Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Really what the Empire needs is gun control. I know the Right to Bear Arms is a thing but all these steam tanks for 'hunting' or 'home defense' everywhere is just asking for trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011
I've never let any captive live from any faction while playing Empire and never received negative order traits.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

It's kinda a matter of luck, really. If my understanding is right, it takes an average of 18 executes/take on actions on a single general to proc a negative trait, though there is a 1% chance of it happening after just two. Meanwhile there's an over a 5% chance of it not happening even after 40 executes.

EDIT: If you don't wanna build negative traits, then spread out the actions that trigger them amongst your Lords, and also try and pick a mix of the different negative actions. (i.e. if you aren't gonna release captives, alternate between execute and take on.) Similarly, to build positive traits, focus those actions on one Lord.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 4, 2016

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Onmi posted:

What's the best Artillery for going against Chaos Warriors? I'm building Gelts army now and I've currently got him with 3 Great Swords and 3 Demigryph Knights. I'm also about to unlock Steam Tanks.

Can't go wrong with Steam Tanks, and Great Cannons are really good too because they'll reliably kill a clutch of heavily-armoured infantry with each hit unlike the Helstorms. They're also useful for bombarding giants etc to soften them up before they get to you.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm not sure if it's steam tanks specifically or if it was because they were rank 9 (due to captains), but my steam tanks were goddamn snipers. They could hit a single target (enemy general) at long range, every shot.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Will Sigvald stop RUNNING THE gently caress AWAY from the three stacks chasing him? I've got a lord of change led stack on the horizon I really didn't think he was smart enough to play Keep Away

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Right okay, everyone keeps harping on how amazing the Blood Knights are, and they are good its just.. I think the new Hexwraiths post-patch are even better.

Just had two battles where it was 3x armies vs my 1x Kemmlers top tier army.

So the enemy has reinforcements, and in BOTH battles i managed to vanguard deploy my 2xHexwraiths so that AS SOON as those armies appear they run into my hexies.

Cue MASS loving ROUTING that immediately makes the vast majority of both reinforing armies turn tail and run away IMMEDIATELY since they are routing RIGHT where they spawn.

In the second battle the reinforcing armies are right next to their main army so they actually manage to pin my hexes, resulting in more of their units making it in as well. My Hexers are nearly killed, but i manage to pull them away, and they still managed to make atleast 4-6 units run away from the map. I throw Nehek on them and let them bathe in Kemmlers aura. They are soon BACK TO FULL HEALTH and going back to fighting, which they do very well since they just refuse to die with their 80% physical protection.

Spooky Ghost Men Horsies gud.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deified Data posted:

Curious what the justification for confederation penalties are, other than "confederation would be too viable without making everyone hate you".

I have the Norscan nerf mod installed and I haven't even seen them yet at turn ~40. :3: It really is the best.

Rome 2 had no confederation problems so a smart Suebi player could just pay their germanic neighbours to plough through France, North Italy and the Balkans and later on just buy their empires and basically insta win the game.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gejnor posted:

Right okay, everyone keeps harping on how amazing the Blood Knights are, and they are good its just.. I think the new Hexwraiths post-patch are even better.

So the enemy has reinforcements, and in BOTH battles i managed to vanguard deploy my 2xHexwraiths so that AS SOON as those armies appear they run into my hexies.

Cue MASS loving ROUTING that immediately makes the vast majority of both reinforing armies turn tail and run away IMMEDIATELY since they are routing RIGHT where they spawn.

In the second battle the reinforcing armies are right next to their main army so they actually manage to pin my hexes, resulting in more of their units making it in as well. My Hexers are nearly killed, but i manage to pull them away, and they still managed to make atleast 4-6 units run away from the map. I throw Nehek on them and let them bathe in Kemmlers aura. They are soon BACK TO FULL HEALTH and going back to fighting, which they do very well since they just refuse to die with their 80% physical protection.

Spooky Ghost Men Horsies gud.

I think this is a bug. Reinforcements enter the field with 0 morale, which fills up during the first couple of seconds into the fight. Attacking them beforehand with a unit that causes terror would likely lead to routing.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gejnor posted:

Do you play vanilla Kemmler or do you use some mod?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Ah. Yes. Hi. Hello. I need another stack.

