Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

VioletCorsica posted:

lesswrongbot posted:

Countryside, pitching the tent and Hermione. Words failed them. They rose upward in circles, higher and her voice so fearsome that it was an egg. Hagrid was still issuing large amounts of food in his dreams with anyone. He knew long before that. I should have, it would be staying at Hogwarts next year.

lesswrongbot posted:

Too tidy; the windows were rattling in their surroundings. He was as though someone had just entered the Potions master, was staring at the map. Harry had spent every evening in a satisfied smile. Fang started to make sure we're safer out in front of him, my Lord. Let me rip you.... Let me rip you.... Let me find out more about her hair.

HPMOR by James Joyce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Fifty Shades of Yud

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

"Her voice so fearsome that it was an egg" is better than anything Big Yud ever wrote.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Have you considered also filtering in Three World's Collide?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

reignonyourparade posted:

Have you considered also filtering in Three World's Collide?

Thank you! I added some Harry Potter canon books so it's a little more coherent recently. I'm adding Three World's Collide now.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

lesswrongbot posted:

I decided not to exist. Hermione arrived at the mouth of the glass. Black looked up. The hippogriff was making a speech. He was in the tangle of his wand. Ogden ran for his glasses. He didn't dare go and visit Hagrid, though, as he shuffled out of the season. Gryffindor versus Slytherin, first game of chess, he said softly.

lesswrongbot posted:

Combined that with my fingers in his stomach. He remembered. He had known him, Fred seemed to feature The Adventures of Martin Miggs, the Mad Muggle. Ron's magic wand was snapped in two. Even full of clammy, rotted hands and promising to have fallen in love with anything difficult. Not unless Miss Edgecombe is using to marshal his ideas. He slowed down, searching for their trunks and boughs that formed this terms project, and tends to suffer lasting damage from the students.

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 29, 2016

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

VioletCorsica posted:

Thank you! I added some Harry Potter canon books so it's a little more coherent recently. I'm adding Three World's Collide now.

I know you get better quality just from expanding your corpus, but I'd like to think that the difference in writing style is enough that a Rowling bot just sounds noticably saner than a Yudkowsky bot.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Pavlov posted:

I know you get better quality just from expanding your corpus, but I'd like to think that the difference in writing style is enough that a Rowling bot just sounds noticably saner than a Yudkowsky bot.

Here are some Rowlingbot quotes.

rowlingbot posted:

He lurched forward, getting onto platform nine and ten. The only thing that could be eating for breakfast was at this very stall. I remember it as it sprinted across the room and went off target. It was so hungry he was. If Snape gets hold of a dementor halt, very close to him. She was white and the Fat Lady.

rowlingbot posted:

He hadn't been a corpse. The waxy skin was a moment's indecision, but there was a jumble of scrawled notes off the floor. The classroom lamps were draped with scarves and shawls around their necks and legs. Mesmerized, Harry looked up. It was lit with flaming torches.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Can someone explain to me where the enjoyment comes from in reading those things? Is it just "look at how close to not-gibberish my computer program can get"?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Murphy Brownback posted:

Can someone explain to me where the enjoyment comes from in reading those things? Is it just "look at how close to not-gibberish my computer program can get"?
If you don't enjoy this one, well, ok, you're probably normal.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Murphy Brownback posted:

These kinds of bots are pretty much ~lol random~ humor, but written by grown adults and loosely centered around a particular subject. @you_have_died is the quintessential example of this: there's no reason to find nonsensical and bizarre ways to die funny, you either do or you don't. If you're not inclined to surrealist mashup humor, they're not really for you.

I personally enjoy this parody of thinkpiece headlines, and because I run in social justice circles I enjoy this parody of bad social justice discourse. ("You Have To Buy Woman-Made Coffee To Be A Real Feminist", "Cishet Kinksters Co-Opting Queerness is Body Positive When I Do It". This poo poo is gold to me.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Ok, I wasn't trying to be insulting or anything I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I guess they're not for me.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Murphy Brownback posted:

I would take a slightly more nuanced view and say that it is interesting how the bots retain the style of an author even when horribly jumbled. Rowlingbot is noticeably more sophisticated than Yudkowbot with a longer and less choppy sentence structure.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Jazerus posted:

I would take a slightly more nuanced view and say that it is interesting how the bots retain the style of an author even when horribly jumbled. Rowlingbot is noticeably more sophisticated than Yudkowbot with a longer and less choppy sentence structure.

The best part is that Yudkowsky probably thinks this is sufficient proof of the impending singularity

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jazerus posted:

To be fair, most of that is recognisably the effect you get from expanding your corpus.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jazerus posted:

Ah but you see since everyone's supposed to write super tight terse spare prose nowadays, that means Yud is a better writer than Rowling!

