they're gutted and overpriced, and the x70 and x80 are on a steady march to the stratosphere. If they were actually a $200 card like they had been they'd be the price/performance sweet spot.

The 760 GTX was a drat fine card and before I replaced it could still chug out TW3 on an acceptable framerate with High settings.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Phlegmish posted:

Is it really weaker? I thought they were about on par.

It trades blows but generally loses a tiny bit to reference 970 clocks. Reference 970 clocks are pretty bad and an outright misrepresentation of the 970 market though... although that MSI blower one is close enough I guess. I haven't even heard of someone owning a reference 970, although there have to be some out there, afaik the only common ones were sold at best buy and they cost more than better ones. Nvidia made no sort of push to sell them (unlike the FE)

With the newer cards it seems we can finally put that confusion behind us. Reference clocks in reviews have kind of plagued and muddled everything up for years. The new reference cards seem to actually perform on par with aftermarkets pretty much

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

It trades blows but generally loses a tiny bit to reference 970 clocks. Reference 970 clocks are pretty bad and an outright misrepresentation of the 970 market though... although that MSI blower one is close enough I guess. I haven't even heard of someone owning a reference 970, although there have to be some out there, afaik the only common ones were sold at best buy and they cost more than better ones. Nvidia made no sort of push to sell them (unlike the FE)

With the newer cards it seems we can finally put that confusion behind us. Reference clocks in reviews have kind of plagued and muddled everything up for years. The new reference cards seem to actually perform on par with aftermarkets pretty much

I own an Nvidia branded reference 970. :shobon:

Managed to get BestBuy to price match it on a Cyberpower PC bundle that Newegg had listed even though you could not actually buy the card individually.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

The x70 has always been the sweet spot of price to performance. And generally, the largest crop chip you can get is the best. Retailers are ripping off like crazy but you can just get in line for an EVGA step-up or something at the card's proper price.

Sorry but the 1070 is still priced well for what it offers. At $400 for a 1070 versus $250 for a RX 480 you are getting a linear increase in performance plus much better VR capability. Once you get into aftermarket cards instead of blower cards the performance difference is even more stark, since a $30 upsell for a nice cooler and binning disappears into a $400 card much better than a $250 one.

The RX 480 does not increase price-to-performance. It's literally just buying an AMD branded 970. There is no reason to do it, and it's likely to get even worse when they downclock it this week to keep it from burning out people's motherboards. The aftermarket cards that have proper power sourcing are just terrible price/performance.

Prices for other countries are different, but for the US the 480 is an outright bad choice. Get a 970, a 290X, or a 390 instead.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 3, 2016

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Paul MaudDib posted:

The aftermarket cards that have proper power sourcing are just terrible price/performance.

Are there any performance figures released for aftermarket 480s yet? I thought the Nitro was the only one even available for preorder and it has no benchmarks yet.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Lungboy posted:

Are there any performance figures released for aftermarket 480s yet? I thought the Nitro was the only one even available for preorder and it has no benchmarks yet.

The base 480 is already dubious price/perf vs a 970, 290X, or 390. Any price increase only worsens an already poor situation, and I can't see aftermarket cards being cheaper than the reference.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Paul MaudDib posted:

The base 480 is already dubious price/perf vs a 970, 290X, or 390. Any price increase only worsens an already poor situation, and I can't see aftermarket cards being cheaper than the reference.

Plus there is not really any additional headroom to be had on the 480.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

Paul MaudDib posted:

TSorry but the 1070 is still priced well for what it offers. At $400 for a 1070 versus $250 for a RX 480...
Prices for other countries are different, but for the US the 480 is an outright bad choice.

Yeah, I think actual pricing is rather important here. In Europe, the 1070 is ~470 EUR, the RX 480 is ~270 EUR.

Actually I'd say the RX 480 is 230 EUR, if we're comparing against the 3.5G 970. 4GB versus 8GB is a bit of a bet depending on what you think game developers do the next few years.

