Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Jinkeez posted:

This is a good recommendation, also Sleeping Dogs has good similar-style combat.

How could I forget Sleeping Dogs? It is really top notch third person action, and it's one of my favorite open worlds too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

a medical mystery posted:

What are some games with satisfying trap mechanics? I loved that in Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls you could get annihilated by a trap in one run through and in subsequent run throughs take advantage of the same trap to thin out enemies.

I've played the Tecmo's Deception series and it's sort of in line with what I'd like, if more focused on setting up the traps yourself with the occasional environmental trap you can work into your combos.

Orcs must die 2?

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

BeefThief posted:

Any good space trading games? It's okay if it's old as long as it's aged well. I'm looking for something like Port Royale maybe but with some adventure, ship/fleet customization and ability to grow from a lowly start.

I'm not looking for something first person, or really even with 3D graphics necessarily. There was a game I played years ago that I think had yellow text and kind of a light blue aesthetic if that rings a bell. I haven't ever been able to find it but I think that's actually the game I'm looking for.

Space trading games off the top of my head (quality may vary wildly):

X3: Albion Prelude
Evochron Mercenary
Space Trade: Merchant Marine (I haven't actually played it but I did buy it on Steam and it has space trader right in the name!)
Offworld Trading Company (Haven't played or bought it yet... does anyone know if it sucks?)
Space Rangers HD (Not strictly trading but you can do it)
DarkStar One (kinda sucks because everything ends in combat...)

Maybe the really old game you were looking for is Gazillionaire, which is still available but last time I looked they're really trying to milk money out of it for what it is (and now it looks like they have tablet versions that require you to install sketchy browsers? yeaahhh...): http://www.gazillionaire.com/index.php

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dark Messiah looks like it's got what I'm looking for. I've played both Orcs Must Die and while thematically there are traps I don't really enjoy the tower defense genre. Deception has some similarities to the tower defense formula but there's a more meticulous and personal feel to it.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

I'm looking to find good coop games I can play with a friend, open to any genre or style of game. Have a PC & PS3. Borderlands, Resident Evil 5 and Earth Defense Force are a couple of games we've played through and enjoyed.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Arabian Jesus posted:

I'm looking to find good coop games I can play with a friend, open to any genre or style of game. Have a PC & PS3. Borderlands, Resident Evil 5 and Earth Defense Force are a couple of games we've played through and enjoyed.
Dying Light, Broforce, and Saints Row 3 and 4.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Arabian Jesus posted:

Payday2's on sale for 5bux as part of the steam sale.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Danger Mahoney posted:

Kind of a general recommendation, but what are some good open ended games with persistent progress that will run on a toaster? I am on location for work with nothing but a budget laptop and a couple hours per day for about four months between work and whatever horrible networking event is planned for the night.

An RPG like diablo 2 where there is always progress you can make on your character would be a good example, but I've played that one to death. Transport tycoon works too, where you're contently building your empire, but I've played that one to death too.

Any recommendations?

Dungeonmans! It's a roguelike, but you bring stuff back to the central base (Academy) that powers up future characters whenever you die.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Good couch co-op games for the PS4? We've already played Diablo 3, a lot.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Viperix posted:

Rocket League? You can even go online with a split-screen partner.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Viperix posted:

LOVERS IN A DANGEROUS SPACETIME!

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Anything you got with an interesting story? Something that makes you want to know what happens next? Maybe something old or not so famous like Undertale or Pillars of Eternity. And no Telltale games in particular.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm looking for good VR games for my Vive. I got the free and dollar stuff (and so far you get what you pay for :geno:) Is there anything I should be really looking out for or getting? I'm already on board with Brookhaven. There's a lot of stuff on Steam Sale but I just can't go fishing with 20 bux and hope something's good.

Job Simulator is fantastic and Planetfate rocks, Audioshield is pretty nice too, they all get the Seal Of Good Game from me

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I'm looking for good VR games for my Vive. I got the free and dollar stuff (and so far you get what you pay for :geno:) Is there anything I should be really looking out for or getting? I'm already on board with Brookhaven. There's a lot of stuff on Steam Sale but I just can't go fishing with 20 bux and hope something's good.

Job Simulator is fantastic and Planetfate rocks, Audioshield is pretty nice too, they all get the Seal Of Good Game from me

Budget Cuts is pretty fun.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I don't have VR myself, but I imagine both Hawken and Subnautica would be very fun in VR.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Anything you got with an interesting story? Something that makes you want to know what happens next? Maybe something old or not so famous like Undertale or Pillars of Eternity. And no Telltale games in particular.

