Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Liu posted:

edit: just a dumb rant

That's all any of us really manage nowerdays anyway, you should have left it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/patrickwintour/status/749860294537740289

deport job-stealing euro-scum now!!111!

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Because people who want to restrict abortions don't really give a poo poo about dead babies. Their intentions begin and end with punishing and controlling women.

And even if it wasn't, personal control and qualified medical assistance in dealing with personal reproductive issues - medical issues - is and should be a basic human right.

Which sort of leads me to another point: I wish ethnic minorities, disabled, LBGT and other minority groups in which I include women for whom reproductive rights are attacked, woke up and realized something very fundamental that has been amply demonstrated in the UK in the time after the referendum.

The tyranny of the majority doesn't ever go away. Terrible, horrible injustices can be inflicted upon a society by its own people who are easily swayed by liars, charlatans and other politicians who have a personal agenda and voice.

While an oppressive thought, I wish I would see every minority group being even more keenly aware that every "right" they think they have can and will be taken away once the tyranny of the majority is allowed to govern a country. It's happened before and it will happen again. The only protection these groups have is for all practical purposes - historically and currently - overwhelmingly with politically left alternatives.

I don't mean to frame this as a single issue deal, but every minority of every persuasion has only gotten to enjoy its current rights and protections from the tyranny of the majority through legislation and policy. If any of you think we've been in some sort of paradigm shift and that we're "cilvilized" now, please bear in mind that the general consensus of the public, the tolerance of the majority, can and will change in both directions. These minorities are NOT protected from society going "nope, we don't like gays, polaks, arabs, feminists etc. anymore", which really only takes some disenfranchisement, lack of social programs/poverty and a charismatic populist with terrible ideas to have happen.

I'd like to see every member of these minority groups overwhelmingly voting as far left as the can, because everything else is self-destructive and damaging to themselves and the people they know. And it boggles my mind that they don't, if not purely from self-interest alone.

DesperateDan posted:

That's all any of us really manage nowerdays anyway, you should have left it in.

I like to leave dumb rants in, myself.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

I really doubt even a Tory majority could get a bill making abortion illegal again through Parliament. They could probably do some horrible poo poo in that area like cutting funding provisions and adding conditions and restrictions to make things more difficult and unpleasant for the woman involved, but I'd like to believe that a flat out ban just isn't something that would pass a Commons vote, let alone get through Lords.

e: I know May wants out of the ECHR, but surely such a law wouldn't stand on human rights grounds in any case. How does Ireland get away with it?

There is a lot of pressure at the moment to make the judiciary act in recognition of religion as the most important right (as per the HRA) and if that happens under pressure from a new Tory PM it will absolutely lead to abortions being essentially unavailable with a slew of conscientious objections from midwives etc.

People already feel this is 'morally right' due to s.4 of the Aborition Act 1967 giving people a get out clause, so you can expect to see Doogan happening all the time everywhere till services are severely restricted.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.facebook.com/SelectLuke/photos/a.170533589794919.1073741829.152393064942305/607829429398664/?type=3&theater

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/04/michael-foot-memorial-vandalised-with-swastikas

"Today, I got a message that the Michael Foot Memorial in Freedom Fields Park had been vandalised with Nazi swastikas, BNP and EDL as well as some other offensive words.
Michael stood up against fascism and to see these symbols of hate on his memorial is sickening."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Jippa posted:

https://www.facebook.com/SelectLuke/photos/a.170533589794919.1073741829.152393064942305/607829429398664/?type=3&theater

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/04/michael-foot-memorial-vandalised-with-swastikas

"Today, I got a message that the Michael Foot Memorial in Freedom Fields Park had been vandalised with Nazi swastikas, BNP and EDL as well as some other offensive words.
Michael stood up against fascism and to see these symbols of hate on his memorial is sickening."

Labour are traitors. So is anyone in the nation's history who ever stood up for minorities or foreigners. Make Britane Grate Again.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Nice piece of fish posted:

The only protection these groups have is for all practical purposes - historically and currently - overwhelmingly with politically left alternatives.

The trouble with this is that historically it's always come down to the establishment left taking the minority vote for granted (even while still actively making election promises to them) and as a result minority social issues slipping down the list of priorities because the party thinks they can just deal with it later.

