Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

BattleMaster posted:

I definitely wouldn't mind if uniformed cops were not allowed to take part in the future

Why does one group get to hijack Pride to get another group excluded? Should unions and the $15 minimum wage people be permitted to block the parade until the organizers agree to exclude the Tories, because the latter's official policy is incompatible with a living wage for workers?

If they spent half as much time actually trying to fix anything as they do grandstanding and making incoherent and inexplicable demands, they'd end up doing a lot of good. Instead, their public-facing actions consist almost entirely of power plays to show what they can make other people do, so it starts to look like that's the entire purpose of the organization, as far as the leaders are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I don't feel super informed on what BLM Toronto's agenda is beyond the most superficial "stop shooting black people" but I am pretty certain that one of their stunts is going to blow up in their faces more than today and it'll be a sight to behold.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

THC posted:

If you're queer or you fancy yourself an ally and your opinion is against BLM then you need to sort your fuckin life out
Speaking of bad allies, BLMTO's token shout outs to FNMI issues in order to add some Canadian flavor to their us-too bandwagoning of an American civil rights movement is problematic.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

tagesschau posted:

Why does one group get to hijack Pride to get another group excluded? Should unions and the $15 minimum wage people be permitted to block the parade until the organizers agree to exclude the Tories, because the latter's official policy is incompatible with a living wage for workers?

If they spent half as much time actually trying to fix anything as they do grandstanding and making incoherent and inexplicable demands, they'd end up doing a lot of good. Instead, their public-facing actions consist almost entirely of power plays to show what they can make other people do, so it starts to look like that's the entire purpose of the organization, as far as the leaders are concerned.

Well to be honest at first I was skeptical but I'd say Pinterest Mom just gave a pretty good argument for at the very least telling cops to gently caress off

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heavy neutrino posted:

Well to be honest at first I was skeptical but I'd say Pinterest Mom just gave a pretty good argument for at the very least telling cops to gently caress off

How long is their ban?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Call it a decade since the last instance of transphobia or homophobia from an on-duty member of the force.

You could talk me down to five years, probably, but only because I believe that it's functionally equivalent to ten years.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I'm gonna go with "literally loving forever unless the officer(s) in question is/are queer" tbh

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Frosted Flake posted:

Nice of BLM to turn public opinion against them once again by shutting down TO Pride for 30 minutes.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/wp/bl...-justin-trudeau

https://twitter.com/alexem/status/749684475022471169

This is extremely good news.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
good thing we don't have BLM in vancouver

:smugdon:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

I'm gonna go with "literally loving forever unless the officer(s) in question is/are queer" tbh

yeah, because attending a pride parade if you're not queer is like stealing their identity, man

Pinterest Mom posted:

Call it a decade since the last instance of transphobia or homophobia from an on-duty member of the force.

You could talk me down to five years, probably, but only because I believe that it's functionally equivalent to ten years.

this is pretty stupid and you seem like you're normally practical enough to know better.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
About 20 people moved out of Victoria's Tent City this week. There was a call-out for volunteers, hoping someone had a truck, so they didn't get much official help with it. The move bought the City a little more time before the fire safety enforcement cracks down, but I wouldn't be surprised if those vacancies get filled before the View Royal housing does. It took the fire order gun-to-the-head to get those 20 out.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pinterest Mom posted:

Would you extend that to other institutions? Federal government? Banks? Hospitals? Schools?

You'd have a pretty sparse parade with that sort of collective guilt applied, I think.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
looks like victoria is getting its own christiania

gratz guys

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

namaste faggots posted:

yeah, you need black people for that

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
YLM

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Subjunctive posted:

Would you extend that to other institutions? Federal government? Banks? Hospitals? Schools?

You'd have a pretty sparse parade with that sort of collective guilt applied, I think.

Most of those institutions haven't literally killed gay people.

Though, I'm a bit tired of about the 10 different facebook posts I've seen today saying that if you disagree with them stopping the parade your a "bigot' whose 'racism is showing' etc. Not really into the whole using ideological purity as a shield of any and all criticism thing, or the idea that if you don't agree with a cause 100% of the time you're a garbage ally. Not that the whole world's saying it, but it sure has hell tends to be the loudest voice online. Or I guess it just seems that way to me because I have tons of hardcore feminist facebook friends. Time to going back to my policy of never interacting with politics online I guess.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

If anyone needed to disappear and never to be heard from again it's that hideous person.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/PeterKimGlobal/status/749707271387557889

There was their demands.. Police was number 8.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

namaste faggots posted:

looks like victoria is getting its own christiania

gratz guys

Tent city makes christiania look like yale town. It's criminals and the worst sort of lumpen using the mentally ill as cover while "poverty activists" circle jerk each other around the sacred fire.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Baronjutter posted:

Tent city makes christiania look like yale town. It's criminals and the worst sort of lumpen using the mentally ill as cover while "poverty activists" circle jerk each other around the sacred fire.

you're a monster. there are some legitimate weed activists in that camp

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

attackmole posted:

You can trace a lot of activity back to policies controlled by the federal government, but I'd understood the trigger to be transphobia on duty, not homicide. Given the rates of suicide among transgendered people, there's a lot of culpability to spread across social services as a start.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Sure? I'd certainly look unfavourably on, say, CAMH having a big presence at Pride, and I'd extend it to private companies, too — I have a problem with Facebook being a big sponsor of SF Pride while its real name policy makes it very hard for transpeople to use the website.