Immortal Defense!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

NonzeroCircle posted:

I'm looking for something on PC along the lines of the STALKER/Metro games: tried Survarium and didn't get on with it. Played the 3d Fallouts a lot, I got the season pass for 4 but am waiting a while to play it as I played that game a lot.

First or third person doesn't matter really, I'm mostly after bleak atmosphere, concrete ruins, kinda "Russian" for want of a better phrase, that sort of thing . I have a gaming PC but also like to play stuff on my laptop at work (will run most things on low, MGS V ran surprisingly well, Fallout 4 wouldn't even load though). Any ideas?

Also heard good things about 35mm.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

I liked The Longest Journey. Fair warning though, there are some old school adventure game puzzles.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Shakill OReal posted:

I'm looking for PC Party-based RPGs that meet these criteria:

• Full party customization (all custom, player-made characters)
  • Minimal storytelling/"questing" (I'm serious, even Temple of Elemental Evil has more text than I want to wade through)
  • Character development with lots of choices - ideally with some skills that benefit the party outside of combat. Lots of classes, races, skills etc. to pick from.
  • Lots of (or interesting) loot
  • Some dungeons and poo poo I can crawl through, I don't know
  • Interface isn't too archaic/clumsy

Sounds a lot like Legend of Grimrock. There are a lot of puzzles and some pixel-hunting, but there's really no dialogue other than pieces of paper and writing on the walls (both of which are usually clues to puzzles). Grimrock 2 has some lore stuff associated with it, but it's a massive game compared to the first, with an expansive overworld. The bundle for both of them is currently 70% off for 9½ more hours!

The game controls almost exactly like Eye of the Beholder, so I guess it's archaic/clumsy. :shrug:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

al-azad posted:

Also heard good things about 35mm.

I'd already pulled the trigger on that too, wouldn't say no for £2.50! I dunno what it is about that aesthetic that appeals to me but it really does.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 4, 2016

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

hampig posted:

I liked The Longest Journey. Fair warning though, there are some old school adventure game puzzles.

The sequels are pretty decent as well. Dreamfall Chapters just released the final episode recently, and I'm liking it so far. There's some branching in the storyline even, not Alpha Protocol level, but I'd place it slightly above your average Telltale game in that departament.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

the witcher 3, without question the best videogame story and plot I've ever seen.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
Witcher 3 qualifies as too well known. Which I say because I've tried almost all of those. Dreamfall Chapters is intriguing, especially since it's complete. I own Immortal Defense and Longest Journey but haven't really dipped my fingers in them. So good reminder to go back!

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Probably too well known but Last Of Us was one of the best game stories I've played in a while. Also Xenoblade Chronicles (the first one, not X) had 11 hours of cutscene with really fantastic story, but it was sandwiched inbetween like 200 hours of running around... (the story in X was really disappointing in comparison... a shame.)

[edit] Life is Strange was really fantastic too.

Tagra fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 4, 2016

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Ofecks posted:

Sounds a lot like Legend of Grimrock. There are a lot of puzzles and some pixel-hunting, but there's really no dialogue other than pieces of paper and writing on the walls (both of which are usually clues to puzzles). Grimrock 2 has some lore stuff associated with it, but it's a massive game compared to the first, with an expansive overworld. The bundle for both of them is currently 70% off for 9½ more hours!

The game controls almost exactly like Eye of the Beholder, so I guess it's archaic/clumsy. :shrug:

I played and liked the first LoG but I remember being a little underwhelmed in the amount/variety of loot, does the second one spice it up a little in that regard? I've been on the fence about picking it up for a while.

Also while we're at it, I played and loved Might and Magic X already.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I love grand strategy games like Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings and also old GBA-era RPG games with more menus and stats than gameplay. Only problem is my computer is awful at gaming and can only play really old games or games that take little power to run. Any games that fit this criteria?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Shakill OReal posted:

I played and liked the first LoG but I remember being a little underwhelmed in the amount/variety of loot, does the second one spice it up a little in that regard? I've been on the fence about picking it up for a while.
It's still not exactly a lootapalooza, but from what I remember of the first game I kinda wanna say that you do find more gear lying around in LoG 2. And the character progression mechanics are somewhat better. It's just an overall improvement over the first one in most aspects.

