Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

And I'd be fine doing a general Flash thread if I knew literally anything about the Flash outside of the tv show and a couple of episodes of Journey into Misery, but I'm pretty unqualified to make a thread like that.

goesflash.txt is still bannable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If someone wants make a general Flash thread you can post your thoughts on a read through that's fine, but we're not going full TVIV and have a thread like I made you do with bad TV shows. If there is a Flash thread made it needs to be made by someone that actually knows Flash and can put together a great OP.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

For what it's worth, I suggested Flash because the Wally West series is generally regarded as decent-to-excellent for its entire run. It wasn't because I thought you might want to engage in complete spiritual communion with Wally West, the Flash, the Fastest Man Alive, by consuming the whole of his chronicled history. It would probably be a bit if a slog to read every goddamn appearance of any major "name" character across several decades of constant publication.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I would also read and post in a Flash thread but would refrain from posting my Flash tattoo and am unqualified to make an OP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I want a Flash Thread. But I am also not the sort that can make an Op for it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Toxxupation posted:

I think the only way such a project would be enjoyable to read about is if I read everything, good bad and indifferent (and provide thoughts on it all) that Wally West appeared in in some sort of chronological order, so is that it? Because in my preliminary research I'm seeing some Flash/Green Lantern mini (The Brave and The Bold). And shouldn't, realistically speaking, a Wally West readthrough end in Flashpoint since that's when he's erased from existence?

Also I'd need help building a reading order of some sort. Are there any other line-wide or Flash comic-specific crossovers besides those?

The Brave and The Bold mini was about Barry Allen and Hal Jordan. Wally appears as Kid Flash in one of them, but it's mostly about playing Barry and Hal off each other in different situations. The vast majority of periphery Flash stuff during Wally's run is actually about Barry, like that or the original Flashpoint or whatnot. Barry showed up a lot for a dead guy in a bunch of flashback stuff.

Aside from team books like JLA, JLI/E, Justice League Elite, Titans etc Wally doesn't show up in too much else besides his own book. If you want to read those alongside then go for it. JLA and JLI/E are great. But they're not very Wally focused/centric (The Flash has always been rather unimportant in team books) and there's practically no crossover. Most, if not all, of Wally's character arc and journey just takes place in The Flash.

If you want to read EVERYTHING then I suppose you'd have to check out Infinite Crisis, the horrible Bart run as The Flash, Lightning Saga (which is a JLA volume 2 tie in thing), then Wally's return which all follows the normal #225 stopping point. Lightning Saga's about as close as you ever get to an important to Wally's own book thing that happens in Justice League books. Otherwise it's only semi-occasionally brought up in his book that he's in the Justice League. It'd be like reading all of the New 52 Justice League because some JL members show up at the start of Endgame.

A Wally readthrough would end with Flash Rebirth/Blackest Night. He stops appearing after that when Barry comes back. He shows up as a minor character in one tie-in Flashpoint issue where he gets like 2 lines before dying. I guess you could follow through with that if you want to get the full fisting DC gave the fanbase after Rebirth.

edit: I suppose if anyone was going to make a Flash thread it'd be me, but I don't know poo poo about the Golden/Silver age poo poo so I couldn't do much there. Not really sure how I'd go about testing it or whatever, I don't ever make threads. Not even sure it'd really sustain itself. Don't even have a WW or GL thread and they're way more popular 'round these parts than The Flash.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jul 3, 2016

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

SeannieDarko posted:

Anyone big Legion readers here? I've got a question. Is the Legion that is in the New 52 title a continuation of the one that was in the most recent Adventure Comics and Volume 6?

Unfortunately, yes.

Not only is it the same L*, they even go out of their way in the first Nu52 issue to note that since "the Flashpoint event" traveling to the past has become impossible (which is how a chunk of the team is marooned, thus the Nu52 Legion Lost book).

Of course this completely skullfucked a lot of things considering how very much of the retroboot's storylines rested firmly on pre-Nu52 and very recent shenanigans (New Krypton, Mon-El's stint replacing Clark in Metropolis, multiple important threads and events involving Connor Kent, team members picked up during Legion of Three Worlds, etc etc etc). But what odds, right? It's only the Legion of Super-Heroes!