Or worse, non-establishment leftists directly telling minority people "your only chance for progress is with us, so until the revolution succeeds please shut up about your personal problems okay?"

Not saying that's what you're doing, but at this point you should be aware that even if it's well-meant, your argument is likely to be met with "we won't be fooled again" skepticism.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

e: I know May wants out of the ECHR, but surely such a law wouldn't stand on human rights grounds in any case. How does Ireland get away with it?

ECHR doesn't provide a right to abortion(although it importantly also doesn't ban it; a foetus is not recognised as a person) so states can restrict it pretty much however they like as long as ot doesn't constitute cruel or degrading treatment or whatever. Ireland got a bollocking a while ago because the laws on when you can have an abortion were unclear, so we(eventually) clarified it and now you can have an abortion if you're literally going to die otherwise and a panel of doctors agree and blah blah bullshit.

Another repercussion of Brexit: making it that much harder for women in Ireland to access abortion. Maybe we'll finally be forced to address the issue ourselves.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

As there have been +1200 posts since I last visited - any noteworthy stuff happened since saturday?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

double nine posted:

As there have been +1200 posts since I last visited - any noteworthy stuff happened since saturday?

Nah. The chicken coup plotters have given Corbyn more time to consider his position. Polly Toynbee says their challenger has to be Angela Eagle and not Owen Smith because Welsh people aren't allowed to be Prime Minister. Andrea Leadsom is basically a stereotypical American republican.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/01/john-mcdonnell-brexit-will-end-free-movement-of-people

This kind of pisses me off. Most labour supporters voted to stay! Why are they rolling over in the face of a load of ukip voters and not standing up for the EU and freedom if movement?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Have the PLP ever mentioned cash flow for the next election as part of the reasoning for their coup?

Because a legit of Corbyn, the man seems like he would be absolutely terrible at soliciting donations from wealthy patrons.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Labour get most of their funding from unions and members anyway, and they really shouldn't be relying on wealthy patrons.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/01/john-mcdonnell-brexit-will-end-free-movement-of-people

This kind of pisses me off. Most labour supporters voted to stay! Why are they rolling over in the face of a load of ukip voters and not standing up for the EU and freedom if movement?

Because Labour is already bleeding voters to UKIP in the North and in South Wales and actively campaigning on a policy of ignoring the referendum would effectively cede those areas and pave the way for a far right government.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
Isn't Schrodingers Eagle is supposed to emerge today? If she sees her own shadow she gets spooked and we get six more weeks of manufactured political turmoil right?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Renaissance Robot posted:

The trouble with this is that historically it's always come down to the establishment left taking the minority vote for granted (even while still actively making election promises to them) and as a result minority social issues slipping down the list of priorities because the party thinks they can just deal with it later.

Or worse, non-establishment leftists directly telling minority people "your only chance for progress is with us, so until the revolution succeeds please shut up about your personal problems okay?"

Not saying that's what you're doing, but at this point you should be aware that even if it's well-meant, your argument is likely to be met with "we won't be fooled again" skepticism.

I can see that, sure. Of course, seeing as they have no recourse otherwise, they don't have a choice except being fooled. Protest voting for the right is shooting themselves in the foot. The best they can hope for is working inside these parties to get their issues recognized and pushed to the forefront.

I know that's not fun to hear, but this is what it comes down to on a pragmatic level. Help shift the Overton window towards the left and rely on the traditionally accompanying shift in the general perception of minorities, improved public education and welfare for low-income housing (and the corresponding downward shift in crime stats) or suffer the consequences. If that means being taken for granted, that's simply too bad. It really does come down to that beggars can't be choosers, and I'm sorry about that but the struggle is real and will continue to be real for minority issues forever. There are no solutions, only reasonably smart actions.

"We won't be fooled again" skepticism is self-defeating at best, self-harming at worst.

Seems to me that the left then has the responsiblility to combat this perception and introduce meaningful change. But this has to happen internally, and it will have to come from these minority voices themselves within the respective parties. That's the only solution I can see upon immediate reflection, but I welcome your thoughts on the matter.

floofyscorp posted:

ECHR doesn't provide a right to abortion(although it importantly also doesn't ban it; a foetus is not recognised as a person) so states can restrict it pretty much however they like as long as ot doesn't constitute cruel or degrading treatment or whatever. Ireland got a bollocking a while ago because the laws on when you can have an abortion were unclear, so we(eventually) clarified it and now you can have an abortion if you're literally going to die otherwise and a panel of doctors agree and blah blah bullshit.

