Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I wish the game would warn me about not giving away land to random courtiers who on their death will pass it on to some random king. Had to bribe my council to change laws and start a war just to revoke that poor guy's title again.

Oh and is it a bad idea to start wars for weak claims halfway across the continent? Should I try to keep my holdings connected to each other or does it not really matter?

Hard to defend far flung territories and their levies will have trouble joining with yours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I wish the game would warn me about not giving away land to random courtiers who on their death will pass it on to some random king. Had to bribe my council to change laws and start a war just to revoke that poor guy's title again.

Oh and is it a bad idea to start wars for weak claims halfway across the continent? Should I try to keep my holdings connected to each other or does it not really matter?

The only safe courtiers to give land to are same culture Lowborns with zero family members. If you don't have a suitable one you can pay to generate one.

Better yet to marry him to a 45 year old woman first. It'll prolong the time until he has any kids, and if he dies childless the title will go back to you and you can hand it to whomever you please.

It's always best to give land to dynasty members if at all possible though.

Basically my line of thinking when deciding who to give land to is:

1. Is there a dynasty member available who's nowhere near the line of inheritance for anything that might take the title out of my realm if he dies childless? (Don't have to care once I have the proper laws to prevent extra-realm inheritance, of course.)

2. If no: do I have a spare unmarried daughter (or other young adult female dynasty member) around, and if so, is there a random courtier of my culture nowhere near any troublesome lines of inheritance that I can get into my court and then matrilineally marry to her without tanking my own prestige? If so, do that and then give him the land. If he croaks childless I'll get it back, and if he has a kid before he croaks then his successor will be a dynasty member.

3. If no: Find a random family-less, non-Ambitious, non-Lustful Lowborn of my culture, or pay to generate one if I must, marry him to a (preferably Strong/Brawny/Brilliant Strategist) 45 year old woman, then give him the land.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jul 3, 2016

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

Vegetable posted:

Does anybody have suggstions for a written or video LP that I can watch to get into this game? The last time I tried playing the game I got very lost off the bat and gave up quickly. Just need to get a sense of all the game mechanics, the way it flows etc.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3559664

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

I'm playing Abyssinia from the Charley start and man cultures aren't changing for poo poo down here. Kinda sucks too because my intention is to go Jewish and eventually fight my way to forming Israel. The problem with culture is while I have been saving Semien for the eventual conversion I'm holding off on that now because the current king of Semien is Ashkenazi. Basically I'd rather have the heavy infantry Kar Bochba retinues than these lovely Ethiopian light infantry ones so I'm hoping Semien will hurry up and turn Ashkenazi but it's taking forever.

Gonna be sweet when it does happen though. I'll invade Semien and immediately convert culture and religion to get the Jewish faith I want and better retinues in the process.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Honky Dong Country posted:

I'm playing Abyssinia from the Charley start and man cultures aren't changing for poo poo down here. Kinda sucks too because my intention is to go Jewish and eventually fight my way to forming Israel. The problem with culture is while I have been saving Semien for the eventual conversion I'm holding off on that now because the current king of Semien is Ashkenazi. Basically I'd rather have the heavy infantry Kar Bochba retinues than these lovely Ethiopian light infantry ones so I'm hoping Semien will hurry up and turn Ashkenazi but it's taking forever.

Gonna be sweet when it does happen though. I'll invade Semien and immediately convert culture and religion to get the Jewish faith I want and better retinues in the process.

I've generally had difficulty in mods and whatnot where my ruler has had a difficult culture to their capital.

Your options for passive county conversion are

• Event 55000 where a vassal of your culture who has converted their culture to your religion, who has a neighbour of your culture, converts their county to your culture. This has a mean time to happen of 100 years, modified by the stewardship of your vassal.
  • Event 55001 where a vassal of your culture's capital, where the land was conquered by some form of invasion CB. This has a mean time to happen of 100 years, modified by the stewardship of your vassal.

So if you start out with a different culture to any of your provinces, you don't actually stand a chance of ever converting that county to your culture.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Edison was a dick posted:

I've generally had difficulty in mods and whatnot where my ruler has had a difficult culture to their capital.

Your options for passive county conversion are

• Event 55000 where a vassal of your culture who has converted their culture to your religion, who has a neighbour of your culture, converts their county to your culture. This has a mean time to happen of 100 years, modified by the stewardship of your vassal.
  • Event 55001 where a vassal of your culture's capital, where the land was conquered by some form of invasion CB. This has a mean time to happen of 100 years, modified by the stewardship of your vassal.

So if you start out with a different culture to any of your provinces, you don't actually stand a chance of ever converting that county to your culture.

So because the King of Semien is now Ashkenazi without any Ashkenazi land around him at all it'll never convert?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Just played my first real game of CK2. Started as the King of Mumu with an ambition to unite Ireland. Things were going swimmingly and I had 4 counties. Then my character died and the eldest inherited the kingdom/duchy but immediately the council demanded more power and then my stupid half brother revolted and usurped the throne.