... Seriously, this was probably the only time a full L* reboot would have made sense and then they -- didn't do it. DC, everybody!

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

taichara posted:

Unfortunately, yes.

Not only is it the same L*, they even go out of their way in the first Nu52 issue to note that since "the Flashpoint event" traveling to the past has become impossible (which is how a chunk of the team is marooned, thus the Nu52 Legion Lost book).

Of course this completely skullfucked a lot of things considering how very much of the retroboot's storylines rested firmly on pre-Nu52 and very recent shenanigans (New Krypton, Mon-El's stint replacing Clark in Metropolis, multiple important threads and events involving Connor Kent, team members picked up during Legion of Three Worlds, etc etc etc). But what odds, right? It's only the Legion of Super-Heroes!

... Seriously, this was probably the only time a full L* reboot would have made sense and then they -- didn't do it. DC, everybody!

Ah dammit. I was hoping it was just very similar since Earth Man was dead and it looks like Polar Boy had two real arms and not an ice one.I haven't read Volume 6 yet because I still need two issues so I don't know what happens.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jul 3, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Squizzle posted:

For what it's worth, I suggested Flash because the Wally West series is generally regarded as decent-to-excellent for its entire run. It wasn't because I thought you might want to engage in complete spiritual communion with Wally West, the Flash, the Fastest Man Alive, by consuming the whole of his chronicled history. It would probably be a bit if a slog to read every goddamn appearance of any major "name" character across several decades of constant publication.

Fair enough. I'll just read whatever Two Tone Shoes recommended then.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So besides reading some early and late new 52 of Batman and Superman Doomed, I've read nothing else of DC for a long time. With Marvel kind of bleh for me right now I'm looking for something new. I'm assuming I can read the one shot and just jump off on any titles I'm interested in or is there a reading order?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 3, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

gfanikf posted:

So besides reading some early and late new 52 of batman and superman doomed, I've read nothing else of dc for a long time. With Marvel kind of bleh for me right now I'm looking for something new. I'm assuming I can read the one shot and just jump off on any titles I'm interested in or is there a reading order?

Yeah most of them are pretty solid jumping on points so far. The set up to Superman's current deal is a little convoluted but I think they explain it pretty well in the issues themselves. It helps that the comics have been pretty good so far too.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

gfanikf posted:

So besides reading some early and late new 52 of Batman and Superman Doomed, I've read nothing else of DC for a long time. With Marvel kind of bleh for me right now I'm looking for something new. I'm assuming I can read the one shot and just jump off on any titles I'm interested in or is there a reading order?

Just made a post for someone asking a similar thing in the recommendation thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=461602418

Ya go DC Universe Rebirth Special, Series Rebirth #1 issue (they act like #0's), then Series #1 issue. Some series don't have "Rebirth #1's" and Action Comics and Detective Comics have gone back to original numbering so #900something are their starts.
So far, everything seems fine to jump on except that the backstory for the new Superman was told in the 'Superman: Lois and Clark" series. Tomasi's 'Superman' is one of the best, so that's worth it.

e: For something new, try Flintstones this week. It's by the guy who did Prez, and looks to be pretty special.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 3, 2016

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Travis343 posted:

Yeah most of them are pretty solid jumping on points so far. The set up to Superman's current deal is a little convoluted but I think they explain it pretty well in the issues themselves. It helps that the comics have been pretty good so far too.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Just made a post for someone asking a similar thing in the recommendation thread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=461602418

Ya go DC Universe Rebirth Special, Series Rebirth #1 issue (they act like #0's), then Series #1 issue. Some series don't have "Rebirth #1's" and Action Comics and Detective Comics have gone back to original numbering so #900something are their starts.
So far, everything seems fine to jump on except that the backstory for the new Superman was told in the 'Superman: Lois and Clark" series. Tomasi's 'Superman' is one of the best, so that's worth it.

e: For something new, try Flintstones this week. It's by the guy who did Prez, and looks to be pretty special.