Well, can't run, wont get a better chance than this.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jul 4, 2016

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I think this is a bug. Reinforcements enter the field with 0 morale, which fills up during the first couple of seconds into the fight. Attacking them beforehand with a unit that causes terror would likely lead to routing.

Im not sure if its a bug or not exactly, but yes that is exactly whats happening here, its hilarious watching them come in all like ":black101: Alright Lads, lets send theese abo-:stare: Bugger this for a game of soldiers!"

Its gamey but at the same time it sort of makes sense in that you're basically attacking them at their most vulnerable moment.

Angry Lobster posted:

Do you play vanilla Kemmler or do you use some mod?

No spell mods on at the moment though i have my own Upgraded Legendary Lord Items mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876) on, but he didn't have any purpz when i did theese fights. Nehek is now amazing as it resses units with full health post patch and complements wraith units extremely well with their low hp/high physical protection.

Gejnor fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 4, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I suspect this issue will be automatically fixed once reinforcement zones are rationalised. You probably can't deploy right there in most cases any more.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay, need actual advice on this fight.

Forces:
Karl Franz Rank 22 : Ghal Maraz, Seed of Rebirth, Monster Tracker, Fearless, Confident Attacker, Deathclaw.
Light Wizard: No mount, Banishment, Net, pretty much all the spells.
6x Greatsword
5x Crossbowmen
1x Hangunner
Reiksguard
Demigryph Knight
2 Great Cannons
3 Steam Tanks

Reinforcements:
Rank 13 Treasurer
6x Swordmen
2x Spearmen with Shields
2x Crossbowmen
3x Pistoliers
1x Mortar

Not a great army, it's the one that's currently stuck. But I'm going to lose a lot of ground if I just abandon them to Mael.

Enemy Forces:
Sarthorael
6x Chaos Warriors
1x w/ Halberds
3x Chaos Knights
1x Chaos Giant
1x Chaos Spawn
2x Chaos Trolls
3x Hellcannons (These loving things)

Enemy Reinforcements:
Archaon the Roadblock
4x Chaos Warriors
2x w/ Halberds
4x Chaos Knights
1x Chaos Spawn
3x Hellcannons

Battlefield is pretty flat, though their is a slop to hide behind.

Current strategy has been

GC ST ST ST GS GS GS GS GS GS GC
HG XX CB CB CB CB CB XX XX XX XX

Behind the hill hid the Reiksguard and Demigryph. Now I was focus firing on Sarthorael with the cannons and steam tanks, which got him down to about half by the time he got up in my face. I'm still poo poo with my wizard so I keep hitting his Net spell when they aren't in range of my crossbows. Then usually I can get the upperhand and then Archaon's reinforcements are far faster than mine, and just end me. Both times Karl Franz has gone down, Once when fighting Sarthorael the second when fighting Archaon. Probably because I specced him full Red, not Orange. I keep trying to send the Reiksguard and Demigryph to go over the hill and run down the Cannons, but they always get caught up in fights and I apparently cannot find the way to tell them "No. Idiots, the ones shooting hot purple fire, not the idiots who just decided to engage you." Though chances are I'm just bad.

So yes, any advice on tactics or formations would be nice. I really think I have a shot, I just have to take out the leadership and not die from the Knight flanks.

I don't think Cannons can shoot over lines though.

I also have a Griffon Standard (-4 Leadership to all foes in aura), a Steel Standardz2 (+20 Speed), a Standard of Discipline (+4 Leadership) and a Scarecrow Standard (-4 Leadership, flying)

Onmi fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 4, 2016

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I routinely have enemy army attack from the back of my deployment zone. As dwarves I use it as an opportunity to shoot them to pieces but I imagine VC terror causing units would be able to rout at least some of them in an instant.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Gejnor posted:

No spell mods on at the moment though i have my own Upgraded Legendary Lord Items mod (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=707695876) on, but he didn't have any purpz when i did theese fights. Nehek is now amazing as it resses units with full health post patch and complements wraith units extremely well with their low hp/high physical protection.

Neat, so I assume the changes to the spells and Vampire Counts units have made Kemmler more viable. Going to try him for my next VC campaign, with your Tier IV settlement mod.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Onmi posted:

Can you hug the corner of the map close to where your reinforcements enter? Then have some "picket" forces that need to stop chaos cav and monsters for a while so your ranged can chew them. If possible hide some cav in a forest away from your line and once enemy knights engage your infantry go for their guns.

