Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

In a world of mana dorks and rampy green things Searing Blood was one of my favourite feel good cards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
On a completely different note, I want to make a meme about Maro going around doing douchebag stuff and when called on it, his response is always to ask you to be respectful of the story

Maro drinks all your beer? Please don't be disrespectful of the story

Maro takes a huge poo poo and leaves the toilet clogged? Please don't be disrespectful of the story

Maro changes lanes without signaling? Please don't be disrespectful of the story

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Exiling instead of killing is a legitimately large power difference (format dependent). If this card and Lightning Strike were in the same Standard and you didn't want 8 of the effect, the one you played more of would be metagame dependent. The complaining about this card is very strange to me, the card is fine.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Tubgoat posted:

Because if it was instant, you could just hold onto it and burn face at end of turn if you didn't need it to kill a creature or planeswalker. Red is impulsive and lacks forethought, instant burn would be COMPLETELY out of flavor for red. Now, if it cost 1U and did 3 to the dome or a critter, instant would be entirely fine.

All the nominally good blue draw spells are sorceries right now, fyi

Green plays better than blue or red at instant speed in standard

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tubgoat posted:

Because if it was instant, you could just hold onto it and burn face at end of turn if you didn't need it to kill a creature or planeswalker. Red is impulsive and lacks forethought, instant burn would be COMPLETELY out of flavor for red. Now, if it cost 1U and did 3 to the dome or a critter, instant would be entirely fine.

See now your earlier argument feels disingenuous.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elyv posted:

Exiling instead of killing is a legitimately large power difference (format dependent). If this card and Lightning Strike were in the same Standard and you didn't want 8 of the effect, the one you played more of would be metagame dependent. The complaining about this card is very strange to me, the card is fine.

Instant speed is more powerful than exiling in the card in question.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
A standard in which I don't want 8 Volcanic Hammer/Lightning Strike is a standard I'm taking Friday-Saturday off to play.

Draw at sorcery and loot at instant feels on-flavor and respectful of power level.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

rabidsquid posted:

See now your earlier argument feels disingenuous.
I really can't properly express how irritated I am that, 5 years after Lightning Bolt could be printed at common in standard, we can't have a goddamn Lightning Strike.

Did you ever see the respective burn spells that RoboRosewater generated for blue and red, based on the themes/information it gathered from real Magic cards?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Please don't cite roborosewater to make any kind of point relating to real magic.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

The last burn spell that was at instant speed and wasn't a shock variant was Mindswipe.

Think about that for a second.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Eh, gently caress it. I am jamming lily no matter what. I am going to play g/b/w control with delirium value town stuff. Maybe I can figure a way to have a enough creatures to make the minus turn it into card advantage.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

sarmhan posted:

Please don't cite roborosewater to make any kind of point relating to real magic.

But you don't understand! If we can't play legacy Burn in every standard format, Magic is ruined forever and roborosewater proves it! Mountainspalk is too powerful.

Edit: lol at anyone who whines about blue in standard.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Did you ever see the respective burn spells that RoboRosewater generated for blue and red, based on the themes/information it gathered from real Magic cards?

i sincerely don't know what you're trying to say with this question

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

The last burn spell that was at instant speed and wasn't a shock variant was Mindswipe.

Think about that for a second.
Did you even think about this for 2 seconds?

This isn't even counting the multiple burn commons that are instants, but are targeted at limited.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

sarmhan posted:

You can learn quite a lot about your own culture from how other cultures view it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

i sincerely don't know what you're trying to say with this question

When exposed to printed-in-real-life Magic: The Gathering cards, an admittedly-not-as-sophisticated-as-now bot that generates Magic: The Gathering cards decided this is about the power level appropriate for cards of each of these colors.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 4, 2016

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

sarmhan posted:

Did you even think about this for 2 seconds?

This isn't even counting the multiple burn commons that are instants, but are targeted at limited.

No, actually. :downs:

Also to be fair, Draconic Roar is only a burn spell if I have a dragon.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

You can learn quite a lot about your own culture from how other cultures view it.
Jesus christ. Is a bot that spams random combinations of words and phrases found on magic cards 'another culture' now?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Angry Grimace posted:

sorcery

sorcery

sorcery

I'm calling this for most Begrudingly Playable card of the set for Standard. It will show up in a bunch of red decks but no one will be excited to be including it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

Edit: lol at anyone who whines about blue in standard.

there are currently, like, 3 or 4 playable blue cards in standard and blue isn't the main color of any standard deck atm, they have a point even if they're also scum of the earth for wanting to play counterspells or something

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Entropic posted:

I'm calling this for most Begrudingly Playable card of the set for Standard. It will show up in a bunch of red decks but no one will be excited to be including it.

Counterpoint: It can't be playable if red isn't.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Entropic posted:

That was what I thought as I saw it.

I'll play it, but I won't like it :sigh:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

sarmhan posted:

Jesus christ. Is a bot that spams random combinations of words and phrases found on magic cards 'another culture' now?

No, but Norway is, and their slang for "crazy" is "Texas."

Nomadic Scholar
Feb 6, 2013

I started back up in gatecrash, I only was disappointed with dragons maze. I had a fun time during both sides of that rotation. I do miss my gruul 3 drop deck though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao at all the angst in this thread. Lots of terrible armchair developers spouting off total poo poo.