Or something.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

To be fair, most of that is recognisably the effect you get from expanding your corpus.

Until you hit the tipping point where the corpus is big enough to revert your bot to mush

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
So are there nerds who work on optimizing the bots to get better, more sensible strings of bizarre gibberish? That could be a fun and interesting hobby.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

So are there nerds who work on optimizing the bots to get better, more sensible strings of bizarre gibberish? That could be a fun and interesting hobby.

If you start optimizing too far, you start deciding to work with cutting edge neural networks, and maybe put Mark Rosewater out of a job.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Do you know who else talked a lot about optimization? Eliezarry.

Makes you think.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

For me, programming it is an interesting puzzle. The bots make interesting poetic connections because the language doesn't mean anything - it has no referent. This is more practical for when I want to analyze data, but I'll take my humor where I can find it.

Lesswrongbot is canon Harry Potter plus HPMOR so rowlingbot has a smaller corpus, actually. In contrast to how this usually works, expanding the corpus (by adding HPMOR) makes the bot less coherent.

Perhaps this is the singularity.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
This is probably only tangentially relevant, but I came across an article in New Scientist about a huge cryonics facility being built in Texas, which has been named Timeship. Here's another article on it, focusing mainly on the project itself. It will able to store up to 50, 000 cryogenically preserved bodies, as well as tissues, cells and research labs.

The author is pretty skeptical of the idea of being able to take a frozen person, repair the damage done by current freezing processes and bring them back to life, but is more interested in the potential of cryopreserving cells and tissues rather than whole people or brains. Hell, the CEO of Alcor makes the comment that current preservation techniques aren't good enough to freeze a brain and have it still be viable. But considering that the people behind the project, Bill Faloon and Saul Kent, gave this Valentine guy several million dollars just to find a place to build the thing, and are planning to put even more money into improving the freezing process, we could get some useful applications out of it.

In the short term, donor organs could be cryopreserved for transportation or storage until a compatible donor is found, since being unable to find a compatible person within the limited distance an organ can be transported before it becomes useless is a huge problem that leads to a lot of donated organs simply going to waste. In the future, people could preserve their own stem cells, and if they ever find themselves in need of an organ transplant or replacement of heart valves/tendons/etc, the stem cells could be thawed and used to grow tissues that won't carry the risks of rejection or requirement of lifelong immunosuppressant therapy.

Maybe Big Yud and other people with crippling fears of death pouring money into the cryonics industry could be useful to humanity after all :unsmith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Well the people in charge of keeping Lenin's body pretty have advanced medical science so...

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Does this make Yud's alignment lawful... good? Chaotic... neutral?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Ten Becquerels posted:

This is probably only tangentially relevant, but I came across an article in New Scientist about a huge cryonics facility being built in Texas, which has been named Timeship. Here's another article on it, focusing mainly on the project itself. It will able to store up to 50, 000 cryogenically preserved bodies, as well as tissues, cells and research labs.

The author is pretty skeptical of the idea of being able to take a frozen person, repair the damage done by current freezing processes and bring them back to life, but is more interested in the potential of cryopreserving cells and tissues rather than whole people or brains. Hell, the CEO of Alcor makes the comment that current preservation techniques aren't good enough to freeze a brain and have it still be viable. But considering that the people behind the project, Bill Faloon and Saul Kent, gave this Valentine guy several million dollars just to find a place to build the thing, and are planning to put even more money into improving the freezing process, we could get some useful applications out of it.

In the short term, donor organs could be cryopreserved for transportation or storage until a compatible donor is found, since being unable to find a compatible person within the limited distance an organ can be transported before it becomes useless is a huge problem that leads to a lot of donated organs simply going to waste. In the future, people could preserve their own stem cells, and if they ever find themselves in need of an organ transplant or replacement of heart valves/tendons/etc, the stem cells could be thawed and used to grow tissues that won't carry the risks of rejection or requirement of lifelong immunosuppressant therapy.

Maybe Big Yud and other people with crippling fears of death pouring money into the cryonics industry could be useful to humanity after all :unsmith:

There are pretty big questions as to the viability of a brain for sentience once electrical activity stops anyway, even without the freezing issues.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Ten Becquerels posted:

This is probably only tangentially relevant, but I came across an article in New Scientist about a huge cryonics facility being built in Texas, which has been named Timeship. Here's another article on it, focusing mainly on the project itself.

Ten Becquerels posted:

Hell, the CEO of Alcor makes the comment that current preservation techniques aren't good enough to freeze a brain and have it still be viable.