How tanky is your tank? Maybe use it as a speedbump instead of some poor swordmen. Mind you I've never played humans :psydwarf:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Onmi posted:

So yes, any advice on tactics or formations would be nice. I really think I have a shot, I just have to take out the leadership and not die from the Knight flanks.

Your armies are seriously lacking in halberdiers which do real work against Chaos armies (and give you anti-monster and anti-cavalry power in your line troops), and you're too crossbow-heavy instead of handgunners who do a lot better against armour, but that deficiency aside you can do okay in this battle I think. I think you need to just grind the cavalry charges out in hand-to-hand with superior infantry numbers - don't be afraid to throw away your entire reinforcing army to achieve this, I think. Save the limited cavalry you have to go and kill all the Hellcannons as the Chaos forces leave them undefended at the rear. Pistoliers can actually be useful for this but the reiksguard and demigryphs could be usefully employed in that role too, before swinging around to hit the engaged main forces.

I'd seriously consider your reinforcement army as 100% expendable aside from the lord.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Onmi posted:

IMO, get a good position for your cannons near the far back of the lines and close to the reinforcements if possible. Cannons do fire over your lines, but not if the enemy is in melee and they need to be a good amount back behind your lines.

Use the tanks to immediately snipe the enemy cannons, then have them fire at the cavalry.

Use net of amyntok fairly liberally. Keep pumelling soft, large targets with crossbows. Should be able to beat the chaos warriors with greatswords, flank charge them with Franz. If you can delay knights with the tanks, do so, then move in your reinforcement infantry to assist them.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

alex314 posted:

Can you hug the corner of the map close to where your reinforcements enter? Then have some "picket" forces that need to stop chaos cav and monsters for a while so your ranged can chew them. If possible hide some cav in a forest away from your line and once enemy knights engage your infantry go for their guns.

How tanky is your tank? Maybe use it as a speedbump instead of some poor swordmen. Mind you I've never played humans :psydwarf:

The tanks are quite tanky, And I can sprint to the corner, yeah. So that, then what, send the horses behind the hill to behind the lines and then charge the cannons from the back?

John Charity Spring posted:

Your armies are seriously lacking in halberdiers which do real work against Chaos armies (and give you anti-monster and anti-cavalry power in your line troops), and you're too crossbow-heavy instead of handgunners who do a lot better against armour, but that deficiency aside you can do okay in this battle I think. I think you need to just grind the cavalry charges out in hand-to-hand with superior infantry numbers - don't be afraid to throw away your entire reinforcing army to achieve this, I think. Save the limited cavalry you have to go and kill all the Hellcannons as the Chaos forces leave them undefended at the rear. Pistoliers can actually be useful for this but the reiksguard and demigryphs could be usefully employed in that role too, before swinging around to hit the engaged main forces.

Well the second army is basically the army I've had all game, and I've never had a lot of experience vs Chaos to know who to use. But I'm not afraid to lose the army, these are two big stacks with two of their main leadership, If I get rid of them I can solidify and re-colonize the north areas they've been ravaging and gently caress them up. Especially since I got rid of Sigvald and their centaur giant thing.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I also like using artillery on troll units since you can often route them before they even get to your line.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I also like using artillery on troll units since you can often route them before they even get to your line.

One of the problems I have is they keep routing, and then regaining the will to fight. They seem to do this far more often than any other army I've faced, quite often 4-5 times in a single battle.. Vampires were honestly the best about this, since their dudes had the decency to just fall apart once the lord was taken out.

EDIT: Also, should I even be casting anything but Net at this point? Or should I be saving all my points for it?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Onmi posted:

One of the problems I have is they keep routing, and then regaining the will to fight. They seem to do this far more often than any other army I've faced, quite often 4-5 times in a single battle.. Vampires were honestly the best about this, since their dudes had the decency to just fall apart once the lord was taken out.

EDIT: Also, should I even be casting anything but Net at this point? Or should I be saving all my points for it?

You could probably kill Archaon by just spamming shem's burning gaze at him, but it kind of requires a pegasus to be used consistently.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Yukitsu posted:

You could probably kill Archaon by just spamming shem's burning gaze at him, but it kind of requires a pegasus to be used consistently.