EDIT: This also applies to the music: The first one's main theme was already excellent, but I think the LoG 2 main theme is one of the best game themes I've heard. Gives me such a huge adventure boner every time.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 4, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Speaking of Legend of Grimock, I've been eyeballing a game called Star Crawlers that appears to be that but in a sci-fi setting. Anyone played it and have anything to say about it?

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Witcher 3 qualifies as too well known. Which I say because I've tried almost all of those. Dreamfall Chapters is intriguing, especially since it's complete. I own Immortal Defense and Longest Journey but haven't really dipped my fingers in them. So good reminder to go back!

Just keep in mind that Dreamfall Chapters is a direct continuation of the 2006 Dreamfall. There's a 'story so far' option, but the first Dreamfall is pretty decent and not that long anyway. There are a few (I think 4?) very clunky fight sequences, but other than that it's smooth sailing, very little 'adventure game logic'.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Alpha Protocol is a great story, but may be on the more well known side of this.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
I have a 16 hour road trip coming up, split between four people. That means I'll have 12 hours of sitting in a car doing nothing, and then on the way back, the same.

I don't have a laptop, but I do have a Galaxy S5.

I'm looking for decent android smartphone games, but I have zero interest in freemium games, or any game where you have to buy poo poo with real money in order to make things play at a reasonable speed. So no Candy Crush, or Clash of Clans, etc.

I am totally okay with buying a game, as long as I don't get nickel and dimed to buy currencies or whatever the poo poo on top of it all. I have $10 from doing the Google Survey thing that can't be cashed out, only spent.

Any genre is fine. And any age is fine, too. The only smartphone game I have ever played is Ingress, so even if it's a super popular, old game, I've never played it.

AbrahamLincolnLog fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jul 5, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

I have a 16 hour road trip coming up, split between four people. That means I'll have 12 hours of sitting in a car doing nothing, and then on the way back, the same.

I'm looking for decent android smartphone games, but I have zero interest in freemium games, or any game where you have to buy poo poo with real money in order to make things play at a reasonable speed. So no Candy Crush, or Clash of Clans, etc.

I am totally okay with buying a game, as long as I don't get nickel and dimed to buy currencies or whatever the poo poo on top of it all. I have $10 from doing the Google Survey thing that can't be cashed out, only spent.

Any genre is fine. And any age is fine, too. The only smartphone game I have ever played is Ingress, so even if it's a super popular, old game, I've never played it.

Just throwing out random longer games:

King of Dragon Pass
80 Days
Hoplite
Lara Craft/Hitman Go
Adventures of Mana

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Super Hexagon
Dragon Quest 4
Dragon Quest 5 - One of the best RPGs of any system if you've never played it
Adventures of Mana

What about Eternal Darkness?

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 5, 2016

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Thanks! I will check those all out and pick a few.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

What about Eternal Darkness?

I don't even care what the request was, go play this.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Thanks! I will check those all out and pick a few.

Sproggiwood, if you like roguelikes.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Love them! For almost two weeks I've been exclusively playing Cataclysm: DDA, so absolutely.

Went ahead and bought 80 Days and Sproggiwood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Love them! For almost two weeks I've been exclusively playing Cataclysm: DDA, so absolutely.

Went ahead and bought 80 Days and Sproggiwood.

Oh man, when you're done with your trip and back to a computer, gets Caves of Qud. It's made by Sproggiwood's devteam and vastly more complex. It's a similar sprawling survival roguelike to Cataclysm, so it's probably right up your alley.

(To clarify: Sproggiwood is brilliant and fun but a vastly different experience from CoQ. Hard to believe they're from the same folks!)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also get Hoplite it's an adorable compact kind-of-roguelike kind-of-puzzler, like chess mixed with Desktop Dungeons, and also free. Probably my most played phone game

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Wanna play Spades and Hearts with some friends online. Need a fast, painless way to do so, preferably without having to register an account and wait for email confirmation, although we could do that if it doesn't rope us into some asinine social network or search engine corpus. Windows 7-era PCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Is there anything like Baldur's Gate II on 3DS or DS? I'm looking for something to scratch the handheld rpg itch. I've already been through most of the Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games as well as many of the Tactics games (FF, Onimusha etc). I'm really looking for something like Baldur's - party of four or so, pausible or turn based combat, preferably fantasy but sci fi would be ok too.