Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

Have they done Binding of Isaac before? I can't imagine how you could speedrun it in a way that's satisfying considering how random it is

Several times, in fact. One was a race where one player immediately got like Guppy+Max's Head+Brimstone while the other person barely got a stat up so the first person finished really quickly and then we had to awkwardly watch the other person struggle to even finish. It went over time and was so bad I still cringe thinking about it. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

How were the Spyro and Ratchet runs? Was looking forward to both but was at work and will have to watch the VODs.

Also, for anyone familiar with the Dishonored and Wolfenstein runs, as someone who hasn't played through either but is planning on playing both in the near future, are they worth watching without having played them, and will they spoil any events of either game?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
When did they change the menu since he bought it?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
the crazy thing about binding of isaac is that for someone even remotely competent, its super consistent

there are people who beat the game 100 times in a row, and its not necessarily something super special. The people they've picked have been dogshit. Last year they did seeds.

All I know is if they can put in a necrodancer run where even mistiming the beat means the run starts over, then they can find a binding of isaac streamer who can consistently beat isaac.

gently caress, I can consistently beat Isaac/Mega Satan/etc and I'm nowhere near the best player by any means

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

bioshock infinite sucks dude

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I really liked Bioshock when it came out.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

People can beat BOI 100% of the time regardless of what the rng does but yeah there's no way to ensure it won't take forever

Your Computer posted:

I only speedrun games of chance. I'm currently routing my Yahtzee world record pace run.

Which reminds me, I can't see Binding of Isaac on the list this event which is very good news.

I've been thinking of speedrunning my next fishing trip

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
RE: Binding of Isaac

Not to mention the "race" was on Binding of Isaac: Rebirth which has seeds. Why couldn't they do a race of skill using the same seed to eliminate RNG? "What about screen-peeking"

Trash Boat posted:

How were the Spyro and Ratchet runs? Was looking forward to both but was at work and will have to watch the VODs.

They were nice, glitchy 3D platformer runs and I enjoyed them :3:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

mandatory lesbian posted:

I liked Infinite too when it came out :ohdear:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its amazing how on low there isn't fire or anything, lol

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Even the runner said it. It must be true.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Trash Boat posted:

ratchet was good, didn't see spyro

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Does he have textures set to low or something? I don't remember the game looking this bad.

SevenStringGuru
Jun 6, 2003

Bob Loblaw Law covers all injuries, including those sustained while trying to 4x4 a segway.

Nothing is pointless and the reason is, because I'm the President. of the Great United States. of America!

Social Media
Jan 21, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

This isn't the Awful Games block.

:drat:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Chat is pretty furious about him picking easy :v:

Man I have such fond memories of this game. It looks pretty dated now and it's probably not as good as I remember it gameplay wise but that reveal is just mwah *does italian spicy meatball gesture*

edit: Oh I guess he's playing on low?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
system shock II looking pretty good

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Chat is pretty furious about him picking easy :v:

Man I have such fond memories of this game. It looks pretty dated now and it's probably not as good as I remember it gameplay wise but that reveal is just mwah *does italian spicy meatball gesture*

I think it looks so dated because he has all the graphics options as low as possible, it actually generally looks much better

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
e: stop answering my questions before I ask them

Bioshock Infinite is an okay game that really exposed that Rapture is Bioshock's main character, and without it half the interest is gone.

... is this dude playing on some really lovely computer, settings down for speed, or has Bioshock just not aged well?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sir Tonk posted:

I liked Infinite too when it came out :ohdear:

i think people might have been okay with the gameplay (tho personally i didnt see it as anything special) but the story...

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Trash Boat posted:

Pretty good

quote:

Also, for anyone familiar with the Dishonored and Wolfenstein runs, as someone who hasn't played through either but is planning on playing both in the near future, are they worth watching without having played them, and will they spoil any events of either game?

Sorta? They skip pretty much every cutscene in Dishonored, but you'll still get rune locations IIRC. I don't remember what ending Any% gets, though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Eonwe posted:

I think it looks so dated because he has all the graphics options as low as possible, it actually generally looks much better

I assume it's cause of loading times but man I'd honestly prefer a slightly slower run so the game could look better

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

drunken officeparty posted:

People can beat BOI 100% of the time regardless of what the rng does but yeah there's no way to ensure it won't take forever

The game is mostly fair which is why I like it (though after the latest updates it's gotten more and more RNG) and like you say it's rarely ever a problem of "can I finish the run". However, the speed at which you finish the run depends 100% on RNG. What monsters you fight, what stat-ups you get, what items, what tear effects. It's like the game was designed to be as speedrun-unfriendly as possible.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MisterBibs posted:

Bioshock Infinite is an okay game that really exposed that Rapture is Bioshock's main character, and without it half the interest is gone.

... is this dude playing on some really lovely computer, settings down for speed, or has Bioshock just not aged well?

I think its a decent computer, but very low settings because FPS

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Trash Boat posted:

Spyro run owned, it was a race where they kept going out of bounds with proxy jumps, swimming in air, tricking the game with a death state etc.

Right at the end the runners were like 2 seconds apart until on guy choked, they ended 20 seconds apart so yeah, it was neat

The RC1 run was okay, it had cool tech but the commentary felt like it consisted entirely of in-jokes that the couch kept giggling about. Lots of out of bounds stuff in this one as well

As for the Dishonored run, I saw a race at a previous GDQ that had both runners hit like a 10% chance game breaking glitch at the same time or something, it was wild

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

MisterBibs posted:

I love Bioshock to death, but even I recognize that it is 99% atmosphere.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
put a 1080 in that rig, bro

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Bioshock was great when it came out

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eonwe posted:

I think its a decent computer, but very low settings because FPS

PC gamers :argh:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
pretend i posted that who is john galt speech here

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Eonwe posted:

pretend i posted that who is john galt speech here

http://galtse.cx/

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that cutscene skip is sweet tho

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

i think people might have been okay with the gameplay (tho personally i didnt see it as anything special) but the story...

The gameplay was okay but yeah the story is hot garbage. The world design gets weighed down by the incredibly cringey plot.

McNutty posted:

I love Bioshock to death, but even I recognize that it is 99% atmosphere.

Pretty much.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Would you kindly?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

PC gamers :argh:

I think it's a speed-running thing. Have to make those frames count!

It'd never happen, but I'd have so much schadenfreude if the folks behind GDQ went to the runners and said "We need these games looking pretty as well as fast, use X settings or we won't include you".

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While some games have glitches that depend on frame perfect inputs, other games have glitches that depend on the FPS which is probably why they're playing with potato settings.

I think Dishonored has a major glitch that requires like 170+ FPS to work properly.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Bioshock Infinite story is really cool if you've never read a book before in your life

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
I played Bioshock in like 2013 or 14 on a pretty good computer and I remember it not looking too great but this is definitely playing on low.
I also remember it crashing a bunch, so I wanna see if that happens

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm enjoying this game about floors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
DIGNITY

• Locked thread