So now I'm back to a single little county, plotting my revenge.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Honky Dong Country posted:

So because the King of Semien is now Ashkenazi without any Ashkenazi land around him at all it'll never convert?

That's my reading.

I think if the King of Semien got there through conquest 55001 will eventually happen.
Conquest wars being:
  • Pressing a claim
  • Pressing someone else's claim
  • Claiming your liege's title by faction
  • Claiming a title from your liege by plot that you then press in war
  • A Pope sanctioned (or otherwise) Invasion
  • A Crusade
  • A decadence invasion

Interestingly, conquests, holy wars, tribal invasions and viking invasions aren't counted, so I've got to wonder whether Paradox remembers that this is how it works.

If you want to be Ashkenazi then having an heir educated in an Ashkenazi court is probably a better approach,
then you can either move your capital into some newly conquered territory or wait for a vassal to culture convert it.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

bonds0097 posted:

Just played my first real game of CK2. Started as the King of Mumu with an ambition to unite Ireland. Things were going swimmingly and I had 4 counties. Then my character died and the eldest inherited the kingdom/duchy but immediately the council demanded more power and then my stupid half brother revolted and usurped the throne.

So now I'm back to a single little county, plotting my revenge.

Welcome to CK2. Hopefully he's not matrilineally married so you can start racking up the body count to get the duchy back.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
What do you guys think about the upcoming DLC? Personally I'm not really feeling it. :shrug: I've been following it and reading the dev diaries, but nothing I've seen so far really makes me that excited. I dunno. It seems like a lot of flavorful events, but not that much change or expansion in terms of actual gameplay.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

It looks like it'll change the old "You got sick and died, enjoy a fourteen year regency, bitch!" in a really good way and I'm hoping that plagues and poo poo can be weaponized in some way so I'm interested. But then I also don't follow dev diaries. So most likely I'll read this thread to learn about it when it's out. I'm always down for more CK2 though. The only DLC I don't have is Sunset Invasion and Ruler Designer.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Natalya Fartz posted:

Welcome to CK2. Hopefully he's not matrilineally married so you can start racking up the body count to get the duchy back.

Not, matrilineally married, no. He's on his third wife actually and has 2 daughters, one to each of the first two, so I really need a male heir. I'm starting to think that with gavelkind succession you should arrange for younger sons to die a tragic death.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

bonds0097 posted:

Not, matrilineally married, no. He's on his third wife actually and has 2 daughters, one to each of the first two, so I really need a male heir. I'm starting to think that with gavelkind succession you should arrange for younger sons to die a tragic death.

With gavelkind I marry, have one son, then divorce/murder my wife. Then don't remarry or take concubines. Then you pray to whatever god you wish that your lone son doesn't suffer a horrible accident.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just have a bunch of acknowledged bastards so you can legitimize the best one if it turns out you need him.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DrSunshine posted:

What do you guys think about the upcoming DLC? Personally I'm not really feeling it. :shrug: I've been following it and reading the dev diaries, but nothing I've seen so far really makes me that excited. I dunno. It seems like a lot of flavorful events, but not that much change or expansion in terms of actual gameplay.

gently caress you, it's awesome :colbert:

On a more serious note, no it is mainly flavor and minor systems because it's a minor DLC and will be on the cheaper end of the scale. If Prosperity, eyepatches, and cool events don't tickle you then maybe it's not a DLC for you and that's cool too.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Im hella digging more flavour and events tbh. Not everything has to be a radical de elopment, ya can go deep as well as wide.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

gently caress you, it's awesome :colbert:

On a more serious note, no it is mainly flavor and minor systems because it's a minor DLC and will be on the cheaper end of the scale. If Prosperity, eyepatches, and cool events don't tickle you then maybe it's not a DLC for you and that's cool too.

I really like those death masks that disfigured people are getting. Are lepers getting those too?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Not just for being lepers, but lepers will tend to become disfigured after a while and get them then.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is conclave still crap and ruins the game? I haven't bought it and its been a while since I played CK2 but all the reviews on steam say it is poo poo.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
There are alot of complaints about the patch changes that the DLC just got tagged with as the scapegoat.

As for actual DLC complaints about council power...yeah, no loving duh the council members want power, and if you don't want them to have it you'll have to crush them every succession. Sounds and actually works reasonably most of the time. It's not terribly hard to keep the council in check by...gasp...being reasonable about things.

Though when things go horribly wrong, they can go horribly wrong in a hilarious fashion, at least looking at it externally (e.g. council mad at you for having too many holdings, won't let you give away holdings because they're mad at you).

