Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

:byodood: YOU SHALL NOT PASS!
*Dies from hundreds of cannonballs to the face*

I like to imagine the one guy went 90 degrees from standing upright to laying on the floor in like a milisecond's time after saying that.

Onmi posted:

So, something I'm not sure on, when Chaos loots a town it turns into a portal for more chaos forces? yes?

No, it doesn't give replenishment or anything, its supposed to spread chaos corruption, but it seems really weak in vanilla values. This is what i thought it would do when i saw it for the first time too on their dev blog thing :ohdear:

I still assume that Daemons of Chaos will benefit greatly from Chaos Corruption though. CC is supposed to give replenishment according to some strings i read in the tables yet it doesn't seem to do so at all ingame which i guess makes somewhat sense since its just dudes, they're not appearing out of magic. Unlike the Daemons who according to the lore needs to be in an area with high satured chaos energies to exist for any real length of time, hence chaos corruption!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

This is so wrong it hurts.

The only acceptable ranged weapons for slayers are more axes. :colbert:

This contraption looks like something that a slayer should be riding into a mass of enemies while laughing maniacally.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Playing as Empire feels weird after playing dwarfs. My infantry is no longer an invincible wall, my crossbowmen are weak to other ranged units, and it looks like the high tier infantry have no shields. On the plus side, cavalry and magic! Throwing fireballs into a group of people is just so satisfying.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Swedish Horror posted:

Playing as Empire feels weird after playing dwarfs. My infantry is no longer an invincible wall, my crossbowmen are weak to other ranged units, and it looks like the high tier infantry have no shields. On the plus side, cavalry and magic! Throwing fireballs into a group of people is just so satisfying.

Yeah it's a bit of a switch. Battles are significantly more lethal for you. Cavalry is a bit of a huge plus though, as is having actual assassin agents.

What do you guys use to reduce vampiric corruption to manageable levels in the campaign? I've just recently beaten chaos and looking into Sylvania, and attrition is a real mother.

Also, [ASK] me about getting Balthasar's army brutally murdered in the Amulet of Sea Gold quest battle. Holy gently caress I'm so drat bad at fighting undead (or tactics in general, really).

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

ChickenWing posted:

Yeah it's a bit of a switch. Battles are significantly more lethal for you. Cavalry is a bit of a huge plus though, as is having actual assassin agents.

What do you guys use to reduce vampiric corruption to manageable levels in the campaign? I've just recently beaten chaos and looking into Sylvania, and attrition is a real mother.

Also, [ASK] me about getting Balthasar's army brutally murdered in the Amulet of Sea Gold quest battle. Holy gently caress I'm so drat bad at fighting undead (or tactics in general, really).

I took their cities and parked my rear end in them, Built shine of Sigmars.

Also Undead is very much a case of "Kill the Lord." When the Lord goes down, the bindings come down easier and they'll just shrivel up. The majority of their fodder are for Tarpitting you, My typical response was to tarpit right back and then just pepper them with arrows. When it comes to their monsters, you want Halberdiers, Their main problem I found is their cavalry, Get some spears, form a wall around your lines. And get Mortars. Shelling the gently caress out of their forces will soften them up for you.

I, however, am not particularly good at this game. so my advice may be bad.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Where you would normally use your cav for rear charges, against VC you use it to run down the general and crumble the army. Anything that provides morale shocks is good.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Onmi posted:

I took their cities and parked my rear end in them, Built shine of Sigmars.

Also Undead is very much a case of "Kill the Lord." When the Lord goes down, the bindings come down easier and they'll just shrivel up. The majority of their fodder are for Tarpitting you, My typical response was to tarpit right back and then just pepper them with arrows. When it comes to their monsters, you want Halberdiers, Their main problem I found is their cavalry, Get some spears, form a wall around your lines. And get Mortars. Shelling the gently caress out of their forces will soften them up for you.

