Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Hey thread, I've got a timeline for you, followed by a question:

4/23 - I was solicited by a corporate recruiter on LinkedIn regarding an IT position not specifically listed on the company's LinkedIn page or their website. Did some research on said company, they look pretty cool, so I sent the recruiter my resume and kept in contact with her via email.

4/29 - Spoke with recruiter over the phone, as she's at company's main HQ literally all the way across the country (they have a satellite office here in SF, though, which is where the position will be). Call went well, in my opinion.

5/4 - Phone interview with senior IT tech at main HQ, as the "hiring manager" in SF was unavailable and the recruiter wanted to get the ball rolling. Choked a little bit at points, but otherwise the conversation went fine.

5/10 - Scheduled to have an onsite interview with the SF "hiring manager", but I wasn't informed that he was working from home that day due to a really bad cold. Regardless, met the receptionist and office manager, who actually helped set up a brief call with the guy, which went well. Afterwards, I had an engaging conversation (interview?) with the office manager, and felt like I made a great impression.

5/11 - Spoke with recruiter again, who sincerely apologized for the miscommunication regarding the intended in-person interview (told her it's all good, and that I still really look forward to meeting the guy). She let me know she'd be back in contact within the next few weeks, as I "was one of the first applicants for the role" or something to that effect.

6/13 - Recruiter emails and calls me back (ironically, I was going to send her an email the next day to check in on things; also, I had to let the call go to voicemail as I was busy working). In a nutshell, said they went through a "handful" of candidates, but I was still at the top of their list. We coordinated to set up a "final" interview (her words).

6/17 - Interview gauntlet at SF location. First, I had two back-to-back video conference interviews with folks at main HQ (sys. admin and senior sys. admin) which took at least 45 minutes each and went well... except for the fact that due to some technical difficulties, they could see me but I couldn't see them. After that, I finally met the "hiring manager" and we went out to grab some coffee and chat for a half an hour. Really awesome guy, and I can definitely picture myself working with him. After that, one more video conference (which worked both ways this time) with the SVP of IT/Operations. That one was a little awkward, mainly because I was getting exhausted and quite a bit more nervous/intimidated. Thanked everyone, shook hands with the SF guy, parted ways on a high note.

---------------

tl;dr Two months ago the hiring process started, and essentially I've had seven interviews with this company. Frankly, I'd be more stunned than disappointed if they didn't at least get in contact one last time to inform me of their decision, regardless of the outcome. It's been a week since the last round of interviews; is it alright to check back in with the recruiter today via email, or should I wait a bit longer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

That timeline is ridiculous and the job better be amazing. No harm checking back though.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Update, kinda: I found out that my job alert on LinkedIn isn't working correctly for some reason, and this exact position that I've gone through all these motions for was (finally) posted just a couple days ago, by the recruiter herself. I tend to overthink things a LOT, but does this bode well for my chances?

No matter what, I'm getting in contact with her first thing on Monday. At this point, is it appropriate to call her directly, or should I still email? Should I also mention the job posting, or is that a really terrible idea?

MiniFoo fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 25, 2016

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Question about recruiters - how common is it for them to be cagey about who they're recruiting for? I understand that they don't want you just calling up the employer, but I work in a super small industry so it's usually easy to guess.

I was approached by a recruiter last month for a position that wasn't listed on the company's website, I guessed who it was with and asked her to confirm (again small industry, I don't want my resume to end up in front of my boss' drinking buddies) and she ghosted me. Just wondering if I committed a faux pas there.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Question about recruiters - how common is it for them to be cagey about who they're recruiting for? I understand that they don't want you just calling up the employer, but I work in a super small industry so it's usually easy to guess.

I was approached by a recruiter last month for a position that wasn't listed on the company's website, I guessed who it was with and asked her to confirm (again small industry, I don't want my resume to end up in front of my boss' drinking buddies) and she ghosted me. Just wondering if I committed a faux pas there.

In my experience the 4 recruiters I've worked with have told me who the client was after describing the job.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
She sent me the job description with the logo and name hastily stripped out, I thought it was weird. Glad to know it's not just me.

Employer also went on a giant hiring spree and that's like he only job they didn't spam all over the place. Weird.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Recruiters just dont want you going direct to the company and preventing them from getting their sweet sweet commission, so not uncommon for them to not tell you the company until you've agreed to let them approach for you. This can be annoying as I've twice had recruiters (from the same agency actually) insist on a call to talk up a great job that'll suit me perfectly only to find that it's one I already applied for on my own (and in one case had already interviewed for).

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I had one of the most categorically bizarre interviews last week; the interview was completely incongruent with the position. It was for an analyst job; the interviewing team was the department supervisor and two team leads. No HR.

They read behavioral questions off a paper, and wrote down my responses. All were customer service type questions --"how have you gone above and beyond with a customer?" -- despite repeatedly emphasizing it was a technical position, not client facing.

Then I was asked if I can program in C# (I cannot, but have taken classes in VB and JavaScript and understand the fundamentals of OOP. I say as much.)

