Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

AAPsel posted:

a website that is an odd mixture of SA style satire and right wing "news". They usually stick to trolling online polls.

Waiting for lowtax to endorse Trump ironically, only to push him over 50%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

AAPsel posted:

Considering our pm still refuses to use the words Russia and MH17 in the same sentence we don't need any help on that front. Mostly people don't give a poo poo about Russia or its slapfight with its little brother and just want to stick it to the EU and their own government. Ukraine being a corrupt war-torn shithole made it an easy target to vote no on.

Well there's a pretty specific reason that it's war-torn now.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/JSaryuszWolski/status/749702231444819968

This should be fun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So Russia is providing the NATO with an argument for its strengthening and for integrating Russia's neighbors, conveniently just ahead of a major summit? That's very kind.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

steinrokkan posted:

So Russia is providing the NATO with an argument for its strengthening and for integrating Russia's neighbors, conveniently just ahead of a major summit? That's very kind.

Strong Heterosexual Man Putin gets to look tough against foreign enemy who hates Mother Russia no matter what.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Russia actively pursues the foreign policy you'd expect of a small child.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

And it looks like the problem was already fixed.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/pgnig-gazprom-supplies-idUKL8N19O0AO

Gazprom has no official comment as to why Warsaw's gas was being cut, but it's back up to normal now.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The last time this happened (like two years ago?) it was total scaremongering bullshit over standard day-to-day gently caress ups, though up by some hacks with no knowledge of gas transmission that got hard because :tinfoil:PUTIN:tinfoil:. I wouldn't give it much thought until it's like complete shut-off, or lasts for a week or so.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I also recall before that, Belarus and Russia got into a price war and as Russia began to close off the pipes into Belarus, Belarus started shutting off the supply to Lithuania and Poland. A 20% drop is significant enough to be concerned.

Lithuanian folk dancing festival.

https://www.facebook.com/sanuzis/videos/10157114317210191/

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I actually looked up the 2014 case, because I vaguely remembered it being entertainingly dumb, and I was not disappointed.

PGNiG (state oil & gas company) sent out a number of announcements that 45% of their daily demand is unfulfilled and a bunch of newspapers lost their poo poo about it. What actually happened was, the gas flowed at the usual rates, while PGNiG increased their order by said 45% and it took Gazprom a few days to adjust. :downs:

The thursday/friday flows of this week actually dropped by mere 8%, so I wouldn't be surprised if this was another case of dumb wording and scaremongering. 8% disruption of gas supply for 18 hours really isn't a newsworthy occurence.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
How many European countries get their gas supply directly from Russia?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

never trust an elf posted:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

steinrokkan posted:

Not exactly. NATO isn't going to go to war with Russia over gas being cut off, and NATO doesn't supply anyone gas and doesn't have any members that could replace Russia as Poland's gas supplier.

Granted it does remind these countries "Russia's a dick and your gas supply from them depends entirely on Putin's mood", but unless NATO has any solutions for getting these countries off of gas or finding them a new supplier, NATO can't do much.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There's one NATO country that has recently begun exporting a lot of LNG.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nato and europe in general should do a massive rollout of nuclear power and switching over to electric and waste-heat (from the reactors, which will be conveniently located within cities!) hot water systems to both hit their climate change targets and to be able to tell russia to gently caress off with their lovely gas.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

Nato and europe in general should do a massive rollout of nuclear power and switching over to electric and waste-heat (from the reactors, which will be conveniently located within cities!) hot water systems to both hit their climate change targets and to be able to tell russia to gently caress off with their lovely gas.
IIRC, political issues aside, there's kind of practical limit to how fast you can do this due to bottle necks in the production of reactor vessels. Though I'm thinking that's not the only bottle neck, if you want them to be safe. At this point, wind and solar are starting to mature to the point you could just use those plus heat pumps to take care of our power and heating needs anyway.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

IIRC, political issues aside, there's kind of practical limit to how fast you can do this due to bottle necks in the production of reactor vessels. Though I'm thinking that's not the only bottle neck, if you want them to be safe. At this point, wind and solar are starting to mature to the point you could just use those plus heat pumps to take care of our power and heating needs anyway.

