Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Not Operator posted:

Its unfair to mock him for his looks. Instead, mock him for his weird jelly hand clap, the way he apparently tries to lap water out of a glass like an animal, and mostly for his numerous lovely opinions and failures.

That includes his inability to pleasure a woman.

I'll have you know that gove is a big fan of "real ale and real women"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Breath Ray posted:

Easy mate, we shouldn't judge ppl on their appearance.

That's completely true, but Gove is just so unbelievably unphotogenic(and reprehensible as a person) that I can't stop myself.

EDIT: it's like he's unsure how to be a loving human being, the lizard people have arrived and they are apparently lovely at disguises contrary to expectation

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 4, 2016

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I hadn't seen this before:

https://youtu.be/-1JUztMcg9A

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Lol

https://twitter.com/youngvulgarian/status/749999355717976065

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

"my good friend george galloway"

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Like most ministers, Gove is OK when you get to know him. Some bold ideas that he stuck to at the cost of his job. Cummings not so likeable but brainier and angrier.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

qhat posted:

"my good friend george galloway"

more neoliberals trying to smear corbyn by association

https://twitter.com/BarristerSecret/status/750001808181977088

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Can anyone explain to me why there's a massive witchhunt for antisemitism in the UK?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TheRat posted:

Can anyone explain to me why there's a massive witchhunt for antisemitism in the UK?

Corbyn Bad

In other news

quote:

A majority of Labour’s new members would support the deselection of MPs who persistently criticise their party’s leadership, new polling suggests.

A study by academics at Queen Mary University and Sussex University established that 55 per cent of Labour members who joined after May 2015 would support such measures.

Professor Tim Bale, one of the study's authors, wrote: "These people, then, are Jezza’s bezzas - his praetorian guard, if you like. And - surely rather alarmingly if you are one of those Labour MPs who isn’t content to hold your tongue - they seem open to using the prospect of deselection to ensure that there is a price to pay for badmouthing the dear leader."

Sounds pretty even-handed!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

pointsofdata posted:

Or if you're Jezza, then you get to watch the fascist chuck the glass at a black man, tut tut quietly, but be happy inside because the glass was made by a neoliberal.

We all know that Jezza secretly likes donning a facemask and bashing the fash

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

TheRat posted:

It is a Jewish conspiracy.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

TheRat posted:

The right dont like jews and the left don't like Israel.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jezza has a long history of criticising the party leadership (and rightly so!). Thankfully the new labour leadership are less tolerant of dissent and will purge the neoliberal globalists to purify the party.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

Yinlock posted:

That's completely true, but Gove is just so unbelievably unphotogenic(and reprehensible as a person) that I can't stop myself.

He was put up for adoption as a baby and... well... things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome do exist. So, y'know, draw your own conclusions on how morally ok it is to criticize the man for his face.

His beliefs however...

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Breath Ray posted:

the left don't like Israel.

So it's literally just people pretending that not liking Israel equals antisemitism? That sounds like something US would do, I would have thought better of UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

TheRat posted:

Because it's bad for Corbyn.

Also because Ken Livingstone cannot Hitler for more than a Zionism without Hitler Zionism is Hitler. And it is expedient for the centrists to make sure that this represents the entire left.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Desiderata posted:

He was put up for adoption as a baby and... well... things like Fetal Alcohol Syndrome do exist. So, y'know, draw your own conclusions on how morally ok it is to criticize the man for his face.

His beliefs however...

Nice!

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

TheRat posted:

So it's literally just people pretending that not liking Israel equals antisemitism? That sounds like something US would do, I would have thought better of UK.

Some people also use Zionists as a euphemism for Jews, and other less racist people have in the recent past been a little careless with their choice and sourcing of phrasing

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

TheRat posted:

More accurately, it is a symptom of the left (not limited to the UK) being unwilling to discuss issues like Israel, immigration, the parts of Islam that subjugate women - hate gays etc without hurling the racism straw man. Lots of the labour left are anti-zionist to various degrees and the Blairites are not and pull the 'u racist' card every time anyone mentions Israel. It is the left in general, not just the UK.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

pointsofdata posted:

Jezza has a long history of criticising the party leadership (and rightly so!). Thankfully the new labour leadership are less tolerant of dissent and will purge the neoliberal globalists to purify the party.