I, however, am not particularly good at this game. so my advice may be bad.

That all makes sense - especially the Lord-killing bit. I should probably bring more witch hunters in my undead-smacking armies for maximum harsh words, my one Bright Wizard casting Fireball isn't exactly assassinating anyone. I'm looking forward to finishing my t5 sigmar shrine in Middenland/heim/whatever so I can churn out level 10 warrior priests/witch hunters :getin:

I've been neglecting to bring halberdiers, I'll have to step my game up there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Holy poo poo. This game is legitimately kicking my rear end on normal difficulty, which hasn't happened in a looong time with any RTS game for me.

I think i'm getting the basic combat mechanics down but the strategic metagame is giving me real problems.

As empire, how do people generally expand out?

Approximately where should I be / what should I be doing by turn 50? Turn 100? What's "endgame" ?

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
If you want the easiest possible no effort way to beat undead you can do the current mp fad:

These are the last 3 battles I've fought and each one starts the same way. Overcasting missiles from a flying mount seems to kill generals in one hit. Still won 2/3 of these battles but against AI this will swing any fight but I don't know why people think doing that's fun. It was pretty fun to play hide and seek with the person who brought nothing but flying bright wizards and empire captains until their leadership ran out and broke. The sad thing is it could've worked if he split them up and kept harrasing me while shooting me with missiles but he kept them all in one group so I just had to run one unit to one corner and the rest to the opposite corner.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ChickenWing posted:

In my campaign I just razed every one of the cities I took to the ground, rather than taking them. You lose out some provinces, but as long as you just deny them to the enemy it's a good-enough trade-off compared to having to deal with the huge public order penalties and needing to defend them. The whole area pretty much just stayed a no-man's-land until some of my allies finally recolonized it sometime around turn 100-ish, but you have so many options to expand or annex that you can just go somewhere else. Whenever I went in for an attack, I made liberal use of the raiding and encampment stance to avoid the attrition. It helps having at least two armies there, so that one can always keep pushing while the other retreats out of corrupted zones to replenish.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Holy poo poo. This game is legitimately kicking my rear end on normal difficulty, which hasn't happened in a looong time with any RTS game for me.

I think i'm getting the basic combat mechanics down but the strategic metagame is giving me real problems.

Approximately where should I be / what should I be doing by turn 50? Turn 100? What's "endgame" ?

For Empire, the first target after quelling the Secessionists should usually be Marienburg to your northwest, since it has a unique harbor that gives you great income. After that, a good direction to go is south, particularly the city of Nuln. It's in an overall pretty good province, and it gives you a unique building chain to lower the upkeep of all your artillery, of which you'll likely have a bunch. The nice thing about Empire is that any of the neighbours that you don't want to conquer can usually be made into an ally. So at the beginning, check out which one of them will be likely to agree to an alliance (their traits are randomised to a degree), make friends with them, and then conquer whoever's unfriendly.
If I remember correctly, in my last empire campaign around turn 50 I'd taken Marienburg to the west, Wissenland to the southeast, and Stirland to the east (the last one through annexation because they were hard-pressed by the vampires). By turn 100 I'd just about eradicated the vampires, and taken Talabecland to the northeast. Everybody else I'd turned into allies (which were super helpful against Chaos), so I didn't expand any further until the campaign's end sometime around turn 130-ish.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 4, 2016

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Trujillo posted:

If you want the easiest possible no effort way to beat undead you can do the current mp fad:

These are the last 3 battles I've fought and each one starts the same way. Overcasting missiles from a flying mount seems to kill generals in one hit. Still won 2/3 of these battles but against AI this will swing any fight but I don't know why people think doing that's fun. It was pretty fun to play hide and seek with the person who brought nothing but flying bright wizards and empire captains until their leadership ran out and broke. The sad thing is it could've worked if he split them up and kept harrasing me while shooting me with missiles but he kept them all in one group so I just had to run one unit to one corner and the rest to the opposite corner.

