Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
So I just fnished the game. I didn't... miss a scene that established Delta was there the whole time, right? The first time I saw any mention of him being there was when I chose him in the Mexican standoff. Then I had to tell Eric who Zero actually was and that showed him for real.

Overall I enjoyed the game but feel like stuff with Delta was pretty unnecessary. There's no reason to say Carlos/Sean/Diana chose bad decisions because someone was literally controlling them, we have an infinite number of worlds and surely they would have done it on their own in some of them. Delta could've just been some guy in Dcom that wasn't present until they started pointing fingers and it would've made more sense then everyone conveniently not mentioning him.

Also I'm annoyed that Akane was never called out on the poo poo she pulled a year ago. When Delta is talking about all the other timelines and how it was for his ultimate plan, he could've perfectly justified it by saying she did the exact same thing. In general she just seemed a little too oblivious to the stuff going on. Would she really expect to reason with someone calling themselves Zero after she played the same role?

edit: Also at one point Zero left a recording saying he was killed by Carlos in that timeline, but when did that happen?

Momomo fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Momomo posted:

So I just fnished the game. I didn't... miss a scene that established Delta was there the whole time, right? The first time I saw any mention of him being there was when I chose him in the Mexican standoff. Then I had to tell Eric who Zero actually was and that showed him for real.

There are lots of "obvious in retrospect" hints, but no, it's supposed to be a complete surprise.

I think the ones that could most reasonably make a player suspicious are the scenes where the other teams talk about Q-team's deaths, and specifically the way they talk about Q; if you pay attention the things they say about Q make no sense if Q is Sean. I've never heard anyone say that they picked up on those, though.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Momomo posted:

There is a long post about this topic on reddit.

Momomo posted:

edit: Also at one point Zero left a recording saying he was killed by Carlos in that timeline, but when did that happen?

He chose to execute Q team instead of D team liked planned in that timeline.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Meiteron posted:

This is actually one of the more disappointing things, for me, about how the plot turned out in ZTD.

Something which VLR hinted at was that the whole notion of BW as an observer had a bit of moral ambiguity to it.

The VLR epilogue, which is the only part of the game that directly hints at BW's existence in the story, doesn't actually unlock after seeing the "true" ending. What you actually had to do to access it was see everything before that point, which usually meant going back to the few decisions that were skipped because they were obvious Bad End decisions, and doing them anyway.

While wrapping up those loose ends in VLR, I started thinking about how the story structure of VLR (and 999, to a more restrictive degree) allowed you to essentially see all the written outcomes without penalty. So you can make the choices that get people killed and then blithely skip off to a different section of the story where that never happened, where it didn't matter.

Now, look at ZTD, where all the decisions are often worse, and the outcomes often worse for some of the characters, but the same lack of connection to the decisions themselves by the player is the same. Oh, I just shot Sigma in the head. Oh, I just let Phi burn to death. Oh look, Sigma made it out this time! Sure, I'll press this button in the decontamination room. Ewww! Now, time to look over here instesad...

This led to a great moment in one of the decon rooms when I have Diana push the button to see what plot was on the other side of that decision and she starts freaking out saying she didn't push the button herself. Everything about Diana as a character supports the idea that she would never push that button, so someone else clearly did. The kicker is that there isn't even a point to the alternate paths branching from the decon room - they're on their own separate timeline and are cut off almost immediately after the decision is made, and nothing in them feeds you information you need to get to the actual "true" ending. So given what I knew of the VLR epilogue and how it emphasized the observer was going to be important in ZTD, my reaction at this point was "oh poo poo, BW and by extension myself just killed a bunch of people for no reason beyond curiosity what the gently caress".

Where I thought this was going was that the overall direction of the game was going to make BW and by extension the player themselves the actual antagonist driving the plot. How, why, I didn't know yet, but previous games had tackled crazy enough concepts that I figured they'd be able to make it workable if that's where they're going. Turns out that wasn't where they're going and it was just mind control. I mean, okay, but that's still a bit of a letdown, personally.

999 and VLR both have some pretty trippy concepts about time travel and psychic information, but they're also written so that practically the entire plot of each game is spent justifying those concepts and explaining the internal logic of how they work, even if you don't realize that's what was happening until the very end. Delta walking out a door in the last act and saying "I can read, and control, human minds" comes out of nowhere and the player is expected to just take that on faith, which is why it didn't have the same impact to me.