Thanks! I just picked up the Special and the Superman and Batman tie-ins. I figure that's a good starting point. So how long is the $2.99 pricing lasting for? I mean I know it sounds odd, but it allows me to get a few extra titles here and there. Also makes up for the whole DC not doing codes in their books (granted I mostly only buy digital anyway, but if its in both, then why not get the floppy)

I'd actually love to read the Scooby Doo one. My daughter loves Scooby Doo (and so do I) and reads the DC comics so I'm going to have to get a digital version of that since I was total that it's along the lines of Archie v Predator and not appropriate for kids in the least.

Edit: Do I need Justice League 50 and Superman 52 also?

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 3, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
You don't need them, no. Everything important in those books is recapped in Rebirth, that note is just there to tell you order since Rebirth spoils those books.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You should read Superman 52 though, because it's...you know...good.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

As a counterpoint... That final Superman story blew!
Also, those are the last issues in full storylines, so they wouldn't do much alone.

e: Superman #52 does have some Rebirth pertinent details that aren't covered in the special.
When N52 Superman died, bits of some life essence shot out of him into N52 Lois and Lana, and two others flew off out of frame. N52 Lois and Lana are going to star in the upcoming Superwoman series.

They haven't set an end date for $2.99. I suppose profits will dictate that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 3, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Toxxupation posted:

Fair enough. I'll just read whatever Two Tone Shoes recommended then.

For most people the rec is just 62-225, but if you want to read all the way from 1 to 247 then I can oblige. All the Flash stuff is volume 2.

Flash 1-94
Flash 0
Flash 95-108
Impulse 10
Flash 109
Impulse 11
Flash 110-206
Flash 207-217 kind of runs at the same time as Identity Crisis and there's some parallelism in there where Identity Crisis reveals tie into this arc
Flash 218 and 219
Wonder Woman 214
Flash 220-230

After that Wally disappears in Infinite Crisis, which eventually spins off into Bart Allen's terrible run as The Flash in "The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive 1-12." I would never recommend this to anyone because it is abhorrently bad but if you're a super completionist about this thing it technically matters.

The Lightning Saga: Justice League of America (Volume 2) #8, Justice Society of America (Volume 3) #5, Justice League of America (Volume 2) #9, Justice Society of America (Volume 3) #6, Justice League of America (Volume 2) #10

All Flash #1

Flash 231-247

The only thing I really left out were the Annuals, most of which are just one offs but if you're really interested in those you can find where they land chronologically here: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/the-flash-annual/4050-3791/

After that, it's basically Flash Rebirth 1-6 and Flash: Blackest Night 1-3 (which ran concurrently, but in universe Blackest Night happens directly after Flash Rebirth) and that's the end of Wally being The Flash. He shows up for a short conversation in Flash volume 3 #11 and, finally, in the Flashpoint tie-in Citizen Cold #1 and in flashbacks in 2-3.

The only other stuff that heavily features Wally West is the JL books I mentioned earlier. JLA 1-90 is always a good recommendation, as is JLI 1-25 and JLE 1-50, though Wally only appears once it becomes Justice League Europe, iirc, you should still read JLI first before it splits off into Justice League America and Justice League Europe.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 3, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Also, those are the last issues in full storylines, so they wouldn't do much alone.

e: Superman #52 does have some Rebirth pertinent details that aren't covered in the special.
When N52 Superman died, four bits of life essence shot out of him into N52 Lois and Lana, and the other two shot off out of frame. N52 Lois and Lana are going to star in the upcoming Superwoman series.

$2.99 will remain so long as they are bi monthly.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Toxxupation posted:

You should read Superman 52 though, because it's...you know...good.

don't *buy* it tho, because Superman editorial is the scum of the earth

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
There are a few other small crossovers--a four-issue one with Hal Jordan (GL 30/Flash 69/GL 31/Flash 70), and a three-issue story with Kyle and Connor (GL 96, GA 130, Flash 135.) Can't think of any others offhand.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I decided to finally read All-Star Superman in its entirety.

