Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Just lol if you think the uber model is a fair price for society in general to pay so you can get home for $5 cheaper when you're pissed, m9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I think secondary tax makes uber pretty unattractive as a part time thing

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx

Infotainment! posted:

Just lol if you think the uber model is a fair price for society in general to pay so you can get home for $5 cheaper when you're pissed, m9

One of the more alpha-female peers from law school is now the operations manager here in NZ, is unsurprising :\

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Jacobin posted:

One of the more alpha-female peers from law school is now the operations manager here in NZ, is unsurprising :\

Sever

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

gently caress HARAMBE posted:

I think secondary tax makes uber pretty unattractive as a part time thing

Aren't Uber drivers contractors, so PAYE wouldn't apply?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
The last uber I took, the driver said he was paying it. Might have been mistaken

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Ah secondary tax, the single greatest gently caress you to the poor successive neoliberal governments have managed to ignore.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What's so bad about secondary tax? Just claim it back..

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

*Freezes to death waiting for end of financial year.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

echinopsis posted:

It's fine if you're earning a decent wage, but if you're living hand to mouth then you can't afford to overpay and then wait until July to get it back. And if you're earning a decent amount, chances are you aren't working two jobs and paying secondary tax...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't you get a custom tax code then? I'm sure that's an option

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
What's the point of it in the work environment of the last two decades anyway? It made sense in 1973 when a family could be comfortable on a single income, but in the twenty-first century it's nothing more than a punitive measure against the working poor. CEO's are not stocking shelves at K mart on the weekend.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Isn't it to avoid tax bills at the end of the year?

If you worked 10 jobs at 10k a year each, and each was taxed as if it was your only income, you'd pay far less tax than 1 single 100k job, and owe tax.

Of course secondary tax just assumes maximum tax and you get it back. And I thought you could calculate a custom tax code. We've been offered that, to pay less tax rather than get a tax refund.

Perhaps nowadays there is some way of dynamically working out your tax code week to week based on earnings? Lot of solutions and not really elegant, because no one generally knows at the start of the year how much they will earn by the end of it.

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

echinopsis posted:

Isn't it to avoid tax bills at the end of the year?

If you worked 10 jobs at 10k a year each, and each was taxed as if it was your only income, you'd pay far less tax than 1 single 100k job, and owe tax.

Yes this is the theory, but much like trickle down economics et al it is completely divorced from reality. No one has ten jobs at 10,000 a pop, but an absolute gently caress ton have a couple at 10-15 to get by.

Your theoretical ten jobber also has enough to cover their expenses and put tax aside and/or pay an accountant.

The people who this supposedly helps don't exist and if they did they don't need it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah I was just trying to demonstrate the tax reasons why secondary tax exists.

If someone has multiple jobs and they want to pay the correct amount of tax up front and avoid bills/refunds they can create their own tax code http://www.ird.govt.nz/forms-guides/number/forms-001-99/ir023bs-form-special-taxcode.html and not pay secondary tax at all.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Also Uber drivers are probably being hosed by provisional tax. Another one of those sounds reasonable in theory but can really gently caress over a small time contractor struggling to get by.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and don't get me started about how they have to have a WOF

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
The thing with secondary tax is that those impacted by it are also unlikely to have an in depth knowledge of the tax code and taxation system. They just know what comes into their bank account each week. They may have no idea how to claim a tax refund, or even know that they should be doing that. And this is why you see a proliferation of lovely tax refund companies who then take a cut for literally filling out the same tax form you could for free, if you knew it existed.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This is also why I'm generally against any sort of system that involves getting a rebate from the government after the fact. Very few people will ever know such a rebate exists, and you end up with the tax clusterfuck of the USA, who'll often point out all these wonderful rebates the poor could potentially receive, but the reality is they're not, because they don't have tax accountants to tell them they can.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
And I get that too, but perhaps I am just not imaginative enough to see what better options there are, given a progressive tax scheme. Because when I say that, secondary tax prevent tax bills at the end of the year and you can avoid secondary tax if you put time in. Ignorance isn't an excuse for breaking the law either..

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

echinopsis posted:

And I get that too, but perhaps I am just not imaginative enough to see what better options there are, given a progressive tax scheme. Because when I say that, secondary tax prevent tax bills at the end of the year and you can avoid secondary tax if you put time in. Ignorance isn't an excuse for breaking the law either..

IRD should get the same advertising budget as those lovely tax refund companies.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
NZ's income tax system is really simple (and quite low rates) and most of the time when i hear people complain about "secondary tax" they think they are more tax than someone who earned the same amount but only worked one job (which they don't). the people who will end up needing to claim rebates from IRD are people with patchy employment over the year — less likely uber drivers and more likely factory/dock workers on zero-hour contracts.

what really fucks the poor over in NZ is GST — rob salmond wrote a book on it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yes, and people whose second job takes them over one of the thresholds, particularly the first two.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Local government elections coming up soon. Anything interesting happen so far?

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

fong posted:

Yes, and people whose second job takes them over one of the thresholds, particularly the first two.
what thresholds?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Lancelot posted:

what thresholds?

For the bottom two tax brackets, $14000/year and $48000/year

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's not even starting on Lump Sum Tax, where secondary rates will automatically shift bump you up to the next rate over, unless you're SB.

Then again, I can't think of many people who aren't already in middle management who get performance incentives or other irregular bonuses. Unless you're with a Union (loving join a union) the only lump sum tax you're likely to pay is on your final pay's leave balance.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Lobsterpillar posted:

Local government elections coming up soon. Anything interesting happen so far?

John Palino is goinng to have another tilt at Auckland mayoralty. There's also a few clowns waiting in the wings who might make a surprise entrance.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope Nga Dave has another run.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
What's Penny Bright getting up to anyway?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Is banks going to throw his hat in again now that he's been cleared?

Vote Phil Goff btw

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

fong posted:

Is banks going to throw his hat in again now that he's been cleared?

Vote Phil Goff btw

gently caress Goff. That landbanking usurious prig can die in a fire.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Infotainment! posted:

gently caress Goff. That landbanking usurious prig can die in a fire.

But if you rule out people for these reasons you'll have like no one to vote for. Maybe Nga Dave

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

fong posted:

But if you rule out people for these reasons you'll have like no one to vote for. Maybe Nga Dave

Nga Dave for PM

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Wellington election btw? There's like a big clusterfuck of left-leaning mayoral candidates, does that mean Nicola Young is going to win it this time?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Wellington uses STV so the vote won't be split, but Nick Leggett is bad so don't vote for him

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

Nga Dave for PM

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Pretty sure Tapuface is the only viable candidate to set our country back on track.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Did I miss the whole Uber employing a whole bunch of illegal (unregistered) taxi drivers in NZ thing? When did that hit the news?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
A while ago. Uber's entire business model is based entirely on those in power being to old and retarded to understand they are still operating illegally despite having a loving app.

• Locked thread