Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
I've got an odd and rather specific question for my sorcerer. I've been using the sages ring to reduce my casting time, and my understanding is that it gives you effectively 30 Dex but only for casting speed. What level does the benefit for Dex plus sage ring hit the soft/sharper/hard cap? Is there a cap? Most places seem to say 40/60/99 but I can't tell if casting time is included in that. One wiki says 50 is the cap, but that doesn't seem to make sense and no where else seems to say that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If he can get through fog walls then I want to see someone beat pontiff and aldrich at the same time

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I was ruminating on the nature of the Deep and came upon a thought. What if it's not quite like the Abyss, Humanity/Dark Soul "running wild", but like Chaos it's one of the other Lord Souls "running wild". Specifically the Deep is the Gravelord's Great Soul "running wild". It explains it being associated with Dark damage, as the Gravelord Miracles did dark damage after all, and why Aldrich is very similar to Nito in design.

In fact this led me to another thought. Each of the Lord Souls is of a different nature. Gwyn had Light, the Witch had Life which becomes Chaos, Nito had Death which becomes Deep and the Pygmy had Dark which becomes Abyss. Finaly a fifth was not found but made, Seathe creates the soul of Magic which becomes Crystal when it "runs wild". So here's the final thought, what if the Divine Pillars of Light are a form of magic created by Light "running wild" and producing beings of light, or angels.

Human Dregs aren't just Humanity, it's dying Humanity which is why it sinks to the lowest depths, like previous Death based bosses. Black Gulch might be another variation of the Great Soul of Death being allowed to "run wild".

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jonked posted:

I've got an odd and rather specific question for my sorcerer. I've been using the sages ring to reduce my casting time, and my understanding is that it gives you effectively 30 Dex but only for casting speed. What level does the benefit for Dex plus sage ring hit the soft/sharper/hard cap? Is there a cap? Most places seem to say 40/60/99 but I can't tell if casting time is included in that. One wiki says 50 is the cap, but that doesn't seem to make sense and no where else seems to say that...

Simple answer, the ring will basically get almost every character up toward max cast speed, and the +1 version definitely will. +2 I believe is complete overkill.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Jonked posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WOTfCc05E is a good look at spell casting speeds. In summary the basic ring will get you to about the cap on it's own without much dex. An update in the description mentions 15+sage ring gets you the cap right there

Garrand fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jul 3, 2016

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005
Excellent, I appreciate the straight answer. Looks like my 20 dex is perfectly fine, so I'll go back to leveling Int for a bit.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Farron's Undead Legion is still my favourite boss fight, and I am very angry I can never seem to make their boss weapon work for me. Something feels off about its timing and stamina usage.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

poptart_fairy posted:

Farron's Undead Legion is still my favourite boss fight, and I am very angry I can never seem to make their boss weapon work for me. Something feels off about its timing and stamina usage.

Yes, and I fought someone using it like 5 times the other day and they completely stomped me with it every time.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
I wish you could touch the placed lord embers to replay the boss fights.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

...! posted:

Someone figured out a (very convoluted) glitch that lets you kite Pontiff Sulyvahn out of his room and into the dueling courtyard in the next area. Pop a seed and give those Aldrich Faithful the shock of their lives!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqHJLy4Le50

Someone did this with dragon slayer armor when I invaded in lothric.

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
I've gotten bored with ny duel wielding quality build and now that I'm in ng+ I'm thinking about trying something new, like an int/Dex build, or maybe even trying a heavy are build (I haven't used shields or large weapons since undead burge in ds1).

What have your experiences with magic been like so far? I'm looking for some fun build ideas. I probably won't be doing much PvP for awhile if that matters, and unfortunately I used up all my titanite slabs on fuel wielding weapons, although I did also max my pyro and one staff (can't recall which one... crystal sorcerer staff maybe?)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

poptart_fairy posted:

You can't just spam the spin moves, and if you don't lock on and keep your camera level (not pointed at the floor as tends to happen with lock on or when you are trying to follow someone), you can do a lot more damage to multiple phantoms and sometimes just for damage to a single person it's better ime. In general unlocked is better, locked on is good for turtles I guess. You have to alternate between the slow heavy moves and the fast Artorias bushido to make sure people don't get a lock on your rhythm. You also CAN parry estocs and dark swords with the parry move, but you basically have to spam it and hope it connects which is not too great against either of those, but especially Dark Sword.

I have a lot of fun invading in the Catacombs with Abyss Watcher cosplay, the only completely unfun ones are the guys that won't leave the starting area even though they have phantoms.

I don't know if they've nerfed dark sword or estoc since I last played. But the Farron slamsword is the only melee weapon I really like, it has a lot of possibilities. I wish it did more damage.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Zebrasectomy posted:

I've gotten bored with ny duel wielding quality build and now that I'm in ng+ I'm thinking about trying something new, like an int/Dex build, or maybe even trying a heavy are build (I haven't used shields or large weapons since undead burge in ds1).