I wonder if Uchikoshi originally wanted to do more with BW/? as alluded to in VLR but changed his mind to go with mind hacking instead. I think directly implicating the player as an amoral/morally gray external force toying with the characters would have been a more interesting crux for the game as a whole, even if just to point out the players' hypocrisy for hating on Delta toying with lives when you've been doing the same thing the whole time more or less.

Relegating this moral quandary to the characters right before the game ends with SHIFTing was a bad way to execute that. It would have been better structured if these concerns came up in VLR before hand IMO.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

NRVNQSR posted:

I think the ones that could most reasonably make a player suspicious are the scenes where the other teams talk about Q-team's deaths, and specifically the way they talk about Q; if you pay attention the things they say about Q make no sense if Q is Sean. I've never heard anyone say that they picked up on those, though.
I didn't notice those specific hints, but there was something more general that bothered me - it's clear from the "Payoff" end and the way Eric reacts at the start that nobody knows who the gently caress the little boy with the helmet is. So why do the people from the other teams act like they know who "Q" is in the rest of the game?

I assumed it was just a plothole though

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

There in retrospect, a whole lot of weird things that go on in Q-Team's cutscenes that don't quite make sense if you consider Sean as Q. They do however make perfect sense if Delta is Q.
-After Sean shoots Eric in the study, Mira gets mad and aims her gun. There's a gunshot, a thump as Delta hits the ground, then fires again and shoots Sean.
-When Eric kills everyone if you give the wrong answer before the reveal, there are 4 gunshots. One for Sean, one for Sigma, one for Diana, and one for Delta.
-In the Reality fragment, Q is announced as dead, as Sean lies supposedly dead on the floor and talking after Mira stabs Eric. Delta however had already been stabbed and is dead.
-In Zero's study, there is a Matroskya Doll as the symbol for Sean. The other 8 dolls on the board are shown on the Team Status screen. Q's however is never filled in, indicating its not Sean.

There are more subtle hints, but with that being said, there is in fact one cutscene before the big reveal that explicitly spoils Q's true identity, and it is done in such a sneaky, underhanded, yet logically consistent manner that you may completely miss it. If you go to the Team Status screen in the Twins ending, Q & Phi's status will in fact change from being "Dead" to "Alive" after Diana gives birth.

Momomo posted:

Overall I enjoyed the game but feel like stuff with Delta was pretty unnecessary. There's no reason to say Carlos/Sean/Diana chose bad decisions because someone was literally controlling them, we have an infinite number of worlds and surely they would have done it on their own in some of them. Delta could've just been some guy in Dcom that wasn't present until they started pointing fingers and it would've made more sense then everyone conveniently not mentioning him.

Eh. It helped their characterization, and the game has a running theme on parasites, possession, etc.

Momomo posted:

Also I'm annoyed that Akane was never called out on the poo poo she pulled a year ago. When Delta is talking about all the other timelines and how it was for his ultimate plan, he could've perfectly justified it by saying she did the exact same thing. In general she just seemed a little too oblivious to the stuff going on. Would she really expect to reason with someone calling themselves Zero after she played the same role?

The major difference is that Akane in the second Nonary game actually set it up so that it could be beaten without anyone dying. That it failed to happen...is more of an indictment on Ace/Nine/Captain guy then Akane or Zero.

Momomo posted:

That was the timeline in which Carlos and Diana both voted for Q-Team. Eric, Mira, Sean, and Delta were all executed by bomb collars in accordance with the vote.

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013
This is real pedantic question but why was Delta's wheelchair (& by association Delta) chained up in the computer room in Q's Contamination ending? Did he do it himself so as not to be dragged out by Eric and Mira?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I didn't notice those specific hints, but there was something more general that bothered me - it's clear from the "Payoff" end and the way Eric reacts at the start that nobody knows who the gently caress the little boy with the helmet is. So why do the people from the other teams act like they know who "Q" is in the rest of the game?

I assumed it was just a plothole though

C & D teams never immediately recognize Sean.
-Team D is shocked to see a small child on the other side of the decontamination room door, where Q team was positioned during the VLR ending.
-Team C doesn't recognize evil Sean when it attacks them for cheating, and Carlos makes a few revelations on how he's acting completely different after he shifts to the reveal timeline.

C & D Team recognize Delta, because he was in the DCOM experiment. He's mentioned in a few spots by the different team members.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jul 4, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

The major difference is that Akane in the second Nonary game actually set it up so that it could be beaten without anyone dying. That it failed to happen...is more of an indictment on Ace/Nine/Captain guy then Akane or Zero.

