Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if "everyone" saw it. But it's hard to tell, not sure how many of the people watching had also been aware of all the CS2 happenings.
The audio was fuzzy, but I guess I can't complain.

To a certain extent, for me anyway I feel like watching the japanese version makes my expectations for the english version higher.
That, and that spoilers sometimes makes the games feel more eh when you actually play it/watch it or so.
Kind of, but it doesn't spoiler the entire game I guess, the little conversations and such are still fun I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Here's the link to that E3 stream, in case anyone wants to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEAx3N_fkdk

Cold Steel 2 starts at 2:16, obviously massive spoiler for Cold Steel and a good chunk of the opening for Cold Steel 2.

EDIT,

Also, the woman who played the game during the Cold Steel 2 bit, is the lead for the localization team for Cold Steel 2 and Trails in the Sky 3rd, so there's a fair bit of insight on the behind the scenes to localizing this game. She's in charge of auditioning the voice actors, the voice direction, and the release date for the game, but she doesn't want to say yet because she doesn't want to "jinx it". Ah, c'mon, lady.

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jul 3, 2016

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

davidHalestorm posted:

Here's the link to that E3 stream, in case anyone wants to watch it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEAx3N_fkdk

Cold Steel 2 starts at 2:16, obviously massive spoiler for Cold Steel and a good chunk of the opening for Cold Steel 2.

EDIT,

Also, the woman who played the game during the Cold Steel 2 bit, is the lead for the localization team for Cold Steel 2 and Trails in the Sky 3rd, so there's a fair bit of insight on the behind the scenes to localizing this game. She's in charge of auditioning the voice actors, the voice direction, and the release date for the game, but she doesn't want to say yet because she doesn't want to "jinx it". Ah, c'mon, lady.

Just based on the changes she made to the intro I can already tell Hatsuu is gonna do a fantastic job with these games. Good on her for proving Slur's pessimism wrong at every turn.

Koguma
Sep 1, 2007

One of the Big Seven !!
Man you really hate slur.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yeah, this is first time I learn about her but Hatsuu is clearly a huge fan of the series and it's nice seeing a fan in charge of localization since it means that they're willing to move heaven and earth to get these games localized. In the stream, she mentioned that she wanted to have all the story cutscenes to be fully voiced, but unfortunately Nihon Falcom said that it is not possible. Too bad.

EDIT

That stream made me even more hyped for Cold Steel 2 since part of the gameplay is you gathering all the warriors, I do mean, all, not just Class VII

davidHalestorm fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jul 3, 2016

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Toval kind of sounds like J. Michael Tatum and it's great.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

davidHalestorm posted:

That stream made me even more hyped for Cold Steel 2 since part of the gameplay is you gathering all the warriors, I do mean, all, not just Class VII

She made it sound like Airship Suikoden which is basically the hypest poo poo ever.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Is Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim worth getting if I liked Ys Origin? It's on sale for 5.99 on Steam, a lot of the reviews there mention something about a lot of grinding.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Is Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim worth getting if I liked Ys Origin? It's on sale for 5.99 on Steam, a lot of the reviews there mention something about a lot of grinding.

You don't need to grind. That said Ys VI is nowhere near as good as Origin or Celceta, so if you haven't played the latter get that instead.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ryuga Death posted:

Ys VI was the first Ys game made on that engine and the Ys III remake Oath in Felghana and Ys Origin were made after Ys VI, so yeah it's a bit of a rough one to play and you will be doing grinding, as well as learning to do slash jumps because it wants you to do platforming yet you don't have a dedicated jump button. You'll also be doing a fair bit of backtracking too, though the version on Steam adds a way that alleviates this somewhat. It's also a fairly short game, about a good hour or so of your playtime will be grinding for EXP or Emelas shards to upgrade your weapons.

Having said that I still really liked it. I like Ys in general, unless it's called Mask of the Sun or Lost Kefin, so it really depends on if you're willing to put up with jank to experience another Ys game. It has a great soundtrack too and Dogi is in the game, albeit only in the latter half.

Regy Rusty posted:

You don't need to grind. That said Ys VI is nowhere near as good as Origin or Celceta, so if you haven't played the latter get that instead.

