Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Please don't post back-to-back again like that, you two. It is literally hypnotic; I don't think I can resist doing whatever you say in those posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

CirclMastr posted:

It is literally hypnotic; I don't think I can resist doing whatever you say in those posts.

Of all posters to make a comment like that. :v:

Bodies are disposable. Mind is software.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
SUPER

HOT

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I had been meaning to watch that, thank you for the reminder.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Recording poo poo for this LP made me sick as hell. I blame all of you.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Orv posted:

Recording poo poo for this LP made me sick as hell. I blame all of you.

Attano Science,

we do what we must

because we can~

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The Dishonored sgdq speedrun will start in a bit after the bioshock one ends, for the people that aren't gluing their eyes to the schedule.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Brainamp posted:

The Dishonored sgdq speedrun will start in a bit after the bioshock one ends, for the people that aren't gluing their eyes to the schedule.

Just got done watching it, never ceases to amaze me that this game can be completed in a little over a half hour.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I was going to do a speedrun for my portion but the last Dishonored LP and the fact that when I practiced it a couple years ago I wasn't getting below an hour and a half (still good, just not great) lead me to science instead. I think it worked out alright.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Speaking of it, I don't think it's been linked yet in the thread. Here it is!

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This LP made me go back and play through Dishonored as a crazy madman killing everything and it was cathartic and the end felt much more dramatic... although the game made it pretty clear you were an evil bastard and pretty much ruined Dunwall and the Empire by extension. On the flipside after trying and failing to achieve a 100% no kill playthrough (somehow managed to gently caress up on Flooded District somewhere twice and kill 1 person on both tries).

Overall Dishonored managed to pull off something Elderscrolls/Bioware/Fallout etc. all failed in that if you play like a broken man turned murder machine everyone is terrified of you and it reflects in how much shittier the game world is in the later levels all the way to the ending where Samuel is disgusted with you and probably dying of the plague and Emily says she was going to kill the traitors anyway once she was able to :smith:

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

One thing that I found kind of disappointing is that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do a High Chaos Ghost run. It seems like the Granny Rags event at the end of the Flooded District prevents you from getting that checkbox at the end.

whythemy
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not sure if it was just my experience, but I decided to kill everybody on my high chaos run, including Slackjaw in the office at the brewery. When I went through the sewers at the end of the Flooded District, the Granny Rags event never happened. The room you normally fight her in doesn't even show up!

I was vicious in my run and didn't bother ghosting, but maybe killing Slackjaw early allows you to get ghost for Flooded?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

whythemy posted:

I'm not sure if it was just my experience, but I decided to kill everybody on my high chaos run, including Slackjaw in the office at the brewery. When I went through the sewers at the end of the Flooded District, the Granny Rags event never happened. The room you normally fight her in doesn't even show up!

I was vicious in my run and didn't bother ghosting, but maybe killing Slackjaw early allows you to get ghost for Flooded?

Rats, I wish I had done that at the end of The Golden Cat...

Eh. I did a No-Kill Ghost Mostly Flesh and Steel run already (which was extremely enjoyable), so I plan on going back and going all RoboKy on all the NPC's.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

IronSaber posted:

One thing that I found kind of disappointing is that it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do a High Chaos Ghost run. It seems like the Granny Rags event at the end of the Flooded District prevents you from getting that checkbox at the end.

Granny Rags happens regardless of chaos, doesn't it?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SirSamVimes posted:

I believe so although it varies a bit, on high Chaos I think Slackjaw is usually dead and Low Chaos he is about to be killed unless you kill him beforehand.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm certain it does because I had a low-chaos run and I still ran into her. I'd killed a number of people by then (started going for blood when went after the Lord Regent) but I still got the Low Chaos ending so I'm pretty sure I hadn't overstepped any marks.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

It's based on the sidequests you do, with chaos only influencing the events that happen. It's surprisingly easy to miss the quest if you gently caress up a step in the quests somewhere.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
For the Granny Rags/Slackjaw showdown there's definitely a way to Ghost that encounter. Facing the furnace, check around the left side and you'll see a ledge near the ceiling (behind the cooking pots) that you can Blink up to, and it'll let you break Granny's line of vision.

Basically do the following:

-Run past Granny and Slackjaw, don't talk to either
-Grab cameo and sleepdarts off of Granny's bed
-Throw cameo in furnace and turn it on
-Blink or jump to the ledge
-After the cameo burns and Granny gets the three attention lightning bolts, lean out and nail her with a sleep dart. She'll actually walk out *just* far enough that you can hit her with a dart from the ledge but you'll only have about 5 seconds before she teleports out.

Brainamp posted:

It's based on the sidequests you do, with chaos only influencing the events that happen. It's surprisingly easy to miss the quest if you gently caress up a step in the quests somewhere.