I thought it was pretty fine, I guess. I felt distinctly underwhelmed when I read it, I guess; I think it had a great Luthor issue, a great Pa Kent issue, and everything else was varying levels of forgettable. I actually kinda hated the Bizarro arc and felt like it was a giant waste of time, but that's because I find Bizarro's speech patterns to be the single dumbest and most irritating poo poo to read in the world. That Bizarro national anthem was loving great, though.

There was a lot I really liked, like how Morrison wrote Clark Kent to be an utter chump whose total klutziness enabled him to "accidentally" save people. Clark Kent revealing his secret identity to Lois only for her to reject it out of hand and, worse than that, fear that Clark might actually be Superman felt really fake and dishonest to Lois. In general Lois feels distinctly lesser in this whole story; outside of her issue (in which she's literally a prize to be won) she comes across as barely or nonpresent. Everyone talks about rear end as the definitive take on Superman and a lot of it just didn't really work for me or on me.

That reveal that the earth Superman created explicitly without a Superman ending up being the earth that created Superman was actually a really brilliant narrative move on Morrison's part. I dunno; I just have a whole lot of mixed feelings about it, I guess. After hearing rear end trumped up for so long and seeing so much of it out of context or reading an issue here and there I was expecting, like, an emotional epic in 12 issues over the "Eh, that was decent I guess' reaction I ended up having.

Unbelievable Frank Quitely art though. Like, his best art he's ever done or will ever do. Dude deserved an Eisner for that poo poo.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jul 4, 2016

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

I decided to finally read All-Star Superman in its entirety.

I thought it was pretty fine, I guess. I felt distinctly underwhelmed when I read it, I guess; I think it had a great Luthor issue, a great Pa Kent issue, and everything else was varying levels of forgettable. I actually kinda hated the Bizarro arc and felt like it was a giant waste of time, but that's because I find Bizarro's speech patterns to be the single dumbest and most irritating poo poo to read in the world. That Bizarro national anthem was loving great, though.

There was a lot I really liked, like how Morrison wrote Clark Kent to be an utter chump whose total klutziness enabled him to "accidentally" save people. Clark Kent revealing his secret identity to Lois only for her to reject it out of hand and, worse than that, fear that Clark might actually be Superman felt really fake and dishonest to Lois. In general Lois feels distinctly lesser in this whole story; outside of her issue (in which she's literally a prize to be won) she comes across as barely or nonpresent. Everyone talks about rear end as the definitive take on Superman and a lot of it just didn't really work for me or on me.

That reveal that the earth Superman created explicitly without a Superman ending up being the earth that created Superman was actually a really brilliant narrative move on Morrison's part.

Unbelievable Frank Quitely art though. Like, his best art he's ever done or will ever do. Dude deserved an Eisner for that poo poo.

Personally I don't think rear end is necessarily the definitive take on Superman, but it is the definitive take on Golden/Silver Age Superman, which is probably also why Lois is the way she is. Like this isn't 'our' Superman and Lois, who are like the best couple in comics, this is "I'm going to turn myself into a gorilla to trick Superman into marrying me" Superman and Lois, but told reverently, as one would in a eulogy.

And The Ventriloquist's "GATMAN AND ROGIN" is the single dumbest and most irritating poo poo to read in the world, full stop.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

All Star Superman is not the definitive take on Superman nor would I ever tell someone it was. It's frequently recommended around here when someone asks for good Superman stories but I always think that's a bad idea. It's a love letter to Superman for fans that really know the history of the character. It's not something you just dive into and it all works. I mean I guess you could do that, but it's not designed that way. It's no secret that I'm not a big fan of Morrison at all, but it's a great book if you approach it as a longtime fan of the character and appreciate the history, be it the serious or goofy parts, of Superman. I'm never surprised to see this kind of reaction from someone that doesn't have a deep appreciation for the character.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Travis343 posted:

Personally I don't think rear end is necessarily the definitive take on Superman, but it is the definitive take on Golden/Silver Age Superman, which is probably also why Lois is the way she is. Like this isn't 'our' Superman and Lois, who are like the best couple in comics, this is "I'm going to turn myself into a gorilla to trick Superman into marrying me" Superman and Lois, but told reverently, as one would in a eulogy.

