Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Hex's card design has gotten worse every set, I swear, and while it apes the mechanics it doesn't have the depth or complexity that the established magic formats have, and it doesn't draft as well and isn't as balanced as standard usually is, either.

It's not terrible but I'm a $500 backer and I don't even log in to burn my free drafts every week because it's just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
All the magic clones mostly make me wish I was playing magic instead.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

netcat posted:

All the magic clones mostly make me wish I was playing magic instead.
Not emptyquoting.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've enjoyed Eternal, the thing being developed by LSV and others, but for some reason it's still in closed beta so I don't think I can really say more.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So it appears someone already qualified for the RPTQ not only played in a free PPTQ today but got the chance to concede his friend to the top 8 in the final round.

What are his chances to get a small dci vacation?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

So it appears someone already qualified for the RPTQ not only played in a free PPTQ today but got the chance to concede his friend to the top 8 in the final round.

0 because that isn't against any rules

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Skyl3lazer posted:

0 because that isn't against any rules

Yes it is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Report him and hopefully he gets suspended. That is total bullshit.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You're not allowed to play in a PTQ if you already have an invite? :eyepop:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

Nope.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chill la Chill posted:

He's loving someone over for a RPTQ spot that a lot of people want.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So you are supposed to go to different regions and do their PTQs as well if you want to have a set of the PTQ promo? :wtc: or is that not allowed either?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

mcmagic posted:

He's loving someone over for a RPTQ spot that a lot of people want.

Is it to Hawaii? If so gently caress him. If not :lol:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Woah, Engulf the Shores was originally a 3 mana spell.

http://wizardsdeveloper.tumblr.com/post/146820708950/do-you-ever-lower-the-power-level-on-a-card-so

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've heard of people that were on the Pro Tour already from having enough pro points playing in PTQs just so they could get the flight to the event paid for if they won it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Is it to Hawaii? If so gently caress him. If not :lol:

Yup.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I still want them to spoil a card that's literally a Cthulhu emerging from the seas.

Emrakul came out of a portal in a pond doesn't count.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Sigma-X posted:

Hex's card design has gotten worse every set, I swear, and while it apes the mechanics it doesn't have the depth or complexity that the established magic formats have, and it doesn't draft as well and isn't as balanced as standard usually is, either.

It's not terrible but I'm a $500 backer and I don't even log in to burn my free drafts every week because it's just not worth it.

Yeah I was a backer at the same tier. I flipped my account sometime after set 2 released for like triple the investment because it was apparent the game was going nowhere good.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Count Bleck posted:

I still want them to spoil a card that's literally a Cthulhu emerging from the seas.

Is the flash Eldrazi octopus not what you're looking for?

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

So Marit Lage/Dark Depths isn't enough?

neosloth
Sep 5, 2013

Professional Procrastinator

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This'll probably be playable in standard and the effect is a straight up upgrade on Voidslime (shame about it costing 1 more though) but I really wish there was something extra stapled to it for the cost

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

This is such a cool card that nobody will ever cast.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Been a while since the last ability counterspell, no? I'm probably forgetting something.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

I'll find room for this in my EDH deck and it will be just as surprising as Time Stop.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This stuffs Zulaport Cutthroat triggers, doesn't it?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It also hoses all the on-cast triggers from Eldrazi, which I'm assuming is the primary target for the design.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

Whoever greenlighted spiders should be fired.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

It also counters Emrakul cast off tron lands or posts and incidentally counters a whole storm stack so maybe it's non standard playable? Seems doubtful at 2UU but it's a unique effect. Hoses a number of strategies.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It also counters Emrakul cast off tron lands or posts and incidentally counters a whole storm stack so maybe it's non standard playable? Seems doubtful at 2UU but it's a unique effect. Hoses a number of strategies.

So does Mindbreak Trap, but that's not being played either.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

This stuffs Zulaport Cutthroat triggers, doesn't it?

If you somehow have mana to cast both this and a sweeper in the same turn, sure it can save you some life there.

It doesn't do very much against brood monitor combo or whatever though.

E: Mindbreak Trap doesn't stop them taking an extra turn, this does. Not paying mana for it is more relevant against storm though.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Jabor posted:

If you somehow have mana to cast both this and a sweeper in the same turn, sure it can save you some life there.

I'm more referring to saccing everything to Westvale Abbey.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

I'm more referring to saccing everything to Westvale Abbey.

Yes, it actually does a pretty good job of messing up that plan.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

Been a while since the last ability counterspell, no? I'm probably forgetting something.

If we're only counting Standard sets, I think Not of this World in ROE is the only other one we've had since Time Spiral, and it only counters a particular subset of abilities.

Star Man posted:

So does Mindbreak Trap, but that's not being played either.

Only works on spells. On-cast triggers aren't spells.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It also stifles Planeswalker abilities.

Jabor posted:

It does if they don't have 3 more mana available. At least for that turn.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 4, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I wish it was 1 mana less to help boost blue but I'll take it

shame that it won't be played for at least 3 months and probably longer

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

sarmhan posted:

Whoever greenlighted spiders should be fired.

A-loving-men.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
4 Mana is a lot to hold up in standard, specially with how bad the end-step card filtering is for blue these days, but you can get some never-before-possible blowouts with this card.

Among many other things, it provides a clean answer to Eldrazi and their on-cast triggers. This thing can fully answer something like Ulamong.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

The hell is going on in the card art?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Schwarzwald posted:

The hell is going on in the card art?

He's hosing down all your opponent's garbage.

• Locked thread