That's ironic, since my magic missiles always seem to require about 10 overcasts to kill a general assuming I hit even a single drat one.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Do not confederate Middenburg or Norland, for god's sigmar's sake.

Varg, Varg and Skaelings everywhere! :froggonk:

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Klaus88 posted:

Do not confederate Middenburg or Norland, for god's sigmar's sake.

Varg, Varg and Skaelings everywhere! :froggonk:

Middenland is actually a decent confederation candidate if you can manage it, because it lets you recruit super-experienced cavalry and also witch hunters/warrior priests. Definitely don't go for Nordland though, or Hochland or Ostland or Ostermark.

Try to get trade agreements with everyone you can as early as you can; check every few turns to see if they're amenable to trade if they turn you down initially. Keep Bretonnia sweet and, as others have said, conquer Marienburg immediately.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

John Charity Spring posted:

Middenland is actually a decent confederation candidate if you can manage it, because it lets you recruit super-experienced cavalry and also witch hunters/warrior priests. Definitely don't go for Nordland though, or Hochland or Ostland or Ostermark.

Try to get trade agreements with everyone you can as early as you can; check every few turns to see if they're amenable to trade if they turn you down initially. Keep Bretonnia sweet and, as others have said, conquer Marienburg immediately.

Curse you, inner map-painter! :argh:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Yukitsu posted:

That's ironic, since my magic missiles always seem to require about 10 overcasts to kill a general assuming I hit even a single drat one.

Are they from flying mounts? Every time I see a general get hit by one from the air it nearly instakills them and for VC it makes them start to crumble because in the first picture Mannfred has -111 leadership from damage sustained and 200 health from just one gaze of nagash from a mannfred on the zombie dragon. The bright wizard's missiles have the same effect. It may be that the ranged damage from being above the enemy that's supposed to be for things like archers on hills is applying to flying units in a weird way.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
What do you think about the special Middenheim building that lets you recruit vetted spearmen? IIRC, it doesn't apply to swordsmen or halberdiers.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Perestroika posted:

This contraption looks like something that a slayer should be riding into a mass of enemies while laughing maniacally.

Someone needs to mod that thing in the game, functioning similar to the Organ Gun but spewing axes like a machine gun. Have it count as 'slayer' so that Ungrims bonuses affect it.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007
Also a slightly less bullshit way to kill the enemy general if you're the empire is luminarks. They're really good at sniping high value targets now, too good probably.

Trujillo fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jul 4, 2016

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene

Biggest thing is getting the Dwarfs and Bretonnia on side, while deciding which Empire neighbours you'll confederate/conquer after conquering Marienburg. Declaring war on the nearest Orc faction is a good way to get free diplo points with both of the nearby Dwarf factions, and giving them some gifts on top of that is a quick way to get a non-ahggresion pact which makes them much less likely to suddenly attack you early game.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Mukip posted:

What do you think about the special Middenheim building that lets you recruit vetted spearmen? IIRC, it doesn't apply to swordsmen or halberdiers.

It lets you recruit vetted crossbows too.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Two attempts at starting a Hard Orc campaign, twice a fully stacked Thorgrim with a boatload of Quarrelers in tow erases me. Even with a numerical advantage and micro'd cavalry, these little buggers just won't die or break in time to let me control the field. Any Orc tips? :smith: All I've got so far is 'ranged units are a trap choice'.

edit: One nifty thing I noticed on my Dwarf campaign (way easier) was that sometimes a cannonball shot will knock a fleeing Giant right down, though I'm not sure on what exactly the criteria are (tiredness, morale, hp, whatever). Anyway it's hilarious.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

What I did on my legendary game is ignore the dwarfs and conquer all the southern greenskin factions, then roll over the dwarfs. You might want to build up some defenses in Black Crag etc. But in my game the dwarfs just fought with the northern greenskin faction until I was done mopping up the south

