Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Say Nothing posted:

It also turned the oceans into Fanta.

That last panel is how the JLA defeated Mageddon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've been listening to older episodes of the Fantasticast podcast, and they had a lot of fun with the Strange Tales Torch strips. One point they make about them, which I think is fair enough, is that a good Human Torch story is a good Fantastic Four story more often than not (and most of the best Torch solo strips were the ones which also featured Reed, Sue and Ben in supporting roles, and the Torch feature became a Ben/Johnny double-act in its last few months), so there isn't really much point in trying to push them as solo Torch stories, because Johnny didn't work as another Spider-Man, which is what they wanted.

It's weird. Johnny has the most accessible "cool" powers and is usually little kids' favorite FF because of it, but his personality has been awful from day one. He's like Flash Thompson but with even less layers. It's very strange considering how everyone around him in early marvel, even the embarrassingly-written women, had all this pathos and these obvious emotional hooks. But he's just "I like cars and ladies! Flame on! Ha cha cha!"

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

Well, now we know what Cody Rhodes's role next season of Arrow.

Yeah, he definitely threw a shitfit over being stuck playing Stardust in a bad tv show so he could go and play Stardust in a bad tv show.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like early Johnny precisely because he doesn't have any pathos. His storyline where kids started burning themselves to death only worked because he hadn't spent decades moaning about the frightening probability he might flame on when special hugging someone and that's why he can't let anyone get close to him.

He's supposed to be The Thing's counterweight, which is why almost everytime Ben gets mopey the scene ends in Johnny pranking him.

[Fantastic Four #10]

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jul 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

But he's so stupid and shallow, he doesn't come across as the lovable jester of the team, he's just the dickhead who bullies the guy everyone actually likes and then goes out to gently caress supermodels. He's a villain in an 80s sports comedy.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

he's just the dickhead who bullies the guy everyone actually likes
Yeah but he's always made to apologise.

[Spider-man/Fantastic Four #1]

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Evil Mastermind posted:

He tried to kill all the heads of state of the world, or something.

They tried to take over the USA, via using several 'oxygen-destroying rays' to hit everyone in any position of power. Thee text calls out 'The President', 'congress leaders and cabinet members', 'publishers of newspapers and magazines', 'members of the FBI, the secret service and the military intelligence', big bankers', 'industrial leaders', 'doctors', and 'army and navy officers and enlisted men'. It was enough to cause rioting across the country. The President lives for certain, but it's unclear how much damage has been done across the country. The text says he's 'one of the thousands to regain a normal state of health'.

There's two collections of Fletcher Hanks work: "I shall destroy all the civilized planets!" and "You shall die by your own evil creation!" Whether they've been collected into a super-book, I don't know.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jul 4, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah but he's always made to apologise.

[Spider-man/Fantastic Four #1]

"Tonight on WLAT News At 10, your weekend weather forecast, and a clip of Johnny Storm saying sorry... again."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

They are really worth it. I think my favourite part is that most of the time Stardust doesn't even prevent the crimes/genocide - he just punishes people after the fact and sometimes remembers to use his powers to reverse them.
There's like one or two stories where it pays lip service to "Oh yeah Stardust was somewhere far away and is taking time to get there" but 90% of the time it's just Stardust not showing up until later so he has something to punish. I think they might not be in the collections though.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Say Nothing posted:

Oh no! That's over 500 million people!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah the rest were asleep or indoors

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Maybe it's set in the 1500s?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Zereth posted:

There's like one or two stories where it pays lip service to "Oh yeah Stardust was somewhere far away and is taking time to get there" but 90% of the time it's just Stardust not showing up until later so he has something to punish. I think they might not be in the collections though.
I cracked open I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets again and there's a Phantomah story there where she just looks down and says "Diamond mine robbers!", uses telepathy to find out they're going to enslave a village to rob the diamond mine, then just kind of hangs around watching them murder half the village, enslave the rest into a sophisticated slave mining operation with anti-air guns, then shoot down several planes before coming down and saying "wow drawing four villains is really tiring you're now one guy".

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Ghostlight posted:

I cracked open I Shall Destroy All The Civilized Planets again and there's a Phantomah story there where she just looks down and says "Diamond mine robbers!", uses telepathy to find out they're going to enslave a village to rob the diamond mine, then just kind of hangs around watching them murder half the village, enslave the rest into a sophisticated slave mining operation with anti-air guns, then shoot down several planes before coming down and saying "wow drawing four villains is really tiring you're now one guy".

You can't just meld four guys into one for being suspected of human trafficking, you need to do a proper investigation first. That's the difference between justice and vigilantism.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Evil Mastermind posted:

He tried to kill all the heads of state of the world, or something.

"You tried to destroy the heads of a great nation, so now your own head shall be destroyed!"

