Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Hang onto it, the market is gonna be booming when nothing happens about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Thing is, I guess Valve can't be held accountable for how players use their virtual skins. So the US Gov't would have to crack down on the third party gambling sites. And then all players have to do is use sites based out of other countries. Can it really be like Black Friday where the sites/programs themselves co-operate to block US-based Steam accounts? Seems almost impossible. Especially since most of these sites are practically just basement run and are incredibly easy to set up.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
SELL SELL SELL

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Goofballs posted:

So steam nuked his site. Good.

I wonder if the guy was proper scamming people. Apart from the game is rigged against you basic scam that is gambling. Like when that moe clown knew the rolls beforehand he was just playing against the site so the issue people had other than promoting gambling to stupid tweeners was just that he was giving people a very misleading notion about the probability of winning. In the latest scandal it looks like he's straight up taking money off strangers because he/they could know the outcome. Unless he owns the accounts he's betting against which is possible.

Actually, the moe thing was legit. The owner of the site could view the rolls, but in no way could manipulate them. No scam to be had.

I think it's less that the sites aren't legitimate in their working/probabilities, it's that they're marketing them in improper ways to kids who are influenced by what they see.

Not to say that if they'd have said "Syndicate and I started our own site, it's legit, we think you'll like it." they would have funneled just as many impressionable young players to lose their skins there.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

yea

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Jeza posted:

Thing is, I guess Valve can't be held accountable for how players use their virtual skins. So the US Gov't would have to crack down on the third party gambling sites. And then all players have to do is use sites based out of other countries. Can it really be like Black Friday where the sites/programs themselves co-operate to block US-based Steam accounts? Seems almost impossible. Especially since most of these sites are practically just basement run and are incredibly easy to set up.

Yeah I think you guys are fooling yourselves if you think the US or even any state district courts are going to step in on this, it's such small potatoes and there are not even any bank transactions to take action on here, because it's all loving pixels. In the case of black Friday the government got cooperation by seizing tons of accounts claiming violations of the wire act. The international sites did not cooperate just because they thought it was the right thing to do. US has even less jurisdiction over loving csgolotto or whatever which I guarantee operates out of some goons basement in a foreign country and likely has zero international banking transactions, much less millions of dollars worth.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

it is cool when nerds foam at the mouth because of the hehe productions guy though

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Will be happy to take any knives people are trying to liquidate before the skinpocalypse for a princely $1

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

EvilBeard posted:

Actually, the moe thing was legit. The owner of the site could view the rolls, but in no way could manipulate them. No scam to be had.

How dense are you? More was given the results of his rolls before he could put down a bet. He knew the outcome before he could place the bet. If you don't think that gives you the ability to scam then do I have some Nigerian gold to sell you grandma.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I switched to 16:9 this weekend after over 10 years of playing on 4:3, feels good to get an ace on it after a short period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILugwMPaGyM&feature=youtu.be

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Google Butt posted:

I didn't watch the vape nation guy vid, but will legal action really be taken against anyone or will the government just shut it down?

There is a class action suit on the go but given that it had a thread on reddit who knows how serious it is.

I really wish valve would cut out the legal fun and games pretending that skins have no value so they aren't responsible for poo poo. The courts might let them with legal jiu jitsu in the short term but in the medium legislation isn't going to look kindly on it. You know in countries that have functioning legislative branches of government like here in the EU.

EvilBeard posted:

No one claimed that his results weren't random just that he knew them in advance. The he would bet the farm on rolls he knew he was going to win to excite the stream and if he knew he was going to lose he would put in some piss amount and give little attention to the outcome. To a totally logical computer person equal weight might be given to all data but to a stupid teenager it looks like winning big is way more common than it is. Like if you bet the farm on a 1% chance over and over and win often its going to look a lot less like a true 1% chance.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jul 4, 2016

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

gigawhite posted:

I do wonder what'll happen to the price of skins if all of these gambling sites get shut down

they will undeniably go down the toilet, along with a sizeable chunk of the playerbase

fortunately, the part of the playerbase that will leave is likely to be the Scholl Canyon Landfill of csgo that care too much about skins

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the only things valve should really be penalized for imo is the crate system which is suspiciously close to gambling, and having some of their majors sponsored/linked somehow to gambling websites. their providing apis and poo poo seems like its out of their hands how its used, especially since there is no real cash in the transaction, just item trades. it still seems like a gray area, but crates are a much darker shade of gray id rather see taken care of first.

i also know its not the point of this debacle but i like how people go "KIDS ARE GETTING HOOKED UP ON GAMBLING" and not addressing that kids shouldn't have had access to the game in the first place. This is neither an excuse nor an argument for gambling, but i only ever see it used like that, and it pisses me off a bit. Hope that after the fallout from skin nonsense that gets looked into.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

The only other loophole I could see Valve using is saying that everyone wins when opening a crate unlike slot machines.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Gambling seems like a harder vice than videogames. Like you might let your 12 year old nephew play gta 5 but you aren't going to give him a hit off the bong or pour him a whiskey. That's where I'd have gambling at. I don't own any of the anime masturbation games that are all over steam but I wouldn't let the hypothetical nephew play those because that's my desk, carpet and chair.