If the PLP were disagreeing with specific Corbyn policies like he did with other party leaders, that would be one thing. It's not like he spent his years as a backbencher coming up with increasingly stupid plots to sabotage the party or yelling "Kinnock/Smith/Blair/Brown/Miliband bad!" without explanation.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Guavanaut posted:

Because it's bad for Corbyn.

Also because Ken Livingstone cannot Hitler for more than a Zionism without Hitler Zionism is Hitler. And it is expedient for the centrists to make sure that this represents the entire left.

even so he still completely clowned Umunna in a hearing where Umunna could ask whatever loaded questions he wanted

in the end Umunna went out on a petulant little speech which ended with him being asked if there was a question somewhere in there and Livingstone just laughing at him

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

TheRat posted:

That sounds like something US would do, I would have thought better of UK.

I have literally no idea why you would think this. I mean, you're looking at a country that just left the european union because moslems.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Fans posted:

There's a limit to how long the PLP can stall a leadership contest. I do like the idea of Labout finally supporting Strike Action though :haw:
Is there, though? What's actually stopping them from just perpetually threatening to hold a leadership contest, any day now?

Breath Ray posted:

I really think some of you are being a bit glass half empty about the referendum result.
:siren: Boris Johnson spotted :siren:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36700468 posted:

Brexit: Set out positives of leaving, Boris Johnson urges

Boris Johnson has accused the government of failing to explain how the vote to leave the EU can be made to work in the UK's interests.
Yes, not only is dear BoJo expecting the government to have formed a plan in case his side won, he's now expecting the government to come up with reasons why a Leave win is a good thing, presumably because he can't loving come up with any himself.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

even so he still completely clowned Umunna in a hearing where Umunna could ask whatever loaded questions he wanted

in the end Umunna went out on a petulant little speech which ended with him being asked if there was a question somewhere in there and Livingstone just laughing at him

ex-Labour politician publicly humiliates black man, TIBFJC

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
leave voters are morons im extremely ho

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

It's not nice, it's a pretty horrible thing to even think. I realize even bringing it up as a possibility sounds like a cheap playground dis. But yeah, if you do think about it in that context, laughing at the man for his face is pretty uncomfortable.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

95% of people I've spoken to IRL who voted leave citing DEMOCRACY are unable to name a single piece of EU legislation or even know anything about the EU parliament.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

"The Guardian posted:

A senior Labour source, close to the embattled leader, said they had blocked Watson from talking privately to Corbyn because they have a “duty of care”. “They [Watson’s aides] want Watson to be on his own with Corbyn so that he can jab his finger at him,” the source said.

“We are not letting that happen. He’s a 70-year-old [sic] man. We have a duty of care … This is not a one-off. There is a culture of bullying. Maybe it’s a Blairite/Brownite thing.”

I think Corbyn might be cracking under pressure at this point. Starting to feel bad for him now.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TheRat posted:

There isn't, they just use it as a club to beat lefties.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

OldMemes posted:

I think Corbyn might be cracking under pressure at this point. Starting to feel bad for him now.

i think the guardian might be peddling whole cloth bullshit again tbh

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

TheRat posted:

A long-time Corbyn ally who should know better went and said some stuff that was very easy to spin into a controversy. Another Labour MP (John Mann) took the opportunity to find this ally and shout YOU'RE A NAZI soundbites at him repeatedly while a TV crew filmed it. Of course this ended up leading the news, making Labour look bad and forcing Corbyn to take the heat

Corbyn went and ordered an inquiry, putting a prominent human rights campaigner and lawyer in charge of the investigation, giving her completely free rein to investigate and to set a very high bar, not just looking at anti-semitism but bullying and intimidation in general. She was full of praise for how it was handled, and at the press conference for the final report, Corbyn reiterated some of the report's conclusions - including a bit about not holding ordinary people to account for the actions of states or organisations, because it's nothing to do with them. After all this work, people jumped on this one comment with tweets like CORBYN COMPARES ISRAEL TO ISIS