Dept head: "I'd rather teach a people person to program because programmers don't know how to deal with people." ( :agree: )

I asked about the workflow process and the management style, and was given a detailed description of the position's benefits. Cool, but not what I asked about.

It was bizarre.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 27, 2016

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

MiniFoo posted:

Update, kinda: I found out that my job alert on LinkedIn isn't working correctly for some reason, and this exact position that I've gone through all these motions for was (finally) posted just a couple days ago, by the recruiter herself. I tend to overthink things a LOT, but does this bode well for my chances?

No matter what, I'm getting in contact with her first thing on Monday. At this point, is it appropriate to call her directly, or should I still email? Should I also mention the job posting, or is that a really terrible idea?

Update: sent an email to the recruiter this morning, and got a call back at the end of her workday. Said they're looking for someone with more experience, but we'll "keep in touch" if anything changes. Whatever.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

MiniFoo posted:

Update: sent an email to the recruiter this morning, and got a call back at the end of her workday. Said they're looking for someone with more experience, but we'll "keep in touch" if anything changes. Whatever.

womp womp

If theres anything work has taught me, what seems like a disappointment 4 weeks later can be a "glad I didnt" because you end up somewhere you really like.

When I was 16 I got fired from Ralph Lauren for selling shirts on eBay...

...got hired 22 hours later selling random peoples stuff on eBay at a consignment store and loved it. Became the manager at 18.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Missed a call from the job I applied to yesterday, but called back and left a message within 24 hours. Accidentally didn't leave my number on the message.

How hosed am I? When would be a good time to try them again? Should I even do that or wait for them to get back to me? :ohdear:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Cthulhuite posted:

Missed a call from the job I applied to yesterday, but called back and left a message within 24 hours. Accidentally didn't leave my number on the message.
They have your number already because you missed a call from them.

Chill.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
Makes sense, I should chill. :v:

Should I call back a second time today, or tomorrow morning, or wait for them to reply to my message?

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
Hello fair goons,

So I've been applying for jobs lately. I generally have about 2 recruiters a week reach out to me, but my biggest problem is working in time to have multiple phone interviews and in person interviews, while at the same time not alerting my boss that I'm looking for a new job. I work for a large tech company and when I was hired, the position was paying out $60,000 for the position at the time, but with our bonuses now, it barely breaks $40,000 making it hard to pay my bills. It sucks because I like my boss a lot, but at the same time my position at other companies pays double if not more than what I am making.

Are there still any good services that will help me with my resume and finding jobs that suit me specifically, etc?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Engineer here: I have never had good luck with the various "we'll find you a job" types of services whether it be individual headhunters or recruiting agencies. Is it that hard to schedule phone interviews near lunch and in person interviews using paid time off? Kids are sick, I am sick, etc.

ZHamburglar
Aug 24, 2006
I have a penis.
It's sort of a pain since, I have actually been sick and had health problems in the last few months and I have no children. I also just found out today that people on my team won't actually be getting a pay raise/level promotion, so it gives me even less faith in my own company since they essentially promised them. I generally try to schedule phone interviews during lunch or if I can work from home that day, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Dentist appointment with multiple follow ups

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I mean no offense but most legitimate companies understand that you have work demands and they can schedule interviews before /after work and even on weekends. Basically should be flexible to you. If they are bothering to interview you at all then you made it past the bullshit screening

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.
I have an etiquette question. I'm moving cross-country, and I've been interviewing at multiple places to make sure I have at least one offer before I bounce. I have an on-site coming up this week where they're flying me out, which I agreed to because I didn't have any offers yet. Now it turns out that I finally heard back about another position and got the offer I was hoping for, and I'm going to take it. Do just I cancel the upcoming on-site with one day's notice? Should I just go anyway at this point? I would think no on the second one, since why waste everyone's time?

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED
I currently unemployed and looking for work. It's been almost a year since my last job due to a combination of extended personal travel and difficulty finding suitable openings. Should I mention this gap (and explain that it's due to travel) on any cover letters I send out or just ignore it? I don't want to lie and make up a job to fill it.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

I recently went through a job search after extended travel and assuming you're also in the US, it's a tough hurdle to overcome. Be upfront about the travel and spin the experience in a positive way to hiring managers/interviewers.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I would proudly tell them you used it to see the world and explain how it made you a more well rounded employee.

Kasumeat
Nov 18, 2004

I SHOULD GO AND GET FUCKED

CarForumPoster posted:

I would proudly tell them you used it to see the world and explain how it made you a more well rounded employee.

Yeah that's my plan for interviews, I just worry about drawing attention to it before I get to the interview stage. I guess it's probably better to mention it though than hope they don't notice.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
They will notice. If your resume is chronological, as most places suggest it should be, I'd simply put travel from this date to that date and then describe where you traveled to.

Theres several blog articles with ideas about how to handle this on a resume.

