Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

repiv posted:

I'm not surprised the performance is more or less what AMD claimed, but I can't figure out what contortion of logic they used to claim better efficiency.

82% more power for 6% more frames doesn't really add up.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/

"In a word: no. In fact, they're not even faster than a GTX 1070 in many games. To be fair to AMD, though, the company only ever said that two RX 480s were faster than a GTX 1080 in one game, under specific settings."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

SourKraut posted:

I'm hoping someone can still comment on this though, since I'm looking to put a 1070 into a Mac Pro (yes, it runs Boot Camp) and am currently thinking the FE or another blower-type might be preferable.

Got my MSI 1070 Aero yesterday. Well done B&H and DHL, ordered Thurs and at my office Monday morning. That's impressive for New York to Western Australia.

I've only just installed it in a PC here at work, so can't say much, but at first glace it seems quieter at both idle and load compared to my 670, and the blower seems to keep it under the target temps OK. It's definitely longer than the 670, a bit worried it's not going to fit in my Shuttle. I'm going to let it loop on some benchmarks today to see if it throttles like the FE does after a while.

Edit:
After around 15 minutes, clock is hovering around 1750-1800 in Heaven. Listed speed is 1721, so looks like its doing OK to me. Fan is definitely more noticeable than the 2/3 fan custom jobs, but it's way less annoying than the 670. Just a whoosh of air instead of a very noticeable fan whine.

JBark fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 5, 2016

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Why are the series 10s bad at bitcoins?

Because there's literally no reason to use a $800 GPU when you can buy ASICs of similar price that do 4x the performance at bitcoining.

Also ASICs as a thing are hilarious that they've taken off so much due to *coin crazes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Hubis posted:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/07/amd-rx-480-crossfire-vs-nvidia-gtx-1080-ashes/

"In a word: no. In fact, they're not even faster than a GTX 1070 in many games. To be fair to AMD, though, the company only ever said that two RX 480s were faster than a GTX 1080 in one game, under specific settings."

Conditions like unplugging the 1080 from the motherboard?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Conditions like unplugging the 1080 from the motherboard?

Conditions like in the article they weren't able to reproduce AMDs results using as identical of a config as possible :iiam:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Am I alone in buying a 1070 as my first nvidia GPU ever, replacing my XFX 290, and moving far away from AMD? Am I the only one succumbing to the hype? Am I wrong?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

skylined! posted:

Am I alone in buying a 1070 as my first nvidia GPU ever, replacing my XFX 290, and moving far away from AMD? Am I the only one succumbing to the hype? Am I wrong?

gently caress the hype. Is it the right card for the performance you want at the price you want to pay?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

skylined! posted:

If the 1070 is in your price range, it's definitely the right purchase for the near future

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone's wondering how much stock for RX480 there is, here's a semi-popular shop in germany:
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/Radeon+RX+Serie/RX+480.html
The red numbers is how many have sold.

Just the sapphire one sold more than the entire 1080 combined:
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/GeForce+GTX+fuer+Gaming/GTX+1080.html

But, there have been quite a bit more 1070s than 480s sold, despite the msi one selling for almost 100e over MSRP:
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/GeForce+GTX+fuer+Gaming/GTX+1070.html

So yeah, 1070 is the next 970.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

skylined! posted:

You are not alone. :glomp:

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Contrary to what AMD said, some RX480 4GB owners are reporting it does have the full 8GB of 8ghz GDDR5 on board and is just BIOS locked down to 4GB at 7ghz.

The dream is alive :woop:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i need a video card by August 4th. Is the 1070 gonna be cheaper by August 4th? all this inside baseball stuff is so extra

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

repiv posted:

Contrary to what AMD said, some RX480 4GB owners are reporting it does have the full 8GB of 8ghz GDDR5 on board and is just BIOS locked down to 4GB at 7ghz.

The dream is alive :woop:

:laffo:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

TenementFunster posted:

i need a video card by August 4th. Is the 1070 gonna be cheaper by August 4th? all this inside baseball stuff is so extra

If you're in the US, probably not. Availability might be good

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

TenementFunster posted:

Best deal seems to be the Gigabyte WindForce for $400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Psy890 posted:

Best deal seems to be the Gigabyte WindForce for $400

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125875

$400 for a AIB 1070 is awesome if 480 AIBs are going for ~$270.

