Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I can't wait until I can turn myself into a GMO and then get a tattoo on me that labels me as such.

For the record I think labeling is good for all products. Consumers deserve to know how what they are buying is produced. "Produced by a 5 year old at 15 cents a day in some other country you haven't heard of" would be a great label for me shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do anti-GMO people have an even remote leg to stand on? Is there any evidence against using GMOs? Does there "anti-tobacco" arguments hold any water?

The corporate practices of a lot of the GMO companies are lovely as heck; it's possible to be pro-GMO while still hating Monsanto.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
yeah i feel as tho GMOs in and of themselves are totally fine, it's how corporate interests might utilize them [or how they're currently utilizing them, if that's the case] that could be Bad, and where all of the trouble really lies

imv

atm tho i really couldn't care less about the gmo crap

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
Humanity - Turning good ideas into greedy poo poo every waking moment.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Meanwhile 90% of the GMO labeled food sits unsold. Farmers then revert to non-GMO because that is what the masses are buying. Farm water use spikes. Additional pesticide and fertilizer usage increases contamination of runoff water. Yield per land area goes down, so more forest is turned into farm land, and more fuel is required to operate farm equipment on the larger land. Probably accelerating global warming and adding to air pollution. But hey, at least you didn't eat that Frankenstein quinoa or some poo poo.

Consider that people have known that smoking is bad for them for 30+ years and there;s still ton of people smoking even if its on a decline.
Same with a bunch of other products. Most people don't give a poo poo what they shove down their gullet. But those that do, should have a right to know what they ingest. I honestly don't give a poo poo about corporate profit so it doesn't bother me one bit if they end up making less money because of it.

Honestly, its such a non issue and I find it ridiculous that so many people defend the industry like their lives depended on it.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do anti-GMO people have an even remote leg to stand on? Is there any evidence against using GMOs? Does there "anti-tobacco" arguments hold any water?

As far as I am aware? No. There is little to no evidence that GMO's are unsafe. The only evidence is anecdotal and is pretty much the same as "vaccines are unsafe because this person i know got sick from it". Its completely ridiculous and I personally don't give a poo poo what kills me in the end. However I support the right of people to know what they're eating. The cost to corporations may be 10's of millions per year if not more, but I don't give a poo poo since they make billions and control the world's supply already.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Dalael posted:

Consider that people have known that smoking is bad for them for 30+ years and there;s still ton of people smoking even if its on a decline.
Same with a bunch of other products. Most people don't give a poo poo what they shove down their gullet. But those that do, should have a right to know what they ingest. I honestly don't give a poo poo about corporate profit so it doesn't bother me one bit if they end up making less money because of it.

Honestly, its such a non issue and I find it ridiculous that so many people defend the industry like their lives depended on it.

I think the instructive example here is that we required labels for food that had been sterilized with radiation (which was safe, cheap, and effective) and then the public refused to buy the food that had the scary R word.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Classic Comrade posted:

yeah i feel as tho GMOs in and of themselves are totally fine, it's how corporate interests might utilize them [or how they're currently utilizing them, if that's the case] that could be Bad, and where all of the trouble really lies

imv

atm tho i really couldn't care less about the gmo crap

How could using GMOs be bad?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

punk rebel ecks posted:

you ever play Plants vs Zombies?

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

punk rebel ecks posted:

Utilize in a broader sense.

Like patent trolls or children (legislation passed because "think of the children", etc.).

At least that was my take.

Zoran posted:

I think the instructive example here is that we required labels for food that had been sterilized with radiation (which was safe, cheap, and effective) and then the public refused to buy the food that had the scary R word.

:same:

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Utilize in a broader sense.

Like patent trolls or children (legislation passed because "think of the children", etc.).

At least that was my take.

ya that's what i was talking about

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I was under the impression that GMOs are bad because they contribute to a monoculture and thus decrease genetic diversity. This is apparently bad because a virus could wipe out an entire crop in several areas if it spreads, since all Monsanto corn (for example) would have the same genetic weakness.

The whole "GMOs give you cancer" is obvious hocus pocus though.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
That isn't an issue limited to GMO. Banana monoculture and a blight long ago has us with a different today.

Yeah, we need smarter farming, too.

E: potato famine, too

Corky Romanovsky has issued a correction as of 15:12 on Jul 2, 2016

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Consider the AquaAdvantage Salmon: the first GMO animal approved for human consumption. It grows year-round instead of just in the spring and summer, which means that it achieves full size in 16-18 months instead of 3-5 years.

It also eats a lot more. A LOT more.

Right now, this salmon is grown in enclosed farms. You know what else eats enormous amounts of food and was only grown in enclosed farms? Asian carp. The reason I say was is because a flood released them into the public water streams, and is currently threatening the great lakes as massive efforts are underway to prevent them from entering and completely loving poo poo Up for the rest of the lakes, and everything that depends on them.