She knew everything that was going to happen though and didn't even bother trying to stop it. Her plan hinged on multiple timelines even. While maybe not exactly the same as Delta, Akane definitely has blood on her hands.

Also I don't recall an explanation for how Mira was able to kill D team in that one timeline (with her sheet still on for... some reason). Did her knockout drugs just conveniently wear off sooner or something?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

Also I don't recall an explanation for how Mira was able to kill D team in that one timeline (with her sheet still on for... some reason). Did her knockout drugs just conveniently wear off sooner or something?

Zero never drugged Mira, and kind of let her do whatever she wanted to some extent over the course of the game. The only time that he ever really took retaliatory action against her was when she killed Junpei in cold storage in one timeline.

He brought her in to be a piranha in the tank of fish, to allow for agitation and force the fish to...reproduce.

This is explicitly laid out during the reveal cutscene.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 4, 2016

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

Momomo posted:

She knew everything that was going to happen though and didn't even bother trying to stop it. Her plan hinged on multiple timelines even. While maybe not exactly the same as Delta, Akane definitely has blood on her hands.

If I recall right, Delta revealed that he didn't actually knock out Mira or did it for a shorter period.

edit: too slow.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

This is explicitly laid out during the reveal cutscene.

He said he didn't give her the memory drugs, not that he didn't knock her out. Sure you can take that as an implication that he did neither, but absence of information is a huge thing in this game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

exploding mummy posted:

-Team D is shocked to see a small child on the other side of the decontamination room door, where Q team was positioned during the VLR ending.
-Team C doesn't recognize evil Sean when it attacks them for cheating, and Carlos makes a few revelations on how he's acting completely different after he shifts to the reveal timeline.

C & D Team recognize Delta, because he was in the DCOM experiment. He's mentioned in a few spots by the different team members.

Right at the beginning of the game, there's a cutscene where Eric mentions "the old man in the wheelchair." But it is so buried after that, I didn't even bother to question it until Delta is shown on screen.

I did, however, pick up on Phi being Diana's daughter the second I noticed she had red eyebrows. (This was, incidentally, just before the scene the topic comes up.) And it is pretty obvious that was a plot addition between VLR and ZTD since none of the original conception art has Phi with red eyebrows/lashes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

actually it's been pretty obvious phi was sigma's daughter since VLR

diana being the mother though? who knows

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

exploding mummy posted:

I know, what I meant was before the teams met up they weren't surprised to see the name "Q" on the board. That indicated something was up.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I know, what I meant was before the teams met up they weren't surprised to see the name "Q" on the board. That indicated something was up.

Weren't they told in the Dcom experiment that Delta's name was Q? No one knew his real name even from the get go.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

Weren't they told in the Dcom experiment that Delta's name was Q? No one knew his real name even from the get go.

He's saying he noticed that:

A) No one knew the helmet child

B) No one seemed surprised that Q was listed as playing

And thus suspected something weird was going on, and was ultimately proven to be correct.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MegaZeroX posted:

There is a long post about this topic on reddit.
I dunno if I'd really call most of those "hints". It definitely shows that the writers were thinking about the twist throughout and were able to consistently write around it, but very few actually explicitly grab the player's attention and give them relevant information.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Intoluene posted:

I finished this game a while ago and I never actually realised that Delta was with Q team the whole time. I thought he just happened to show up during the explanation of who he was.
I think the "reveal" was incredibly poorly done. Suddenly there's just an old dude there, and the game doesn't give you any information about how or why. My immediate thought when it happened was that Delta / Q had been there the whole time, but had been using hypnosis / ESP to make people not notice him, or something. Especially if you played VLR, you're primed for some sort of "unreliable narrator" twist where you didn't see something in plain sight - but instead the twist was, uh, an unreliable camera angle?

It desperately needed a "hints you missed" montage right after it happened, with extra shots of Q / Delta actually being in the corner during previous cutscenes or whatever.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 4, 2016

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Momomo posted:

He said he didn't give her the memory drugs, not that he didn't knock her out. Sure you can take that as an implication that he did neither, but absence of information is a huge thing in this game.

It feels like mira gets knocked or not depending entirely on what is most convenient to the story. When the vote executes q team, she gets knocked out because how else would that collar be applied.

In the timeline where they inject themselves with rad 6 she goes loopy because she accidentally gives away that she's off, and goes off to murder d-team in a period where she is supposed to be asleep.

...or maybe the logic is "can do what she wants unless a vote is fatal"?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I think a better question re: Mira is, how did Zero think to set up the puzzle room involving Junpei's corpse? After Mira did it, did he just quickly improvise something?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

:captainpop: oh poo poo.