If you've got a foot-limited Light Wizard then just getting good angles on troop melees and firing Shem's Burning Gaze into those can be better. You can rack up hundreds of kills that way.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I'd send Karl Franz to deal with the Hellcannons. Your Demigriffs are too slow and too precious for that duty. Depending on how far they have to trudge the hellcannons will likely be left behind if you wait for the right time. Use your cavalry for rear charges. You might also be able to use the pistoliers to attack the hellcannons, be sure to set them on skirmish mode.

Your crossbowmen and pistoliers won't do jack against those chaos warriors. Focus fire the chaos spawn, trolls and giants.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jul 4, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I mean... I did it. Franz went down, But I lost very few actual units. The winds of Magic locked at 7 so I actually wasn't expecting the run to go as well as it did. Took out both lords. Eventually had to chase down the last three hell cannons which never arrived. My three steam tanks survived. I've had to hire another lord but now I know to recruit Halberdier users and Handgunners to fight Chaos.

Yeesh I took a hammering. Wiped out both stacks though, and founded another settlement to begin the healing.

Oh gently caress right off game!

Onmi fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 4, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Whoa there lil Adolf learn a lesson from ze Germans and stop fighting multi front wars of aggression. Pick a direction you want to expand and go all out until you hit a good, natural defensible province. Youve got like 5-6 cumulative stacks spread out because of all your expansion that are all functionally neutered. None can move forward on their own.

2 good stacks can defeat every faction if picked apart right and 3 can absolutely steamroll. Condense your forces and go all out.

I mean, the Empire does seem pretty German...

I should have clarified that I controlled all of the Brettonian territories to the Southern tip of the map- the Marienland and Brettonian half-stacks were purely defense against backdoor Skaelings and Savage Orcs.

You're probably right that going North and East at the same time was greedy though.

I finally stopped bitching and finished the Empire campaign.

I was wondering if, especially after the patch, there are any 'no-brainer' mods that people recommend. I've seen a couple mentioned in this thread that buff magic and items, but I'm wary because I vaguely remember getting burned by mods on past TW games that hosed the balance and added stormtroopers to the loading screens or something.

ZigZag
Aug 1, 2004

Good reactions etc..
Are there any mods that lets you play a coop campaign where both players is chaos warriors?

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008
Someone explain this to me because total war game logic and ai is frustrating enough and previous to this medieval 2 is the latest i've played. I start a chaos campaign with kholek and hang out and do some stuff until about turn 20ish when I get a mission to sack a dwarf city. I'm down for that and Kholek has a full army near praag so we go into march stance and beeline north. I get within attack range of the city and end turn. The dwarves then attack me with a full stack during the ai turn. Not sure how or why, but it was an underground battle. How the dwarves lured my army down there is anyones guess, but whatever.

Now, because they attacked me I'd like to assume a nice defensive position in battle, which I had on a nice hill. Dwarves had an ok army with plenty of crossbows and rifles and a grudge thrower and yet they do not attack during battle despite the fact they initiated combat. I fast forward waiting for their army to move, which never happens and then the time runs out. And I lose somehow. Not only do I lose the battle without losing a single soldier, but I lost the game. That was the end of the campaign. Back to the main menu.

WHAT?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I'm guessing rather than actually attacking you, the dwarf army was attempting to move past you using the underway, and you got a chance to intercept (making you the attacker). And yeah, an army that loses an underground battle is wiped out.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
As peer suggested I think you intercepted an underway dwarf army (movement underground). If this happens you have the option to engage them, or let them pass. The pre-battle screen on the campaign map will look similar to any other battle (zoom in on the 2 armies, show the strength bay, show all units involved in the battle) but it will specifically say YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO INTERCEPT THIS UNDERWAY ARMY. You can turn down the option to engage these intercepts (same with ambush battles).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I like how savage orc hordes routinely respawn ; it's a nice source of exp and can be a credible threat if you ignore them too long.

I got a mod that gives a variant of Slayers that use rifles in ranged age hammers in melee. They're awesome because you can stick em up front to shoot approaching monsters.

