Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Meanwhile, giant Mao spotted in Sussex https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/jul/04/sculptural-revolution-sussex-playful-woodland-mao-cass-sculpture-foundation

45: the time the best government in recent history got into power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

qhat posted:

Stop being pedantic you know what I'm talking about

Stop giving him opportunities to be a pedant. Ignore him. If you can't handle that for some reason, maybe you need to utilise your Ignore List. But you really shouldn't need to.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/749901943456268288

https://twitter.com/JamieRoss7/status/749904468179841024

:lol: The loving Jester of Scotland.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I say BoJo should run for leader of UKIP.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
This does make Nicola Sturgeon the longest serving major party leader now.

Then it's Tim Farron.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

TinTower posted:

This does make Nicola Sturgeon the longest serving major party leader now.

Then it's Tim Farron.

Ruth Davidson?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Pissflaps posted:

More relevantly, polling today shows Labour far behind where they were at the same stage after 2010

For anyone who takes Pissflaps seriously, polling today is not the same as polling a few years ago as all the pollsters' responses to the 2015 General Election was just add a few points onto the Tories

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

Pissflaps posted:

More relevantly, polling today shows Labour far behind where they were at the same stage after 2010 (leading by between 5 and 10 points)

Those polls were famously badly wrong. Labour were arguably never ahead at all.

Polling two weeks ago showed Remain as much as 10 points ahead.

UK polls are worthless.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

More relevantly, polling today shows Labour far behind where they were at the same stage after 2010 (leading by between 5 and 10 points) which means that come polling day, Labour is heading for an absolute disaster.

I agree that the PLP are damaging Labour's chances of success.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Only thing everyone in the UK can agree on is it's funny to lie to pollsters.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Are we now back to pretending that Corbyn can win a general election after all? Normally there's a consensus that he cannot, only a difference of opinion over whether that matters or not.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

I think if you're going by that metric, Willie Rennie might just pip Ruth to the post.

Leanne Wood became Plaid leader in March 2012, for completeness,

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dispatch_async posted:

Polling two weeks ago showed Remain as much as 10 points ahead.

I don't think this is true.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

forkboy84 posted:

Liam Fox has come out & said that abortions are bad and has called for "huge restriction, if not abolition" on the UK's "pro-abortion laws".

Going back a few pages but I had no idea about this. I didn't realise anyone (close to power) in this country/soon to be ex-union still thought abortion should be illegal. Genuinely, I thought that this was a settled issue in the establishment. None of the Conservative party members I've known have ever cared enough to mention it, and neither have most of the Catholics.

How mainstream are Fox's views in the Tory party?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Technically a wing of the Conservative Party.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Pissflaps posted:

Are we now back to pretending that Corbyn can win a general election after all? Normally there's a consensus that he cannot, only a difference of opinion over whether that matters or not.

This is a lie

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

I think he's got a vanishingly small chance.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

LemonDrizzle posted:

McDonnell says he accepts that free movement will end but that Britain must retain single market access and financial services passporting anyway. That is exactly equivalent to the bojo cake position.

No it isn't, because BoJo was making that statement as a likely future PM, that is the guy who actually has to be responsible for the negotiations, whereas McDonnell is making the statement as an opposition politician who won't be involved in the process. And opposition politicians making popular demands to the government that they know the government are unlikely fulfil isn't exactly a novel concept.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Stabbatical posted:

Going back a few pages but I had no idea about this. I didn't realise anyone (close to power) in this country/soon to be ex-union still thought abortion should be illegal. Genuinely, I thought that this was a settled issue in the establishment. None of the Conservative party members I've known have ever cared enough to mention it, and neither have most of the Catholics.

Probably about half of the MPs, two thirds to three quarters of the membership, are primarily traditionalists (based on how the party polled on same-sex marriage).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

No-one has said anything about him winning a general. The most optimistic anyone has been is suggesting the Tories lose an outright majority.

haakman
May 5, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

Flaps, I love you. I really do. You bring a nuance and skill to pedantry that a lot newer posters could do with understanding.