Yeah that's working really great for germany.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah that's working really great for germany.
Well, Germany started the roll out of solar back when it was significantly more expensive, and it hasn't truly treated the subject seriously enough, more like a handout to the upper middle class. Obviously they shouldn't have turned off their nuclear power, but solar and wind could be the backbone of a pan-European strategic effort to become energy independent, though nuclear power probably also has a place. Especially already existing nuclear power.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah the absolute cratering of solar power prices is one of the great unreported stories of the last few years

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Germany has started to give up on becoming all renewable anytime soon, and is now aiming for more coal.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Germany's green energy:

gently caress you, planet

You're next, you stupid little town

Good thing it renounced dirty nuclear power! The environment is all the better for it.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

never trust an elf posted:

The pipes go all the way to France, but not everyone is equally reliant on the Russian supplies. Like, for France a shut-off of 15% of their gas supplies would be a mild inconvenience of having to form some new trade deal while the stored gas reserves slowly peter out, while the Baltic States are 100% reliant on Russia, except for the new LNG terminal in Klaipeda, which is more of a negotiation tool anyway (They semi-recently renegotiated the volume of deliveries from Statoil down, due to terrible economics given prolonged slump in gas prices and the only actual gas storage infrastructure in the region - located in Latvia - is co-owned by Gazprom itself, with legally enforced monopoly until 2017).

quote:

Rollouts and Energiewende

As much as retarded post-Fukushima German-tsunami fearing rollback is dumb and terrible and contributing to renewables being unable to catch up with demand, it is the choice of wind and solar that is driving the current shameful return to coal. Basically, the hosed up thing about electricity market is the current inability to store energy at the industrial/national* scale, leading to (somewhat predictable) swings of frying your neighbor's power grid and being stuck with deficiencies*. This leads to the need of appointing so-called load following power plants, that heat up and down across the day to make up for these inconsistencies. This is generally less efficient than heating the plant up once and keeping at it, which combined with the fact renewables - for all the hype for (legit impressive and exciting) efficiency gains year on year - are still chosen for political**, rather than economical reasons, leads to going for the cheap thing. German case is extra hosed, because the strong push to boost renewable energy development made fossil fuel plants are kinda legit uncompetitive economically (especially the load following ones), and yet have to be kept to sustain the system (both for peak balancing and general catching up with demand), making them this burdensome red-headed stepchild. E.On, a major energy utility, actually spun off it's fossil fuel facilities into a separate company they're now looking to dump on some unsuspecting fools.

Also, AFAIR, the Germans are, ironically enough, leaning on lignite, that is some shittiest, dirtiest cheap-rear end coal there is.

* From the :poland: perspective, Austrians are particular assholes about these swings.
** Before anyone gets angry, in this context I treat climate change consideration as political matters.

AMA European Energy, Oil & Gas

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 4, 2016

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Cat Mattress posted:

Germany's green energy:

gently caress you, planet

You're next, you stupid little town

Good thing it renounced dirty nuclear power! The environment is all the better for it.

Is there a good full article anywhere detailing Germany's troubles in getting off nuclear?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Lichtenstein posted:

What are the odds of reducing Poland's dependence on coal in the next decade, two, and five? Shale gas went bust, the nuclear project hasn't even started to build anything yet as far as I know, and the LNG terminal in Swinoujscie is apparently so uncertain at this point it hasn't even appeared on the map a few posts up as prospective.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Skeesix posted:

Is there a good full article anywhere detailing Germany's troubles in getting off nuclear?

Don't even need an article, just...

:v:

On a more serious note
http://qz.com/680661/germany-had-so-much-renewable-energy-on-sunday-that-it-had-to-pay-people-to-use-electricity/
This is becoming a huge issue there. The grid can't really handle the unpredictability of solar/wind. I have no idea if it will ever be able to. People dream about pumped storage hydro, but that stuff is extremely expensive for what is a glorified battery (though still orders of magnitude cheaper) that destroys even more environment and has about as much chances of being approved as nukular these days.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Lichtenstein posted:

The pipes go all the way to France, but not everyone is equally reliant on the Russian supplies. Like, for France a shut-off of 15% of their gas supplies would be a mild inconvenience of having to form some new trade deal while the stored gas reserves slowly peter out, while the Baltic States are 100% reliant on Russia, except for the new LNG terminal in Klaipeda, which is more of a negotiation tool anyway (They semi-recently renegotiated the volume of deliveries from Statoil down, due to terrible economics given prolonged slump in gas prices and the only actual gas storage infrastructure in the region - located in Latvia - is co-owned by Gazprom itself, with legally enforced monopoly until 2017).