Truga posted:

If anyone's wondering how much stock for RX480 there is, here's a semi-popular shop in germany:
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/Radeon+RX+Serie/RX+480.html
The red numbers is how many have sold.

Just the sapphire one sold more than the entire 1080 combined:
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/GeForce+GTX+fuer+Gaming/GTX+1080.html

But, there have been quite a bit more 1070s than 480s sold, despite the msi one selling for almost 100e over MSRP:
http://www.mindfactory.de/Hardware/Grafikkarten+(VGA)/GeForce+GTX+fuer+Gaming/GTX+1070.html

So yeah, 1070 is the next 970.

Die-harvested 314mm2 GTX 1070 is 35% larger than the fully enabled 232mm2 RX480, rest of the board costs should be the same since they use 8GB GDDR5 on 256 bit bus, but the 1070 retails for at least 66% more.

If Nvidia isn't making >90% of overall discrete GPU profit by this point they are doing something wrong.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 5, 2016

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Oh no, it doesn't support DDR4 :(. How will I download more RAM anymore?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hubis posted:

Am I taking crazy pills?

Look at the video of the presentation, starting at around 1:05.

"On the right is the 700$ solution, left is something much better."

A couple of seconds later, as he says:
"They deliver basically the same performance. Maybe people with really crazy eyes can spot millisecond differences", the scene on the left ("something much better") fails to render 80 percent of the game action and the article doesn't even mention that?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
amd is the one taking crazy pills, if their products were better they would say exactly that instead of using bullshit qualifiers like performance per inch in their promos

It absolutely isnt rendering the same thing as the 1080 in many spots. The terrain looks significantly worse for CF 480s for most of it. The 1080 side almost always had as many but usually many more units on screen

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jul 5, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

mcbexx posted:

Am I taking crazy pills?

Look at the video of the presentation, starting at around 1:05.

"On the right is the 700$ solution, left is something much better."

A couple of seconds later, as he says:
"They deliver basically the same performance. Maybe people with really crazy eyes can spot millisecond differences", the scene on the left ("something much better") fails to render 80 percent of the game action and the article doesn't even mention that?

Fauxtool posted:

amd is the one taking crazy pills, if their product was better they would say exactly that instead of using bullshit qualifiers like performance per inch

It absolutely isnt rendering the same thing as the 1080 in many spots. The terrain looks significantly worse for CF 480s for most of it

AMD made a press release on this saying it's actually the 1080 rendering less. That's even less wiggly room if you want to take them to task for it, but it's and old topic and I'm not interested in dredging on something that seemed pretty conclusively answered.

BTW, AMD will apparently be dropping a Vbios update for RX480s to fix the PCIE power draw? I guess the reference board can properly redistribute how power is allocated so there won't be any compromise in clockspeeds, just the 6 pin (which is actually a truncated 8 pin apparently) sucking it's proper share. RIP fewer motherboards, RIP more OEM PSUs? That's not on AMD though, that's on lovely OEMs.

For hire: previous AMD vbios coder.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

amd is the one taking crazy pills, if their products were better they would say exactly that instead of using bullshit qualifiers like performance per inch in their promos

It absolutely isnt rendering the same thing as the 1080 in many spots. The terrain looks significantly worse for CF 480s for most of it. The 1080 side almost always had as many but usually many more units on screen

According to Oxide, the pre-release 1080 driver that AMD used had a bug that caused it to generate less snow than intended. The CF480s terrain looked worse because it was obscured by more plain boring snow.

I don't think the different number of units on screen was ever addressed though. Maybe Ashes is just a bad benchmark :prepop:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they should really be benchmarking on overwatch since its what everyone is actually playing and it will be relevant data for what kind of components to buy

rx 480 does quite well per dollar on overwatch

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Fauxtool posted:

they should really be benchmarking on overwatch since its what everyone is actually playing and it will be relevant data for what kind of components to buy

rx 480 does quite well per dollar on overwatch
My 3570K integrated graphics would probably do well per dollar on Overwatch

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Ashes *is* a bad benchmark Part of the game's claim to fame is that poo poo is procedurally generated every time you play it. Last I heard, this also extended to the benchmark as well. And if there's one thing that you absolutely don't want when benchmarking things, it's a random seed changing itself from run to run. Even if the seed is exactly identical every time the benchmark is run, we're still just supposed to take their word that the result should be the same, regardless of hardware? Please.

