Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ive played the fan translation and the tl that got released on steam and near as i could remember only like, two-three jokes got changed, and even then it was mostly just changing 'directly talking about the process of in-and-out' to 'dropping innuendos,' it isn't really a huge deal and could have just as easily been to make the joke funnier/flow better as it was to tone down the sexual stuff.

Iunno if the fan translation toned things down any, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

SweetBro posted:

Matter of perspective imo. The original was like 40-50 hours long depending on how fast you read. 15 of which was arguably the common route. Considering that the common route should obviously be shorter since you've already been introduced to all of the character, I don't think that this is such a bad deal since I rather not have to read through a bunch of uninteresting fluff. Maybe it's not as good of a value proposition as the first one, but I don't think 20-25 hours for $40 is a bad value either. poo poo, that's less than what a new audio-book of that length would cost.

Eh, I just think this one in particular is more worthy of people waiting for a sale than with the first. I still bought it anyway though so :shrug:.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Nondevor posted:

My friend bought me Code:Realize as a surprise gift in an attempt to get me into otome games. I like shoujo manga/romance stuff so I figured why not?

Verdict: I'm finding the writing good so far, like the characters + art, and Victor is the cutest and a sweetheart imo

Thanks friend!

Victor is the best and otome games are super fun. Please don't be turned off by there always being one guy who is a creep.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What are you talking about, St. Germain is perfectly ok.
Totally. No problems at all.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Fru Fru posted:

Victor is the best and otome games are super fun. Please don't be turned off by there always being one guy who is a creep.

It can't be helped as it's the fate of all VNs :sigh:

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i really enjoyed root double, the first route (with watase) was the best but the rest of it was still pretty enjoyable. my only real complaint is that there were some sections where i wish they had used the relationship meter mechanic more - pretty much the entire second route with natsuhiko you could just crank all the meters to max and leave them there the whole time. i also don't get why they let you choose between natsuhiko and watase for the first arc you read, reading natsuhiko first would ruin the mystery in watase's part. overall one of the better VNs i've read, good art, good writing, good characters.

currently i'm reading i/o and...not really liking it much. i just finished the first arc with hinata and it feels like a lot of plot elements just come out of the blue. like the reveal that the suicide epidemic at the school is the result of the administration aiding a drug ring that targets IC teens, there was pretty much nothing that suggested the school itself was corrupt before that. and then suddenly hinata is a wanted drug dealer because enlil was mad at him and hacked records into casting suspicion on him, so he goes on the run? what the hell? it feels like it's just throwing the story elements out without giving a reason for them. apparently i'm only something like 1/8th of the way through the game so hopefully it gets better

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yeah, the SSS settings for Root Double felt kinda arbitrary at places. Would've rather have had choices or being able to set moods instead of slide a scale.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i liked the SSS settings because it uses them in clever and not immediately obvious ways for a lot of choices that would have lost impact if you could have just selected the choice from a menu. like for example the scene where they're arguing with ena about the gun, if there was a menu choice of "support ena/support jun/support ukita/split up the gun" the correct answer would be obvious, but with the SSS system you have to think "if i back one person over the others when tensions are running high it could easily lead to a deadly fight, so i better do something that doesn't favor any one party" and set the meters equal. it would have been easy to be lazy with the choices but most of the game is good about making you consider how to get the ideal result, my beef is that some of the sections make it too easy

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

HGH posted:

What are you talking about, St. Germain is perfectly ok.
Totally. No problems at all.

I'm saving his route for last because a) my friend told me to and b) he seems like the mysterious character who should be revealed at the end. I like St. Germain better when he's just the odd, whimsical count who's looking for something fun - really liked how he reacted to Cardia's backstory for example. The midstory twist was really :stare: though.

I just finished Victor's route and am currently on Van Helsing's. Once again, Victor and Cardia are just :3: plus I liked how serious Leonhardt was. Too bad he's a clown in all the other routes. Cardia is a cool MC in general so I enjoyed the focus on her own issues re: the poison etc.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Stexils posted:

i liked the SSS settings because it uses them in clever and not immediately obvious ways for a lot of choices that would have lost impact if you could have just selected the choice from a menu. like for example the scene where they're arguing with ena about the gun, if there was a menu choice of "support ena/support jun/support ukita/split up the gun" the correct answer would be obvious, but with the SSS system you have to think "if i back one person over the others when tensions are running high it could easily lead to a deadly fight, so i better do something that doesn't favor any one party" and set the meters equal. it would have been easy to be lazy with the choices but most of the game is good about making you consider how to get the ideal result, my beef is that some of the sections make it too easy

That was a drat good scene, but if there were just say three options (Positive, neutral, negative) itd still do the same and would be easier to evaluate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sharin no Kuni is getting a kickstarter. It's the same company that made Devil on G-String.

