Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Problem: Your school color would be brown.

Brown and yellow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Literally gently caress Laramie

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Problem: Your school color would be brown.

And PRAIRIE GOLD, SIR :mad:

Ross Angeles posted:

:ssj:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Ross Angeles posted:

I can't fathom someone having strong opinions about Laramie

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

rebel1608 posted:

I can't fathom someone having strong opinions about Laramie

Seeing as how San Diego State and Wyoming have been in the same conference forever, there's probably a reason his hatred.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Back when I was going to school I went to a bunch of away games for basketball (gently caress yeah student loans) and getting to Laramie was a loving pain in the rear end. It didn't help that we scored 9 points in the first half and lost when we were ranked in the top 15.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ross Angeles posted:

Back when I was going to school I went to a bunch of away games for basketball (gently caress yeah student loans) and getting to Laramie was a loving pain in the rear end. It didn't help that we scored 9 points in the first half and lost when we were ranked in the top 15.

THE DOME OF DOOM

Also: ":qq: travel is hard" - Ross

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Dr_Strangelove posted:

":qq: travel is hard"

San Diego State could be chilling in the American, but ":qq: travel is hard"

Which is how Tulsa got into the American in the first place btw so thanks for that douches

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Hell, Wyoming has a solid PE program. And it's cheap, even out-of-state. Go there and get better scenery.

"May as well save some money and go to Wyoming"

- Someone who will soon want to kill themself

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

PostNouveau posted:

"May as well save some money and go to Wyoming"

- Someone who will soon want to kill themself

I've been to Chyenne and thought it was nice. It kind of reminded me of the Windows XP default desktop background.

I'd say Wyoming is the perfect place for you if you hate people, but not enough to live in New Mexico.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 25, 2016

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Even after your explanations I'm still kind of confused about why everyone is mad at Tulsa. They have a solid overall athletic department and pretty decent academic standing.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

General Dog posted:

I've been to Chyenne and thought it was nice. It kind of reminded me of the Windows XP default desktop background.

I'd say Wyoming is the perfect place for you if you hate people, but not enough to live in New Mexico.

Isn't K-State the go-to "I hate people and long for death" college?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Wyoming is really pretty

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

MourningView posted:

Wyoming is really pretty

Parts of it are. Other parts are not at all.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

a god drat idiot posted:

Even after your explanations I'm still kind of confused about why everyone is mad at Tulsa. They have a solid overall athletic department and pretty decent academic standing.

Tulsa isn't really worth being mad about, but they're also not really worth considering: a private school with an enrollment smaller than any FBS school that doesn't require your congressman's permission for enrollment in a small media market. On top of that, they're #3 in their own town by a pretty vast margin. They're not a bad school or anything, but they're behind everyone else being discussed in every metric.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

drunk leprechaun posted:

Parts of it are. Other parts are not at all.

The strip mines out west are not at all charming.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Strip mines mean progress and a more powerful America for tomorrow!

Black Thunder puts out a hundred million tons a year. How's there even that much coal down there!? poo poo, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky must be hollow underneath at this point, if they're all played out by now.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Hey guess where I lived and worked when I was in Wyoming?

Sash! posted:

Strip mines mean progress and a more powerful America for tomorrow!

Black Thunder puts out a hundred million tons a year. How's there even that much coal down there!? poo poo, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Kentucky must be hollow underneath at this point, if they're all played out by now.

Geologic scales can be fun to comprehend. And yeah there are mountains in central Appalachia that are so mined out that it's insane. WVU had some really interesting research a few years ago about how you model the stresses in situations like that when the columns of coal left in the various seams don't line up at all. Mining engineering is fun!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dr_Strangelove posted:

The Tetons in Wyoming are charming.

And so are the mountains too.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dr_Strangelove posted:

Bingham Canyon mine is cool though.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

computer parts posted:

The Tetons in Wyoming are charming.

And so are the mountains too.

INDEED :rimshot:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
On the Cincy front it is probably not a great sign that the school president, who had been reportedly traveling around lobbying Big 12 people, opted out of his contract super early to go to a (admittedly really big) school in Canada.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Big XII... hasn't decided on whether to expand or not yet?

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa-state/football/2016/07/05/big-12-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/86717604/

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Bob Bowlbsy being allowed to run an entire conference continues to be really funny

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

they won't

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Big XII announced today they're considering adding 2 or 4 teams. Guess the ACC announcement spooked 'em.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Honestly has seemed like the only sane thing to do all along to me. Sure other than maybe BYU there's no one out there to land that will be super profitable in the short term, but it seems like it adds a little protection for the next time Texas decides they want to jump ship or pisses enough schools off that they put the conference in danger again.

By waiting they screwed themselves out of a few schools that are better than anything out there now.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

Honestly has seemed like the only sane thing to do all along to me. Sure other than maybe BYU there's no one out there to land that will be super profitable in the short term, but it seems like it adds a little protection for the next time Texas decides they want to jump ship or pisses enough schools off that they put the conference in danger again.

By waiting they screwed themselves out of a few schools that are better than anything out there now.

don't you want a west coast presence, big 12.

please god take our call

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

The only school that we screwed ourselves out of was Lousiville, and that was because TCU got in the ear of UT's AD. The expansion targets now are the same as they have been since the last round settled.

Ross Angeles posted:

please god take our call

I would so love SDSU, but man, you guys are so far away!

e: then again, we're considering UConn, so... Banzai!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

The only school that we screwed ourselves out of was Lousiville, and that was because TCU got in the ear of UT's AD. The expansion targets now are the same as they have been since the last round settled.

Pitt was around weren't they? Not that they're some great pickup either but I think I'd choose them over some schools that you're going to be looking at if they actually do add four. Louisville's the main one you missed though, true.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ross Angeles posted:

please god take our call

The wvu sdsu coast to coast classic

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the Big 12 needs to go Big 14 now. With the ACC's grant of rights going to 2036, there is no good reason not to go whole hog now on inviting the AAC's most visible schools.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Ross Angeles posted:

please god take our call

The timezone thing would be a problem.

Honestly just let Texas, OU, OSU, Kansas, and WVU leave and the rest of the Big 12 can fold into the MWC. There'd still be a timezone problem but at least it would only cover 3 timezones instead of 4.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jul 19, 2016

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Grittybeard posted:

Pitt was around weren't they? Not that they're some great pickup either but I think I'd choose them over some schools that you're going to be looking at if they actually do add four. Louisville's the main one you missed though, true.

Pitt was added at the same time or before Lousiville. They weren't really an option because WVU wanted to stick it to 'em and we wanted WVU more.

Big XII could have gone back to 12 with Pitt and Lousiville along with WVU and TCU, but the guys in charge of the Big XII at that time were even worse than the guys in charge now. It's not like they waited and missed, this all happened in the course of a week or two.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ok uconn, sdsu, usf, tulane. I mean if we're doing this, let's do it right.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PostNouveau posted:

I would unironically be totally down with Tulane. They even fit in pretty well geographically.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Tulane, NDSU, Missouri, Nebraska

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thoguh posted:

I would unironically be totally down with Tulane. They even fit in pretty well geographically.

Yeah, Tulane is my #15 if 16 teams is the goal. Totally serious on it.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

Switch usf with Cincy and it's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Thoguh posted:

Tulane, NDSU, Missouri, Nebraska

Kick the Texas schools out, bring back Nebraska Missouri and Colorado.

Sure it's suicide financially but I grew up on the Big 8 damnit. Bring back the SWC too and let them cheat as much as they want to.

• Locked thread