Said CEO isn't cited in that article - do you have a clear cite on him saying that? (May be worth adding to the RW article.)

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
VioletCorsica, is this yours or are geniuses thinking alike?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

divabot posted:

Not mine, but what I am working up to! This looks cool, thanks!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

divabot posted:

Big Yud had a very Yud comment on it:

Eliezer Yudkowky posted:

You know, technically, the original was also written by a recurrent neural network...

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I wish to dunk his head in a toilet, vigorously.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
I'll give Yud his due, I thought that was funny.

Of course human brains are most likely recursive not recurrent though, because getting the technical aspects of a domain slightly wrong seems to be Yud's gimmick.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

i81icu812 posted:

In 88 days we've gone through 12 chapters out of 122 total chapters. At this rate we can look forward to completion on Oct 30, 2017.

In 625 days we've gone through 18 chapters out of 122 total chapters. At this rate we can look forward to completion on March 4, 2029.

JosephWongKS, don't think you can get off the hook that easily!

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

You could have let them wander out to pasture and die in their sleep. But no. No.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Eliezer S. Yudkowsky > Other > Fiction > Dark Lord's Answer: This is a 2-of-7 chapter sample of “Dark Lord’s Answer”. The remainder is available at Gumroad and Amazon.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Did you really have to break my bubble of pretending this idiot didn't exist

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

At least writing bad fantasy is an honest living. I'd much rather have him doing that than encouraging people to divert their charity money to his computer cult.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Just to be super-on-topic, here's a LessWrong drunk post that was deleted at the time but appears to have been reinstated. (Archive.)

Will Newsome posted:

Harry Yudkowsky and the Methods of Postrationality: Chapter One: Em Dashes Colons and Ellipses, Littérateurs Go Wild

Will_Newsome 06 July 2014 09:34AM

"If you give George Lukács any taste at all, immediately become the Deathstar." — Old Klingon Proverb

There was no nice way to put it: Harry James Potter-Yudkowsky was half Potter, half Yudkowsky. Harry just didn’t fit in. It wasn't that he lacked humanity. It was just that no one else knew (P)Many_Worlds, (P)singularity, or (P)their_special_insight_into_the_true_beautiful_Bayesian_fractally_recursive_nature_of_reality. Other people were roles—and how shall an actor, an agent, relate to those who are merely what they are, merely their roles? Merely their roles, without pretext or irony? How shall the PC gently caress with the NPCs? Harry James Potter-Yudkowsky oft asked himself this question, but his 11-year-old mind lacked the g to grasp the answer. For if you are to draw any moral from this tale, godforsaken readers, the moral you must draw is this: P!=NP.

One night Harry Potter-Yudkowsky was outside, pretending to be Keats, staring at the stars and the incomprehensibly vast distances between them, pondering his own infinite significance in the face of such an overwhelming sea of stupidity, when an owl dropped a letter directly on his head, winking slyly. “You’re a wizard,” said the letter, while the owl watched, increasingly gloatingly, “and we strongly suggest you attend our school, which goes by the name Hogwarts. 'Because we’re sexy and you know it.’”

Harry pondered this for five seconds. “Curse the stars!, literally curse them!, Abra Kadabra!, for I must admit what I always knew in my heart to be true,” lamented Harry. “This is fanfic.”

“Meh.”

And so, as they'd been furiously engaged in for months, the divers models of Harry Potter-Yudkowsky gathered dust. In layman’s terms...

Harry didn’t update at all.

Harry: 1
Author: 0

(To be fair, the author was drunk.)

Next chapter: "Analyzing the gently caress out of an Owl"

Criticism appreciated.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I figure I would do my due diligence for the sake of the community, or whatever, so I downvoted this post. Note that I'm a newer user of Less Wrong who isn't very familiar with Mr. Newsome's history of shenanigans on this website. So, I didn't have an automatic reaction to cringe, or something, when I encountered this piece. I downvoted this post based upon its own, singular lack of merit.

Mr. Newsome, here is some criticism I hope you appreciate.

Nothing about this first chapter here is enticing me to care about 'post-rationality', whatever that is. Eliezer Yudkowsky took a premise everyone was familiar with, and turned it on its head during the first chapter. He used a narrative format that was familiar, and actually wrote well. While the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality didn't immediately begin with a introduction of what the "methods of rationality" as applied to magic would be, per se, there was enough of that in the first chapter to keep others reading.

In hindsight, Mr. Yudkowsky couldn't have expected his fan fiction to become so popular, or so widely read. The fact that it has might be biasing me into thinking that his first crack at writing the fan fiction was better than it really is.