That said, it is in fact true that the Nvidia card there was not executing shaders properly, but it doesn't change the fact that Ashes is a lovely benchmark.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Josh Lyman posted:

My 3570K integrated graphics would probably do well per dollar on Overwatch

it would be if you could actually quantify its value. They would need to make a version without integrated graphics you can price against

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Ashes *is* a bad benchmark Part of the game's claim to fame is that poo poo is procedurally generated every time you play it. Last I heard, this also extended to the benchmark as well. And if there's one thing that you absolutely don't want when benchmarking things, it's a random seed changing itself from run to run. Even if the seed is exactly identical every time the benchmark is run, we're still just supposed to take their word that the result should be the same, regardless of hardware? Please.

That said, it is in fact true that the Nvidia card there was not executing shaders properly, but it doesn't change the fact that Ashes is a lovely benchmark.

Thats what multiple trials are for! Assuming an even distribution of random seeds mapped to scene complexity, statistically speaking you are more likely to get more varied results than just seeds that get you complex scenes every time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Thats what multiple trials are for! Assuming an even distribution of random seeds mapped to scene complexity, statistically speaking you are more likely to get more varied results than just seeds that get you complex scenes every time.

....I don't know about you? But I'm not looking forward to reviewers having to do 100+ runs of a benchmark just to get a statistically significant result just because of a random seed generator.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Clearly the only true way to benchmark a GPU's performance is to test each GPU of a large set multiple times (n> 30) using a large amount of a random assortment of benchmarking software run by a randomly selected assortment of unbiased reviewers. Only then will we know which card run gam best.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
God, I hope there's a /s in there somewhere.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
For real though ashes sucks and has been skewing bemchmarks for like 6 months straight now. There are other, real, dx12 games now.

When AMD put up that slide I legitimately laughed.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Pssshh all you need is a script to automate the benchmarking.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

SwissArmyDruid posted:

God, I hope there's a /s in there somewhere.

I mean, technically, yes this is the only way to get truly statistically accurate and meaningful test results in these situations. Doing what I said would yield a result that would be near irrefutable. Of course it's infeasible, and people instead opt to just take manufacturers at their word and to trust reviews by people who receive a free graphics card from a manufacturer who run a single benchmark.

I would prefer it if a review just either bought or received 5-10 of the same cards and ran them all in the exact same rig running the exact same test, and then doing the same for other benchmarking softwares. A lot of these reviews say things like "but ours has X limitation/boon, so you'll expect it to run better/worse depending on your situation. Also we tested it once." Just have one institute do a test correctly according to accepted modern statistics.

jokes fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 5, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Pssshh all you need is a script to automate the benchmarking.
Lol if you think tech reviewers have any technical skills

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Lol if you think tech reviewers have any technical skills

I think Phoronix use a script to run their test suite. Of course it would be the Linux-centric review site that does it :v:

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Would a GTX 1080 with its clock speed reduced by 50% give a reasonable prediction of GTX 1060 performance? Does the 1080 overclocking software allow for substantially decreased clock speed?

When is RX 470 coming?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

PBCrunch posted:

Would a GTX 1080 with its clock speed reduced by 50% give a reasonable prediction of GTX 1060 performance?

Best thing you could do is flash a modded bios that only enables n cuda cores, where n is whatever 1060 has, then set clocks to whatever 1060 runs at.

It'll still be a bit different due to gddr5x, but close enough probably.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
So today's the day AMD explains exactly how they hosed the chicken with the 480 pci-e slot. Any bets on what it was or how theyll propose to fix it?

Also, why the gently caress have none of the aftermarket card sellers announced actual release dates? Do y'all think the card problems will delay those launches?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So today's the day AMD explains exactly how they hosed the chicken with the 480 pci-e slot. Any bets on what it was or how theyll propose to fix it?

Also, why the gently caress have none of the aftermarket card sellers announced actual release dates? Do y'all think the card problems will delay those launches?

Maybe AMD hoarded all the chips to stock up on the reference cards :tinfoil:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Apparently I grabbed Ashes on steam thinking it might be an OK Supreme Commander successor.

Boy was I wrong, that game loving sucks. The only relevant benchmark that should be done using it is how long you can stand to play it before the boredom becomes terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is it possible that, as Global Foundries improves its finfet technique, the yields become higher quality/allow for higher clocks? I guess the same question goes to TSMC..will the yields improve chip quality later in the GPU's generation?