Personally, meh. But some people sure loved the poo poo out of it so maybe worth a look if you liked Devil on G-String.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Loved the concept and the world, but the characters are a little on the weak side. Its enjoyable, but not great.

Also Grisaia 2 is a ripoff due to how half of it is just fan service and the other half is just backstory followed by the worst cliffhanger. Bet Grisaia 3 is really good, but since they chopped half of it off for this I bet its similarly short.

Sacrificial Toast
Nov 5, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I would find the actual drink making less tedious if I could just click the ingredients instead of dragging them.

Agreed, but there are actually shortcut keys. QWERT are assigned to each ingredient from left to right. Would still be nice to just be able to use the mouse. Also, the game never tells you about them, and has no control bindings or listings.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

New otoge localizations from Aksys Games from AX: http://gematsu.com/2016/07/bad-apple-wars-code-realize-fan-disc-collar-malice-period-cube-coming-north-america

I can't wait since 2/3 titles I chose from the Otomate survey a few months ago on FB.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Crazy isn't it? Although I had a feeling Bad Apple Wars would find its way here. It seemed really popular for a while.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

:siren: Steam Umineko drops in 4 days :siren:

I can't wait to ahaha.wav again

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I've been meaning to reread Umineko (especially after Fata Morgana dropped) but it's so daunting, now that I'm employed and poo poo. Can't really just burn whole days on it like I used to :smith:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Hey, Baldr Sky Drive is being localised. Considering the second game is up there with Muv Luv Alternative and Steins Gate at #3 on VNDB, I'm somewhat excited.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh neat, always heard that was good

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Stexils posted:

There were also some issues with how the main character's SSS rating sometimes represented how much they value their own safety, and sometimes represented how self-confident they are (at the risk of their own safety). It's visible in the first couple hours of the A route: the very first game over happens if you set the main character's SSS too high, which makes him over-confident in a deadly situation. Another game over later on in the game works in the opposite way: setting the main character's SSS too low will make him blow off warnings about how to safely search an area, while setting it high will make him more attentive to his own safety.

Overall, I agree that it was usually easy to figure out what the correct answer was (generally set everyone one notch under max and only modify it if the game makes it obvious that you should) except I'm not sure I would have figured out how to get the good ending to the A route by myself before getting bored and looking up a guide, which is what I did (I'm still not clear about what exactly puts you on the way to the good ending instead of the "normal" ending -- I think it's teaming up with Kazami instead of the other choices at a certain point in the game?). I'm pretty sure that's the only situation that actually left me clueless, since the hint you get at the end is "you wasted too much time" which isn't very helpful given that there's hundreds of choices that may or may not be determined to be a time waster.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I think I'd like otome games, but I've become a hardline misandrist and I never want to hear another story about a man ever again. Are there any otome games on Steam that are about, I don't know, women's friendships? Or anything else but dudes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

there are games on steam about girls kissing

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

FractalSandwich posted:

I think I'd like otome games, but I've become a hardline misandrist and I never want to hear another story about a man ever again. Are there any otome games on Steam that are about, I don't know, women's friendships? Or anything else but dudes?

I'd suggest going through Hella Yuri's recommendations list for things that look like visual novels but I'm assuming you did that already.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I've seen that it exists. I haven't dug that deep into it before because its attitude really grates on me. I know people in this thread know their poo poo, so it seemed easier to ask here than to dig through everything myself trying to find things that aren't made by and for men, and super gross and voyeuristic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

how does the attitude grate on you? the steam group's run by a woman and all the recommendations are just summaries of what's in the game

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day
Kindred Spirits on the Roof and the upcoming Nurse Love Addiction are both very good yuri games! Maybe Flowers will come out sometime this year and actually have a decent English translation.

