Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
Someone make one of these fuckers drink a cup of coffee, please. This is starting to drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Much like when I actually played FSA, this run is about twice as long as it needs to be.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

This run is pretty neat, the game is just too long.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Eonwe posted:

kinda losing interest in this run

it's not very good i'm afraid

a shame the other zelda one was mundo good

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Eonwe posted:

Yeah I'm out. Really long speed runs really only work for me with like top tier games. I watched all 5 or whatever hours of Chrono Trigger the last time it was played, but I'm not feeling it for this.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

super mario rpg this time

im literally devastated

paper mario is the only reason for video games to exist how could they not do paper mario

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

This would be more interesting if it was a four player run. And then as long as they had the crazy five screen set up, they could follow it up with a speedrun of that Final Fantasy game.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

im literally devastated

paper mario is the only reason for video games to exist how could they not do paper mario

SMRPG is a good speedgame, and LackAttack24 is a good speedrunner. It will be an excellent closer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheMadMilkman posted:

SMRPG is a good speedgame, and LackAttack24 is a good speedrunner. It will be an excellent closer.

:agreed:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can only take so much of puns and "this game sucks" over and over

actually thats not true i love puns

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eonwe posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I had to tap out. It was interesting at first because some of those skips were really neat, but they just don't have the energy to carry this game for 2+ hours.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

hey, are there many goons in town for this event? i live here in minneapolis, if there's any interest i could set up a fun meetup for us this week :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

dont play this game guys *has world record* this game sucks its broken its so bad its not very well made because i'm one of 10 people in the world who mashed buttons in the corner of a wall over and over until i went through it

remember when cramer_ played MGR revengeance

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Random Stranger posted:

This would be more interesting if it was a four player run. And then as long as they had the crazy five screen set up, they could follow it up with a speedrun of that Final Fantasy game.

The single player systems break the game so much that most people aren't even interested in trying 4 player outside of the technical and geographical limitations involved.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Quest For Glory II posted:

dont play this game guys *has world record* this game sucks its broken its so bad its not very well made because i'm one of 10 people in the world who mashed buttons in the corner of a wall over and over until i went through it

there are only a couple runners in GDQ history who have really carried a run with the self hating speedrunner schtick

you gotta really feel like they believe it, like witwix

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Is there a speed reason why a bunch of these games are in their native Japanese? Because if I can't read the text, I'm lost about whats going on and its less of a "hey, I should play this" situation.

e: echoing this run being boring. I fell asleep for a good hour or so.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

SeXReX posted:

The single player systems break the game so much that most people aren't even interested in trying 4 player outside of the technical and geographical limitations involved.

Except that watching 4 friends play this together would be more interesting than this is.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

Is there a speed reason why a bunch of these games are in their native Japanese? Because if I can't read the text, I'm lost about whats going on and its less of a "hey, I should play this" situation.

yes, it depends on the game, but generally speaking japanese text is faster to get through than other text

some games are an exception, I believe gta vice city does french

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Was this good or bad?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

hey, are there many goons in town for this event? i live here in minneapolis, if there's any interest i could set up a fun meetup for us this week :)

I almost went up there for this but then I realised how dumb driving 5 1/2 hours to watch über-dorks play video games all week was.

Shame too, because the hotel is literally five blocks from my sister's place.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

The text is a lot more compressed since they can write words with a single symbol. Because there's less text, there's less textboxes to scroll through and the game is faster.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infidel Castro posted:

I almost went up there for this but then I realised how dumb driving 5 1/2 hours to watch über-dorks play video games all week was.

if you enjoy yourself, not very dumb at all

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SeXReX posted:

But think, they're be guaranteed a world record. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

Was this good or bad?
if it was a troll it was very good because they spent the entire run making GBS threads on the game and said they hated the soundtrack

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Eonwe posted:

yes, it depends on the game, but generally speaking japanese text is faster to get through than other text

some games are an exception, I believe gta vice city does french

They said that for this one the only time difference is in the initial text. There may be some glitches that don't exist in the English version.

I know that SMRPG will be in English, and that the GDQ staff specifically requested the English version.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Yeah but Paper Mario

i mean come on man

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MisterBibs posted:

What Your Computer said, and because a lot of games have exploitable glitches in the Japanese version that got patched out for international releases.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Eonwe posted:

if you enjoy yourself, not very dumb at all

Let me rephrase: I don't really see how attending live would be any better than watching the stream.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

drunken officeparty posted:

Yeah but Paper Mario

i mean come on man

Ya, I know. I love me some Paper Mario.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Infidel Castro posted:

you could've taken megabus probably. also there is more to minneapolis than sgdq! especially during the summer when you can go down to the lakes and chat up cute scandinavian girls :3:

also girls from like literally most countries lol

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Not to mention that the japanese version is generally the first 1.0 version of a lot of games, aka. the least patched version. A lot of insane bugs get fixed during the time it takes for the games to get an english release.

e: what Pakled said

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Infidel Castro posted:

Let me rephrase: I don't really see how attending live would be any better than watching the stream.

thats very true

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
has anyone gotten febreezed this year yet

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The list of games this year looked lovely.

I caught ed edd and eddy and was pleasantly surprised. Anything else interesting so far?

Luckily I missed the megaman stuff.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you could've taken megabus probably. also there is more to minneapolis than sgdq! especially during the summer when you can go down to the lakes and chat up cute scandinavian girls :3:

also girls from like literally most countries lol

Oh, I know man. I love the Cities. We'll have to chill next time I'm up there.

Also was the Megaman stuff really that bad? I love the series, so is that enough or are we talking lovely runners/commentary?

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

Nemo2342 posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I had to tap out. It was interesting at first because some of those skips were really neat, but they just don't have the energy to carry this game for 2+ hours.

Yeah agreed. Yesterday was great. I don't like megaman or Zelda games so today has been kind of poo poo for me.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Infidel Castro posted:

The joy of attending is supposed to be found in hanging out in the casual room playing dumb games together.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Is this snoozefest almost over, or do we really have another 40 minutes of this?

Eonwe posted:

has anyone gotten febreezed this year yet

Didn't they actually put in a condition for attendees to not stink like a truck driver's taint a while back?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SectumSempra posted:

The list of games this year looked lovely.

I caught ed edd and eddy and was pleasantly surprised. Anything else interesting so far?

Luckily I missed the megaman stuff.

The Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze race was really good. The commentary was top-notch and the competitors were close the whole way through and there was a lot of trading of the lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

Ya, I know. I love me some Paper Mario.

I was mocked in the thread during the winter GDQ for only talking about paper mario

but it was all worth it

id do anything for paper mario

• Locked thread