Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

This is part of why his campaign was the most authentic IMO.

Presumably you must have found the Leave campaign more compelling for you to give it your vote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

Pissflaps posted:

I find it odd that somebody whose shtick is being a man of principle would abandon them at the first major electoral test.

Sometimes principles conflict and you have to choose one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LemonDrizzle posted:

That is to say, he is spouting exactly the same delusional guff as the Tory brexiteers, which is tantamount to demanding the ability to have your cake, eat it, regurgitate it completely intact, and then eat it all over again.

No, actually; you'll note neither of them are attempting to say we should have single market access and also block immigrants somehow. That's the have your cake and eat it position bojo was trying to sell.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Presumably you must have found the Leave campaign more compelling for you to give it your vote?

I voted along my personal conviction, but I could easily have campaigned for Remain if I was called to it.

If I was in power, I would never have held such a stupid and divisive referendum and would probably have pushed for closer EU integration. Mind you I'd have pushed for press regulation long before that so I wouldn't have the uphill battle of facts that this one had.

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I find it odd that somebody whose shtick is being a man of principle would abandon them at the first major electoral test.

The extreme right in the UK is worse than the centre right EU. Given the choice between two evils you should choose the lesser.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Pissflaps posted:

I find it odd that somebody whose schtick is being an unrelenting pedant would be unable to comprehend nuance in this particular context.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Renaissance Robot posted:

No, actually; you'll note neither of them are attempting to say we should have single market access and also block immigrants somehow. That's the have your cake and eat it position bojo was trying to sell.
McDonnell says he accepts that free movement will end but that Britain must retain single market access and financial services passporting anyway. That is exactly equivalent to the bojo cake position.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Pissflaps posted:

Having reservations about the EU but still deciding on measure it's better to stay within it and try for reforms than go it alone isn't unprincipled. Even wanting to possibly leave it, but not on Tory terms so not at this referendum isn't unprincipled either.

Speaking personally Corbyn and Varoufakis' "yeah it's a bit poo poo but let's not be silly here" approach did more to convince me to Remain simply because there was some nuance there.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

LemonDrizzle posted:

McDonnell says he accepts that free movement will end but that Britain must retain single market access and financial services passporting anyway. That is exactly equivalent to the bojo cake position.

it's just an opening bargaining position isn't it? I know the UK isn't going to get squat but they have to talk our side up. Either that or all the politicians who keep saying this are softening the way for a deal which accepts free movement of people.

E: lol if they think they're keeping passporting, it'll be the first thing to go and if they drag this out long enough the banks will decamp to the continent anyway, making the issue pretty moot

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

It's not true that the UK isn't going to get squat IMO.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

qhat posted:

Yeah, even when property prices crash, there are still going to be people who need to squat. :v:

Carborundum
Feb 21, 2013
The financial services sector moving en masse to Paris might be the best thing to come from all this.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Carborundum posted:

The financial services sector moving en masse to Paris might be the best thing to come from all this.

Pretty much, as long as the government wakes up from its 6 year fart-huffing coma in time to realise we need to urgently diversify our economy.

That said, when it's the two of us having a tug of war over a burned tyre we both want for dinner, perhaps we'll think back to this conversation and laugh bitterly.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

That, too, I think is unlikely. Some banks might go, but in general I think the city is staying put.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

qhat posted:

I think he was making a joke

So is Pissflaps.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

They should be opposing brexit! That doesn't mean ignoring the result of referendum.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

jiggerypokery posted:

This is going to be an extremely unpopular concept in this thread, but it is entirely possible to not want free movement of labour without being racist. I'd argue that the assumption that a leave vote implies xenophobic views is a losing argument and a key reason the result came out the way it did. It would be nice if remain could let that bullshit die now.

It's an unpopular concept because it never happens to be followed with an explanation that voids "the jobs are for the people here, you other people don't get jobs, and that's because you don't come from here". It's pretty hard to paint as anything else.

The leave campaign relied on racism and xenophobia. It doesn't imply that anyone voting that way was a conscious racist or a xenophobe, but if they weren't and voted leave they either knowingly supported fash anyway, or were thick enough to fall for the "£350 million a week! all for us!" poo poo coming from notable bigoted cockwombles. That, and the large contingent of those who will without hint of irony say "I'm not racist... but.."- of course they don't like being called a racist, they realise racism has a stigma attached but somehow not the reasoning for it being a bad thing.