What's clear is that the excess stock of 970 and 390 is driving the price down very hard.

quote:

The RX 480 does not increase price-to-performance.

Right now, no. But it's in the situation where it has just launched and is suffering from demand inflated pricing, versus old stocks being cleared.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Lungboy posted:

The only thing aftermarket cards will get you is a more expensive card that won't burn out your motherboard :v:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

With the newer cards it seems we can finally put that confusion behind us. Reference clocks in reviews have kind of plagued and muddled everything up for years. The new reference cards seem to actually perform on par with aftermarkets pretty much.

Hmm, I went back and the GTX 670 I had was about 8% faster than the reference (15% faster clock). The GTX 1070 I have is about 5% faster than reference (% clock unclear due to boost).

I think the overclocking ability of the GTX 970 was probably exceptional.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Revol posted:

Geforce 970
GTAV with PCSS - 24 FPS avg
Bioshock Infinite - 109 FPS avg
Rise of the Tomb Raider with max hair - 13 FPS avg

Geforce 1080
GTAV with PCSS - 48 FPS avg
Bioshock Infinite - 198 FPS avg
Rise of the Tomb Raider with max hair - 39 FPS avg

I'm surprised, this is double performance. Did not expect that. I was especially impressed with Tomb Raider. At the very beginning of the benchmark, all you see is Lara, with her beautifully realistic NVIDIA hair. On the 970, I was barely getting 20 frames. On the 1080, I was getting exactly 60. Then things settled down once the camera panned around and got the mountain in view.

I've been playing on 4k using a 1080 AIB with a lazy OC and my old 970 left in as a dedicated physx card and with everything maxed except AA turned off, I got ~55 fps avg on the tomb raider 2 benchmark.

Honestly if you aren't terribly sensitive to dips under 60fps 4k on a 1080 is very doable.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

The x70 has always been the sweet spot of price to performance. And generally, the largest crop chip you can get is the best. Retailers are ripping off like crazy but you can just get in line for an EVGA step-up or something at the card's proper price.

Sorry but the 1070 is still priced well for what it offers. At $400 for a 1070 versus $250 for a RX 480 you are getting a linear increase in performance plus much better VR capability. Once you get into aftermarket cards instead of blower cards the performance difference is even more stark, since a $30 upsell for a nice cooler and binning disappears into a $400 card much better than a $250 one.

The RX 480 does not increase price-to-performance. It's literally just buying an AMD branded 970. There is no reason to do it, and it's likely to get even worse when they downclock it this week to keep it from burning out people's motherboards. The aftermarket cards that have proper power sourcing are just terrible price/performance.

Prices for other countries are different, but for the US the 480 is an outright bad choice. Get a 970, a 290X, or a 390 instead.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_760/29.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Twin_Frozr_III/29.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti/29.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_1_GB/33.html

The 960 was an anomaly, and it looks to be the start of a new pattern. The 1070 is priced reasonably within the context of this generation because the rest of the generation is the successor to the 980, in that it's a card that's good but it's priced crazy high because it's the top card even though it was always dubious and a chip that's basically parametric yield failures frankensteined into life with excessive voltage. It's a good card within the context of a failure of a generation. Hopefully this generation is just the broadwell equivalent and the skylake equivalent is good.

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you use this standard, then the 4870 wasn't good price/perf because the 260 core 216 got introduced and was priced competitive with it, and at that point the discussion is basically meaningless. Then the only cards that aren't good price/performance are ones like the 980 that get left inexplicably expensive after their price point is obsoleted.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

xthetenth posted:

Then the only cards that aren't good price/performance are ones like the 980 that get left inexplicably expensive after their price point is obsoleted.

Yes, the argument in the end boils down to "new cards are useless, they always lose to 2nd hand ones in price/perf".

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!
I could see the AIB 480 4GB being a decent value if it is around $220 to $230 but I agree that the 8GB model may not be that great if it ends up priced around $260-$300.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

DonkeyHotay posted:

I've been playing on 4k using a 1080 AIB with a lazy OC and my old 970 left in as a dedicated physx card and with everything maxed except AA turned off, I got ~55 fps avg on the tomb raider 2 benchmark.
Hmmmm.

