Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Centripetal Horse posted:

The thing I like about Voyager is that it's no longer on the air. I felt stupider just from having the radiation carrying that terrible show pass through my head on its way to some trailer park television.

lmbo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah I bet Star Trek: Voyager was real popular in the trailer parks.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

shadow puppet of a posted:

I think these three were the most ridiculous motherfuckers in either quadrant.

Imagine struggling to get an emergency colony off the ground and thriving and suddenly you've got a bunch of cosplay shitbags constantly slaying yarbears and knife fighting eachother.

at least in this alternative timeline Miles O'Brien escaped his killjoy wife.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Chomp8645 posted:

My babysitter lived in a trailer park and loved star trek and had a bunch of collector glasses.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Baronjutter posted:

lol loving voyager. I love how absolutely random their ethics were. "no, this holligram that looks like a bad guy would be wrong" "No, we won't help your people in exchange for getting home faster because that would be cheating!" "Murder or even genocide is sometimes ok if the people are bad or irritate us" "All holograms have RIGHTS! Except spoon head ones!"

Every writers meeting was just them saying "okay, what's the most absolutely loving retarded way they could react to this situation? Yes, let's do that"

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Why did they let everybody except the guy who played Harry Kim direct an episode? Was there an actual reason or did the character transcend into the actor and the writers just hated the gently caress out of him?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Klingon women liking to be bitten while they gently caress is a very interesting factoid and I'm glad no one was masturbating while inventing Klingon sexuality.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Chomp8645 posted:

Why would you think it's not?

Hector Beerlioz posted:

My babysitter lived in a trailer park and loved star trek and had a bunch of collector glasses.

Boom. Anecdotal evidence for the win.

Edit:

Decrepus posted:

Klingon women liking to be bitten while they gently caress is a very interesting factoid and I'm glad no one was masturbating while inventing Klingon sexuality.

This is not limited to Klingons.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
KLINGON

MATING

RITUAL

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Trailer park people being into a show where jobs are voluntary and currency doesn't exist isn't a big shocker

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Trailer park people being into a show where jobs are voluntary and currency doesn't exist isn't a big shocker

I knew some people who were not at all into scify or trek who got into voyager just because of 7's tits. It played well in certain markets.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

lol loving voyager. I love how absolutely random their ethics were. "no, this holligram that looks like a bad guy would be wrong"

It wasn't about the hologram looking like the guy, it was specifically that they were benefiting from research carried out under conditions most people would find contemptible. Using said research would validate the means by which it was obtained, in effect encouraging future Mengeles. Unfortunately... all that research was already contained in their Starfleet database which would lead most people to assume the Federation had approved its use, at least tacitly, making their own moral dilemma sorta pointless. Then again I suppose it was all the Maquis guys actually throwing a hissy fit over it so the Federation stamp of approval doesn't mean much to them anyway.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Mondian posted:

It wasn't about the hologram looking like the guy, it was specifically that they were benefiting from research carried out under conditions most people would find contemptible. Using said research would validate the means by which it was obtained, in effect encouraging future Mengeles. Unfortunately... all that research was already contained in their Starfleet database which would lead most people to assume the Federation had approved its use, at least tacitly, making their own moral dilemma sorta pointless. Then again I suppose it was all the Maquis guys actually throwing a hissy fit over it so the Federation stamp of approval doesn't mean much to them anyway.

If that logic were followed, we would have to discard a lot of modern medicine. Starfleet exists on our timeline, so they would also have to discard poo poo tons of medicine that we've gotten by disgusting abuse of human beings. "I'm going to have to let you die of the space flu because I don't want to use methods developed using shady research," results in all the victims of the research still being victims of the research, plus one guy dead from space flu.

Edit: Holy poo poo. I must have forgotten where I was. Am I actually attempting to engage in a serious conversation involving the bioethics of medical holograms from Star Trek Vichyssoise?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I mean, space travel as a whole owes nearly everything to the Nazis, so the whole "we can't ethically let this dude help" is total bullshit

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

The image of a red-nosed, hammered Gene Roddenberry gesticulating wildly while describing the Ferengi's enormous prehensile penis that all women lusted for sustains me in these dark JJTrek times.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Why did they let everybody except the guy who played Harry Kim direct an episode? Was there an actual reason or did the character transcend into the actor and the writers just hated the gently caress out of him?

I think it was all intertwined, the actor was supposedly a piece of poo poo and constantly late etc., he was supposed to be killed off instead of Kes, but who knows if he was that way all along or if he just stopped giving a poo poo after playing Harry Kim for long enougn.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

It's pretty hosed up that after establishing holograms are people (sometimes) it's ok to just shut them down. They help some ship of hologram people but have no problem turning off their irish gently caress toys when done with them. Where do they draw the line? Considering the computer constantly accidentally creates fully sentient holograms, and if you leave a hologram on for more than an hour it seems to become sentient anyways, where do they draw the god drat line?

Blood Shart
Sep 23, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

It's pretty hosed up that after establishing holograms are people (sometimes) it's ok to just shut them down. They help some ship of hologram people but have no problem turning off their irish gently caress toys when done with them. Where do they draw the line? Considering the computer constantly accidentally creates fully sentient holograms, and if you leave a hologram on for more than an hour it seems to become sentient anyways, where do they draw the god drat line?