Saying that, we get it. You don't think Corbyn is electable and that he hasn't done a good job. Can you stop now? It's fairly boring and someone always rises to the bait, thus derailing the thread for 2-3 pages of skippable content.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

I think he's got a vanishingly small chance.

This seems to be the view of most.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

No-one has said anything about him winning a general. The most optimistic anyone has been is suggesting the Tories lose an outright majority.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is a lie

Not sure what to think now.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Tesseraction posted:

This is also wrong

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think Theresa is most likely to win, though I don't think there will be a GE as she doesn't particularly need a new mandate. She performed well on Peston on Sunday - goes to church, graceful in defeat and wouldn't endorse glenn hoddle for England manager. Think she'd make a good unity PM really.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
Very different world now, Cameron was a useless shite but he could almost play the part of a charismatic statesman, the current line-up for Tory leader have the collective charm and charisma of a rotting fish. If Johnson had gotten the nod then he might have been able to pull off a Tory majority, but Labour will have a real chance in the next GE assuming the PLP stop acting like spoiled children.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Stabbatical posted:

moving the threshold down from 24 wks has some electoral traction, but abolishing it is a non-starter. 93% of the population support it. they'd have more luck bringing back hanging

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

Not sure what to think now.

Perhaps the lie he's observing is your suggesting someone has suggested Corbyn was going to win a general election.

Wait,

MrL_JaKiri posted:

This is also wrong

I yield the floor.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
To be more specific about just how useless polling is:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

Very different world now, Cameron was a useless shite but he could almost play the part of a charismatic statesman, the current line-up for Tory leader have the collective charm and charisma of a rotting fish. If Johnson had gotten the nod then he might have been able to pull off a Tory majority, but Labour will have a real chance in the next GE assuming the PLP stop acting like spoiled children.

Disagree. May is a good 'manager' and has actually done stuff in her cabinet position, unlike DC.. PLUS its stuff that will endear her to Leave voters.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I think Corbyn can win a GE. But then again by 2020 literally anyone is going to be able to win a GE as the Labour Candidate because poo poo is going to be hosed.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dispatch_async posted:

I'd be reluctant to compare polling performance for a one-off referendum with polling for Westminster voting intention.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

coffeetable posted:

they'd have more luck bringing back hanging

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

45: the time the best government in recent history got into power
Necrocracy under dead Hitler is better than most of our recent cabinets.

coffeetable posted:

moving the threshold down from 24 wks has some electoral traction, but abolishing it is a non-starter. 93% of the population support it. they'd have more luck bringing back hanging
Bring back capital punishment but only for fetuses.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

dispatch_async posted:

https://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/746086000514969604

The only people worth believing.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The only group Corbin is popular with is labour party members (possibly including some green/SWP voters). Labour voters and even Unite members think he's doing a bad job!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/andrealeadsom/status/509740038650093568

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

Pissflaps posted:

I think the complete and utter mess that is the Labour leadership coup means that Labour cannot win the next general election under any leader. The PLP's complete incompetence has destroyed the only real argument they had for him going because who the hell is going to trust that bunch of jokers to run a country if this is how they handle a leadership struggle. It's telling that the anti-Corbyn numbers in Labour voters/members look much better when it's a nebulous "other" candidate (i.e. they can project their ideal candidate into the answer) but dissipates into 20+ point margins of victory for Corbyn when they actually put any name to them. This was all utterly predictable and has shown that the chief architects of the coup are driven by sheer animosity towards Corbyn and the left rather than the pragmatic concerns of being A Government In WaitingTM. The fact is that they did not want a win under Corbyn at any cost and are burning down the Labour party instead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The twist is that they didn't actually count the referendum they just took that Leave.EU poll and multiplied the voter turnout by 0.48 and 0.52 then applied wiggle room for spoiled ballots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

The only group Corbin is popular with is labour party members (possibly including some green/SWP voters). Labour voters and even Unite members think he's doing a bad job!

Oh you're doing this now too. Is this a shibboleth or something.

• Locked thread