Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fsmhunk posted:

The angels had somewhat weak personalities, I hope that Godzilla Isn't made as secondary as the Angels became later on. Honestly I started liking all the characters at least a little but in the end I just wanted them all to die, maybe they did, the ending wasn't too clear.

watch end of evangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Fsmhunk posted:

What is an AT field?

The manifestation of the barrier between your spirit and the rest of humanity. That which prevents you from ever truly opening up to someone else. Your existential terror at the thought of having to engage in human contact, projected outwards into a literal goddamn force field.

Obviously.

Also, I expect that Godzilla will be somewhat easier to follow than Eva was. :v:

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

watch end of evangelion

I must not run away... Here I go.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Fsmhunk posted:

I must not run away... Here I go.

it all comes tumbling down

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Fsmhunk posted:

What did I just watch? Am I even real?

congratulations

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I couldn't imagine watching Eva in such a short time frame...

I almost envy you

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

a kitten posted:

congratulations

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIscL-Bjsq4

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished end of eva, I'll take the applause ending please. Are there any good robot shows with more action and less.... Whatever the hell that was.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Fsmhunk posted:

Just finished end of eva, I'll take the applause ending please. Are there any good robot shows with more action and less.... Whatever the hell that was.

Giant Robo

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Fsmhunk posted:

yeah, it's good. Makes me feel like poo poo just remembering it.

Big O, Gurren Lagann, and Gunbuster/Diebuster are all great.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Fsmhunk posted:

The original Macross(then watch the movie Macross:Do You Remember Love) is pretty good, so are the trilogy movies they did for the original Gundam. There's a bunch of good Gundam series too but you'll want to ask someone else to point you in the right direction. I liked Turn A Gundam though, it was neat

E: oh drat, Macross Plus is also great! Better even then the original series, but much shorter, so yeah. I'd recommend the full OVA and not the trimmed down movies, but there are a few minor differences between the two so some nerds watch both (not this guy tho)

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jul 3, 2016

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPKULArJNCQ

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Also Vifam!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fsmhunk posted:

if you just want a series of cool fights and don't care too much about anything else, gundam build fighters has very good fights. you don't need to have seen other gundam shows to enjoy it (there are some pretty cool nods to gundam if you're familiar witht he franchise but nothing really improtant). do note that it's not representative of the larger gundam franchise pretty much at all.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chas McGill posted:

I couldn't imagine watching Eva in such a short time frame...

I almost envy you
I started watching it with a friend who was new to anime on my computer back in the day. I had to go to work though so I told him to go to bed and we'd pick it back up later.

I got home from work and he was halfway through end of eva, having watched the entire series and diving straight in. I walked into the room and he was holding his head like psyduck and just kinda slowly turns to look at me with this blank, bewildered stare on his face

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ninjewtsu posted:

if you just want a series of cool fights and don't care too much about anything else, gundam build fighters has very good fights. you don't need to have seen other gundam shows to enjoy it (there are some pretty cool nods to gundam if you're familiar witht he franchise but nothing really improtant). do note that it's not representative of the larger gundam franchise pretty much at all.

Ehhh I'd recommend seeing a "proper" Gundam series first before Build Fighters, any of them, just because half the fun is recognising the neat custom kits. Iron Blood Orphans or Gundam 00 are both fantastic Gundam series worth watching in that regard.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
8th MS Team is a bad show but it has some of the best fights in the entire Gundam franchise, chief among them being the Gouf encounter.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ehhh I'd recommend seeing a "proper" Gundam series first before Build Fighters, any of them, just because half the fun is recognising the neat custom kits. Iron Blood Orphans or Gundam 00 are both fantastic Gundam series worth watching in that regard.

imo the excellent fight choreography is more than half the fun

recognizing the neat customs is fun but it's pretty secondary to everything else that makes build fighters good

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

8th MS Team is a bad show but it has some of the best fights in the entire Gundam franchise, chief among them being the Gouf encounter.
It's a great show!! It's like, that and Turn A when it comes to Gundam shows I'd actually recommend.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
When was the last time you watched it? The premise is great, the ground gundams are great, the ragtag crew and nature of it is great, the plot is one of the worst in any gundam and actively drags it down with some of the stupidest, most head-up-rear end characters in the franchise

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Captain Invictus posted:

the stupidest, most head-up-rear end characters in the franchise
Because the other shows in the franchise, particularly the Tomino shows, don't feature this?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
There's lots in gundam series to be sure (what I've seen anyways) but 8th ms team has some of the most insufferable, which is a shame because I love most of the main RX-79 crew

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I will watch this one next, the design of the robot really appeals to me.

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

Fsmhunk posted:

Watch the Rebuild movies

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I dream of a world in which everybody has watched Giant Robo.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Fsmhunk posted:

I will watch this one next, the design of the robot really appeals to me.
Good choice. Giant Robo is always at the top of my recommendation list for people who like action-adventure, cool retro robots, or crazy martial-arts/super-powers. Also, the music is great.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
There's also the 2009 Mazinger Z, if you want a look into the reimagined origin of the genre. I am down with anything Go Nagai.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Shin Mazinger is good but if you only watch one Imagawa anime, you can't do better than Giant Robo

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Kokoro Wish posted:

There's also the 2009 Mazinger Z, if you want a look into the reimagined origin of the genre. I am down with anything Go Nagai.

Mazinger Z being the origin of the genre is a myth, the original mecha manga was actually Tetsujin 28-go, which preceded it by 16 years. It also had a very good reimagining by the same director as 2009 Mazinger Z in 2004.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It didn't originate the concept of giant robots, but it did define almost everything to do with super robots. Much like Gundam defined a lot of what constituted "real" robots.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kokoro Wish posted:

3 seconds into the intro and I am sold.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm looking for an anime that has a focus or at least, mentions tactics like World Trigger.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
what in the motherfuck

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Also I had Berserk highly recommended to me, "watch the movie trilogy and then start watching the new series."

I now feel like these recommendations should at least mention ten+ minute graphic rape scenes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Chocobo posted:

Also I had Berserk highly recommended to me, "watch the movie trilogy and then start watching the new series."

I now feel like these recommendations should at least mention ten+ minute graphic rape scenes.

they also forgot to mention that they suck

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

who the hell recommends the movie series and the new series over the manga

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yes. That scene is rather graphic and I almost cringed when the trailer for the game decided that the best way to talk about berserk was to hint at that scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Cake Attack posted:

who the hell recommends the movie series and the new series over the manga

The only way I could see that happening is if said person doesn't have enough time or money to read the whole thing. But yes, they really should try to make some time to read the original source material at some point.

Not that the sex scenes and rape incidents aren't in the manga or anything, in an equally explicit fashion. And sure, it's true the basic story doesn't really change. Yet the original format does manage to paint a more complex picture in terms of character and plot development through several scenes that aren't in any of the adaptations, especially not the movies. They're okay as quick compilations in order to refresh your memory, but not a replacement for the original product. The 3DCG is pretty bad though and the new series looks even worse in that respect.