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

One will feel better about losing when you just admit that CS is not a good video game and never was.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
nah

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

ArfJason posted:

i also know its not the point of this debacle but i like how people go "KIDS ARE GETTING HOOKED UP ON GAMBLING" and not addressing that kids shouldn't have had access to the game in the first place. This is neither an excuse nor an argument for gambling, but i only ever see it used like that, and it pisses me off a bit. Hope that after the fallout from skin nonsense that gets looked into.

Huh? It's a game that is more or less suitable for teenagers. That's not an issue.

Gambling, on the other hand, short circuits the underdeveloped reward pathways that teenagers have. From a physiological perspective, gambling is very unhealthy for teenagers.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
well, yeah! like i said in the post, its not the focus, and shouldn't be, and it's not an argument for gambling
Its just that its kinda weird everyone talks about how kids play this when its an m game and its violent and poo poo
we wanna protect and think of the children, i just hope this can lead into someone looking into it, after the gambling issue is properly taken care of

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

The catch 22 of the whole thing is that the pro scene would be a lot weaker if we didn't have all these 23 year olds who have been playing since they were 12, so I don't know which way I fall on this one. I don't like having children on my team but the violence in the game is pretty mild in comparison to anything else. If anything, the M is justified because of the language you hear over VoIP and the verbal abuse that goes on.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

twitch banning all on stream gambling would go a long way

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Google Butt posted:

twitch banning all on stream gambling would go a long way

Too many companies have a horse in the race for them to actually react to scummy behaviour. It's the same reason Valve whitelists gambling site's bots and twitch allows lovely streamers.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Counterstrike is basically a video game Cops n Robbers, and the violence is pretty sterile. I don't see it being much worse then most playground games kids play.

Not to mention this argument is pretty silly, considering how accessible adult content is nowadays. Just last week, my cousin caught her youngsters (7 years old) watching pregnant fetish MLP cartoons on YouTube because they didn't know any better :l

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

ArfJason posted:

Dota 2 is like E10 and has crate gambling

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

Famethrowa posted:

Counterstrike is basically a video game Cops n Robbers, and the violence is pretty sterile. I don't see it being much worse then most playground games kids play.

Not to mention this argument is pretty silly, considering how accessible adult content is nowadays. Just last week, my cousin caught her youngsters (7 years old) watching pregnant fetish MLP cartoons on YouTube because they didn't know any better :l

at least you found out that autism is hereditary :unsmith:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Smithereens posted:

:bahgawd:

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Im sad that there isn't a 10 hour video of people losing to csgo gambling websites.

Guess I will spend my 4th of july actually playing the drat game. WHO IS WITH ME!?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

slavatuvs posted:

Dota 2 is like E10 and has crate gambling

Thats why i pointed out its more important to stop valves crate nonsense

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Google Butt posted:

it is cool when nerds foam at the mouth because of the hehe productions guy though

Him and the guy with the nasally voice who does the surf videos suck really hard

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Audax posted:

How dense are you? More was given the results of his rolls before he could put down a bet. He knew the outcome before he could place the bet. If you don't think that gives you the ability to scam then do I have some Nigerian gold to sell you grandma.

You are dumb as poo poo. Moe would be given his future rolls to advertise the site. Basically, he'd win so his viewers would see that and want to use that site. So the owner gave Moe money (the winnings he would make plus the free money to "gamble") to drive users to the site.

The site he was on does not have coin flips or head to head gambling. It's simply betting on random numbers. There's no way to scam because the rolls cannot be modified, by anyone. There's literally no way to be scammed. All that matters is what you gamble on VS the number that you're preordained to roll. It's not like he would know the heads or tails flip and could abuse other users. Seriously, loving think man.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

It will be good to have the steam guide section back again (handy for quickly finding common smokes mid-game). There's bots who upvote ads for gambling websites.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

EvilBeard posted:

You are dumb as poo poo. Moe would be given his future rolls to advertise the site. Basically, he'd win so his viewers would see that and want to use that site. So the owner gave Moe money (the winnings he would make plus the free money to "gamble") to drive users to the site.

The site he was on does not have coin flips or head to head gambling. It's simply betting on random numbers. There's no way to scam because the rolls cannot be modified, by anyone. There's literally no way to be scammed. All that matters is what you gamble on VS the number that you're preordained to roll. It's not like he would know the heads or tails flip and could abuse other users. Seriously, loving think man.

Pretending a gambling site is an easy way to make money by faking the odds, and getting paid to shill for said site, is a scam :ssh:

Demostrs
Mar 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smithereens posted:

loving savage my main man. u should go to prison for that one XD

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

How is this hard to understand. If you take a 1% chance to win bet and win it a bunch of times in a row with a big song and dance you confuse the gullible tweeners into thinking its likely that they will win 1% chance bets but they won't because they don't know which one out of a 100 roles will have them winning. They just lose everything after x amount of 1% chance roles in a row. Its not about tricking people who understand probability its about preying on the ignorant and easily led. To paraphrase someone I dislike he was the guy who wins at 3 card monte before the idiot bystander gets invited to play.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

EvilBeard posted:

hi moe

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

1.75@500

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Give me mg2 already valve, I was nova one like last week and want my rank

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I want to get my globus back when times comes that I don't work a schedule that leaves me with a total of three days off in a three week span :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Rank shaming is encouraged