The LNG terminal in Klaipeda is pretty big, is there a chance it could supply the Baltic countries and part of Poland as an alternative to Russian pipeline gas?

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:
It is waiting for the first proper large scale battery. Solar and wind are pretty good of itself, but not without storage.

As you can probally imagine, most solar energy is produced during the day while most energy is consumed in the evening (I am talking about consumers).

For large industry and probally transport we will probally need a large plant -like system to keep it running. But I think the first suburbs will be producing their own energy (using smartgrids to sell and trade it too neighbours for example) within 20 years.

For industry and transport it will probally be gen4 nuclear powerplants, but I am hoping for fusion.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I rather suspect there'd already be an explosive accident or a terrorist attack if it did.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thatim posted:

It is waiting for the first proper large scale battery. Solar and wind are pretty good of itself, but not without storage.

The best storage is in hydroelectric dams, but there are relatively few of them since they require specific geographic conditions -- you can burn coal anywhere, but you'll need mountains to build a dam. The largest pumped storage power plant in Europe is in France, with just 1800 MW. Based on this, pumped storage hydroelectricity represents just about 1% of total electricity production in Europe.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Tevery Best posted:

What are the odds of reducing Poland's dependence on coal in the next decade, two, and five? Shale gas went bust, the nuclear project hasn't even started to build anything yet as far as I know, and the LNG terminal in Swinoujscie is apparently so uncertain at this point it hasn't even appeared on the map a few posts up as prospective.

It's fully dependent on
A) Members of PiS being summarily executed.
B) EU grilling our asses over it real hard.

Seriously though: domestic coal industry will be a terrible bubble burst in coming years, while the alternatives are bogged down in issues on their own.

Polish coal has been artificially propped for years for political reasons - basically, if you go Thatcher on miners you've got the whole of Silesia unemployed and angry at you, which is deemed political suicide, while at the same time nobody really formulated a decent plan to create new jobs once the coal industry inevitably dies off. Even the good guys Razem are kinda iffy on the matter, as they both want to push for green energy (it's a lefty thing to do), while also feeling obliged to stand by the miners due to being pro-unions/workers (it's a lefty thing to do) and having Silesia one of their most supportive regions. Even they are a bit schizophrenic about it, though it bears mentioning they actually are talking about trying to establish alternatives for the populace (if, afair, being fairly vague about it so far).

Now, economically speaking, Polish coal is in a terrible situation. The industry is infamously mismanaged, corrupt and mostly operating at loss, with the 2015 restructuting plan of Kompania Węglowa (largest coal company in Europe) being literally carving it into pieces and forcing onto state power utilities so they can cover them with profits from their other segments. Remember when I said operating at loss? Only 3 of their 15 mines sell above production costs.

Now, this isn't all due to industry itself being terrible - right now, it's a bad moment for coal worldwide, with prices low due to market reasons, and slowly-but-surely tightening climate change-related regulation actually starting to prompt divestment from coal. It's plain hard to sell coal, especially given the fact Poland has no qualms to buy even cheaper lovely lignite from Ukraine/Russia over domestic bitumen.

There's also the matter of spending a lot of cash to replace existing coal-oriented infrastructure with something new, including world's second largest coal-powered plant in Bełchatów.

Finally, there's the issue of PiS being fond of supporting coal, as a mixture of targeting the working class, having a hard-on for everything domestic, and generally giving no fucks about climate change and environment.

Now, the problem is, there's really no-one taking steps to get this poo poo in check, and it is clear a failure is inevitable. Not only is public support for mines that bleed money a loving bubble waiting to burst, but also we're simply starting to run out of resources. Eventually, the production will decline to levels where there's nothing to Potemkin up.