Anyway, it seems you're trying too much with this piece. Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is the premise everyone here is familiar with, but you've done more than just turn it on its head. You've turned the very idea of one having a deep familiarity with the tropes on Less Wrong on its head. The first paragraph is just a blast of memes; I'm familiar with all of them, but I don't understand what all of them mean. The first part is incoherent, and is signaling that you have the knowledge to mock (in jest) the Less Wrong community. That in itself isn't clever, and the rest of the piece isn't clever enough as a parody to keep us, the readers, engaged.

I perceive the second part of this chapter to be a bit funny, but it doesn't build upon anything to get me to care. I don't believe it will be sustainable to have Potter-Yudkowsky be aware that he is in a meta-fan-fiction. If the protagonist confronts you, the author, as the controller of the world he is simulated within, he can at best only engage with a caricature of yourself as you've written it. It's difficult for me to think of how you would handle that without it becoming boring, lest you're very talented, and creative. If Potter-Yudkowsky realizes he can use his awareness to gain superpowers, that destroys the suspension of disbelief in the fantasy world the reader immerses themselves in quickly, which would also be boring. Finally, based upon how this chapter has played out, it would be difficult to maintain great continuity into the next chapter, which I would personally find frustrating, and challenging, as a reader.

This reads as the first part of some absurdist fiction. Still, it contains little foresight. The fact that you were drunk at the time this chapter was written, and posted, leads me to suspect that such an aspect made you want to post something which would be entertaining to yourself, but wasn't crafted with much thought to how it would be received by whatever readership you were hoping for.

In short, this doesn't strike me as a direct parody of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, but a parody of the rationalist community itself(?). That's such an odd thing to do that I find it off-putting, and I consider it this piece's undoing.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I figure I would do my due diligence for the sake of the community, or whatever, so I downvoted this post. Note that I'm a newer user of Less Wrong who isn't very familiar with Mr. Newsome's history of shenanigans on this website. So, I didn't have an automatic reaction to cringe, or something, when I encountered this piece. I downvoted this post based upon its own, singular lack of merit.

Mr. Newsome, here is some criticism I hope you appreciate.

Nothing about this first chapter here is enticing me to care about 'post-rationality', whatever that is. Eliezer Yudkowsky took a premise everyone was familiar with, and turned it on its head during the first chapter. He used a narrative format that was familiar, and actually wrote well. While the first chapter of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality didn't immediately begin with a introduction of what the "methods of rationality" as applied to magic would be, per se, there was enough of that in the first chapter to keep others reading.

In hindsight, Mr. Yudkowsky couldn't have expected his fan fiction to become so popular, or so widely read. The fact that it has might be biasing me into thinking that his first crack at writing the fan fiction was better than it really is.

Anyway, it seems you're trying too much with this piece. Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is the premise everyone here is familiar with, but you've done more than just turn it on its head. You've turned the very idea of one having a deep familiarity with the tropes on Less Wrong on its head. The first paragraph is just a blast of memes; I'm familiar with all of them, but I don't understand what all of them mean. The first part is incoherent, and is signaling that you have the knowledge to mock (in jest) the Less Wrong community. That in itself isn't clever, and the rest of the piece isn't clever enough as a parody to keep us, the readers, engaged.

I perceive the second part of this chapter to be a bit funny, but it doesn't build upon anything to get me to care. I don't believe it will be sustainable to have Potter-Yudkowsky be aware that he is in a meta-fan-fiction. If the protagonist confronts you, the author, as the controller of the world he is simulated within, he can at best only engage with a caricature of yourself as you've written it. It's difficult for me to think of how you would handle that without it becoming boring, lest you're very talented, and creative. If Potter-Yudkowsky realizes he can use his awareness to gain superpowers, that destroys the suspension of disbelief in the fantasy world the reader immerses themselves in quickly, which would also be boring. Finally, based upon how this chapter has played out, it would be difficult to maintain great continuity into the next chapter, which I would personally find frustrating, and challenging, as a reader.

This reads as the first part of some absurdist fiction. Still, it contains little foresight. The fact that you were drunk at the time this chapter was written, and posted, leads me to suspect that such an aspect made you want to post something which would be entertaining to yourself, but wasn't crafted with much thought to how it would be received by whatever readership you were hoping for.

In short, this doesn't strike me as a direct parody of Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality, but a parody of the rationalist community itself(?). That's such an odd thing to do that I find it off-putting, and I consider it this piece's undoing.

An AI in the future is running a simulation of this person's existence solely to dump their books over and over for eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

The question is: is Rowling's Cursed Child play better or worse that MoR? Now that we've had time for it to sink in and we're less stunned.

The Shortest Path posted:

Did you really have to break my bubble of pretending this idiot didn't exist

Hey now! That's no way to talk about OP!