I have a GT720 laying around here from a past virtualization experiment. Would it be powerful enough to run PhysX stuff?

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hmmmm.

I have a GT720 laying around here from a past virtualization experiment. Would it be powerful enough to run PhysX stuff?

I think weak cards like that can actually hinder game performance.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
gently caress it, I should just keep waiting until there's some MIR deal or whatever on an aftermarket 480.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Just wait for the game promos, AMD bundles star citizen in with their cards now

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Truga posted:

Wow, that's like $100,000 value! (or 0, depending how much you value being able to play a finished game)

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Truga posted:

You know this is going to lead to a joke about which is more half assed, Star Citizen or the RX 480's power delivery.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Beautiful Ninja posted:

You know this is going to lead to a joke about which is more half assed, Star Citizen or the RX 480's power delivery.

It's the natural evolution of force feedback.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Truga posted:

They should bundle a lifetime insurance add-on code for any ship. It'd be the best worst thing.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Truga posted:

How long does Nvidia take to start bundling games with the cards?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tagichatn posted:

How long does Nvidia take to start bundling games with the cards?

Whenever the retailers get a chance to clear out the old stock they'll bundle stuff with the new stock.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The new geforce experience update is pretty neat. It's a nice looking vendor agnostic game launcher now. It shows all my games from steam, origin and battle.net in one place. Shame the new shadowplay settings menu is confusing as gently caress

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

BurritoJustice posted:

The new geforce experience update is pretty neat. It's a nice looking vendor agnostic game launcher now. It shows all my games from steam, origin and battle.net in one place. Shame the new shadowplay settings menu is confusing as gently caress

Looks the same to me..

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Fallows posted:

Looks the same to me..

It's in optional beta.
It's quite bad imo, but that's not much different from before.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Jet.com still has that TRIPLE15 coupon thing going, and while they are sold out of the RX 480, they do have the Strix GTX 1070's:

https://jet.com/product/ASUS-ROG-GeForce-GTX-1070-STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING-8GB-256-Bit-GDDR5-PCI-Express/4a4ad428f9fb4b8baab227008ab2a11d

The cheapest they are anywhere else is $475 shipped on NewEgg, but with that Jet coupon and waiving a free return, it's $435.44 in my cart. Sure it's an AIB and over MSRP but it's one of the cheapest available with a great cooler that I can see, an one of the few AIB in stock anywhere.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
The STRIX 1070 is a reference board with factory OC, correct? If so, I'll probably wait for the Gaming X to come in stock. It looks like a better board with a slightly lower factory OC.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

wicka posted:

welcome to the "i spent $400 on a video card and will use it as an excuse to spend $1000 on a monitor" club

The inverse is a thing too. Soon I'm going to be in the "I spent $2000 on a 4k TV that can do 1080p@120Hz and will use it as an excuse to spend $400+ on a video card" club.

Plus, I'm upgrading from a 2GB 960 (apparently, the worst video card of all time) so go me!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dpbjinc posted:

The STRIX 1070 is a reference board with factory OC, correct? If so, I'll probably wait for the Gaming X to come in stock. It looks like a better board with a slightly lower factory OC.

Strix has a custom PCB. The extra fan headers give it away :v:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

xthetenth posted:

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_760/29.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_660_Twin_Frozr_III/29.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_560_Ti/29.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_460_1_GB/33.html

The 960 was an anomaly, and it looks to be the start of a new pattern. The 1070 is priced reasonably within the context of this generation because the rest of the generation is the successor to the 980, in that it's a card that's good but it's priced crazy high because it's the top card even though it was always dubious and a chip that's basically parametric yield failures frankensteined into life with excessive voltage. It's a good card within the context of a failure of a generation. Hopefully this generation is just the broadwell equivalent and the skylake equivalent is good.

