Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

dex_sda posted:

How do you reconcile that with the fact that you want the only person who can currently reasonably claim to have a mandate to resign?

He's the only person with such a mandate: leadership election processes select a single person. I want him to resign because he's bad at the job he was elected to do.

I'm not sure why you think this is contradictory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Pissflaps posted:

Because winning the Labour leadership does not directly correlate with the ability to lead Labour or win a general election.

He's the Boaty McBoatface of political appointees.

A beacon of knowledge and understanding, patiently moving forward, breaking through the stubborn ice that stands between him and his destination? Unexpectedly high praise, especially from a non-Labour boater

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

dex_sda posted:

How do you reconcile that with the fact that you want the only person who can currently reasonably claim to have a mandate to resign?
Necessary but not sufficient.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Good thread boys. Love having the same dumb argument with pissflaps 50 times in a week.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pissflaps posted:

He's the only person with such a mandate: leadership election processes select a single person. I want him to resign because he's bad at the job he was elected to do.

What bad did corbin?

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

qhat posted:

95% of people I've spoken to IRL who voted leave citing DEMOCRACY are unable to name a single piece of EU legislation or even know anything about the EU parliament.

I found one who went on about fishing, they didn't understand anything about fishing nor do they fish themself, but the know that our fish industry is robbed by Spain. They could not explain how.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Suggesting that democractric processes don't always produce the best result isn't usually a difficult concept for this thread to grasp.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I heard back from my MP on Corbs. He confirms what he wrote in the local rag, voted to support him, but thinks his position has become untenable, would welcome a leadership election.

I asked him to clarify two things, whether he thinks it's the PLP's fault, which is implied but not stated, and what he thinks would happen if there was such an election and Corbyn won.

gently caress's sake can the PLP just get over themselves and do their drat jobs?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What is their job?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
standard life has suspended redemptions on it's $2bn UK property fund

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...4b0243071e32bea

lmao

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Pissflaps posted:

Suggesting that democractric processes don't always produce the best result isn't usually a difficult concept for this thread to grasp.

:golfclap: Don't worry, someone at the guardian will legal-gymnastic a way that suggests his leadership was illegal to begin with before too long.

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010

"Corbyn's such a bad leader he's not even in this poll, any other labour leader would be storming them."

Sorry about that, I'm a medium and I sometimes get possessed by the PLP

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

coffeetable posted:

standard life has suspended redemptions on it's $2bn UK property fund

lmao

Lol

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
Massive after market news - Standard Life has suspended trading in its UK Real Estate fund.

https://twitter.com/econbuttonwood/status/749990990153453568/photo/1

Likely due to significant attempts to withdraw from the fund, and thus putting it at risk due to they are difficult to get money out of. Think similar funds closing up were one of the first warning signs in 2007.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Seems like they're expecting a big property crash.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Pissflaps posted:

What is their job?

Opposing the loving government. Or it was, until they ran away from it like petulant children who didn't want to do their homework.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I only keep up with this thread sparingly: has Labour come up with a single likely candidate to better lead the party than Corbyn? Or has it been repeated FUD and calls to resign, then complaints at lack of confidence in him due to his refusal to resign?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thespaceinvader posted:

Opposing the loving government. Or it was, until they ran away from it like petulant children who didn't want to do their homework.

I believe their job is to represent their constituents.

Something presumably a lot of them feel they could do better with somebody else leading the party they're a member of.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

baka kaba posted:

It sure is OldMemes

I've got a lot of fools on ignore at this point, has anyone unironically trotted out the old "he's making a mockery of the game" stick?

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I only keep up with this thread sparingly: has Labour come up with a single likely candidate to better lead the party than Corbyn? Or has it been repeated FUD and calls to resign, then complaints at lack of confidence in him due to his refusal to resign?