Basically it's not even criticising Israel that's at issue, that's just being used as another stick to beat Jeremy Corbyn and give him bad press, and it's being used (as usual) by people within his own party, partly to undermine him and partly to elevate them as some kind of moral crusaders. Which is why you've got Chuka pouting when Ken won't answer his 'IS ISRAEL THE WORST Y/N' gotcha questions without going into detail

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 4, 2016

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

OldMemes posted:

Any time it says "A senior Labour Source" the story is bullshit, as proven by it being bullshit literally every other time they've done this.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

OldMemes posted:

Agreed. I mean, did you see the way he lunged at that reporter??

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

baka kaba posted:

A long-time Corbyn ally who should know better went and said some stuff that was very easy to spin into a controversy. Another Labour MP (John Mann) took the opportunity to find this ally and shout YOU'RE A NAZI soundbites at him repeatedly while a TV crew filmed it. Of course this ended up leading the news, making Labour look bad and forcing Corbyn to take the heat

Corbyn went and ordered an inquiry, putting a prominent human rights campaigner and lawyer in charge of the investigation, giving her completely free rein to investigate and to set a very high bar, not just looking at anti-semitism but bullying and intimidation in general. She was full of praise for how it was handled, and at the press conference for the final report, Corbyn reiterated some of the report's conclusions - including a bit about not holding ordinary people to account for the actions of states or organisations, because it's nothing to do with them. After all this work, people jumped on this one comment with tweets like CORBYN COMPARES ISRAEL TO ISIS

Basically it's not even criticising Israel that's at issue, that's just being used as another stick to beat Jeremy Corbyn and give him bad press, and it's being used (as usual) by people within his own party, partly to undermine him and partly to elevate them as some kind of moral crusaders. Which is why you've got Chukka pouting when Ken won't answer his 'IS ISRAEL THE WORST Y/N' gotcha questions without going into detail

When Keith Vaz is the voice of reason in a meeting you know something has gone wrong

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
yeah when they're deliberately misinterpreting (hello pissflaps) words he didn't even write to call him a nazi you start to wonder if maybe just maybe they've got some sort of axe to grind

e:

Not Operator posted:

Agreed. I mean, did you see the way he lunged at that reporter??

this one too

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Everytime I post something on twitter like "EXCLUSIVE: Jeremy Corbyn set to resign tonight" i get at least 5 re-tweets from people i've never seen before, it's funny

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
If Corbyn had a plan to reunite the party rather than 'do nothing' and 'ignore reporters' it might help people to know the leader is a bit more pro-active. Momentum just seem to be accusing everyone of being a Blairite, no matter how mild the criticism of Corbyn an MP makes (at this rate, they'll run out of people to accuse and call Corbyn a Blairite).

It's getting embrassing now. Corbyn has an important role to play in Labour and the left, but its not as leader. He should go where his talents lie, rather than been out of his depth.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
I heard a personal anecdote about Gove today. Apparently he drinks, but he can't hold his liquor and can't keep secrets and just starts spilling policy and privileged information after a glass or two.

I wonder why Rupert Murdoch has him round for dinner so often!?

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Fans posted:

Any time it says "A senior Labour Source" the story is bullshit, as proven by it being bullshit literally every other time they've done this.

That particular story is four days old, it's well past dead.

OldMemes posted:

If Corbyn had a plan to reunite the party rather than 'do nothing' and 'ignore reporters' it might help people to know the leader is a bit more pro-active. Momentum just seem to be accusing everyone of being a Blairite, no matter how mild the criticism of Corbyn an MP makes (at this rate, they'll run out of people to accuse and call Corbyn a Blairite).

It's getting embrassing now. Corbyn has an important role to play in Labour and the left, but its not as leader. He should go where his talents lie, rather than been out of his depth.

Maybe if there wasn't a plan to practically dissolve the party from Corbyn's whingiest critics this wouldn't have happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

OldMemes posted:

Hate to say it friend but Labour is hosed and it's not Corbyn's fault he's surrounded by career politicians looking for the next back to stab.

• Locked thread