Its also a great chance to include hobbies like dancing, woodworking, etc. Its actually a great opportunity to humanize yourself. Make sure the description is short though.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 5, 2016

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

zynga dot com posted:

I have an etiquette question. I'm moving cross-country, and I've been interviewing at multiple places to make sure I have at least one offer before I bounce. I have an on-site coming up this week where they're flying me out, which I agreed to because I didn't have any offers yet. Now it turns out that I finally heard back about another position and got the offer I was hoping for, and I'm going to take it. Do just I cancel the upcoming on-site with one day's notice? Should I just go anyway at this point? I would think no on the second one, since why waste everyone's time?

They already paid for the flight so it would kind of be a dick move to just say "no thanks" the day before the flight. If nothing else, just go and keep and open mind - maybe their offer may be better after all or not, but at least follow through with it.

Im A Lime
Nov 18, 2007

On the topic of gaps in your resume: I quit my job last November for personal/safety reasons (not the job, I left on great terms). I moved in with my parents to help my mom with her double knee replacement surgery (it was the span of several months, and my dad works out of the country). Is this something I can address in my cover letter? Or could that have an actual spot on my resume too?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
I would personally think that any gaps should just be in the resume. It will show what you did in the timeline of your resume and not clog up your valuable cover page space. Unless your gap was spent doing something amazing , I would just keep it in the resume alone. Others may disagree.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I would probably just label it "family medical" in the resume and not take up more than a line with it. It really isn't worth dwelling on.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Susical posted:

On the topic of gaps in your resume: I quit my job last November for personal/safety reasons (not the job, I left on great terms). I moved in with my parents to help my mom with her double knee replacement surgery (it was the span of several months, and my dad works out of the country). Is this something I can address in my cover letter? Or could that have an actual spot on my resume too?

Don't put the why in your resume. Address the gap in the cover letter and mention it in the interview. You'll get sympathy points that way. Something like that doesn't translate well on a resume or if you do mention it dress it up like "caregiver" or something. Even if you didn't get paid.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Susical posted:

Don't put it on your resume. A resume is a professional document and non-professional stuff doesn't really belong on there. Address it in your cover letter. This is so incredibly common these days, though. If someone gave you flak for it, it'd be a red flag that they'd be difficult to work with.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
Minor resume design quibble - is it better to emphasize the company, followed by your position, or emphasize your position followed by the company?

By that I mean -

ABC Company
Job Title

vs.

Job Title
ABC Company

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Cyril Sneer posted:

Minor resume design quibble - is it better to emphasize the company, followed by your position, or emphasize your position followed by the company?

By that I mean -

ABC Company
Job Title

vs.

Job Title
ABC Company
Depends on which one shows better progression. Most of the time, I'd lean on emphasizing the title, especially if you've grown in between jobs. But if you've worked someplace that's generally viewed as especially impressive, like Google, it might be worth switching it up.

zynga dot com
Nov 11, 2001

wtf jill im not a bear!!!

A dossier and a state of melted brains: The Jess campaign has it all.

Shipon posted:

They already paid for the flight so it would kind of be a dick move to just say "no thanks" the day before the flight. If nothing else, just go and keep and open mind - maybe their offer may be better after all or not, but at least follow through with it.

I appreciate the response - I was late in responding because I did, in fact, go through with the interview. It turns out that I may need that potential offer to match against for the other position anyway. Plus, no sense in burning any bridges in a new city.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Cyril Sneer posted:

By that I mean -

ABC Company
Job Title

vs.

Job Title
ABC Company
I'd go with the company on top if you've worked at multiple roles in a company. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter as long as it's scannable.

ABC Company
Manager
What I did as manager

Scientist
What I did as scientist

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I'm updating my resume to include more numbers and metrics. Which looks better, specific numbers or estimates?

-Developed 70+ databases for clinical use...
-Collected student fitness data from 230+ K-12 schools for a database of 150k+ entries...

or

-Developed 72 databases for clinical use...
-Collected student fitness data from 237 K-12 schools for a databases with 156,321 entries...

I'm going with the estimates currently, and it seems to me like there's too many '+' signs.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Lucky Guy posted:

I'm updating my resume to include more numbers and metrics. Which looks better, specific numbers or estimates?

-Collected student fitness data from 230+ K-12 schools for a database of 150k+ entries...

or

-Collected student fitness data from 237 K-12 schools for a databases with 156,321 entries...

I'm going with the estimates currently, and it seems to me like there's too many '+' signs.

Developed more than 70 databases for clinical use... Maybe?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Depends on the role.'

The first one sounds more scientific/technical/IT. The 2nd one sounds more HR-like.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

"Over 70 databases" and use +'s on the other line

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Lucky Guy posted:

or

As a database guy, wouldn't you want precision? I think in marketing they'd mock you for knowing exactly how many entries a database had. But if I was hiring a database guy, I'd want the guy that knew precision was important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

Dik Hz posted:

As a database guy, wouldn't you want precision? I think in marketing they'd mock you for knowing exactly how many entries a database had. But if I was hiring a database guy, I'd want the guy that knew precision was important.

It's for a general IT position rather than a strict database developer, but those projects/accomplishments are the easiest ones to assign numbers to.