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What's the best way to use iron drakes effectively? They have an unfortunate combination of low speed short range and low rate of fire. Mine seem to get bum rushed easily.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:

immortal flow posted:

Two attempts at starting a Hard Orc campaign, twice a fully stacked Thorgrim with a boatload of Quarrelers in tow erases me. Even with a numerical advantage and micro'd cavalry, these little buggers just won't die or break in time to let me control the field. Any Orc tips? :smith: All I've got so far is 'ranged units are a trap choice'.

edit: One nifty thing I noticed on my Dwarf campaign (way easier) was that sometimes a cannonball shot will knock a fleeing Giant right down, though I'm not sure on what exactly the criteria are (tiredness, morale, hp, whatever). Anyway it's hilarious.

Hey I'm in the middle of a hard orc campaign. Just got control of the badlands from the silver road on down.

As far as tips go, I've found using gobbo archers (later mixed with night gobbo archers) to be not half bad against other greenskins. For dealing with dwarfs, I just engaged their line and smashed into the back of them with wolves or boars, whichever I had available. Don't let their quarrelers just sit and shoot uncontested because you will lose that fight every time. Focus your arty and archers on them, and harass them with cav. Rock lobbas aren't nearly as good as dwarfs artillery, but they're better than nothing, and doom divers are incredible. Get back charges on any wavering Dwarf line units to try to cause a chain rout. I only lost one battle to a Dwarf army before exterminating them, and it was because my entire army routed all the dwarfs except Thorgrim, who proceeded to rout my entire army singlehandedly.

Of course, I had weakened him enough for Grimgor to swoop in next turn and decimate him, putting the final nail in the Dwarf coffin. Turning the game up to hard has been a great decision so far, this has been real fun with some super close fights. gently caress savage orc arrer boyz though, those guys are assholes.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Panfilo posted:

What's the best way to use iron drakes effectively? They have an unfortunate combination of low speed short range and low rate of fire. Mine seem to get bum rushed easily.

Iron drakes can make you a lot of money and greatly boost your economy by disbanding them (and replacing them with good units).

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

What I did on my legendary game is ignore the dwarfs and conquer all the southern greenskin factions, then roll over the dwarfs. You might want to build up some defenses in Black Crag etc. But in my game the dwarfs just fought with the northern greenskin faction until I was done mopping up the south

I got kinda lucky in my game since Barak Varr expanded early. I grabbed one of their settlements and they panic confederated with the Dwarfs (who were also expanding very early), and I was able to fairly easily snatch their settlements with only around three or four big battles with them. They were just stretched so thin, and between that and me confederating other tribes whenever I could (and scoring earlier access to big 'uns and a bonus doom diver), I was able to have dwarfs out of the game by turn 40 or so. Meanwhile, those drat dwarfs to the southeast, karak azul or something, were quietly dominating, and I ended up having a nice big war with them. Now I'm just teching up, just got giants and arachnaroks, about to get black orcs. Bout to send some of my giants to say hello to the Border Princes :getin:

I think my favorite part of this TW is its so unpredictable. I legit have no idea what's going to happen each game. Will the Top Knotz be an unstoppable force, or will they get beat early and stagnate? Will the Dwarfs expand, or sit in their holds and wait for me? Will Chaos snowball this game? Are the Vampire Counts doing well, or getting beat to hell and back? The only thing I've found predictable is that Bretonnia will be useless. I've never seen them become actually powerful, or unite their people. I'm quite looking forward to their army release, actually.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I've said it before in here I think but I really hope the Bret dlc makes their corner of the world less of an isolated thunderdome. That's my biggest concern with the future of the franchise--sure, the map is all connected and what have you but I can't help but feel that each addition is goign to have a hard time interacting with the bits of the campaign map that came before it. Also if there are 2 more expansions with the same ridiculously over-dense number of provinces we'll be looking at 800 turn grand campaigns. which actually sounds kinda awesome

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Holy god, don't confederate with Stirland on turn 30 because everyone will hate you and the vampires will have their way with you for days on end and then Bretonnia will kill you as well. :supaburn:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Sharzak posted:

That's my biggest concern with the future of the franchise--sure, the map is all connected and what have you but I can't help but feel that each addition is goign to have a hard time interacting with the bits of the campaign map that came before it.