Another repercussion of Brexit: making it that much harder for women in Ireland to access abortion. Maybe we'll finally be forced to address the issue ourselves.

It doesn't provide that right, and I feel that it's a major failing of the ECHR given their traditionally rather expansive interpretations of the convention in other cases. In my personal opinion, it doesn't make sense in a european context to hold any country to a standard lesser than basic human rights and dignities afforded in almost every single first-world country. I know the ECHR and/or the convention doesn't have as its specific goal to homogenize rights and privileges in Europe, but that's really a very significant part of what they have been doing for decades now.

If the right case came along, perhaps the ECHR can give a limited ruling which in some way goes further than the Ireland verdict in terms of reproductive rights, and I hope they do. Meanwhile, we will have to rely on definitions of human rights and dignity and principles of non-interference in issues outsiders to it should have no voice in, other than definitions that follow the consensus of a bloody convention. Abortion is a basic medical right, the right of every woman, and this is not an issue I see the public as having any right to speak to. Not in any fair and just society.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

pointsofdata posted:

Because McDonnell and Corbyn are more or less unreconstructed Bennites and don't much like the EU despite the facade they put on for the referendum. Hence Corbyn's call for immediate invocation of article 50 on the day the result was announced and the ludicrous guff McDonnell's been spouting.

Jaminjami
Jan 26, 2015

pointsofdata posted:

http://twitter.com/johnmcdonnellMP/status/748832664808001536

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/749852756630908928
thanks for the thoughtful contribution, vince from hull

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

pointsofdata posted:

I voted remain but, personally, couldn't vote for anyone who I felt would ignore the result. It shows a certain contempt for democracy which is a deal breaker for me. Note the use of pronouns, we can argue all day about whether ignoring the referendum is 'the right thing' or not again. I'm not saying I couldn't be convinced but it would take a lot.

But then maybe I, like Corbyn, remember all the reasons to leave the EU pre the immigration issue hijacking.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/03/tony-blair-may-face-impeachment-on-release-of-chilcot-report

quote:

Senior figures from Labour and the Scottish National party are considering calls for legal action against Tony Blair if the former prime minister faces severe criticisms from the long-awaited inquiry into the war in Iraq.

A number of MPs led by Alex Salmond are expected to use an ancient law to try to impeach the former prime minister when the Chilcot report comes out on Wednesday.

The law, last used in 1806 when the Tory minister Lord Melville was charged for misappropriating official funds, is seen in Westminster as an alternative form of punishment that could ensure Blair never holds office again.

the SNP are good trolls

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Because McDonnell and Corbyn are more or less unreconstructed Bennites and don't much like the EU despite the facade they put on for the referendum. Hence Corbyn's call for immediate invocation of article 50 on the day the result was announced and the ludicrous guff McDonnell's been spouting.

Or maybe the Guardian is being dishonest in its reporting, and you're full of poo poo again.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Corbyn did call for the immediate invocation of Article 50, didn't he?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

Corbyn did call for the immediate invocation of Article 50, didn't he?

therefore the fact that it still hasn't been invoked is indicative of his inability to lead, TIBFJC

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Wolfsbane posted:

Or maybe the Guardian is being dishonest in its reporting, and you're full of poo poo again.

This is going to be an extremely unpopular concept in this thread, but it is entirely possible to not want free movement of labour without being racist. I'd argue that the assumption that a leave vote implies xenophobic views is a losing argument and a key reason the result came out the way it did. It would be nice if remain could let that bullshit die now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Renaissance Robot posted:

therefore the fact that it still hasn't been invoked is indicative of his inability to lead, TIBFJC

Well, no, I wouldn't expect the timing of Brexit to be dictated by the opposition leader. It does however give an insight in to how he really feels about the EU.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Do we need 'insight in to how he really feels about the EU'? It's common knowledge Corbyn has wanted out for years.

e: infact the fact he toed the party line on remain is massively to his discredit in my opinion. I was under the impression 'A new kind of politics' involved, you know, saying what you actually felt on a particular issue.