What have your experiences with magic been like so far? I'm looking for some fun build ideas. I probably won't be doing much PvP for awhile if that matters, and unfortunately I used up all my titanite slabs on fuel wielding weapons, although I did also max my pyro and one staff (can't recall which one... crystal sorcerer staff maybe?)

Generally it seems like if you want to do magic as a primary means of offense then you should probably just focus on that, rather than int/dex or int/str. Balanced builds or ones that skew towards physical aren't going to have a lot of luck with offensive spells. On my NG run of DS3 I ran an int/dex build using a rapier, buckler/dagger, and cmw. Only offensive spell I used was great soul arrow and that was basically just an alternative to my bow for ranged enemies. You really have to spec for offensive spells which, while definitely limiting, could be seen as a means of preventing people from being good at everything with a single character.

For strength weapons, though, you could just forgo shields in favor of two handing weapons almost exclusively. They already try to encourage that in DS3 with weapon arts and some of the two hands have pretty exploitable arts. Also, it's easy enough to roll your way through fights with minimal to no blocking. I mean even with a quality build I ran in NG+, which used shield/broadsword, I spent more time rolling and only blocked occasionally.

Also, I've actually seen people spam the hell out of spin moves in pvp situations and do relatively well. Especially if they have helpers.

Jonked
Feb 15, 2005

Zebrasectomy posted:

It's been pretty fun for me, and there seems to be a range of playstyles. The Farrow spells are all lightning quick but weaker versions, which could be great with a hybrid build, while the old standbys like soul arrow are still around. Timing a soul greatsword or soul stream is tricky but drat satisfying. The only issue is the massive int investment, and I'm not a huge fan of the naturally int-scaling weapons. Pyromancy apparently didn't have this problem but I haven't messed around with it yet.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Buck Turgidson posted:

I wish you could touch the placed lord embers to replay the boss fights.

Yeah, I am not sure what it is with souls games not giving us the ability to do something like that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, I am not sure what it is with souls games not giving us the ability to do something like that.

Maybe Fromsoft thinks that if they give us the ability to refight bosses that we won't be compelled to make new characters?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

TaurusOxford posted:

Maybe Fromsoft thinks that if they give us the ability to refight bosses that we won't be compelled to make new characters?

I guess, but there are more reasons to replay like added difficulty and finishing missed quests.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

I would almost think that incentivizing NG+ runs and allowing respecs would lessen the likelihood of new characters being made. In DS2 and 3 I never really felt compelled to make new characters. Even less so in 3 where you can alter appearances too.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
The Demon's Souls Any % speedrun is up next on SGDQ:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Fire Barrel posted:

I would almost think that incentivizing NG+ runs and allowing respecs would lessen the likelihood of new characters being made. In DS2 and 3 I never really felt compelled to make new characters. Even less so in 3 where you can alter appearances too.

You only get 5 changes to appearance and attributes per playthrough. And if you go into ng+ and beyond you get to make 5 more new changes if you used up all changes already. I've made about 6 different characters based on different styles of play and damage output areas. I've got a strength, dexterity, faith, sorcery, luck, quality, you name it. There are a bunch of reasons to make new characters that I think people should be making more characters all the time in every souls game.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't understand why there aren't Bonfire Ascetics in 3. Other than them basing the entire game on DS1, I mean.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm pretty sure there was some interview where Miyazaki said he didn't like them and wanted the items in NG+ to be an incentive for playing it.

Too bad they didn't build on DS2 and make NG+ actually interesting.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Stokes posted:

Was a fun run. Sorcery is drat powerful in Demon's Souls, I have yet to do a full sorcerer run in DS3 but in DS2 I felt really underpowered in the DLC areas.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

Stokes posted:

I checked the schedule and it looks like nobody's doing DS3, or any dark souls, what gives? I woulda thought DS3's GDQ debut would be a big draw

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Guillermus posted:

Was a fun run. Sorcery is drat powerful in Demon's Souls, I have yet to do a full sorcerer run in DS3 but in DS2 I felt really underpowered in the DLC areas.

From everything I've read, and have experienced myself with my int/dex build, sorcery in DS3 requires a great deal of commitment in terms of both stats and the equipment you use. Otherwise it underperforms in a lot of situations, though I may be overstating it since I mainly used cmw and then a bow for ranged enemies. Just tended to be more efficient.

Also, my favorite spell in Demon Souls was anti-magic field. I tended to roll with faith builds and that always but a damper on magic users. Managed to foil more than a few invaders that weren't expecting to get a knight sword to the face.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

They really nerfed the obscuring ring? Geez that made your chances of winning an invasion go from 1% to 1.5%

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

super fart shooter posted:

I checked the schedule and it looks like nobody's doing DS3, or any dark souls, what gives? I woulda thought DS3's GDQ debut would be a big draw

It came out too late for the secret cabal of game choosers to consider it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

super fart shooter posted:

They generally don't do games that are this new, especially since the scheduling is done a good ways in advance. Id expect to see DS3 at the next GDQ.