You need to do at least one quest for each Granny and Slackjaw to trigger the showdown. Obviously you can't kill Slackjaw either.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Jack2142 posted:

Overall Dishonored managed to pull off something Elderscrolls/Bioware/Fallout etc. all failed in that if you play like a broken man turned murder machine everyone is terrified of you and it reflects in how much shittier the game world is in the later levels all the way to the ending where Samuel is disgusted with you and probably dying of the plague and Emily says she was going to kill the traitors anyway once she was able to :smith:

The difference is that those are open world games. Dishonored is a very linear game in terms of progression,because while what happens does change and you can solve your problems in so many different ways, you ultimately progress in a straight line and no decision alters the path beyond opening a door while closing another. Youre ultimately going to follow the same route, its just that sometimes you get to go down a side hallway. Its much easier for the developers to make it feel different because there is very clear rules on what can and cant have happened. An open world game has far too many variables to handle that.

An open world game like New Vegas or Skyrim is like painting a picture of your adventure. Dishonored is more like coloring in something that has already been drawn. The analogy holds up less in consideration of one of biowares games, but even the comparitively limited optinos in those dramatically increase the complexity of such things compared to dishonored. This isnt a slight against it, because dishonoreds linear mature lets it be fantastically focuses and polished, but that lack of focus is why you dont get the same results in other games.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

I thought you could skip the entire Granny Rags/Slackjaw showdown simply by ignoring both of their sidequests in the early game. Then the locked gate isn't locked at all and Granny's little hidey-hole is inaccessible. Or am I missing the point?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

The difference is that those are open world games. Dishonored is a very linear game in terms of progression,because while what happens does change and you can solve your problems in so many different ways, you ultimately progress in a straight line and no decision alters the path beyond opening a door while closing another. Youre ultimately going to follow the same route, its just that sometimes you get to go down a side hallway. Its much easier for the developers to make it feel different because there is very clear rules on what can and cant have happened. An open world game has far too many variables to handle that.

An open world game like New Vegas or Skyrim is like painting a picture of your adventure. Dishonored is more like coloring in something that has already been drawn. The analogy holds up less in consideration of one of biowares games, but even the comparitively limited optinos in those dramatically increase the complexity of such things compared to dishonored. This isnt a slight against it, because dishonoreds linear mature lets it be fantastically focuses and polished, but that lack of focus is why you dont get the same results in other games.
Imagining Dishonored as a Bethesda open world game is kinda depressing. All assassinations would be at the end of dungeon corridors and all the side quests be at their own dungeons.

"Ah, Corvo. Please fetch my new crossbow design, it's at the end of that weeper cave over on the other side of the city so you can take advantage of our wonderful fast travel system. When you're done with that I need an item from an overseer cave etc. Do these tasks and you'll become the new leader of the Academy."

IMJack posted:

I thought you could skip the entire Granny Rags/Slackjaw showdown simply by ignoring both of their sidequests in the early game. Then the locked gate isn't locked at all and Granny's little hidey-hole is inaccessible. Or am I missing the point?
No, that's exactly right. But it does happen in both high or low chaos if you do the relevant quest(s).

Poil fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jul 6, 2016

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Poil posted:

Imagining Dishonored as a Bethesda open world game is kinda depressing. All assassinations would be at the end of dungeon corridors and all the side quests be at their own dungeons.

"Ah, Corvo. Please fetch my new crossbow design, it's at the end of that weeper cave over on the other side of the city so you can take advantage of our wonderful fast travel system. When you're done with that I need an item from an overseer cave etc. Do these tasks and you'll become the new leader of the Academy."

No, that's exactly right. But it does happen in both high or low chaos if you do the relevant quest(s).

Huh, that must make ghosting that area easier.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Poil posted:

It'd also have a dearth of actual stealth mechanics and everything fun. While I'm sure one of them might be able to make a satisfying RPG in the Dishonored universe, if they tried making a game like Dishonored it would be the absolute godawfulest.

I'd like to see a game that's kind of a twits on Dishonored in that's focused around growth. You're a dude who gets Outsider powers, and while you do probably run around and murder the ever loving gently caress out of guys, you're also not out to drown the setting in blood and instead try to build a revolutionary force or something, recruiting dudes, through favors and/or outsider powered magic balloons, and giving them magic powers. So it's not just a matter of murder as it is a matter of change and growth. Starting fires to clear out the deadwood, not burn the first down.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
when i think about a Dishonored-style open world game where the primary/only option is drowning everything in blood i think of Shadows of Mordor/Orcemon

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Full on turning Dishonored into some sprawling open world would be bad. Putting Dishonored powers into an Elder Scrolls game would be incredible. If there's one thing skyrim needs, it's Blink, and also maybe a severed heart that tells me why bandit #365 deserves to die.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

MooCowlian posted:

Full on turning Dishonored into some sprawling open world would be bad. Putting Dishonored powers into an Elder Scrolls game would be incredible. If there's one thing skyrim needs, it's Blink, and also maybe a severed heart that tells me why bandit #365 deserves to die.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35564/