The line must be drawn here!
https://youtu.be/Jln3mi0vfJU

Holograms are only lifeforms with rights when it isn't an inconvenience. Probably the most Human anyone acts on Star Trek.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

AugmentedVision posted:

I think it was all intertwined, the actor was supposedly a piece of poo poo and constantly late etc., he was supposed to be killed off instead of Kes, but who knows if he was that way all along or if he just stopped giving a poo poo after playing Harry Kim for long enougn.

I remember hearing something about his character being scheduled for die until some magazine declared him a Sexy Wang.

(That's actually a pretty good place to draw the line, given they're trying to change history.)

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Volcott posted:

I remember hearing something about his character being scheduled for die until some magazine declared him a Sexy Wang.

(That's actually a pretty good place to draw the line, given they're trying to change history.)

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Volcott posted:

They knew they were bringing in Jeri Ryan, and needed to lose a character. Harry was, for obvious reasons, their first choice. At the last minute Garrett Wang made the annual "50 Most Beautiful People" list, so a last minute change was made to axe Kes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
5"11 wang

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Janeway: hey Chinaman!

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

Love, gromdul

Those loving pants. "Garett, we want you to wear something that looks like someone peed on an abalone. You did? Excellent. Now, spread your legs. Wider. Wider. Perfect."

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Wasn't there some story that it was the Wrong Wang, also? That they meant some other person and they got Garrett Wang by mistake. Sort of like that story about Cannon Films hired Sharon Stone because one of the execs said, "Get that Stone Woman" and he actually meant the actress from Romancing the Stone, or J Edgar Hoover's "Watch the Borders" memo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Those loving pants. "Garett, we want you to wear something that looks like someone peed on an abalone. You did? Excellent. Now, spread your legs. Wider. Wider. Perfect."

the late 90's were a pretty weird time, man. we thought our computers were going to reset and kill all of us

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
They meant to give it to George Takei but they got the wrong Chinaman

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
also according to that article, Garrett Wang's greatest hope was to walk down the street and be mistaken for Garrett Wang

Star Trek Voyager: "hey chinaman!"

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Season 3 or 4 when they hit Borg space Janeway's failsafe hinged on the Doctor deleting himself. He's just like "I, uh.... ok, I guess. I'll delete myself at the first sign of trouble, Captain"

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

T'aint Misbehavin'.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought I was over Voyager, I don't know why I just watched that episode. It's like a fresh wound now. God drat loving Voyager.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Met posted:

Ears are hard, man. Nipples are easy. He probably didn't want her feeling like she was loving a ken doll.

Nipples should be hard too, if you're doing it right.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

criscodisco posted:

They knew they were bringing in Jeri Ryan, and needed to lose a character. Harry was, for obvious reasons, their first choice. At the last minute Garrett Wang made the annual "50 Most Beautiful People" list, so a last minute change was made to axe Kes.
They really should have stuck with the parallel Voyager precedent and had him own out of an airlock.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Currently marathonning through TNG. Already did DS9. Should I do voyager next or should I hold off on it for when I feel like getting mind-meltingly high?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

You'll never get those hours of your life back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

frogge posted:

Currently marathonning through TNG. Already did DS9. Should I do voyager next or should I hold off on it for when I feel like getting mind-meltingly high?

Voyager is more really tedious than absolutely awful. So many endless hours of people tromping down cut and paste corridors lecturing each other about nothing much in particular. DS9 at least had a war and TNG was at least wacky at times.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Voyager was the first step towards there being no more Star Trek on TV

7 seasons of Ehhhhhhhhh? Mehhhhhhhh. followed by loving Enterprise killed it dead

Now we have JJ Trek

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Has there been any more info released on the upcoming series other than that short teaser? If it's anything like JJ Trek I'm gonna be loving sad.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
When Star Wars is bad, it is spectacularly bad. See: the prequels. When Star Trek is bad, it's just mediocre and forgettable. See: Voyager, TNG movies.

Star Trek is kinda dead and Rick Berman & Branon Braga killed it. The height of Trek's popularity was the early - mid 90s with TNG and DS9 which happen to be the best Trek shows. Then it gradually faded into obscurity because Voyager, Enterprise and the movies were so bleh.

Some said the JJ movies would revitalize the series and bring in new fans, but they really kind of haven't. General audiences just basically went to go see them and promptly forgot about him. I don't know a lot of people who are actually into Star Trek - Star Wars, Game of Thrones, Dr. Who and superheroes are the "hot" things these days.

I don't feel like the new series is going to bring life back into Star Trek because it'll just be on CBS' streaming service and not Netflix or actual TV. The only people who are going to watch it are people who are already Trekkies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

criscodisco posted:

Is there any stated reason they didn't ditch Neelix? I'm not quite understanding how they thought "Space moron who contributes literally nothing to the ship" was a better character to keep than "Alien developing reality-bending mind powers." They must have realised by then that Neelix wasn't going to be the breakout character.