And they've already done DS1, DS2 twice I think, and Bloodborne.

eta: And the Bloodborne run was awful because it wasn't All Bosses, and any% Bloodborne is a stupid category.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jul 4, 2016

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

invading is hard in ds3; almost everyone has a phantom or three, all of them chugging estus, and they love to run away until they can summon their friends back if I somehow manage to kill them. It's almost like they don't want me to murder them or something. It is so very gratifying when I manage to somehow beat the gank squad, though, and fighting blue sentinels is fun.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After getting 30 invasions for wolf of farron, I switched from the +2 (for invading in the swamp) raw bandit's axe to the carthus curved sword. Holy gently caress, it's turned the game into easy mode. I haven't done any invasions with it though but drat, everyone is going down hard to me now. this is my second run the game, it's easier than the first so far but once I got the carthus curved sword it's ridiculous. I had it at+4 at first (the equivalent of +2 raw) and now it's levelled to +5, I think that'll be best for invasions, keeping the level low. I'm also avoiding levelling so I'm at 30 right now. I went through the catacombs and the smouldering lake (demon king and wolnir went down first try) and also got to the chapel bonfire in irithyll first try, even with killing all the mobs in between. On my first run I had to just run past everyone.

Str is nice in some ways but a nice faster weapon is better really. The bandit's axe, greataxe and dragonslayer greataxe just don't compare.

edit: currently I'm a blue sentinel. I get hits sporadically. It's ok I suppose.

edit 2: compared to other souls games and even bloodborne, this thread is really not that popular.

redreader fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 4, 2016

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We're too busy playing to post

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something or other about the game made me not really care anymore when it was over. Did a wizard character since that's substantially different than what I did my first time, but after that I just lost the motivation to play it again for now. It's missing something that the other games had and I'm not sure what.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

The sense that it was not an almost-clone of an earlier game?

Dark Souls 1 introduced poise, a different broad setting than Demon's, etc.

Dark Souls 2 had a bunch of new mechanics and new implementations of old mechanics.

Dark Souls 3 basically removed poise as a consideration for most people, added weapon arts, but other than that is basically DS1 2.0 mechanically.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jul 4, 2016

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

That was it

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

carthus curved sword is ridiculous. Now it's levelled to +5, I think that'll be best for invasions, keeping the level low. I'm also avoiding levelling so I'm at 30 right now.

Lol. I'm in Anor londo. I killed the pontiff and walked through the level for about 10 minutes before a silver knight archer shot me off a ledge. No invasions. I didn't even see any red fight club signs or anything. Not a single sign. The place is dead around level 30. Time to level the gently caress up!

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Played the game for a week when it came out, beat it and then forgot about it.

Anything worthwhile happened since then? Any DLCs announced?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gortarius posted:

Played the game for a week when it came out, beat it and then forgot about it.

Anything worthwhile happened since then? Any DLCs announced?

There's going to be either one or two DLCs, conflicting reports about that but most people seem to think one in the fall and one next spring. We know nothing about them yet.

I agree with thread as a whole that I haven't felt a strong urge to replay this one. I'm co-oping through it with a friend but when I'm not doing that, I'm more likely to switch over to Bloodborne and run chalices. I didn't feel a strong urge to replay DS2 either until there was DLC. I think a lot of people are pretty burned out on the series given that it's the fifth game in seven years. And the game has a real sense of finality to it as well. In DeS and DS1 the endings made me want to go back and start over, to see if there was anything I could have done differently. The ending in this game reminds me a lot of the ending of Hotline Miami 2, where at the end no matter what you do it's like the world is completely hosed and the game is pushing you to go the hell outside.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

actionjackson posted:

They really nerfed the obscuring ring? Geez that made your chances of winning an invasion go from 1% to 1.5%

The obscuring ring is a wasted slot in my mind.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

MarshyMcFly posted:

The obscuring ring is a wasted slot in my mind.

I once Aldrich invaded a dude called The White Spider who was hanging out with the obscuring ring and the milk ring, wearing all white and using a bow. I chased him around for a couple of minutes but whenever I found him, he would basically roll away and blend in. Eventually I squatted down on a balcony to wait for him and he sniped me off the ledge. 10/10 obscuring ring usage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

skasion posted:

I once Aldrich invaded a dude called The White Spider who was hanging out with the obscuring ring and the milk ring, wearing all white and using a bow. I chased him around for a couple of minutes but whenever I found him, he would basically roll away and blend in. Eventually I squatted down on a balcony to wait for him and he sniped me off the ledge. 10/10 obscuring ring usage.

Key word: once. Not impressed. Plus why didn't you just leave? You can always just go home if you can't kill host. 10/10 for the black separation crystal. The most OP of pvp items.