And The Ventriloquist's "GATMAN AND ROGIN" is the single dumbest and most irritating poo poo to read in the world, full stop.

Yeah this is exactly it. It is the definitive take on Silver Age Superman through a modern (and drug fueled) lens. Definitive take for the modern era has to go to Johns Action comics run beginning with "Up, Up, and Away" plus Secret Origins. It really is an incredible run.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah this is exactly it. It is the definitive take on Silver Age Superman through a modern (and drug fueled) lens. Definitive take for the modern era has to go to Johns Action comics run beginning with "Up, Up, and Away" plus Secret Origins. It really is an incredible run.

No, definitely not Secret Origins. Secret Origins is bad.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Toxxupation posted:

I used to think I hated Quitely because I was mainly familiar with his New X-Men stuff with Morrison and thought he just always drew people as weird lumpy potato-face creatures.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

X-O posted:

No, definitely not Secret Origins. Secret Origins is bad.

You do not care for it? I enjoyed it more than "Man of Steel" and "Birthright".

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Personally the story that introduced me into looking at Superman comics more was "Superman: Secret Identity." Really fantastic story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man of Steel and Birthright are far, far, far superior to Secret Origin. Birthright is probably one of the best Superman books period. For All Seasons is really good too.

lotus circle posted:

Personally the story that introduced me into looking at Superman comics more was "Superman: Secret Identity." Really fantastic story.

That is a great book, but for different reasons of course.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Sadly out of print but It's a Bird is one of the best Superman stories too, which is quite amazing because it doesn't have Superman in it.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

When you say 'Man of Steel' are you talking about the John Byrne miniseries from right after Crisis?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

lotus circle posted:

It's delightful, and I can't recommend it highly enough.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Travis343 posted:

When you say 'Man of Steel' are you talking about the John Byrne miniseries from right after Crisis?

I assume so. For it's time MoS was pretty wonderful.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Between rear end and Batgirl of Burnside, I think you have a problem with sifting through hyperbole, Toxx. Which is fair, this happens to basically everyone. A story with as much acclaim as rear end isn't going to live up to anyone's standard if all they know of it is lots of people think it's one of the best Superman comics ever. I still maintain that it is. I'd probably argue it's his best if I read more Superman and felt comfortable making that argument. I'm gonna say something I may have to apologize for, but I don't mind the marginalization of Lois in the story. Just like I don't mind any other superheroes showing up or very many iconic Superman villains or anyone else. It's about Superman. And not in a "He's the main character, dumbass" way. I mean it's about who he is and what he means. To us, not to the characters in the comic. I dunno, I'd call it the definitive take on modern Superman.

I'll give you the Bizarro stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I assume so. For it's time MoS was pretty wonderful.

I still love the last splash page of the sixth issue. I'm well aware it goes hand-in-hand with Byrne's whole "Superman is an American" thing which I understand a lot of people don't like, but I love that last line he has where he says, "Krypton made me Superman, but it's Earth that makes me human."

But I like Post-Crisis Superman in general.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

When N52 Superman died, bits of some life essence shot out of him into N52 Lois and Lana, and two others flew off out of frame. N52 Lois and Lana are going to star in the upcoming Superwoman series.

That's a weird way of getting Lois and Lana preggers

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ed: wrong thread

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

lotus circle posted:

Me too, but mostly it just made me read more Busiek. "In Dreams" is one of my definitive Superman stories.

Astro City doesn't get recommended here enough.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked Rebirth as a whole (though I didn't realize it was essentially a flash story at first). Superman and Batman are pretty neat so far along with the Rebirth issues. I really liked the whole Batman saving a wounded Jetliner. It was neat watching him try and save it despite, having no powers (yes I know this isn't new by a country mile, but I always like it). I guess my only complaint is after coming off of Secret Wars it just seemed kind of almost not a big deal. That's not anyone's fault at DC, just my own internal bias (even though SW was essentially a small character shuffle). Stil at $2.99 it makes me a lot more willing to try things.

Poor Goldie though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
It's a Flash story only because every major universe shakeup uses the speed force as a macguffin.