Agreed, that's why I think it's a great sign that they added roaming savage orc tribes in the patch. Looks like they understand it's no fun to fight the same faction all game long.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
Thanks for the advice! Expand south fast as possible, bring more cavalry to dwarf matches seems to be the idea then. Time for round 3.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Right now the southwest quadrant of the map is pretty devoid of player activity. I'm anticipating Bretonnia just to be able to mess around in estalia and tiles without making an epic map-long trek of it.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

immortal flow posted:

Thanks for the advice! Expand south fast as possible, bring more cavalry to dwarf matches seems to be the idea then. Time for round 3.

Also when using cav don't let them get stuck in. They die, especially gobbo wolf cav. Cycle charging is your friend.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

So I seem to have hit a wall in my dwarves campaign. I turned the entire Southeastern part of my map blue to get rid of those orks and now the other dwarves don't want to be bros anymore (and more importantly I lose the check mark next to the holds they own). The only direction to go really seems to be the middle of the map where it is a huge clusterfuck of everyone sin VC territory. How do I get my dwarf bros back? I'm currently trekking north to grab some territories from Varg or whatever but It's a slog and I feel like everyone hates me now. It doesn't help that I'm terrible at combat.

Any late game dwarf advice?

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Has Chaos showed up yet? In the end times its much easier to make friends. Other than that you can try showering them with gifts and researching the +relations tech

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Chaos showed and starting causing a ruckus so I killed Chaos Jesus if that's what your talking about. How long does it take to bribe a faction typically?

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Trujillo posted:

Are they from flying mounts? Every time I see a general get hit by one from the air it nearly instakills them and for VC it makes them start to crumble because in the first picture Mannfred has -111 leadership from damage sustained and 200 health from just one gaze of nagash from a mannfred on the zombie dragon. The bright wizard's missiles have the same effect. It may be that the ranged damage from being above the enemy that's supposed to be for things like archers on hills is applying to flying units in a weird way.

Combination of either on ground or from flying mounts against either ground or air targets. Neither ever seems to hit their target or when they do my damage seems to typically be around 800 or less on overcast.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bedlam posted:

Chaos showed and starting causing a ruckus so I killed Chaos Jesus if that's what your talking about. How long does it take to bribe a faction typically?

Yeah you lost the end times diplo bonus when you killed chaos jesus. You'll probably just have to teach these guys who the real high king is.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YOU BETTER RUN

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Sharzak posted:

Also if there are 2 more expansions with the same ridiculously over-dense number of provinces we'll be looking at 800 turn grand campaigns. which actually sounds kinda awesome

Presumably the victory conditions would be the same unless they add a super-mega-ultra long campaign victory. Maybe they'll randomize the 'end-game threat' so instead of it being Chaos and the stupid Vikings every game so will it end up being skaven invasion or whatever that certain factions would have to repel to win the campaign, that would be neat.

And yeah, the isolation of the factions may very well become an issue (the Lizardmen might be extremely cool but would that really matter if you'll never get to fight them?) but at least it seems like CA is aware of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Kainser posted:

And yeah, the isolation of the factions may very well become an issue (the Lizardmen might be extremely cool but would that really matter if you'll never get to fight them?) but at least it seems like CA is aware of it.

I mean there's a handful of reasons and ways to incorporate any faction onto any of the three hypothetical maps. For example, there are scattered tribes of Lizardmen in the Southlands south of the Tomb Kings as well as on the Dragon Isles for the Mountains of Mourn expansion.

• Locked thread