Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Chaltab posted:

So I guess you'll get to the first dungeon around episode 30 at this rate. XD

Nah, this is the last set of stuff we do in town, so it'll probably be closer to episode ~15.

Also, since it has been brought up, I am going to try as hard as I can to not call anyone out specifically when explaining the guidance thus far. This session specifically was cut short due to real life stuff, and as such we assumed more direct control than we normally would have. Otherwise there was a very real chance we were going to have to cut things off halfway through Day 2, which would be awkward at best for a variety of reasons, so we just powered through as quickly as we could. In a more general sense, I would also like to point out that I have now been yelled by both the "You are giving too much advice" AND the "Why didn't you direct her toward [thing]" crowd OVER THE SAME drat VIDEO (Not this one specifically, but it's as good of a time to bring it up as any). I realize that everyone has different expectations as to what "blind" entails, but we can't please everybody, nor are we going to try to. Will it be this heavy-handed all the time? Of course not. But this is how the LP will be continuing, because this is how Fae wants things to go. She trusts us to guide her when appropriate, and that's what we try to do.

E: This is the first and only time I am going to directly address this, by the by. That is not to say that we are turning a blind eye to criticism, but you're going to have to be a little more specific than "STOP HELPING TOO MUCH/NOT ENOUGH"

Artix fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Artix posted:

Nah, this is the last set of stuff we do in town, so it'll probably be closer to episode ~15.

Also, since it has been brought up, I am going to try as hard as I can to not call anyone out specifically when explaining the guidance thus far. This session specifically was cut short due to real life stuff, and as such we assumed more direct control than we normally would have. Otherwise there was a very real chance we were going to have to cut things off halfway through Day 2, which would be awkward at best for a variety of reasons, so we just powered through as quickly as we could. In a more general sense, I would also like to point out that I have now been yelled by both the "You are giving too much advice" AND the "Why didn't you direct her toward [thing]" crowd OVER THE SAME drat VIDEO (Not this one specifically, but it's as good of a time to bring it up as any). I realize that everyone has different expectations as to what "blind" entails, but we can't please everybody, nor are we going to try to. Will it be this heavy-handed all the time? Of course not. But this is how the LP will be continuing, because this is how Fae wants things to go. She trusts us to guide her when appropriate, and that's what we try to do.

E: This is the first and only time I am going to directly address this, by the by. That is not to say that we are turning a blind eye to criticism, but you're going to have to be a little more specific than "STOP HELPING TOO MUCH/NOT ENOUGH"

I am upset that Fae can actually see while playing, I was promised a blind LP.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Pyroi posted:

I am upset that Fae can actually see while playing, I was promised a blind LP.

Well, there's blindfolded speedruns of Ocarina of Time. There might also be some of this game.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
From a quick search, I can see one? It's not complete though and it hasn't updated in a year.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Personally I simply find it pretty funny how Fae is getting so good at almost discovering stuff :v: There's a lot of little things in this game useful only for worldbuilding, stuff that's easily missable and interesting but unimportant. I hope I'm not being misunderstood as complaining.

Doing this Kafei stuff now is a pretty good idea for getting her used to how the game works even if takes away from discovering and figuring it out on your own over the course of the playthrough. It makes sense to do some directing at the moment to show what the game does. Things become a little more straightforward once you get out of Clock Town anyway.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

tiistai posted:

Personally I simply find it pretty funny how Fae is getting so good at almost discovering stuff :v:

Same :v: I swear I don't do it on purpose. I'm just lucky and unlucky at the same time I guess.

Also on the topic of my co-commentators: I'm pretty happy with the level of help they're giving me. ChaosArgate has been with me through an entire LP before and Artix and I have been friends for a while now; they both know how my brain works and how to tell when I need a little poke in the right direction, even if I don't express that. That doesn't come through in the videos because you guys don't know me as well as these two do. So if they give me guidance, its because they think I need it and for no other reason.

This is my third blind LP. I know when I need a push in the right direction and I also know that you can't please everyone. I'd rather the game be fun for me to play and people whine about too much guidance than to give in to people who say I'm getting too much help and end up frustrated with the game. I have exploration videos planned where I'll go off on my own and discover stuff. The "main" videos will be a lot more guided and that works for us. If it doesn't for you, then that's okay but I'm not changing my relationship with my friends because of it.

In other words, I am satisfied with my care.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Faerie Fortune posted:

Same :v: I swear I don't do it on purpose. I'm just lucky and unlucky at the same time I guess.

Also on the topic of my co-commentators: I'm pretty happy with the level of help they're giving me. ChaosArgate has been with me through an entire LP before and Artix and I have been friends for a while now; they both know how my brain works and how to tell when I need a little poke in the right direction, even if I don't express that. That doesn't come through in the videos because you guys don't know me as well as these two do. So if they give me guidance, its because they think I need it and for no other reason.

This is my third blind LP. I know when I need a push in the right direction and I also know that you can't please everyone. I'd rather the game be fun for me to play and people whine about too much guidance than to give in to people who say I'm getting too much help and end up frustrated with the game. I have exploration videos planned where I'll go off on my own and discover stuff. The "main" videos will be a lot more guided and that works for us. If it doesn't for you, then that's okay but I'm not changing my relationship with my friends because of it.

In other words, I am satisfied with my care.

I think this LP would get incredibly frustrating to watch if you as the player get frustrated by the game and don't know where to go anymore. It's actually not hard to notice that there's good chemistry between you and your friends and that they know when you need some advice.

This is why I've not complained about the amount of 'blindness' going on and think the current way is great.

This also came up in the OOT thread, and I honestly still don't understand how people could possibly believe that changing this LP format into something the LPer doesn't like could improve the LP in any way.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Exactly. In the end it's her LP and I like her style. It's like watching friends play videogames which is something I enjoy doing. Only difference is they're not my friends and I can't pipe in with my even worse jokes. I was never a big fan of video LP's until this Fae, gnome, FP, Artix, and their whole group started doing them, actually (although I enjoyed Artix's Fire Emblem LP's immensely and I think I even won a contest in one of them)

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Only difference is they're not my friends and I can't pipe in with my even worse jokes.

Check out Team Frog Nugget on twitter and hitbox. I have yet to be thrown out of the chat for terrible jokes so I think you'll be welcome.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The last session was indeed more directive than usual, but with the context of knowing it was cut short, it makes a lot of sense why it went that way. I imagine I wasn't the only one who was expecting more free exploration, and I don't think anyone should be chastised for pointing out it was a lil' odd with no context. Just a bit of miscommunication, I guess.

Plus, Fae won't need that much precise direction to work her way around NPC schedules when she's in dungeon and whatnot. All that to say that I too found the previous session a bit different, but that's not stopping me from enjoying the videos. :)

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I like Fae being directed a bit, but why aren't you encouraging her to look at the Bomber's Notebook at all? =(

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

WilliamAnderson posted:

I like Fae being directed a bit, but why aren't you encouraging her to look at the Bomber's Notebook at all? =(

True, I 100%ed the game and, way back, the bomber's notebook was a LOT of help to get some kind of direction, it tends to give little hints (and lets you know when to do something with someone) so between that and a LOT of exploration it's possible.

However, the direction is rather important. I've restarted loops due to missing something important and spent many a loop being useless trying to see how to do something so this LP is at a good level, I feel. It was hilarious to see, when Fae was finally in the inn when Anju is around, the desperate attempts at getting her to use the Kafei mask without actually stating it outright.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Fae struggles with the game enough as it is and I'd rather like to see it end sometime reasonable instead of endlessly waffling and getting nowhere.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

Glalev posted:

However, the direction is rather important. I've restarted loops due to missing something important and spent many a loop being useless trying to see how to do something so this LP is at a good level, I feel.

Yeah, considering how many times I had to reset time as a kid while figuring stuff out and then having to do a whole quest all over again, more guidance is probably better than less in the case of this game.

Which is incidentally also why it's one of my least favorite Zeldas. Bit of an unpopular opinion, I understand.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Keksen posted:

Which is incidentally also why it's one of my least favorite Zeldas. Bit of an unpopular opinion, I understand.

I hope it comes through in the videos (and I've been told it totally does) but I am completely head over heels in love with this game.

I can absolutely see why people dislike it though. You're cast into a strange, weird world that doesn't work the way you really think it should, you're given no real direction except "find these people and bring them to the apocalypse" and that's assuming you manage to get to the end of the first cycle, and finally you're on a very strict time limit. I completely understand being put off by just one of these things, when they're all together like that I can see where the dislikes come from.

For me at least, Silent Hill 2, The Void, Pathologic, Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose are some of my favourite games of all time. Its obvious that I am willing to forgive a little clunkiness and a few mechanical missteps if a game manages to nail its atmosphere, which this one does very very well. Everything is so creepy, uncanny valley weird. There are people and things that you recognise but they don't act or work like they're supposed to and that instantly puts you on edge. Termina is fuckin' weird and it revels in it and I absolutely cannot resist that in a game.

Glalev
Jan 28, 2009

Faerie Fortune posted:

I hope it comes through in the videos (and I've been told it totally does) but I am completely head over heels in love with this game.

I can absolutely see why people dislike it though. You're cast into a strange, weird world that doesn't work the way you really think it should, you're given no real direction except "find these people and bring them to the apocalypse" and that's assuming you manage to get to the end of the first cycle, and finally you're on a very strict time limit. I completely understand being put off by just one of these things, when they're all together like that I can see where the dislikes come from.

It's definitely clear you're enjoying yourself and I've been having a blast watching this LP. This is very much a self-driven adventure though, you're given a large world, loose instructions and new mechanics to figure out. Between that and the weird atmosphere, this is a very polarizing game. I'm definitely in the 'love it' faction though, the constant feeling of wrongness that the game inspires just -has- to be intentional with how persistent it is and that makes it a very unique direction for Nintendo to go in.

Did they ever make another game that went so out of its way to make you feel thigh deep in the uncanny valley?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Oooooooh I forgot about Rule of Rose. Where's my PS2?

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
It's not even the "wrongness" about the atmosphere that makes this my favorite Zelda of all time. It's the melancholy. It's the fact that even though you play the hero, and get to fix things, the things don't stay fixed. I mean, sure, we fixed clock town's great fairy, but reset time, and she's back to being broken again. And it's already been revealed that some quests are mutually exclusive... You CAN'T fix everything in the same cycle. This makes this game uniquely melancholy in a way no other game has ever been, before or since, to my knowledge.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'm sure there's a run out there somewhere that has the player doing all the quests and getting the good results on the last cycle

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm sure there's a run out there somewhere that has the player doing all the quests and getting the good results on the last cycle

That's Undertale. :haw:

You'd need to pull some very interesting glitches to do all the things in one cycle and if such a run exists, I really want to see it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

It's not possible, actually. There's at least one set of things that is mutually exclusive (and a second that is so tight it might as well be, if it isn't), but you can come drat close if you know what you're doing. The Single Cycle LP by smokyprogg however long ago is a great demonstration of just how much you can do, but it does a lot of stuff out of order and contains heavy spoilers for obvious reasons.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

There's a few up on YouTube, yeah.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I sure hope she isn't reading the thread right now... Isn't the above topic one of the largest and latest-known possible spoilers in the entire game? This is a blind run, not the MM general thread

Vvv: a little more detailed than that, i won't elaborate for obvious reasons

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 5, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That there's a final cycle? It's kinda implied by the fact that the game ends

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Artix posted:

It's not possible, actually. There's at least one set of things that is mutually exclusive (and a second that is so tight it might as well be, if it isn't), but you can come drat close if you know what you're doing. The Single Cycle LP by smokyprogg however long ago is a great demonstration of just how much you can do, but it does a lot of stuff out of order and contains heavy spoilers for obvious reasons.

The only explicitly mutually exclusive thing I can thing of is one event requiring a sub-quest success and the other requiring a fail of the same. I don't know if Fae has done both sides yet so I won't mention it here without affirmation that it's fair game.

Everything else can be done with super tight timing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ryushikaze posted:

I don't know if Fae has done ________, but I'll talk about it anyway

You're all right, I can't figure out where the spoilers are at all

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

Sentient Data posted:

I mean, to be fair, this fact is something that WAS directly addressed by artix. So as long as it doesn't go beyond

Artix posted:

There's at least one set of things that is mutually exclusive

It's not breaking rules.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Sentient Data posted:

The more you obsess over how others are spoiling the game, the more you are actually making the spoiling worse.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Yeah, if Fae can figure out what the hell I'm talking about from what little information that is, she has probably already done it? And I trust Artix to let me know if I'm giving away too much poo poo when discussing the thing he was talking about.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
So whenever I see the happy mask salesman's dialogue, I hear him in my head being voiced by Pyschedelic Eyeball.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Oh gods, Rule of Rose :psyduck:

That would be the last thing I needed to be reminded of before going to bed. Now I'm going to turn out the lights and just hear, "Jennifer~"

On a more related note, I'm finding the guidance to be just fine, and I'm also remembering Faerie Fortune going through the vast majority of OoT never using the shield, so I'm looking forward to that again :allears:

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte

CrazySalamander posted:

So whenever I see the happy mask salesman's dialogue, I hear him in my head being voiced by Pyschedelic Eyeball.

That's amazing :allears:

FicusArt
Dec 27, 2014

Why would I draw dudes when I could be drawing literally anything else?

CrazySalamander posted:

Where do we start the fundraiser to get Psychedelic Eyeball as a guest voice actor for this LP

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FicusArt posted:

Where do we start the fundraiser to get Psychedelic Eyeball as a guest voice actor for this LP

We're gonna have to have a Team Frog Nugget fire sale. We'll trade Tyty, Jamie, Jobbo, ACES and Blind Sally for Psychedelic Eyeball and video footage of Slowbeef, but no audio. We can't afford that.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Crow, after our last fundraiser you almost died. Now I'm not saying these things are connected but Go Go Nippon was pretty hard on us all!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

We're gonna have to have a Team Frog Nugget fire sale. We'll trade Tyty, Jamie, Jobbo, ACES and Blind Sally for Psychedelic Eyeball and video footage of Slowbeef, but no audio. We can't afford that.

Not necessarily. The Beef is becoming old news, now it's all about ShiddyCat.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Not necessarily. The Beef is becoming old news, now it's all about ShiddyCat.

Upstaged by your own wife, how about that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Faerie Fortune posted:

Crow, after our last fundraiser you almost died. Now I'm not saying these things are connected but Go Go Nippon was pretty hard on us all!

Speaking of fundraisers, when are you updating PoP2008, crow?

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

So I forgot to update the past week because I had a sinus infection. Oops. Here's a belated video to try and catch up, next one will be posted tomorrow to get me back on track!

Episode 10 - Properly Adorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Where's my cows?
Is that my cow?
It goes "C-Up C-Left C-Right C-Up C-Left C-Right".
It is Link's horse!
That is not my cow.