Unfortunately a reduction in that stigma has seen a massive increase in laminated hate mail through peoples doors, halal butchers torched and mums told to "gently caress off home, we voted you out" on the buses.

Ignoring that the leave campaign was racist and xenophobic in an attempt to save peoples feelings won't work. They won't stop falling for the same bullshit because people stopped calling them out on it, if the stigma behind racist viewpoints is diminished, racism is empowered.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

They should be opposing brexit! That doesn't mean ignoring the result of referendum.

So did you hit your head and forget what the referendum was on, or something?

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/749852756630908928
thanks for the thoughtful contribution, vince from hull

This is funny, but also alarming. Educating Vince that actually British people are doing jobs, it's just the government has taken all their money and given it to their mates, is something that needs doing. We can't just laugh and say "haha, another dumb racist member of the working class" - when he's exactly the sort of person who should be on the side of Labour/the left, but in reality is probably voting UKIP.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

qhat posted:

[pissflaps]the double negative means that you think the UK is going to get squat which still isn't much[/pissflaps]

I'll be glad if the UK does ok out of negotiations but between the need for the EU to slam England pretty hard over this and the complete incompetence and even absence of our political class I can't see it happening.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Farage just said he's stepping down as UKIP leader.

Well, for at least three days again?

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Someone explain to me why he is resigning? Didn't his party score a major political victory with Brexit?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Junior G-man posted:

Yeah, Im taking my pinch of salt here.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Is Carswell expelled or what?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Or he's going to try and join the Conservatives.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

kustomkarkommando posted:

Is Carswell expelled or what?

Not so far as I know.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

What's there really to do anymore as Farage. You won't ever be in cabinet, heaven forbid, your political movement will run out of steam and will lose ground to open racists instead of your slightly-less-open brand of racism, now is the moment to cash out.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If Farage has thrown the toys out of the pram because the NEC wouldn't expel Carswell like he's been talking about for the last week or so just lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kurtofan posted:

So is Pissflaps.

Stop responding to Pissflaps.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

LMAO Farage now opening the door wide open for 'collaboration' with the Conservatives in the next government.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Someone explain to me why he is resigning? Didn't his party score a major political victory with Brexit?

To paraphrase, he said that having successfully voted to take his country back, he now wants to take his life back.

Presumably to spend more time with his German wife and German-speaking kids.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

jiggerypokery posted:

This is going to be an extremely unpopular concept in this thread, but it is entirely possible to not want free movement of labour without being racist. I'd argue that the assumption that a leave vote implies xenophobic views is a losing argument and a key reason the result came out the way it did. It would be nice if remain could let that bullshit die now.
What does that have to do with anything I said?

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Huh, I'd've figured Farage would ride his 'win' further, pressuring the government on why Art 50 isn't invoked and promising more bullshit (then blaming the EU when they don't acquiesce).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Lunar Suite posted:

Huh, I'd've figured Farage would ride his 'win' further, pressuring the government on why Art 50 isn't invoked and promising more bullshit (then blaming the EU when they don't acquiesce).

He said that if the government doesn't invoke Article 50 then UKIP's 'best days' are ahead.

He also said UKIP should not stand against pro-Brexit MPs in a general election.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Junior G-man posted:

LMAO Farage now opening the door wide open for 'collaboration' with the Conservatives in the next government.

i don't think this is what a lot of UKIP voters would like

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/749892870606381056

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The oval office of Personality with UKIP is gone then.

Good.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

He's won his battle hasn't he? That's all he ever gave a poo poo about. Now he can sit back and watch the sweet, sweet media appearance moolah start to roll in as "The Man Who Faced Down Europe". I'm going to puke my pelvis out having to see his smug face on a regular basis. God exists, and he wants us to suffer.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
No more hope of seeing him die in another plane-related publicity stunt :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Angela Eagle says she'll stand "soon" if Corbyn doesn't resign so I'm guessing not today either lmao.

• Locked thread