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

sarmhan posted:

Keep in mind that the roborosewater thing is actually curated as well. For every hilarious "mountainspalk" card, there's troughs of complete garbage to sift through.

We're not seeing the full unfettered output of roborosewater, we're just seeing the output as filtered by the lens of its curator. So if the curator's a magic player, he's going to pick things that are funny or make sense in the context of M:tG, hence the weird interactions and "blue gets everything" meme.

Lightning bolt coming back was a special event in the eyes of WotC. They were drumming up interest in M10 and kept it around for a year after in M11. Lightning Bolt wasn't at the regular power level of what standard "should" get, but standard is something of a oil patch floating on the ocean that experiences ebbs and flows of power for different parts of it depending on the card pool. poo poo even the definition for what standard should get changes over time.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lmao at all the angst in this thread. Lots of terrible armchair developers spouting off total poo poo.

*shrug* I think the set has a lot of neat cards that won't matter because none of them are as good as Advocate onto Nissa into Gideon.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Fish Of Doom posted:

Lol at everyone being so angry in this thread. Liliana is good and will definitely see play in standard.

Reminder of other planeswalkers that this thread deemed garbage and unplayable when they were spoiled

Ashiok ("Oh boy a mill walker")
Elspeth, Sun's Champion ("too expensive")
Jace, Telepath Unbound ("who would want their merfolk looter to turn into bad snapcaster")
Sorin, Solemn Visitor ("irrelevent abilities")
Chandra, Flamecaller ("not elspeth")

Just thought I'd pop in to say that Ashiok was irrelevant in Standard as most goons predicted with no one really saying anything on Modern where Ashiok actually managed to float as an alternate win condition for a while. Elspeth was generally regarded well by the topic for Standard. Jace was only knocked by the three numerically top posters of the thread while everyone else thought he was moderate or good. Sorin was similarly thought of as quite powerful by the majority of the thread. Chandra got poo poo on though for being a Chandra card though she hasn't seen all that much play anyway.

*fart*

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
^^^ Your post prompted me to look up Chandra, Flamecaller and I am thrilled that she's <:20bux: again. ^^^

As thoroughly disappointed as I am that red aggro is not currently standard playable, I really really like this set overall and the Night Vale-esque horrors are imaginative and well-designed for the most part, and DFCBFM (double-face card Big Furry Monster) as I shall continue to call it is the coolest cardgame concept I have ever seen and I really hope it's well-received by the masses so we can see it come back someday.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 4, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Unlike the non-armchair developers, who know exactly what they're doing.

Avacyn: Not A Mistake

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Count Bleck posted:

No, actually. :downs:

Also to be fair, Draconic Roar is only a burn spell if I have a dragon.

There have been two rare fireballs in the past two sets. I played against a guy playing Mono-R Goggles at a GP trial two weeks ago. He used the red vessel to ramp a turn 3 goggles into lots more burn. It was a cool deck.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tubgoat posted:

When exposed to printed-in-real-life Magic: The Gathering cards, an admittedly-not-as-sophisticated-as-now bot that generates Magic: The Gathering cards decided this is about the power level appropriate for cards of each of these colors.

Do you know anything at all about recurrent neural nets other than "computer learns things"?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Unlike the non-armchair developers, who know exactly what they're doing.

Avacyn: Not A Mistake

TBF I don't think Avacyn actually shows up in Bant Humans.

So only 40% of the meta.

(pushes my Avacyn-laden UW Humans deck under rug with foot)

e: also probably in a couple of those WB Control decks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The real reason is that if it was an instant then it would be able to kill a Gisela resurrected by bruna before they voltronned, and uncommons aren't allowed to make players with mythic cards feel bad.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you know anything at all about recurrent neural nets other than "computer learns things"?

Nope. Lay it on me, Slick.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

I want this to be a real card so bad

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

80s James Hetfield posted:

I want this to be a real card so bad

I'd splash for it. It'd be printed at mythic though, and it would only go up from its preorder price of 300 USD.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Tubgoat posted:

Nope. Lay it on me, Slick.

It doesn't know anything about colour balance or the colour pie. It just makes a best guess what word/character (probably character given Montainspalk) comes next, given the last few words/characters with probabilities derived from the result of the "learning" process. It has no understanding of what the cards actually mean or do, and so a question of balancing to colour doesn't enter into it.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It doesn't know anything about colour balance or the colour pie. It just makes a best guess what word/character (probably character given Montainspalk) comes next, given the last few words/characters with probabilities derived from the result of the "learning" process. It has no understanding of what the cards actually mean or do, and so a question of balancing to colour doesn't enter into it.

Alright, thanks! I now return to my regularly scheduled regretting not being able to draft this set. :gonk:

v v That makes a lot more sense, I was never able to follow much of it, I just saw insurmountable walls of text interspersed with the occasional RNN-generated card. I'd really like to see more of the complete word salad ones that can't be parsed within the rules framework, like a Magic-playing Sarah Palin.

Tubgoat fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jul 4, 2016

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

Uh i don't know how to break this to you dude but if you checked the original thread that made RoboRosewater you'll see that the network smashes out hundreds of cards per day and that the twitter account just picks the ones they think are funniest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Entropic posted:

Murder is also probably going to see play over ruinous path just because its an instant.

• Locked thread