If you use this standard, then the 4870 wasn't good price/perf because the 260 core 216 got introduced and was priced competitive with it, and at that point the discussion is basically meaningless. Then the only cards that aren't good price/performance are ones like the 980 that get left inexplicably expensive after their price point is obsoleted.

960 was really bad in anything but power consumption. I had a 7950B for $200 3 years ago on it's still on par with it today with 50% more VRAM.

Once the PCIE power issue gets fixed, I wouldn't even think about the 970 (and it's 3.5GB VRAM that is already choking in mere 1080p in edge cases) when its priced the same as a RX 480 4GB, for the simple but not so well known fact that AMD GPUs age better than Nvidia. According to TPU own benchmarks, the GTX 770 used be 7% faster than the 280X in Sep 2014, but instead now the 280X is 18% ahead. That's pretty massive 26% boost for free, if applied to the RX480 it becomes a 980 Ti competitor by 2018.

From the looks of it AMD is going to be the automatic winner this gen in the <=$200 segment if the RX470 is 90% of a RX480 at $150. That's going to almost twice the perf/$ if the 1060 6GB is a 980 @ $300 and the latter is going to be overkill for most people for plain old 1080p.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jul 4, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Palladium posted:

From the looks of it AMD is going to be the automatic winner this gen in the <=$200 segment if the RX470 is 90% of a RX480 at $150. That's going to almost twice the perf/$ if the 1060 6GB is a 980 @ $300 and the latter is going to be overkill for most people for plain old 1080p.

From some googling it looks like it supposed to have 2,048 shaders versus the 2,304 in the 480, with 7GHz RAM instead of 8. I imagine it'll be pushing against the same 150W TDP as the 480 though. Should be a nice card for $150 if they don't skip on the cooling.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Palladium posted:

960 was really bad in anything but power consumption. I had a 7950B for $200 3 years ago on it's still on par with it today with 50% more VRAM.

Once the PCIE power issue gets fixed, I wouldn't even think about the 970 (and it's 3.5GB VRAM that is already choking in mere 1080p in edge cases) when its priced the same as a RX 480 4GB, for the simple but not so well known fact that AMD GPUs age better than Nvidia. According to TPU own benchmarks, the GTX 770 used be 7% faster than the 280X in Sep 2014, but instead now the 280X is 18% ahead. That's pretty massive 26% boost for free, if applied to the RX480 it becomes a 980 Ti competitor by 2018.

lol the 480 is not going to be a 980ti and there is absolutely zero guarantee any card is going to "age better" over any other between generations (this is no little known thing, it is the most applauded feature of AMD in the last year+) But, despite all that, I am super curious why the 280x would perform that much better in 2 years, do you have a link? That's a pretty significant jump.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

lol the 480 is not going to be a 980ti and there is absolutely zero guarantee any card is going to "age better" over any other between generations (this is no little known thing, it is the most applauded feature of AMD in the last year+) But, despite all that, I am super curious why the 280x would perform that much better in 2 years, do you have a link? That's a pretty significant jump.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Sapphire/R9_285_Dual-X_OC/25.html Sep 2014.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/24.html Jun 29 this year.

Specifically 1080p overall, knock yourself out.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

This is maddeningly vague... trying to decide if its worth "looking into" or just getting drunk instead.

nah, ill just take your word for it lol

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

This is maddeningly vague... trying to decide if its worth "looking into" or just getting drunk instead.

nah, ill just take your word for it lol

Best guess is that it's a combination of ongoing driver support from AMD but not as good from NV and console games targeting things that AMD does well because they're targeting AMD hardware(Hawaii got some games pretty recently that it looks real good in, such as The Division), and it might get better now they've literally built the new hotness in APIs around their architecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Look at the R9-290, a GTX 780 competitor that falls somewhere between a 970 and 980 today. It doesn't make any goddamn sense to me either, but the 7970 and R9-290 definitely perform way better on the same benchmarks now vs around their release time.