I found I'd get my rear end kicked around the Quarry part of the game if I didn't grind a few levels and Emealas shards. Maybe I'm just bad at the game though.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 3, 2016

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
Sounds like Aksys has poached Tokyo Xandau, will release on Vita and port to Steam.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Well, I'm sad that XSeed won't be localizing it, but I'm happy it's coming to Steam.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopefully aksys does an okay job with it. hopefully there aren't any inconsistencies with the cold steel callbacks in xanadu, either

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Why the Vita version and not the rerelease?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Delusibeta posted:

Sounds like Aksys has poached Tokyo Xandau, will release on Vita and port to Steam.

hell, i prefer that over mastiff

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Motto posted:

Why the Vita version and not the rerelease?

Falcom traditionally barred localizers from touching their games before they're out in Japan. Given the timeframe of this announcement, I expect this applies for Tokyo Xandau and therefore also applies to TXex.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Yo, that's cool. So we got Trails 3rd and Tokyo Xanadu to look forward to next year. Good news keep coming out.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Huh. I can only guess XSEED didn't do it because they've got their hands tied with a lot of other projects, not just Falcom ones. Doing Tokyo Xanadu might have been too much for them to handle on top of every other game they're working on bringing over and/or porting to Steam.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Also I had a brain fart and I meant Felghana, not Celceta. Celceta's a Vita game (though it's pretty good too)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Huh. I can only guess XSEED didn't do it because they've got their hands tied with a lot of other projects, not just Falcom ones. Doing Tokyo Xanadu might have been too much for them to handle on top of every other game they're working on bringing over and/or porting to Steam.

I'm hoping this bodes well for Crossbell.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Yeah, this is first time I learn about her but Hatsuu is clearly a huge fan of the series and it's nice seeing a fan in charge of localization since it means that they're willing to move heaven and earth to get these games localized. In the stream, she mentioned that she wanted to have all the story cutscenes to be fully voiced, but unfortunately Nihon Falcom said that it is not possible. Too bad.

We indeed have a very dedicated team at work here.
https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/747192279144636416

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

davidHalestorm posted:

Yo, that's cool. So we got Trails 3rd and Tokyo Xanadu to look forward to next year. Good news keep coming out.

The Vita is clearly a dead platform.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'm hoping this bodes well for Crossbell.

I know Hatsuu is pushing for the Crossbell games to be done but there's no way in hell they'd have started on Zero yet. Trying to localize both Cold Steel 2 and 3rd at the same time is frankly, kind of crazy and I wouldn't expect Zero be start being worked on, if ever, until at least Cold Steel 2 is out. Then of course they'd have to think about what to do with Azure, since there's no point in bringing Zero over if they can't do Azure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I know Hatsuu is pushing for the Crossbell games to be done but there's no way in hell they'd have started on Zero yet. Trying to localize both Cold Steel 2 and 3rd at the same time is frankly, kind of crazy and I wouldn't expect Zero be start being worked on, if ever, until at least Cold Steel 2 is out. Then of course they'd have to think about what to do with Azure, since there's no point in bringing Zero over if they can't do Azure.

Oh sure, I doubt they'd have started on Zero, but they might have scheduled it internally so they know they won't have time for Tokyo Xanadu any time in the next few years.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Wonder if Aksys will bother getting Rean, Alisa, and Towa's VAs.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Motto posted:

Wonder if Aksys will bother getting Rean, Alisa, and Towa's VAs.

Rean and Alisa are in Tokyo Xanadu?!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Rean and Alisa are in Tokyo Xanadu?!

They cameo as characters in a magical girl show and related minigames.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 3, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWyuH_yVhCQ

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
My precious wallet is going to die.

Probably going to pick up the Steam version of the game though; I hope it gets patched later with the PS4 add-ons.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Vita is clearly a dead platform.

To Sony, it is. Vita is being kept alive by third-party support, same way Wii U is kept alive by mostly first-party support.

Motto posted:

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/747192279144636416

Excellent.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I have to imagine that Sean Chiplock would be happy to voice this.