Now, as for the current state of alternatives:
- Shale gas is loving dead and forgotten and buried.
- Our supposed nuclear power plant still doesn't even have it's location chosen, with the latest presented deadline being end of 2017? I think they're still having trouble finding an investor.
- Domestic non-shale oil and gas resources are actually being developed quite decently, but we're no Saudi Arabia to really lean on that.
- Renewable energy development, as was the case in most of Eastern Europe, was a result of being forcibly dragged by the EU under threat of sanctions, notoriously late with reaching milestones and not willing to lift a finger above what's absolutely necessary. It should be telling, that our most successful and developed type of RES is co-firing of biomass with coal, which - just like it sounds - is complete bullshit meant to greenwash our continued coal use to fake renewables so that Merkel stops bothering us about this climate thing. Developers across all renewable energy segments are sitting twiddling their thumbs, waiting for the long-promised feed-in tariff auction for renewables that went MIA. Nobody's keen to invest having no idea what support to expect, and it's doubly not looking good, as PiS is seen to greatly favor coal over renewables. In May, a particularly controversial law was passed, greatly limiting legal locations for wind turbines, seen somewhat as an industry killer. It's strict enough so that any further expansion is pretty much limited to offshore instalations on the Baltic (which is naturally more expensive). I'm not sure whether turbines that are no longer placed legally under the new law are to be torn down or left as is.
- The LNG terminal was a bit of a clusterfuck do far, but is probably the most prospective idea we've devloped so far. The construction was politically motivated (as a Klaipeda-style negotiation tool/failsafe against Russians and a general feelgood project) and led to signing a contract with Qatar so (most probably) unfavorable, the operator refused to disclose how much we're actually paying for it. And then the construction ran late, forcing us to pay for contracted deliveries we had no way of receiving. Having said that, it is finished and it works and it has decent capacity. There's still a bunch of pipes to be built to properly integrate it with domestic transmission system - and foreign ones, as we have plans of stealing Klaipeda's thunder in establishing a regional LNG trading hub. Whether those ambitions will work out is difficult to state right now - the focus LNG trade is a hip idea across Europe, but it's still a fairly early idea that runs headfirst into current prolonged oil price slump, making fancy investments impractical economically.

Also, it bears mentioning LNG trade does not necessarily mean breaking trade with Russia, rather just a possibility of doing so - for what LNG market there is already in Poland ("small LNG", primarily gas-fueled automotive transport), everyone screwed the Amsterdam hub and simply sent out trucks to Kaliningrad. Unless something changed since September 2015 when I had a chance to speak with some traders, Kalingrad can easily out-price our terminal (I don't really understand/remember the details, but the gist was using internal Russian prices). And as Europe keeps building LNG terminals, so Gazprom expands its liquefying capacity in Kaliningrad and Petersburg. So we'll see whether we'll trade western gas, or keep buying Russian with perhaps better position to bargain.

TL;DR We'll keep status quo until domestic coal industry implodes, and then we'll start scrambling to fix it in whatever way is cheapest.

Somaen posted:

The LNG terminal in Klaipeda is pretty big, is there a chance it could supply the Baltic countries and part of Poland as an alternative to Russian pipeline gas?

The biggest deal with Klaipeda terminal is that it's the literally only source other than Russian pipelines there is for these countries. Lithuania has a big first move advantage (over Świnoujście and other potential wannabees) and is pushing for LNG fairly hard, what with investing in transport LNG infrastructure, or handing out tariff exemptions and poo poo. Terminal's capacity theoretically covers some 80% of overall demand in the Baltic states and Litgas is already making decent sales to Estonia, with Latvia being a bit of a tricky case. I remember Estonia mulling construction of their own LNG terminal (presumably for dickwaving purposes), but I don't think the idea really went forward.

The problems are twofold:
- As I've mentioned before, the only gas storage infrastructure in the region lies in Latvia, operated by Latvijas Gāze, whose biggest shareholder is Gazprom at 34%. That's a glaring weakness Gazprom could use to gently caress the Latvians over - they're already using their position as sole transmission operator and seller to avoid buying Lithuanian's LNG*. Then again, in April 2017 their sales monopoly (a relic of 1997 privatization agreement) will expire and both the government and EU are keen to get this poo poo interconnected, so there's a fair chance this will shake out nicely.
- The gas prices are still really loving low right now, and so buying LNG is a bit of a frivolity. The terminal allowed Lithuania to pressure Gazprom into a 20% discount and everyone was satisfied enough with it, the contract with Statoil had to be changed to buy less gas, as was suddenly too expensive. This is really loving up investment in anything that could be defined as a new source of gas - be it production, pipelines or LNG infrastructure, and so is a bit of a waiting game. It's a factor that makes it really hard to give a decent prediction for the future of the market.

Personally, I think Klaipeda has a good chance of being a success story, even if there's still quite a road ahead of it. Really, even if Baltic States keep buying Russian gas 'till the end of time, the terminal's mere existence is a big loving deal.