This is why you should be against GMOs. Health scares aren't only unfounded (as far as research has provided) but also a stupid and wrong loving reason to be against a thing that is actually very bad.

Also, if you don't have a problem with enormous, multi-national corporations owning the patent on the world's food supply, idk what to tell you.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

That sounds like a reason to be against Omnivorous Supersalmon, and the domination of massive multinational corporations, not a general technique that is approximately as old as agriculture.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
Genetic modification goes beyond food. Unless you're willing to tell everyone with type I diabetes, hemophilia, etc. to gently caress off, GENETIC MODIFICATION = BAD is a dumb stance to take.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'll tell you what. You can have GMO labeling if we also get mandated warning messages on homeopathic substances that say in 24-point text THIS IS LITERALLY JUST WATER IT WILL NOT CURE YOU AT ALL.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

docbeard posted:

I'll tell you what. You can have GMO labeling if we also get mandated warning messages on homeopathic substances that say in 24-point text THIS IS LITERALLY JUST WATER IT WILL NOT CURE YOU AT ALL.

Sounds good to me!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Consider the AquaAdvantage Salmon: the first GMO animal approved for human consumption. It grows year-round instead of just in the spring and summer, which means that it achieves full size in 16-18 months instead of 3-5 years.

Right now, this salmon is grown in enclosed farms. You know what else eats enormous amounts of food and was only grown in enclosed farms? Asian carp. The reason I say was is because a flood released them into the public water streams, and is currently threatening the great lakes as massive efforts are underway to prevent them from entering and completely loving poo poo Up for the rest of the lakes, and everything that depends on them.

This is why you should be against GMOs. Health scares aren't only unfounded (as far as research has provided) but also a stupid and wrong loving reason to be against a thing that is actually very bad.

Also, if you don't have a problem with enormous, multi-national corporations owning the patent on the world's food supply, idk what to tell you.

This is the only legitimate complaint against GMOs I've heard so far.

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

FreakerByTheSpeaker posted:

Gene patents in the US and Europe don't hold up in court.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

docbeard posted:

This should also be a thing.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
It must work if the government and big pharma have mandated labels trying to suppress these snake oils.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that GMO labeling will become a thing while every vitamin sold in America remains unregulated by the FDA is pretty :laugh:

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

EugeneJ posted:

The fact that GMO labeling will become a thing while every vitamin sold in America remains unregulated by the FDA is pretty :suicide:

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

docbeard posted:

I am down with this. Crack down on bullshit alt med and you can have your dumbass GMO labels.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

EugeneJ posted:

The fact that GMO labeling will become a thing while every vitamin sold in America remains unregulated by the FDA is pretty :laugh:

Or the virtual monopoly of multiple food sectors.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

punk rebel ecks posted:

Or the virtual monopoly of multiple food sectors.

Labelling is dumb, but I'll get behind it if it makes the pro-label people pay some loving attention to the important poo poo like this and supplements.

Freemason Rush Week
Apr 22, 2006

I'm for it more because it sets a precedent than anything.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

Breadallelogram posted:

I am down with this. Crack down on bullshit alt med and you can have your dumbass GMO labels.

see now this is a good compromise imv

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
no because alt med weirdos deserve to be bankrupt but some rando small farmer probably doesn't.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

docbeard posted:

Compromise:

For entertainment purposes only

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Tatum Girlparts posted:

no because alt med weirdos deserve to be bankrupt

Compassionate human being here itt.

just kidding

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

docbeard posted:

I'm for this.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine

EugeneJ posted:

I'm also for vitamins and all matter of snake oils to be regulated and tested by the FDA.

I'm not sure why we can't have both.

FreakerByTheSpeaker
Dec 3, 2006

You got your good things
And I've got mine
Like seriously, why do people think I want both GMO labeling and also be against selective breeding/for homeopathy?

Is this sort of how Democrats hate protesters for blocking traffic and not playing by the democratic process?

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013
My main concern with GMOs was the genetic patents, are those like 100% absolutely gone now?
My other issues are the potential for horizontal gene transfer to give us Roundup ReadyŽ dandelions or something like that, and the potential side effects of introducing modified life into an ecosystem.
Would I eat GMO food myself? Hell yeah. Irradiate that poo poo for longer shelf life too, doesn't bother me at all.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
hmm...

https://twitter.com/billmon1/status/750001243599364097

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

It's an article about social issues, it says social issues right there

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Tatum Girlparts posted:

It's an article about social issues, it says social issues right there

poverty is a social issue, dipshit

NumberLast
Jun 7, 2014

Top City Homo posted:

poverty is a social issue, dipshit

Also, being left on social issues without having the economic issues to back them up is basically saying "Wow it sucks that your life is hard...Well see ya!"

In a lot of ways it's worse than nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Where'd I put democrats.png

• Locked thread