Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Definitely the wrong thread.

Damnit.

You guys need a thread that's both awesome and awful. :v:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jul 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

a kitten posted:

You guys need a thread that's both awesome and awful. :v:

That's the Craigslist thread, doubly awesome since most if it's for sale!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
The Porsche is basically anime on wheels now

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anime was a mistake.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Geirskogul posted:

Anime was a mistake.

Should've nuked Japan again.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So I was sitting at a stoplight and something bothered me about the car in front of me

They mounted the license plate off-center. I thought it was a fluke, but I started looking at the license plates of all of the newer Beetles. At least locally they're all off-center.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Well, if it's like the Golf/GTI it's because the bumper cover doesn't actually have holes for the license plate so you have to drill the loving holes yourself. I was making GBS threads myself and measured 5 times before I drilled mine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I have also found it an issue with Euro cars that are used to having wide number plates, compared to countries with narrow plates

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
But why so many off-centre?

You don't have to be a master of mechanics to get a small rectangle in the approximate centre of a slightly larger rectangle.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spog posted:

You don't have to be a master of mechanics to get a small rectangle in the approximate centre of a slightly larger rectangle.

Well, you know what they say. "Measure once, cut immediately."

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rhyno posted:

Should've nuked Japan again.

You guys nuked Japan either too much or not enough.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

spog posted:

My guess was the local dealer goofed, but there were many different dealer decals in the sample set :shrug:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Memento posted:

You guys nuked Japan either too much or not enough.

If Godzilla is not real then it was not enough.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's not a one way street.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Slavvy posted:

It's not a one way street.

Then get out of that lane. :downs:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, you know what they say. "Measure once, cut immediately."

More like cut once, goof off for the rest of the shift.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

This is perfect. The rest of the lot is pretty much totally empty but he had to be That Guy and park right up front.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I guess dropping $40k+ on a dull and forgettable midlife crisis mobile doesn't include the manual on how to properly baby it.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My moms abused and high milage 2001 Toyota Sienna was recently stolen from her driveway in the DC Metro Area. About a week later she got a call from the Baltimore Impound lot where they had acquired her car. She has no idea how it was recovered, just that she was given a minute or two to recover anything from the vehicle while it was in the lot. Several windows were broke and the windshield was wrecked. The van was filled with lumber apparently and a North Face Jacket. In the breast pocket of the jacket was a filled out application for state healthcare dated to about two weeks earlier. She is more entertained at this point as insurance has already offered her a decent price to take the car for good.

Lastly, a google search of the name showed a person in the area arrested for the triple shooting a few years earlier. I'll update if/when she hears back from the police. Not sure if Fairfax Country will care enough to do anything since the car is recovered.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

kdm tyte

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I got three brands of seats in my car, whatup

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Pham Nuwen posted:

This is perfect. The rest of the lot is pretty much totally empty but he had to be That Guy and park right up front.

In their defense, this was toward the middle of the lot and not up front but still. It's a Challenger. Kinda sad when the car you deem to be too nice for other cars to park in proximity of ends up being that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

FBS posted:

kdm tyte

At least it isn't the base model.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

BlackMK4 posted:

I got three brands of seats in my car, whatup

The takata sticker is actually a warning label. "Dash may explode at any time."

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Ironically Hyundai and Kia are probably the only 2 carmakers of any note in the world not affected by the airbag scandal. Korea is the only major auto market in the world where the Japanese carmakers have almost no presence, because Koreans just really dislike anything Japanese in general and unlike China will actually put their money where their mouth is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

FBS posted:

kdm tyte

Incidentally, my 6 month insurance payments for my 2012 optima sx just shot up by $130 because statistically that specific trim is higher risk now. I'm going to assume it's due to idiots like this buying them used for cheap and wrapping them around a telephone pole trying to drift their front wheel drive family sedan.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

The takata sticker is actually a warning label. "Dash may explode at any time."

I assume the Takata is for their racing harnesses that they need in their nearly stock street car. The Sparco, Recaro, and Bride would likely be the three seat manufacturers.

:spergin:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

FBS posted:

kdm tyte
Is that license plate behind a tinted cover? I saw one with a pretty dark blue tint the other day that I couldn't believe any cop wouldn't pull over as soon as he/she saw it.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

BoostCreep posted:

I assume the Takata is for their racing harnesses that they need in their nearly stock street car. The Sparco, Recaro, and Bride would likely be the three seat manufacturers.

Mugen makes seats, too (or at least sells them) so there could be four. It is a four-seater car after all, maybe he mix-and-matched.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

BoostCreep posted:

Maybe they've got kids? It is a 4-door, after all.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/rocket-man-sherwood-park-man-builds-his-own-jet-car-1.3665082

quote:

You don't have to be a rocket scientist to understand why Ryan McQueen named his race car "Insanity."

Sleek in cherry red and chrome, with two Rolls Royce jet engines under the hood, she will run at 14,000 pounds of thrust, and burn through 400 litres of jet fuel in two minutes flat.

And its estimated top speed? A white-knuckle, G-force inducing 650 kilometres per hour.

Insanity may be the world's only twin-jet powered super car, McQueen said.

[...]

With only a few lessons from his high school shop class to inform him, he got to work building and designing the car from scratch.

"I didn't have a whole lot of money or a lot of skill. I just learned as I went," McQueen said.

"I didn't know how to weld, engineer, bend tubing, lay up fibreglass or carbon fibre, or even know anything about jet engines."

It took five years to build the mold for the body. Another two years to to construct the fibreglass and carbon fiber frame.

"Since then everything has been YouTube and Google," McQueen said.

"I taught myself to weld. I taught myself metal fabrication. In fact, one of my first projects was my tubing bender to be able to bend the tubing. I needed a tool so I built it."

I cannot wait to see this fired up. :allears:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

:black101:

This is definitely the wrong thread. That thing may be a deathwish, but it's also a chariot to Valhalla.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

OSI bean dip posted:

I cannot wait to see this fired up. :allears:

There's gonna be fire alright, I just hope it drowns out the screaming.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
A+ would test drive

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
That man is the embodiment of AI.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

lol 400+ mph ok dude

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Even if that thing only hits 180 mph it's still a million times more AI than most things in this forum, and I loving love this forum and everything in it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I hope he doesn't die driving that thing, it's too awesome and completely the wrong thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Cage posted:

Is that license plate behind a tinted cover? I saw one with a pretty dark blue tint the other day that I couldn't believe any cop wouldn't pull over as soon as he/she saw it.

You underestimate the laziness of cops