* Since this might be unclear to some concerned locals: Litgas has an agreement for gas transit through Latvia - to Estonia, basically - but Latvijas Gaze is going "we Latvians get our gas from Gazprom just fine, no need to buy from you dudes".

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Cat Mattress posted:

The best storage is in hydroelectric dams, but there are relatively few of them since they require specific geographic conditions -- you can burn coal anywhere, but you'll need mountains to build a dam. The largest pumped storage power plant in Europe is in France, with just 1800 MW. Based on this, pumped storage hydroelectricity represents just about 1% of total electricity production in Europe.

Yea, there is nothing good as of yet.

It will probally be some sort of hydrogen battery. Only large.

But chemistry isnt my field, so I cant tell much about that.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Truga posted:

Don't even need an article, just...

:v:

On a more serious note
http://qz.com/680661/germany-had-so-much-renewable-energy-on-sunday-that-it-had-to-pay-people-to-use-electricity/
This is becoming a huge issue there. The grid can't really handle the unpredictability of solar/wind. I have no idea if it will ever be able to. People dream about pumped storage hydro, but that stuff is extremely expensive for what is a glorified battery (though still orders of magnitude cheaper) that destroys even more environment and has about as much chances of being approved as nukular these days.

This is becoming a huge issue in the western us as well. People who go on and on about renewables have apparently never googled baseline power. Also wind / solar kill far more people than nuclear, it's weird we keep trying to reinvent the wheel when we have an incredibly safe, clean, and proven product ready to go. But then again as we saw in germany people are stupid and their leaders even dumber.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People muckraking photovoltaics and wind turbines in hopes of making nuclear plants more popular are only achieving one thing - making coal the predominant power source for a little bit longer. Nuclear has lost the popular discourse, and there's little you can do about it short of deciding to abandon democracy.

Anyway, photovoltaics are actually good, and the prospects even for a supposedly suboptimal country such as Germany are very good, as explained in this exhaustive study that is formatted as a sort of a FAQ run-down of common talking points: https://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/en/pu...-in-germany.pdf

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

People muckraking photovoltaics and wind turbines in hopes of making nuclear plants more popular are only achieving one thing - making coal the predominant power source for a little bit longer. Nuclear has lost the popular discourse, and there's little you can do about it short of deciding to abandon democracy.

Anyway, photovoltaics are actually good, and the prospects even for a supposedly suboptimal country such as Germany are very good, as explained in this exhaustive study that is formatted as a sort of a FAQ run-down of common talking points: https://www.ise.fraunhofer.de/en/pu...-in-germany.pdf

All your whining about how mean nuclear people are isn't going to make the several dozen terawatthours of energy storage needed for a majority solar/wind contintal electricity grid appear, you know.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
All your whining is not going to reverse public policy, fishmech. But keep tilting at windmills instead of trying to come up with a realistic agenda.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, this is a really easy sell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is probably better off in the energy thread. But I'd say an ignorance/political obstacle is probably easier to overcome than a technological obstacle with no answer in sight. Solar could be free, but without a way to cheaply and reliably store the energy they're never going to be useful for base load, just a supplement. Put all the money spend on "green energy" subsidies into nuclear PR to the public and maybe have a shot at saving the planet. Or go feel-good solar and wind and burn coal to power everything other than happy green feelings.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

steinrokkan posted:

All your whining is not going to reverse public policy, fishmech. But keep tilting at windmills instead of trying to come up with a realistic agenda.

Yes dear, we understand that the Germans are dumb enough to be convinced that coal is a good idea.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/UKRINFORM/status/750095668400840704

http://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-abroad/2044825-dzemilev-zustrinetsa-u-varsavi-z-dudou.html

quote:

The leader of the Crimean Tatar people Mustafa Dzhemilev Wednesday, July 6, will meet with Polish President Andrzej Duda.

This informs the Office of the President of Poland

"6 July at 14 am (15 am Kiev time - Ed.) In Belvedere Polish President will visit courtesy of the head of the World Congress of Crimean Tatars and Member of Parliament Mustafa Dzhemilev," - said in a statement.

As UKRINFORM reported sources close to Dzhemilev, leader of the Crimean Tatar people visit to Warsaw last few days. He will also participate in the NATO summit to be held July 8-9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
:tinfoil: Poland is reviving the Międzymorze. :tinfoil: