Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Wanting to say again anytime I hear Delta say "my motives are... Complex." I cringe because it just seems like such an asspull cop-out hand-waving of plot details that weren't tied up very well. I practically expected Delta to literally wave his hands as he said it.

Also, are we to believe that Akane is literally the only esper on a planet of billions of people with the resources and simply caring enough to do something about the extinction of the human race? Nobody else had their esper abilities awaken in such a time of immediate life-and-death crisis all around them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean when he said that he basically seemed to mean that he had multiple motives that were then explained.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I actually liked the Delta reveal, I thought it was clever and cleaned up a lot of loose ends. I had some problems with Delta as a character, but the actual idea of the blind, deaf old man in the wheelchair being there the whole time actually explained quite a bit.

It seems to be unfavorably compared to the "Sigma is old" twist from VLR a lot in this thread, which actually soured me on VLR a lot; it seemed almost unbelievably lazy to me that he would reuse literally the exact same twist from ---Ever17---.

Admittedly, I did groan a bit at the twist in ZTD being the same twist as the one in Sharin no Kuni, but that is by a completely different author and can't really be indicted for laziness :v:

e: Moved spoiler tags around for clarity, sorry about that. All spoiler tags are over the names of other games.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 5, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Wanting to say again anytime I hear Delta say "my motives are... Complex." I cringe because it just seems like such an asspull cop-out hand-waving of plot details that weren't tied up very well. I practically expected Delta to literally wave his hands as he said it.

Also, are we to believe that Akane is literally the only esper on a planet of billions of people with the resources and simply caring enough to do something about the extinction of the human race? Nobody else had their esper abilities awaken in such a time of immediate life-and-death crisis all around them?

Esper abilities are relatively rare. Few people are able to develop them even if they have them and some who do just end up with Reverie Syndrome instead. Most people who do develop them are either nuts or die (which INCLUDES Akane, she had to manipulate space-time to not die as a child.)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why is spoiling a completely different game in your spoiler tags okay. Thanks. :geno:

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Finished the game today, absolutely loved it. The Delta review totally blew my mind.

At the earlier stages I thought Eric was going to be revealed as Dio - I guess the voice actors have very similar voices, and their attitude seemed similar - I was proved very wrong later on of course.

Now I am really pumped up for the release of the 999 and VLR ports on Steam sometime in the near future, as confirmed today.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ImpAtom posted:

Esper abilities are relatively rare. Few people are able to develop them even if they have them and some who do just end up with Reverie Syndrome instead. Most people who do develop them are either nuts or die (which INCLUDES Akane, she had to manipulate space-time to not die as a child.)

The impression I got was that the vast majority of espers in the wild were like Carlos, using it subconsciously and just "going with their gut". It takes an incredibly contrived situation for people to actually develop their powers to the point where they control them, which basically only happens in large scale experiments designed specifically to do that. Of which the games are the only ones we know of.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 5, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

DoctorOfLawls posted:

Now I am really pumped up for the release of the 999 and VLR ports on Steam sometime in the near future, as confirmed today.
Seems like it would have made a lot more sense to release PC ports of 999 and VLR at the same time, if not before, you released the third game in the series, but :shrug:

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean when he said that he basically seemed to mean that he had multiple motives that were then explained.

Yeah, it was pretty much his way of saying "Shut up and give me a second to explain".

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

Linguica posted:

Seems like it would have made a lot more sense to release PC ports of 999 and VLR at the same time, if not before, you released the third game in the series, but :shrug:

The games have SHIFTed.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Linguica posted:

probably wanted to simul-launch ZTD on all platforms given that it was probably developed ground-up for PC. Their PC resources are also probably not high tier.

I dunno whose bright idea it was to launch in the middle of a Steam sale though. I didn't even see a 'now available' message.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

DoctorOfLawls posted:

At the earlier stages I thought Eric was going to be revealed as Dio - I guess the voice actors have very similar voices, and their attitude seemed similar - I was proved very wrong later on of course.

I thought they were going to delve a little deeper into Eric's/Mira's traumatic pasts since they were the only two completely new characters in the three teams. (They covered Sean fairly well in my opinion, and Diana was human-Luna, so that doesn't count.) Seeing Eric freeze every time he would flashback to his brother's death/dad's abuse was kind of nutty, but he just did an exposition of it, and that was it. I don't know if I should have expected more, but it just felt a little shallow.

He really was the worst character.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I have a feeling I liked Delta more than I should have just because of D. C. Douglas's insanely charismatic voice.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

cloofish posted:

I have a feeling I liked Delta more than I should have just because of D. C. Douglas's insanely charismatic voice.

That means the mind hacking is working.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
can someone explain why Delta just randomly shows up in that one timeline, apropos of nothing

did i miss a set-up or does he just have really good dramatic timing

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

I thought they were going to delve a little deeper into Eric's/Mira's traumatic pasts since they were the only two completely new characters in the three teams. (They covered Sean fairly well in my opinion, and Diana was human-Luna, so that doesn't count.) Seeing Eric freeze every time he would flashback to his brother's death/dad's abuse was kind of nutty, but he just did an exposition of it, and that was it. I don't know if I should have expected more, but it just felt a little shallow.

He really was the worst character.

carlos was new too wasn't he?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mandatory lesbian posted:

can someone explain why Delta just randomly shows up in that one timeline, apropos of nothing

Delta is always there

just no one on Q team looked at the blind, deaf man in the wheelchair at all over the course of their cutscenes, except Eric in one cutscene where he talks to the old man while petting Gab.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

What are you talking about, Delta was totally there the whole time. He's just camera shy.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
there's basically a long list of weird poo poo that goes on with Q team cutscenes that basically all makes sense in retrospect if there's a 4th person

but you're also conditioned that Q team cutscenes have a lot of weird poo poo given that its Eric and Mira doing most of the talking and they're both not sane

its also harder to pick up on since the game forces timeline jumps and breaks up pattern recognition

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Momomo posted:

What are you talking about, Delta was totally there the whole time. He's just camera shy.

i can't tell whether i like this being the twist i missed or me thinking he was just a showman

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Admittedly I like the showman interpretation more since the whole thing is ridiculous otherwise.

Does the name Q have any significance, by the way?

edit: I just realized Q = Kyu = 9. They pulled this same drat thing again.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 5, 2016

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
A lowercase q looks like a 9 :v:

Voisk
May 9, 2013
Alright now that I've had some time to sleep on the ending, I've put some more thought into a few things.

First of all addressing the major plot twist of the game, "Q was a different person there the whole time!" I've seen it said a number of times it's a twist more for the twist's sake. There's very little reason the camera angles, memories, or... anything at all would not show him for most of the story. The only way I can view this as being just a cheap story gimmick is by filling in a few details (That I hope I'm right about).

First of all addressing who the target of the information tampering would be... It would have to be the Player/BW/?, take your pick on which one you prefer. The people in universe wouldn't be fooled by odd angles from a camera so it's obviously directed at an outside observer.

Next we need to frame what the objective is... Delta had two main objectives. Be born and get some initiative on world saving business. This trick would primarily help with the second objective I feel.

The following question is "Why?" which is a bit more hypothetical. Ultimately I think it would be to prevent Pl/BW/? from messing up the project... that or becoming more emotionally invested in it. Because Delta wanted people inspired to save the world he could also be working to make sure a omni-prescent entity also is interested in the well being of the world. You could phrase it as, "Make players interested in the story so they'll buy the next game" as easily as saying, "Make BW/? invested in what's going on so it keeps helping".

Finally the "How"... If you think about Q team who he is around for most of the game it makes a certain amount of sense. Eric and Mira are not shifters, which at least in the Zero Escape series we have not had a story focus from non-shifters that I remember. As for Q while sort of a shifter he has weird robot stuff going on and he was brought about by Delta. There could be some forced mental block at work there. Not to mention this is the most mentally unstable team with one of the members actively working with

Now how would Delta know about this mysterious entity from the future? That's one of the weaker points in my theory. Especially considering that Pl/BW/? wasn't brought up in the game at all. Perhaps older Sigma is aware of it subconsciously and that's how he gets the information? Other shifters know about it somehow? I can only wildly guess on this part.

Overall this theory is very... fragile. It relies a lot on, "I think" and "This makes the most sense to me" kind of logic. Feel free to add to it/shoot it down as you see fit.

As for other things... I can't really logic my way around how they wrote Sigma. He didn't feel really... useful. I didn't get the vibe he had prepared a large portion of his life and ran a murder game just for this event.

Though I did find it pretty funny when Diana just non-nonchalantly said to Sigma, "Oh your talking about how you said you came from the future?" This meant Sigma just introduced himself to people with, "Yo I'm from the future and here to save the world!" and everyone just ignored him.

Oh I also loved the part where Eric shoots a grenade launcher at someone less than three feet away from him. I spent the entire time criticizing Eric for bringing a grenade launcher to a Mexican standoff. I really wish he had just killed them all there.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Voisk posted:

Though I did find it pretty funny when Diana just non-nonchalantly said to Sigma, "Oh your talking about how you said you came from the future?" This meant Sigma just introduced himself to people with, "Yo I'm from the future and here to save the world!" and everyone just ignored him.

If you haven't seen it already, there's a game prologue in the Premium Artbook. To sum it up, everyone's response to him was "this guy's crazy, he should be locked up", and Carlos (the appointed leader) basically said "I don't want to jeopardize my money, not happening". Meanwhile, Akane and Phi berate Sigma for being an idiot and drawing attention to them.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

So did Junpei infiltrate the Mars mission solely to propose to Akane after not seeing her for a year

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Jintor posted:

So did Junpei infiltrate the Mars mission solely to propose to Akane after not seeing her for a year

new junpei does what he wants when he wants

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Voisk posted:

Alright now that I've had some time to sleep on the ending, I've put some more thought into a few things.

First of all addressing the major plot twist of the game, "Q was a different person there the whole time!" I've seen it said a number of times it's a twist more for the twist's sake. There's very little reason the camera angles, memories, or... anything at all would not show him for most of the story. The only way I can view this as being just a cheap story gimmick is by filling in a few details (That I hope I'm right about).

The way the reveal is framed implies that the reason you don't see Q is because you're looking through his eyes. Sean turns towards the camera and points directly at you. In other words, the reason he's never on camera is because he's the one holding the camera at all times, and the apparently third person camera angles (unlike 999 or VLR) are just a trick. Now, obviously this doesn't make literal sense because of how quickly the camera moves around in the scenes, not to mention what happens in all the scenes after he's revealed, but that's the basic idea I believe they were going for.

Although given that he was in charge of the entire facility, it's possible that he programmed the security cameras to never look at him? Other scenes imply that the player is only seeing events through hidden security cameras, such as when Sean hacks the computer.

Voisk
May 9, 2013

Cyouni posted:

If you haven't seen it already, there's a game prologue in the Premium Artbook. To sum it up, everyone's response to him was "this guy's crazy, he should be locked up", and Carlos (the appointed leader) basically said "I don't want to jeopardize my money, not happening". Meanwhile, Akane and Phi berate Sigma for being an idiot and drawing attention to them.

Man I forgot that was a thing. I should go read it.

Clarste posted:

The way the reveal is framed implies that the reason you don't see Q is because you're looking through his eyes. Sean turns towards the camera and points directly at you. In other words, the reason he's never on camera is because he's the one holding the camera at all times, and the apparently third person camera angles (unlike 999 or VLR) are just a trick. Now, obviously this doesn't make literal sense because of how quickly the camera moves around in the scenes, not to mention what happens in all the scenes after he's revealed, but that's the basic idea I believe they were going for.

Although given that he was in charge of the entire facility, it's possible that he programmed the security cameras to never look at him? Other scenes imply that the player is only seeing events through hidden security cameras, such as when Sean hacks the computer.

Yeah Sean turning off the cameras to end the scene does support that our view is all via cameras.