I've only played one route so far, but I also thought Starlight Vega was pretty cute.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FractalSandwich posted:

trying to find things that aren't made by and for men

Just about every video game is made by men so you may find your choices severely limited here.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

Just about every video game is made by men so you may find your choices severely limited here.
uhm

the entire otome genre was created by a woman, tho'

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Little Lily Princess is decent too, apart from the dumb busy work stats to unlock routes thing

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

uhm

the entire otome genre was created by a woman, tho'

Guess who does most of the programming for them these days.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Midjack posted:

Guess who does most of the programming for them these days.
i dont think the programming has any effect on the writing, which is the main appeal of otome games and has a fairly even gender ratio and even in cases where it is written by a dude is usually edited by at least some women?

and otome games definitely aren't for men

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Little Lily Princess is decent too, apart from the dumb busy work stats to unlock routes thing

Busy work owns tho

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

Seeing how a pretty large chunk of high profile vn artists and scenarists are women, that seem like a really silly thing to post in the vn thread imho. Yes, there's more things made by men, but it's nowhere near as dominant as in other types of games.

also, lol at "women can't program"

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Hanako had a blog post about that during development: it was a deliberate walk back from LLTQ where a lot of players got frustrated by realising partway through the game that they didn't have the stats to survive and wouldn't be able to get them without starting over or reloading from a long time ago. She kinda walked pretty far in the other direction to the point where the existence of stats at all feels a little vestigial, but I do feel like it still gives some extra impact to the shift from Act 1 to Act 2, where all of your stats and tasks change.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Endorph posted:

how does the attitude grate on you? the steam group's run by a woman and all the recommendations are just summaries of what's in the game
The phrase "female/female romantic content" makes a really bad first impression, and an itemised list of the features of pieces of software seems like a deeply unpleasant way of talking about sexuality to me, even if it's appropriate for what they're doing in this very specific case. You might be right that I'm being too sensitive, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

1) how does the phrase 'female/female romantic content' make a bad first impression? you can't really call it 'lesbian romance' or anything because some of the characters involved might be bi or whatever

2) the itemised list is insanely useful because you can see exactly what content is in the game at a glance. sexuality isn't some like magic pure thing. it's just two girls macking on each other. this game has two girls macking on each other, click here to buy it. this game has a side character who's a lesbian but no real content about that, click here to buy it. it's good. it isn't even a very specific case, it's a resource for people who want games with ladies making the moves on each other that lists the games that have the chicks going 'mwa mwa' and describes at a glance how that manifests in the game. idk what the problem there would be

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

1) how does the phrase 'female/female romantic content' make a bad first impression? you can't really call it 'lesbian romance' or anything because some of the characters involved might be bi or whatever

2) the itemised list is insanely useful because you can see exactly what content is in the game at a glance. sexuality isn't some like magic pure thing. it's just two girls macking on each other. this game has two girls macking on each other, click here to buy it. this game has a side character who's a lesbian but no real content about that, click here to buy it. it's good. it isn't even a very specific case, it's a resource for people who want games with ladies making the moves on each other that lists the games that have the chicks going 'mwa mwa' and describes at a glance how that manifests in the game. idk what the problem there would be

It's useful in the other direction as well, if there's a specific game you're already looking at and you want to know exactly how gay you can be in it before you make a purchasing decision

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

It's useful in the other direction as well, if there's a specific game you're already looking at and you want to know exactly how gay you can be in it before you make a purchasing decision
yeah that too. no joke i'd rather have a 10 word description of whether or not the girls kiss than a 5 paragraph essay debating if hyperdimension neptunia panders to the male gaze

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Truga posted:

Seeing how a pretty large chunk of high profile vn artists and scenarists are women, that seem like a really silly thing to post in the vn thread imho. Yes, there's more things made by men, but it's nowhere near as dominant as in other types of games.

also, lol at "women can't program"

Didn't say they can't; I'm pointing out that it's extremely rare to find a software production that's 100% female staffed.

We have a self-described "hardline misandrist" who is "trying to find things that aren't made by and for men." The last time I attempted to assist someone in selecting products with similar criteria they were extremely firm on the point of "nobody from <group I don't like> involved in production of the thing in any capacity" and it is extremely difficult to find a piece of mass media that isn't created by some kind of heterogeneous group.

If FractalSandwich isn't as selective as that and is more concerned about writing and tone than who's actually putting the pieces together then there are more options available that will not compromise that value set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's not like any of the Steam descriptions are on the level of say, the Fear Effect 2 ads or anything anyway.