GPTribefan posted:

So many panels from that run could be posted here... The insanely awful art when it became a Ben/Johnny book (Dick Ayers on pencils??) the incredibly lame villains the Torch faced (William Van Vile? The Acrobat? Paste Pot Pete? ), the Thing in a Beatles wig....Strange Tales might have been the worst book early Marvel published.

Don't forget the Wizard, who was a really naff character in Strange Tales. He became good in FF but before that he was a creepy-looking guy with pubes growing on his chin.

The Beetle, too, became much better as a Spider-Man villain (better still when they got to Thunderbolts, though that was obviously 30 years later).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Say Nothing posted:

Gravity does not work that way! :argh:

Though it still would be bad if the Earth stopped spinning.
http://image.gsfc.nasa.gov/poetry/ask/q1168.html

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stardust is The Spectre without a moral compass

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Uthor posted:

Gravity does not work that way! :argh:
That is like, one of the least wrong science things to show up in a Stardust story. :pseudo:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which was the one where the bad guy is a Yellow Peril caricature called "Slant-Eye"?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Obviously this blue area here is the land.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
The final fate of De Structo

Also important to note: He maintains that grimace through the entire comic.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

"wow drawing four villains is really tiring you're now one guy".
That's honestly one of my favorite things in both books. Even in a cavalcade of fever-induced nightmare insanity that just stands out.

e:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 4, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Taken from this article about Batman appearances in all 50 US states: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2015/07/04/knowledge-waits-batman-travels-to-each-state-in-the-united-states/

Batman #432

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Phy posted:

So what did the giant headhunter do to deserve Stardust faking giving him a head like that?

Just give the poor guy a head and don't force it to be absorbed into his body, Stardust.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This would make a really badass scene for Daredevil season 3.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Phy posted:

Also important to note: He maintains that grimace through the entire comic.

Now it's immortalized forever as a statue

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that giant isn't very huge at all!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Serious Frolicking posted:

that giant isn't very huge at all!

The Giants are a race of mockingly named humanoids, who usually only grow 2 feet tall. That one is the largest of them, by far .

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Skwirl posted:

Paste Pot Pete was a legitimate villain for a good chunk of the initial Lee/Kirby run, mostly as part of the Frightful Four which included Medusa (yes, Black Bolt's wife, well ex-wife at this point, I think she's dating Johnny Storm right now if you want to bring this full circle). Don't joke about Paste Pot Pete, he'll seal up your mouth and nose holes and watch you suffocate.

Basically if Spider-Man's webs have any effect on the Human Torch, then Paste Pot Pete is also a legitimate threat.

Once he became the Trapster and got a legit costume he became a decent villain. But don't fool yourself into thinking he had a great beginning - he had a weird look and literally carries around an open bucket of glue with a pump gun. He was a true joke until he met up with the Wizard.

And I still think the original Beetle costume was pretty cool...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So at first I was thinking "What happened to the giant's shirt?"

This was quickly rectified. Clearly he had to take it off, or it would be in the way of the head! What does a headless giant need with a neck hole in their shirt? :pseudo:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My favorite part of Stardust is that the way he's drawn flying makes him look embarrassed to be in his own comic.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
It'd be great if De Structo's head wasn't absorbed and he was like "whoa thanks for the incredibly powerful giant bod" and best the poo poo out of Stardust.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

My favorite part about the Beetle's origin is that he tries to throw hot soup on the Thing and Johnny takes away all the heat so he won't get scalded

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

GPTribefan posted:

Once he became the Trapster and got a legit costume he became a decent villain.

Didn't stop Deadpool from making him bite off the tip of his own tongue.

Then feeding it to Batroc.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Didn't stop Deadpool from making him bite off the tip of his own tongue.

Then feeding it to Batroc.

Then again, Punisher can shoot the nuts off Wolverine. So with the right top billing, anything is possible!

Quick, Trapster, push for your own miniseries! It's your only hope. Maybe bank on 90s nostalgia with a Trapper Keeper gimmick.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

My favorite part of Stardust is that the way he's drawn flying makes him look embarrassed to be in his own comic.
I love that he's flying in his "Tubular Spacial" basically every time. And what the gently caress that is never gets explained.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

The interesting thing about those Stardust panels is I had seen the De Structo ones before but never that page with the head being absorbed. It always ended with "The giant eagerly awaits" which formed a really grisly end point.

But seeing the next page it's actually somehow even worse and more harrowing.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How much salvia do you think it takes to write your average Stardust the Super Wizard comic?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I always feel like if I read enough Stardust I'm also going to become mentally ill just from trying to figure out the writer's thought processes. Like once I follow him down that path there is no coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Yeah, I really just want to know what the gently caress he was thinking writing that poo poo. Normally "how high do you have to be to write this" is dumb and shows a lack of creativity, but it's crucial in trying to replicate Hanks because you can't just copy that kind of crazy. You have to do the hardest drugs possible and then write a completely rational story, from your perspective.