I guess he could have had some kind of program that simply deletes any footage where he appears on it. Add an ungodly number of cameras and you'll end up with perfect shots that just barely manage to cut him out of the picture.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Voisk posted:

I guess he could have had some kind of program that simply deletes any footage where he appears on it. Add an ungodly number of cameras and you'll end up with perfect shots that just barely manage to cut him out of the picture.

That's probable, especially given Junpei's very eloquent description of the security cameras he works with.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Jintor posted:

It's slightly more sane than grandpa Junpei taking a rocket to the Moon with Quark in tow just from the mere mention of Akane's name. That's literally all it took.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Voisk posted:

Yeah Sean turning off the cameras to end the scene does support that our view is all via cameras.

The man has an alien time travel device. I would believe anything about his facility.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Is there some kind of running tally for each character's direct kill count by the end of the game? I mean Eric/Mira are probably on top, Phi/Sigma are relatively bloodless, and Team C kill each other every other jump.

I think in my mind the rough leaderboard is:

1. Mira
2. Eric
3. Carlos
4. Akane
5. Diana
6. Sean
7. Junpei
8. Sigma
9. Phi
10. Delta

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jul 5, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Clarste posted:

That would mean Delta is moving around on his wheelchair an awful lot just so he wouldn't be caught on camera. Just imagine dramatic scenes where Eric is threatening everyone with a shotgun again and there's an old man in a wheelchair constantly spinning in circles and moving back and forth, just so the camera doesn't show him.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Sigma was kind of disappointing. Playing VLR made me expect him to do some of the shifting, but when the teams start learning how to fully control it results in team Carlos learning how to shift freely while team Diana gets left behind and blown up by the reactor offscreen. The guy from "The man on the moon rules the infinite time." is completely reliant on alien fax machines.

Fun bit: Sigma, Diana and twins starved to death next to a fully stocked pantry room (the dismembered Junpei one), but it wasn't part of their ward. Diana never made the discovery that all three wards are the same in that timeline.

Orabilis fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jul 5, 2016

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Voisk posted:

Also keep in mind how the view goes static at the beginning and end of every scene as well as the blue screens with monitor scan lines at the game over screen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

astr0man posted:

A lowercase q looks like a 9 :v:

The Q door was also the hidden 10th door in 999.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I only just realized that Delta's motives for starting the Nonary Games, unleashing Radical-6, and everything else he's done, are literally the same as M's from that one sci-fi movie

Orabilis posted:

Fun bit: Sigma, Diana and twins starved to death next to a fully stocked pantry room (the dismembered Junpei one), but it wasn't part of their ward. Diana never made the discovery that all three wards are the same in that timeline.

They survived for ten months so I would assume they stumbled on it at some point.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

i can't tell whether i like this being the twist i missed or me thinking he was just a showman

considering the # of times they framed the camera shots so he wasn't there, it was definitely a twist

though as I said, there's a lot of weird poo poo that goes on, but they also build it up as the game goes on, and it does actually tell you Q is Delta before you have to give an answer during a cutscene.

just in an obfuscated manner

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Really Pants posted:

I only just realized that Delta's motives for starting the Nonary Games, unleashing Radical-6, and everything else he's done, are literally the same as M's from that one sci-fi movie

They survived for ten months so I would assume they stumbled on it at some point.

It also makes me wonder - how hard would it be to find some way out of the shelter if you got several months, a robotics workshop and various labs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Voisk posted:

I would be cool with this twist if it made sense by q's shadows appearing in C team and D team stuff, if he needed to be there with Q team to do ~MIND HACKING~ then why didn't he need to be there for those two in the acid bath rooms to make diana and carlos push the button? if he did his fancy mind hacking stuff through cameras then why did he need to be there with Q team at all? If it's the player who's actually delta and you're the person mindhacking them from your decision game magic then why can you do it in a number of situations where delta ain't there or is just dead. (Force quit decision game as a good example)

Like poo poo, it makes as much sense to say "THE PLAYER IS GAB!"

• Locked thread