Well the corpse has different clothes it... could still be fake? Yeah I'm reaching here.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

He exempted her from the usual drug injections. There's no additional qualification if it was just the memory drugs.

Mindblast posted:

:captainpop: oh poo poo.

Well the corpse has different clothes it... could still be fake? Yeah I'm reaching here.

Eh, most of that puzzle doesn't really rely on Junpei's body at all, so lets go with improvise. He could have reprogrammed the door to a different code and wrote a note about looking at Junpei's arm and hid the body parts in the room. Should be asked in the Q&A though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Iirc one of the arms gets thawed so the fist opens and is then used on a scanner. That goes a little beyond improvising.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

He MIND HACKED Mira to do it all. And she went along with it and made a hosed up puzzle.

FruitPunchSamurai fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 4, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mindblast posted:

Iirc one of the arms gets thawed so the fist opens and is then used on a scanner. That goes a little beyond improvising.

Yeah, I forgot. The password unlocks the hand scanner and you use one of the arms. That's a bit iffier to explain as improvising.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

exploding mummy posted:

He exempted her from the usual drug injections. There's no additional qualification if it was just the memory drugs.

I'm pretty sure he explicitly says she wasn't given the memory drug, which means he didn't actually say she was never put to sleep. From the sound of it though it seems like we're supposed to ust assume she wasn't though.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure he explicitly says she wasn't given the memory drug, which means he didn't actually say she was never put to sleep. From the sound of it though it seems like we're supposed to ust assume she wasn't though.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Linguica posted:

I think a better question re: Mira is, how did Zero think to set up the puzzle room involving Junpei's corpse? After Mira did it, did he just quickly improvise something?

Didn't he have an army of little Seans to set up and do what he needed?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Somebody posted the Steam pre-order story on reddit

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

voltcatfish posted:

Somebody posted the Steam pre-order story on reddit

I have the premium booklet if you want screenshots

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

NRVNQSR posted:

There's also always an evil pharmaceutical company. He really seems to have something against the industry.

I think "evil pharmaceutical company" is a really common trope in Japanese fiction, not just with Uchikoshi.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I think "evil pharmaceutical company" is a really common trope in Japanese fiction, not just with Uchikoshi.

well they're a good way to create a biohazard

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Also reality

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

exploding mummy posted:

another thing with the VLR ending; I think Junpei noticed that Q wasn't on the Death Display board right around the time that Akane deciphered the "Together, with me, we are ten" anagram.

oh yeah I don't think he even knew about Sean so I got no idea what was up with that then.

wasn't there some "leftover letters" to that; "LDAET" if the notes I took were correct, what's up with those

I guess this post was more about me wondering about some of that anyway. Carlos had the best "What the gently caress have I done" face during that end bit when akane was knocking out junpei though.

oh and on the subject of over-analyzing things, I noted the letters that were painted on the column in the anagrams:
'g' and part of the 't' (maybe '-'might be more accurate) were on the C note
'h' and a space ' ' were on Q note
'a' and 'z' were on the D note
pretty sure they aren't important in any way, but maybe they could be :shrug:

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jul 5, 2016

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Sigma in the pre story and Sigma in the game seem like completely different people

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

NextTime000 posted:

wasn't there some "leftover letters" to that; "LDAET" if the notes I took were correct, what's up with those
LDAET
DLAET
DLEAT
DELAT
DELTA

Linguica fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 5, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NextTime000 posted:

another thing with the VLR ending; I think Junpei noticed that Q wasn't on the Death Display board right around the time that Akane deciphered the "Together, with me, we are ten" anagram.

oh yeah I don't think he even knew about Sean so I got no idea what was up with that then.

I guess this post was more about me wondering about some of that anyway. Carlos had the best "What the gently caress have I done" face during that end bit when akane was knocking out junpei though.

lets see in "LDAET" you have a "D", an "E", a "L", a "T", and finally an "A"

:iiam:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

The parts I found most ridiculous were the ones where the characters somehow figured those anagrams out in their head.

Also the way they said the time. Nobody says it's "Zero zero zero three".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Linguica posted:

LDAET
DLAET
DLEAT
DELAT
DELTA

exploding mummy posted:

lets see in "LDAET" you have a "D", an "E", a "L", a "T", and finally an "A"

:iiam:
whoops my bad, but gosh you would think she would solve all of that and not just leave those letters sitting around
:ms:

• Locked thread