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

peer posted:

I'm guessing rather than actually attacking you, the dwarf army was attempting to move past you using the underway, and you got a chance to intercept (making you the attacker). And yeah, an army that loses an underground battle is wiped out.

This is what happened 100% no foolin'. I remember my first playthrough of the game. I was VC and i had a single vampire lord commander garrisoned in Drakenhof, suddenly im attacked! But.. but how did that dwarf scum attack me through the walls?? Why didn't i see him comming?? and why is my lord alone?? Only later did i learn that was the lord having a chance to intercept the dwarfen army which was just passing by. :hurr:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Gejnor posted:

This is what happened 100% no foolin'. I remember my first playthrough of the game. I was VC and i had a single vampire lord commander garrisoned in Drakenhof, suddenly im attacked! But.. but how did that dwarf scum attack me through the walls?? Why didn't i see him comming?? and why is my lord alone?? Only later did i learn that was the lord having a chance to intercept the dwarfen army which was just passing by. :hurr:

:byodood: YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
*Dies from hundreds of cannonballs to the face*

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Amoxicilina posted:

Someone explain this to me because total war game logic and ai is frustrating enough and previous to this medieval 2 is the latest i've played. I start a chaos campaign with kholek and hang out and do some stuff until about turn 20ish when I get a mission to sack a dwarf city. I'm down for that and Kholek has a full army near praag so we go into march stance and beeline north. I get within attack range of the city and end turn. The dwarves then attack me with a full stack during the ai turn. Not sure how or why, but it was an underground battle. How the dwarves lured my army down there is anyones guess, but whatever.

Now, because they attacked me I'd like to assume a nice defensive position in battle, which I had on a nice hill. Dwarves had an ok army with plenty of crossbows and rifles and a grudge thrower and yet they do not attack during battle despite the fact they initiated combat. I fast forward waiting for their army to move, which never happens and then the time runs out. And I lose somehow. Not only do I lose the battle without losing a single soldier, but I lost the game. That was the end of the campaign. Back to the main menu.

WHAT?

How were you planning on playing defensively as chaos against dwarves with lots of ranged and artillery anyway? Even if you weren't intercepting and had been on defence, unless your army was like 50% hellcannons the AI could have just sat back and shot you to poo poo until you attacked.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

I got a mod that gives a variant of Slayers that use rifles in ranged age hammers in melee. They're awesome because you can stick em up front to shoot approaching monsters.
This is so wrong it hurts.

The only acceptable ranged weapons for slayers are more axes. :colbert:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Safety Factor posted:

This is so wrong it hurts.

The only acceptable ranged weapons for slayers are more axes. :colbert:

there is one exception and that is long drong's slayer pirates

Amoxicilina
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Beans posted:

As peer suggested I think you intercepted an underway dwarf army (movement underground). If this happens you have the option to engage them, or let them pass. The pre-battle screen on the campaign map will look similar to any other battle (zoom in on the 2 armies, show the strength bay, show all units involved in the battle) but it will specifically say YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO INTERCEPT THIS UNDERWAY ARMY. You can turn down the option to engage these intercepts (same with ambush battles).
This sounds like I need to pay better attention in the future. I'm just so used to battles being ai initiated when they occur during the ai turn.

Wafflecopper posted:

How were you planning on playing defensively as chaos against dwarves with lots of ranged and artillery anyway? Even if you weren't intercepting and had been on defence, unless your army was like 50% hellcannons the AI could have just sat back and shot you to poo poo until you attacked.
Well, I had a very nice hill advantage for one. They would've needed to march across most of the map and up the hill to be within range and have unobstructed missile fire, save for the one grudge thrower. I would've waited until they were advancing up the incline and charged down the hill. Seems like a sound tactic anyway.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

President Ark posted:

there is one exception and that is long drong's slayer pirates
Who doesn't love those guys? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So, something I'm not sure on, when Chaos loots a town it turns into a portal for more chaos forces? yes?

I need to solidify my hold on the main continent and then finally start moving north. I'm so glad this game doesn't have a turn limit. Turn 114 and I have the entire "Empire" minus the Border princes down south and those other groups. In theory anyway, because Chaos keeps wrecking towns and I'm in the red now because a lot of them had money, so I can't support the armies I've had to raise. I need to do some restructuring and them get them the gently caress off my lawn.

• Locked thread