I do dislike that it greatly reduces the (already low) interactivity you have on educating kids. And if you want to actually interact with the new methods...
Previously: Give kid an educator with good traits and stats
Now: Hope you've memorized what kid traits map to adult traits! And what educator traits cause kid traits to turn into a different adult trait! Aka memorize this table. Yah busywork.

TLDR: It's OK.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 4, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Conclave is good. Sometimes I utterly screw the council over, sometimes we're besties. The education stuff doesn't really bother me much because I don't mind not having every one of my heirs be a superman.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

My game last night, playing as Jewish Semien:

"Well, I've finally got a couple of duchies up my sleeve, time to try and take on this three-duchy fucker squatting on the entirety of Egypt. Huh. drat it, the Caliph has just gone to High Crown Authority. There's a Lower Crown Authority Faction, but me joining would put it barely past 50%. Definitely not going to join unless the three-duchy guy joins up.

Wait a moment, we're now at Autonomous Vassals! Hooray! How'd that happen? Oh, the entirety of the Abbasid Caliphate has been extremely suddenly subjugated by the Mongols, you say? Well, fair enough. That'll teach the ex-Caliph not to lead his troops directly. I live to serve you, my Khagan."

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Snatch Duster posted:

Is conclave still crap and ruins the game? I haven't bought it and its been a while since I played CK2 but all the reviews on steam say it is poo poo.

I've been playing an ongoing game as Italy for the past month or so and I don't have any major complaints about it. The last time I had spent any serious time playing was like, a year ago, so maybe the changes weren't as annoying to me as someone who had been playing right before the patch. I don't even mind the shattered retreats now that I'm used to playing with them.
The only issues I've noticed:
  • Education system, the concept is OK but you need a chart to figure out what the different options will do. I'm not sure whether or not the educator's traits still have any influence, which was something that I thought added character to the old system.
  • AI obsession with elective monarchy - I modded this out because it doesn't feel right spreading to every kingdom in Europe
  • Increase council power factions - These happen all the time, and they seem sensible, but they aren't terribly threatening compared to other types of factions. Like, at worst I just have to send the council laws back in the other direction at the next opportunity so that I can always afford to accept their demands if it comes to that. I guess it would be cool to see the AI get more enthusiastic about independence or installing new rulers or something dramatic like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

lurksion posted:

Though when things go horribly wrong, they can go horribly wrong in a hilarious fashion, at least looking at it externally (e.g. council mad at you for having too many holdings, won't let you give away holdings because they're mad at you).

I'll just point out that the council is fine with you giving away holdings even if they're mad at you. What they disapprove of is giving away holdings to people they don't like.

For example, if you try to give a holding to a council member, they'll vote in favour of it (and so will anyone else on the council who likes them), and they'll generally vote in favour of giving titles to unlanded characters. Where they start disagreeing is if you try to hand out holdings to various other lords who aren't them.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Holy poo poo help. So the newly elected Holy Roman Emperor turned out to be a possessed cannibal who speaks with the voice of Jesus Christ himself, and also gets military advice from him. And suprisingly, he is acting batshit insane. He started by revoking a county on the other end of the HRE that was given to me hundreds of years ago by some emperor as what I can only consider a joke. I was ok with that. Then he revoked my most recently conquered county, which pissed me off a bit. Then he retracted vassalage from some assholes I didn't like, presumably so he could eat them? I don't know, don't care. And then he kept revoking land and titles, constant messages that this or that was revoked from lords all over the empire. A lot of tiny plots to replace him sprung up, but since he kept taking EVERYTHING, from EVERYONE, nobody could come even within 10% of his power. In the middle of this chaos, I had to fight a rebellion in my council, led by Adolf of Austria of all the people. I beat them as everyone's land was slowly stripped away from them(I got to keep the levies that were already raised), but eventually he revoked my capital and my ruler was gone. Now I'm stuck as my previous ruler's son with a single county, watching in awe at centuries of everyone's ambitions go down the drain. There's absolutely nothing anyone can do. This is my first game.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Next dumb question. I am the king of Ireland and have just usurped a duchy for myself in Scotland. Do I now count as his vassal in Scotland and can I use this to weasel my way onto his council? Ideally I would love to agitate for elective monarchy and bribe my way to power there.

Edit: In a really strange twist, the King of Jerusalem is now the count of one of the counties in the petty kingdoms where I intend to put Wales.