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 4, 2016

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It'll be interesting to see who, if any, oppose this motion. I'd figure any and all Conservatives would be happy to stick the knife in, but which of the Blairites would not dare to betray their Lord God?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Wolfsbane posted:

Corbyn called for the immediate invocation of article 50 on the morning after the referendum

quote:

Jeremy Corbyn has said Article 50 - which triggers Britain's formal exit from the EU - must be invoked now.
The Labour leader told the BBC that the British peoples' wishes must be respected and the two-year withdrawal process should be started immediately.

McDonnell, per his own tweet up there, "accepts that free movement will end" but still demands passporting and full access to the single market

quote:

The country now needs the whole system to gear itself towards delivering the long-term, patient investment this country needs. So we must ensure that any future deal with the European Union includes a banking passport and full access to European markets. We will not be supporting any exit deal that cannot guarantee those rights.
That is to say, he is spouting exactly the same delusional guff as the Tory brexiteers, which is tantamount to demanding the ability to have your cake, eat it, regurgitate it completely intact, and then eat it all over again.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Pissflaps posted:

Well, no, I wouldn't expect the timing of Brexit to be dictated by the opposition leader. It does however give an insight in to how he really feels about the EU.

I think he was making a joke

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

LemonDrizzle posted:

Corbyn called for the immediate invocation of article 50 on the morning after the referendum

McDonnell, per his own tweet up there, "accepts that free movement will end" but still demands passporting and full access to the single market

That is to say, he is spouting exactly the same delusional guff as the Tory brexiteers, which is tantamount to demanding the ability to have your cake, eat it, regurgitate it completely intact, and then eat it all over again.

Should he have demanded we isolate ourselves from our continental neighbours for 7 years and also that the teaching of foreign languages in school be banned?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

jiggerypokery posted:

Do we need 'insight in to how he really feels about the EU'? It's common knowledge Corbyn has wanted out for years.

Yes, he correctly thinks the EU is a toxic institution which mostly serves the interests of those in power. But it was obvious that a leave vote would just provide fuel for xenophobic isolationism which is why he campaigned for remain. Given that it was a leave vote anyway, I think it's the correct calculation that we should leave as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

qhat posted:

I think he was making a joke

And thus begins the derail of July 4.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OvineYeast posted:

But it was obvious that a leave vote would just provide fuel for xenophobic isolationism which is why he campaigned for remain.

Has he actually said this or are you assuming his thought process is the same as yours?

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Pissflaps posted:

Has he actually said this or are you assuming his thought process is the same as yours?

His stump speeches were basically geared around opposing xenophobic isolationism, yes.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

He did vote remain, campaign for it, after in the past criticizing the EU. It's not a huge deductive leap to say his view is probably "the EU is bad, but not as bad as leaving it, but not as bad as pussyfooting about leaving it"

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
You guys might be screwed short term, but at least you got the pound. Now take us (Finland) WTF are we gonna do except austerity ourselves into greece 2.0?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I find it odd that somebody whose shtick is being a man of principle would abandon them at the first major electoral test.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OvineYeast posted:

Yes, he correctly thinks the EU is a toxic institution which mostly serves the interests of those in power. But it was obvious that a leave vote would just provide fuel for xenophobic isolationism which is why he campaigned for remain. Given that it was a leave vote anyway, I think it's the correct calculation that we should leave as quickly and cleanly as possible.

Also that he leads a broad coalition of Labour and offered to govern by democratic consent. Given the vast majority of the Labour party preferred Remain he campaigned against what many see as his personal conviction in the spirit of the democratic will of the party. It was fully in line with his 'new kind of politics' to campaign Remain despite lingering Leave sympathies as the majority of Labour institutions wanted him to do so.

This is part of why his campaign was the most authentic IMO. While the other leaders were going "the EU is great, the EU is fabulous!" he was saying the the EU has fundamental flaws and they should be changed. Others accuse him of sabotaging his campaign by doing it but before the Graun decided he was Satan again they were praising his 'warts and all' angle of the campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

forkboy84 posted:

he wants an end to ring-fenced NHS spending.

He's got surprisingly poo poo opinions about the healthcare system for someone who grew up in a council house, went to state school and was a loving doctor.

• Locked thread