Piisflaps got this. He's got lots of good ideas

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Angela Eagle has been coming close to announcing she was running and then giving Corbyn a few more days to think about it for a week now.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The Parliamentary Labour Party passed a vote of no confidence against Corbyn last week, but have still to officially name a single candidate to challenge Corbyn in a leadership contest. Since then, Corbyn has received lots of bad press because he refuses to resign owing to an overwhelming mandate from labour party members, a mandate which will likely crush any other candidate in a contest.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

qhat posted:

so the problem with open-ended property funds is that it takes ages to sell a house, but investors can demand a redemption with a day's notice

typically funds keep >20% of their value in cash to avoid this kind of thing. but guess what's dropped by >20% in the last week! that's right: everything remotely related to uk property

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Pissflaps posted:

I believe their job is to represent their constituents.

Something presumably a lot of them feel they could do better with somebody else leading the party they're a member of.

That's their role as an MP, if they feel that Labour no longer offers their constituents the best they can get then perhaps they should consider leaving or actually having a loving challenger to say is better than Jeremy Corbyn.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nope. They are all cowards, or allies of Corbyn's as they realise what the wider PLP is doing is loving stupid.

Eagle is poo poo and will be crucified in the media unfortunately if she was leader. There are good leadership candidates in Labour but they all realise its idiotic to try to take the job like this - as anyone with enough ability to run a political party should realise.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Of course they haven't, there isn't one. It's all just pre-chilcot white noise.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Certainly they can't find anyone who is likely to win against him, and nobody who will dare try and get absolutely crushed.

Bizzarely the man who persists in carrying out his democratic mandate in the face of adversity is a weak leader while the people who won't put their career on the line for what they believe in or organize a coup with the support of the media and the better part of a year to plan, insist that they would be better at the job.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pissflaps posted:

This is going a bit into the math of voting, but an above 50% approval rate (which Corbyn is at now) in elections for more than 2 candidates implies a possible Condorcet winner, which is the most overwhelming mandate, something rarely heard of in most democratic votes, and simultaneously something of a democratic choice's ideal. This implication is fully confirmed by actual 1v1 polls about the Labour leadership.

Also, his percentages improved during the time he was leader, until this shitshow with the PLP! His mandate is so strong, it is ludicrous to claim anyone else would have it if he resigned.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/55f4a6f6-3eab-11e6-9f2c-36b487ebd80a.html#axzz4DSjCSS6M

quote:

Student loan debt rose £12.6bn, or 17 per cent, to £86.2bn in the past year, as the first cohort of students to pay higher fees graduated.
Graduates who paid fees of up to £9,000 a year are estimated to have left university with an average of £44,000 of debt, compared with the average £16,200 of debt faced by those who graduated five years earlier.
The rise in student loan debt balanced out a fall in other household debt and leaves new graduates even more poorly placed than their predecessors when it comes to getting on to the housing ladder.
Household debt fell relative to household income in the first quarter of 2016 using a measure of debt that excludes student loans, according to analysis provided to the Financial Times by NatWest. But once student loan debt is included, debt remained constant relative to income.
About 70 per cent of students who left university last year are expected never to finish repaying their loans, according to modelling carried out by the Institute for Fiscal Studies. Instead they will have to make repayments for 30 years before then having the unpaid loan written off.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
gently caress it guys, i'll run for Lab leader on a platform of replacing the current manifesto with the 1848 Communist Manifesto. We'll figure out specific policies as we go forward, but always guided by the spirit of Marx (pbuh).

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

lol

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Oberleutnant posted:

gently caress it guys, i'll run for Lab leader on a platform of replacing the current manifesto with the 1848 Communist Manifesto. We'll figure out specific policies as we go forward, but always guided by the spirit of Marx (pbuh).

I'd vote for you.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

woa

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

qhat posted:

Awesome . Lets see the old fucks who voted for this get it really stuck to them :getin:

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Awesome . Lets see the old fucks who voted for this get it really stuck to them :getin:

My dad was saying to me yesterday that he's keen to maintain the value of his property

Ironic, considering he voted leave because of musli- I mean democracy

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Ah cool another xenophobic piece of poo poo tory, or someone prepared to pander to them. Marvellous.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

my favourite kind of graduate tax is a regressive graduate tax

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The hell is this in response to?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

qhat posted:

For what it's worth, that's a fund that invests in commercial property, not residential property - its investors want to sell because they're anticipating a recession that will reduce demand for things like office space, not housing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

As a 25 yo homeowner :aaaaa:

• Locked thread