And now I want to hear him chewing the scenery as an over the top bad guy.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
In chapter 8 of Trails SC and this game is up and down. I liked the smaller scope of FC a lot more, this whole secret society full of stereotypes is boring. And the encounters range from easy to extremely annoying, especially in the beginning and end where lots of enemies self heal and call in allies. Now I have to deal with every status effect being thrown at me and I only have 1 equip slot to put something in. If a character dies it's hard to res them and get them back to health without them dying again. Multiple bosses in a row with no way to heal or change gear between them is also annoying.

I still like the game but FC was more enjoyable.

MisawaMahoKodomo
Mar 23, 2016
Is that on Normal Difficulty?
It might also depend on your setup though, for me at that point in the game I was cheesing all the fights with S breaks at the start of the fight, when I played it again on NG+ without the S break cheesing it was quite hard yes.

Reviving characters has always been a huge pain, even with (essentially unlimited celestial balms) because of the placement, move, and lost CP.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

MisawaMahoKodomo posted:

Is that on Normal Difficulty?
It might also depend on your setup though, for me at that point in the game I was cheesing all the fights with S breaks at the start of the fight, when I played it again on NG+ without the S break cheesing it was quite hard yes.

Reviving characters has always been a huge pain, even with (essentially unlimited celestial balms) because of the placement, move, and lost CP.

It is on normal, and I can't really cheese s-breaks because it's a right chore to get the CP built back up when I'm one shotting all the random mobs on my way around the map. It's really only the bounties and bosses I'm having issue with at the moment.

It also took away the two characters I've been building up for story reasons :( Right now I'm using Estelle, Joshua, Sherazard, Zane. Art enablers on Estelle and Shera

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

use Agate

cook up lots of Tomatrio Sandwiches for CP if it takes too long to farm

any ailment-cancelling accessories you find in a dungeon will give away the ailments used by the dungeon boss

SC has only three multiple-stage boss fights

if you don't have the Grail Locket by now I feel bad for you son

also, use Agate

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Really Pants posted:

use Agate

cook up lots of Tomatrio Sandwiches for CP if it takes too long to farm

any ailment-cancelling accessories you find in a dungeon will give away the ailments used by the dungeon boss

SC has only three multiple-stage boss fights

if you don't have the Grail Locket by now I feel bad for you son

also, use Agate

I have a grail locket, just one, and estelle is wearing it. I'll try making some sandwiches.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

davidHalestorm posted:

Yeah, this is first time I learn about her but Hatsuu is clearly a huge fan of the series and it's nice seeing a fan in charge of localization since it means that they're willing to move heaven and earth to get these games localized.

The series has pretty much always had fans working on it and moving heaven and earth to make the series work. Those are just some big-rear end mountains, sometimes.

Motto posted:

Oh hey, you joined the XSEED crew at some point, Motto? That's cool.

(I still love that Randy and Wazy got dakis)

EDIT:

Also, yeah, for a number of reasons it's only a bit of a surprise that Aksys got Tokyo Xanadu. The Aksys and XSEED teams are fairly tight, too (they go drinkin' together occasionally IIRC) so I imagine the XSEED folks will be happy to help Aksys get any shared terminology and whatnot right.

EDIT EDIT VVV:

Motto posted:

lmao no, sorry if the way I phrased that confused you.

Okay, was going to say :v:

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 4, 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Oh hey, you joined the XSEED crew at some point, Motto? That's cool.

lmao no, sorry if the way I phrased that confused you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SpaceDrake posted:

Also, yeah, for a number of reasons it's only a bit of a surprise that Aksys got Tokyo Xanadu. The Aksys and XSEED teams are fairly tight, too (they go drinkin' together occasionally IIRC) so I imagine the XSEED folks will be happy to help Aksys get any shared terminology and whatnot right.

oh sweet, i've got high hopes then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hepcat
Jan 21, 2004
"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos..."
There are a couple hand held PC's in the works right now I'm considering purchasing that are supposed to support Steam. Would Trails 3rd chapter be playable on one of these, or would the screen likely be too small to read/see anything? I'm going to buy it day one regardless, but I played FC and SC on PSP and I prefer to play Chapter 3 on a handheld as well.