E2: Is there a way to flip your Councillors personalities? 3 loving malcontents is going to be a rough go for this king.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 5, 2016

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Holy poo poo help. So the newly elected Holy Roman Emperor turned out to be a possessed cannibal who speaks with the voice of Jesus Christ himself, and also gets military advice from him. And suprisingly, he is acting batshit insane. He started by revoking a county on the other end of the HRE that was given to me hundreds of years ago by some emperor as what I can only consider a joke. I was ok with that. Then he revoked my most recently conquered county, which pissed me off a bit. Then he retracted vassalage from some assholes I didn't like, presumably so he could eat them? I don't know, don't care. And then he kept revoking land and titles, constant messages that this or that was revoked from lords all over the empire. A lot of tiny plots to replace him sprung up, but since he kept taking EVERYTHING, from EVERYONE, nobody could come even within 10% of his power. In the middle of this chaos, I had to fight a rebellion in my council, led by Adolf of Austria of all the people. I beat them as everyone's land was slowly stripped away from them(I got to keep the levies that were already raised), but eventually he revoked my capital and my ruler was gone. Now I'm stuck as my previous ruler's son with a single county, watching in awe at centuries of everyone's ambitions go down the drain. There's absolutely nothing anyone can do. This is my first game.

You won the game! Congrats! Now sit back and see what insanity happens next.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Demon_Corsair posted:

Next dumb question. I am the king of Ireland and have just usurped a duchy for myself in Scotland. Do I now count as his vassal in Scotland and can I use this to weasel my way onto his council? Ideally I would love to agitate for elective monarchy and bribe my way to power there.

Edit: In a really strange twist, the King of Jerusalem is now the count of one of the counties in the petty kingdoms where I intend to put Wales.

E2: Is there a way to flip your Councillors personalities? 3 loving malcontents is going to be a rough go for this king.

A King-level title cannot be a vassal under another King-level title, so any Scottish titles you take will just become part of the Kingdom of Ireland.

He'll still have de jure claims on all of them, though, so be careful, he might decide he wants them back.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

that's why voting is important, kids

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Mister Bates posted:

A King-level title cannot be a vassal under another King-level title, so any Scottish titles you take will just become part of the Kingdom of Ireland.

He'll still have de jure claims on all of them, though, so be careful, he might decide he wants them back.

That's not a huge concern currently. He just wrapped up a decades long civil war and during that time the English grabbed a good chunk of the South.

Any tips for getting a good in to start uniting Wales or even a duchy or two in England? I had to give my chancellorship to a powerful vassal that is awful at it, so fabricating claims is out until his 60 year old rear end bites it. Still not entirely sure on how I can marry my way to any of those claims.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Find someone with a claim on the title that can be inherited, marry them into the family in such a way that the kids will be of your dynasty, eventually press those kids' claims. There are a lot of variations on it but they basically all boil down to that.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

If I remember this correctly you don't count as his vassal, and won't be on his council, but you do have votes on Scottish crown laws and maybe also count as an Elector. I'm not sure about counting as an Elector because I haven't played around with elective in a long time and even when I did I can't think of a time when it actually came up, but maybe.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

There's absolutely nothing anyone can do. This is my first game.

The first sentence gives away what you state in the second.

Once you're more experienced, you'll see that the insane pope has now created the perfect opportunity for you to declare your independence and then create your own anti-pope, at which point you can force your puppet pope to give you claims on any titles you want, and excommunicate any problem vassals/councillors. :black101:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HotCanadianChick posted:

The first sentence gives away what you state in the second.

Once you're more experienced, you'll see that the insane pope has now created the perfect opportunity for you to declare your independence and then create your own anti-pope, at which point you can force your puppet pope to give you claims on any titles you want, and excommunicate any problem vassals/councillors. :black101:

In one of history's great ironies, the holy roman empire has nothing to do with rome, and very little to do with anything holy.

(it's also not very imperial)

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I wish Conclave let you see why Councillors would/wouldn't support a law change, like you can with wars.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Snatch Duster posted:

I just started playing again after about 3 years away and wouldn't have known it was horrible if not for this thread.

e: To clarify, I'm not making GBS threads on the opinion of goons that dislike Conclave. I picked up all the expansions I'd missed at once when I came back, so it was just essentially part of the base rules while I relearned the game. Someone who's been playing actively prior to Conclave would have a much different perspective, especially if it severely screwed with how they were used to playing.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jul 5, 2016

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
DD train don't stop:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-2-dd-13-pagans-advisors-and-warrior-women.955632/

lurksion posted:

I do dislike that it greatly reduces the (already low) interactivity you have on educating kids. And if you want to actually interact with the new methods...
Previously: Give kid an educator with good traits and stats
Now: Hope you've memorized what kid traits map to adult traits! And what educator traits cause kid traits to turn into a different adult trait! Aka memorize this

The UI shows you which kid traits map to which adult traits right on the focus picking window. Mouse over the kid traits.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jul 5, 2016

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I have a soft spot for both Romuva and Finnish pagans, so those defensive pagan changes are nice. I also don't mind further improvements of Norse pagans.

And better opportunities for women are very welcome, a great addition to the Conclave gender laws.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

When is Secret DLC due out? And will Maimed Shieldmaidens who lose a leg gain the Lustful trait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
The most I can say is it won't be out this month. Not getting the one-legged reference though, sorry!

• Locked thread