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I do appreciate the idea of having <<life of the party>> style openness. But certain missions in Dishonored already breathed this style of level design in spades so ... more of that please.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Open-worldness isn't something I'd really want. What I'd like in a stealth game would be to have all of your targets in a power structure that you have to figure out how to take down. Shadow of Mordor got the closest to this, but it still wasn't quite there. Mostly because of its open-worldness.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 7, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Whenever Dishonored and Bethesda are mentioned, someone has to suggest the following idea: an Elder Scrolls Adventures game, made by Arkhane Studios, set in one of the major cities on Tamriel, where you get to play as an assassin.
There's plenty of major cities that could be picked as the one to play in as and by focusing on it they could be recreated closer to the size they are supposed to have in the lore.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Any city set in High Rock, for one. High Rock is built on political assassinations and backstabs, literal and figurative.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

If we're talking open world stealth/assassination, honestly I think the best way to make it work is something like Die Hard. Keep the open world small and detailed, have a fixed number of enemies/targets that have a schedule of tasks and movements, and put a time limit on it to keep the player from losing too much focus.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

CirclMastr posted:

If we're talking open world stealth/assassination, honestly I think the best way to make it work is something like Die Hard. Keep the open world small and detailed, have a fixed number of enemies/targets that have a schedule of tasks and movements, and put a time limit on it to keep the player from losing too much focus.

This would probably be a pretty neat idea. I tend to think of it kinda like Deus Ex/DXHR or VtM:Bloodlines. You've got kinda open hub worlds, and more contained levels where you can fit all kinds of set pieces and shenanigans. Combine the two, to a certain extent, and give the player a decent sized area to run around in, a number of targets, some type of time limit maybe (I almost think something like Dead Rising's type of thing might work, and have them tied to the target's schedules/activities). I'm not super keen on a time limit, mostly because stealth and assassinations are about patience and a timer is the antithesis of patience. I would think of having like three targets, and alerting one could alert others if you didn't take precautions, and alerted dudes can be ready to flee or start fleeing or that kinda thing. Have the targets and guards actually work as a team and use that to have the player recon the situation, and find different ways to eliminate the target, side objectives, or ways to hamper enemy reinforcements and stuff.

Fake Edit: As I think about it, a regular roll-call for guards would work pretty good. I'm sure MGS has had it at some point, but having the guards have regular radio (or magic radio) checkins would be a pretty good way to have a time limit. You can disable the radio but that will raise suspicion when they fail to check in, and the impending radio check-in would function as a timer.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

I'd like to see a game that's kind of a twits on Dishonored in that's focused around growth. You're a dude who gets Outsider powers, and while you do probably run around and murder the ever loving gently caress out of guys, you're also not out to drown the setting in blood and instead try to build a revolutionary force or something, recruiting dudes, through favors and/or outsider powered magic balloons, and giving them magic powers. So it's not just a matter of murder as it is a matter of change and growth. Starting fires to clear out the deadwood, not burn the first down.

The later Assassin's Creed games, but with literal magic powers. Daud's Assassin Manager 2016.

An open-world assassin game, if you wanted a free-form plot rather than a progression of designed story missions, might bear some resemblance to the strategic layer of Jagged Alliance 2 or the XCOM games. There is an AI "player" playing a game that's different from yours but interwoven with it. In this case, the network of antagonists you're attacking are pursuing their own objectives, and if you allow them to succeed it either causes a game over or locks you in to a bad ending. While you're picking at them, they're having to spread their remaining resources between working on their goals and hunting you down. It could make for some great emergent gameplay, and it would also be a nightmare to develop and test.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Daud in fact a descendant of Ezio Auditore.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It's a family tradition to monologue for a while before you die.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I was thinking more like Peace Walker, but i guess the AC comparison is unavoidable.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Coolguye posted:

when i think about a Dishonored-style open world game where the primary/only option is drowning everything in blood i think of Shadows of Mordor/Orcemon

That game was a better asssassination game than Assassin's Creed was. Various different captains were immune to several of your tricks (like guys who were always invulerable to arrows) so you'd always have to do a bit of research and improvisation with the area to take 'em down. I loved it.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Fun Shoe

SpookyLizard posted:

I was thinking more like Peace Walker, but i guess the AC comparison is unavoidable.

I got that, after I reread "outsider powered magic balloons".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speedball posted:

That game was a better asssassination game than Assassin's Creed was. Various different captains were immune to several of your tricks (like guys who were always invulerable to arrows) so you'd always have to do a bit of research and improvisation with the area to take 'em down. I loved it.

And you didn't need to complete all the story missions to unlock all your tricks. I love AC4 (mainly for "gently caress you I'm a pirate" mode) but the blowgun and rope arrows are very useful abilities that you don't get until soon before the end, particularly if you explore between story beats.

• Locked thread