Who cares about the size of the parade?

Jordan7hm posted:

this is pretty stupid and you seem like you're normally practical enough to know better.

I don't know what this means! Pride is very literally a commemoration of queer resistance against police oppression, and some queer populations are still disproportionately targeted and harmed by police. We don't owe them a platform in our parade.

New Coke
Nov 28, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
This isn't even a "perfect is the enemy of the good" situation. I do basically support BLM's goals, but this amounts to saying "hell with you guys, our cause is more important." gently caress them.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

attackmole posted:

Though, I'm a bit tired of about the 10 different facebook posts I've seen today saying that if you disagree with them stopping the parade your a "bigot' whose 'racism is showing' etc. Not really into the whole using ideological purity as a shield of any and all criticism thing, or the idea that if you don't agree with a cause 100% of the time you're a garbage ally. Not that the whole world's saying it, but it sure has hell tends to be the loudest voice online. Or I guess it just seems that way to me because I have tons of hardcore feminist facebook friends. Time to going back to my policy of never interacting with politics online I guess.

Think of it as a neo-religion. Remember how shocked people once were if you indicated that you weren't Christian or questioned or doubted the religion in any way?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

I don't know what this means! Pride is very literally a commemoration of queer resistance against police oppression, and some queer populations are still disproportionately targeted and harmed by police. We don't owe them a platform in our parade.

I'm not advancing this position myself, but I think the argument is it's better to have TPS positively engaged with the community than not at all.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah, because attending a pride parade if you're not queer is like stealing their identity, man

We've historically had a pretty loving rocky relationship with the police, to the point that, yes, some queer activists have advocated for not letting police anywhere near Pride. I, on the other hand, would simply prefer if they did not march in Pride unless they, themselves, were queer, and I'd prefer it if they kept their on-duty presence fairly low-key seeing as there are both cops and queer folks alive today who remember - and in some cases may have been affected by or even involved in - violence against queer people as perpetrated by the police.

Thanks for the worthless snark though, guy.

infernal machines posted:

I'm not advancing this position myself, but I think the argument is it's better to have TPS positively engaged with the community than not at all.

Remember that big conversation about de-escalation a few days back? Saying "hey, let us know if you need help" and then loving off to a respectful distance is a pretty good de-escalation strategy in this case I think.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 4, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

New Coke posted:

This isn't even a "perfect is the enemy of the good" situation. I do basically support BLM's goals, but this amounts to saying "hell with you guys, our cause is more important." gently caress them.

well gays do have marriage, blood donations, and free range toilet use now

whereas white people can still get away with murdering blacks for no reason

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

<Milo yuppopolis>

Hahah get the gently caress out of here

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

attackmole posted:

You're joking right?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
*On the scale of police, no.

I mean there's a million different political institutions that make living queer loving miserable and have in the past/currently push you into an early death, but as far as organizations that kick in the door of your bar and beat the gently caress out of you, that would mainly be the cops, yeah, so they get the brunt of the resentment.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The feds only hounded people out of their jobs and humiliated them because they could be Commie infiltrators. Many of them killed themselves as a result, or they starved or whatever but they weren't executed, so I guess we're cool

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jul 4, 2016

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Excelsiortothemax posted:

If anyone needed to disappear and never to be heard from again it's that hideous person.

To be fair, I can't tell if it's really him. Where's his Twitter checkmark? :v:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Leofish posted:

To be fair, I can't tell if it's really him. Where's his Twitter checkmark? :v:

Liberal Media took it away to discredit him, because he wasn't doing a good enough job on his own. :haw:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

namaste faggots posted:

I'm sure it's only a matter of time.
http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/m/article/hogans-alley/

BLM in Toronto is pretty absurd. Whoever said it was an "us-too" movement had it right. When the Star alleged racial profiling a few years back it pretty spectacularly blew up in their faces. Couple that with a fairly inclusive gay community (discounting "No Blacks, No Asians" Grindrs) and I can't see why anyone thought this was a good idea.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Frosted Flake posted:

When the Star alleged racial profiling a few years back it pretty spectacularly blew up in their faces.

What?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/publications/files/reports/harveyreport.pdf

Guy DeBorgore
Apr 6, 1994

Catnip is the opiate of the masses
Soiled Meat

haha most of this stuff looks like the sort of logistical poo poo you'd hash out over a conference call. they probably could've accomplished half their demands with an email. instead they threw a giant public tantrum in front of the prime minister about it.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Guy DeBorgore posted:

haha most of this stuff looks like the sort of logistical poo poo you'd hash out over a conference call. they probably could've accomplished half their demands with an email. instead they threw a giant public tantrum in front of the prime minister about it.

And it worked. Good for them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Rust Martialis posted:

And it worked. Good for them

They might have to define what "working" means, beside turning the PM, Premier, and public against them.

They interrupted First Nations dancers to make one passing comment about indigenous people during their interruption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

"The results of the independent review show that in the areas of out of sight (nonmoving)
offences, simple drug possession (DRUGSPOSESS), and possession of
cocaine, Blacks are over-represented in the offender population relative to their
numbers in the total population of each Division being analyzed."

Your report agrees that blacks are heavily overrepresented in those charged with simple drug offenses. (Not so with prostitution and impaired driving, though.)