Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Not a Step posted:

E: ^^ Didn't want those votes anyways. In unrelated news, those grapes were probably sour, I'm glad I can't reach them

What, precisely, do you think Clinton would have gotten from a bigger win in the primary than she got? What is the marginal return on additional primary votes? It's not like the general where there is some argument that the margin translates into a greater or lesser mandate (give or take a George W. getting fewer votes and claiming a mandate). Once you're the nominee you're the nominee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Not a Step posted:

A zombie campaign that still went 55/45. How terrible is Clinton that a no hoper zombie campaign powered by college kids pizza money and which was effectively dead after the first Super Tuesday still managed to take several states and end up 55/45 in the pledged delegate count?

Considering Bill had the same thing happen to him, probably not too bad.

Bill had even less of the vote going into the 92 primary than Hillary does now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

computer parts posted:

just further proof that everyone in America has always hated the Clintons :smug:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
The clintons are good.

Michelle 2024, Chelsea 2032. Malia 2040, by which point the us will officially have become a diarchy.

Defiance
Jan 1, 2008

by Deplorable exmarx

Not a Step posted:

Hillary is a solid power broker who shut any 'good' candidates out of the race before it even started

Are you saying she killed Biden's kid? Is there a betting market for indictment on that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Quorum posted:

The clintons are good.

Michelle 2024, Chelsea 2032. Malia 2040, by which point the us will officially have become a diarchy.

:yeah:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Quorum posted:

The clintons are good.

I hope I live long enough to see President Malia sign the order suspending the constitution and dissolving congress.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

Bill won 35 states and his next closest competitor, Jerry Brown, had only 6 states with 20% of the vote. So not really 'less' than Hillary, who won fewer than 30 states.

point of return
Aug 13, 2011

by exmarx
The thing that makes it hard to compare Bernie's run with other primaries is that the only other campaign not to bail before halfway in was Hillary Clinton herself.

Also I think people massively overrate Joe Biden's strength as a candidate. Though he would likely get enough votes to make it a "true" contested convention. (Seriously, the people mad about Wall Street aren't going to vote for the Senator from Credit Card Shell Company. The people who don't like Hillary Clinton as a person might, though.)

snakeandbake
Aug 21, 2012

by exmarx

point of return posted:

The thing that makes it hard to compare Bernie's run with other primaries is that the only other campaign not to bail before halfway in was Hillary Clinton herself.

Also I think people massively overrate Joe Biden's strength as a candidate. Though he would likely get enough votes to make it a "true" contested convention. (Seriously, the people mad about Wall Street aren't going to vote for the Senator from Credit Card Shell Company. The people who don't like Hillary Clinton as a person might, though.)

are you suggesting that people would make ridiculous and outlandish statistical analyses in this, the Nate Silver thread?

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Not a Step posted:

Bill won 35 states and his next closest competitor, Jerry Brown, had only 6 states with 20% of the vote. So not really 'less' than Hillary, who won fewer than 30 states.

lol counting states. Nevermind New York, Florida, California, what did Idaho and Utah do???

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Not a Step posted:

Bill had 52% of the vote (compared with 55 here) and had not one but three zombie campaigns to fight against. Sounds like Hillary is the more consensus candidate.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

computer parts posted:

Bill had 52% of the vote (compared with 55 here) and had not one but three zombie campaigns to fight against. Sounds like Hillary is the more consensus candidate.

With four competing messages Bill getting half the vote makes him the consensus candidate. Despite having three other options more people preferred him. Hillary dropped 45% of the delegates to a crazy old man from Vermont who only ever had the one speech.

You guys don't have to cultishly defend her. Its ok to admit Hillary is a deeply, deeply flawed candidate. Trump is ten times worse and shes going to slam dunk him in the GE. Be happy!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Not a Step posted:

With four competing messages Bill getting half the vote makes him the consensus candidate.

No, having more candidates makes him less of a consensus candidate. Bill getting a plurality of votes in the 92 general didn't make him more of a consensus candidate.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

smg77 posted:

I hope I live long enough to see President Malia sign the order suspending the constitution and dissolving congress.

She wouldn't be called President Malia, she'd be called President Obama unless she changed her name to be Malia Malia :colbert:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

exquisite tea posted:

Before HRC blew it open after California, Bernie was trailing her by about the same percentages as Cruz lost to Trump, which nobody considered close at any point. I voted for the Bernman myself and it'd be cool if he won but he didn't have the juice and my delusional facebook friends with their Bernie math projections just became super pathetic and sad after awhile.

Same.

I wanted Bernie to win but I totally understand that he didn't. I also understand that while he had unprecedented fund raising sources it did translate to unprecedented margins for the overall primary. But those two facts don't diminish his influence, or the worthiness of his message: namely to disenfranchise with prejudice, all voters except the 18-35 white male.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Powercrazy posted:

Same.

I wanted Bernie to win but I totally understand that he didn't. I also understand that while he had unprecedented fund raising sources it did translate to unprecedented margins for the overall primary. But those two facts don't diminish his influence, or the worthiness of his message: namely to disenfranchise with prejudice, all voters except the 18-35 white male.

You know Bernie did better with younger men and women voters.

Stop believing the whole bernie bro narrative, he lost because he couldn't win over the AOL or just discovered facebook demographic.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

etalian posted:

You know Bernie did better with younger men and women voters.

Stop believing the whole bernie bro narrative, he lost because he couldn't win over the AOL or just discovered facebook demographic.

Powercrazy was being sarcastic at the end of his post. He is a big fan of Bernie Sanders.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

disenfranchise with prejudice, all voters except the 18-35 white male.

Gary Johnson might actually have a chance!

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Civilized Fishbot posted:

She wouldn't be called President Malia, she'd be called President Obama unless she changed her name to be Malia Malia :colbert:

What if she marries a woman whose last name is Malia and takes her last name what then huh

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

What if she marries a woman whose last name is Malia and takes her last name what then huh

america won't be ready for a black lesbian secretly muslim president whose first name is the same as her last name

unless she has her dad as VP

Malia/Obama 2052

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

america won't be ready for a black lesbian secretly muslim president whose first name is the same as her last name

unless she has her dad as VP

Malia/Obama 2052

Robama/Robiden 2061

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Powercrazy was being sarcastic at the end of his post. He is a big fan of Bernie Sanders.

I appreciate the acknowledgement! Thanks!

And yes I was subverting the 'bernie-bro' narrative with an exaggerative rhetorical device.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Powercrazy posted:

I appreciate the acknowledgement! Thanks!

And yes I was subverting the 'bernie-bro' narrative with an exaggerative rhetorical device.

:hfive:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
You're not really subverting an argument about misogyny by posting #NotAllMen.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

america won't be ready for a black lesbian secretly muslim president

millard fillmore

check and mate, bitch :colbert:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Appropos of nothing but the day I found out Mario's full name was Mario Mario blew my loving mind

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

Appropos of nothing but the day I found out Mario's full name was Mario Mario blew my loving mind

Get that gross non-canonical lie out of my sight.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

comes along bort posted:

millard fillmore

check and mate, bitch :colbert:

I don't understand

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

I honestly wonder if Nate Silver has any real friends. How can the people in his life not let him know how bad his hairline has gotten...

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

"Who could have seen me being happy, clearly the problem is that this is a once in a lifetime event and not my complete ignorance of everything that made me famous"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

e_angst posted:

I honestly wonder if Nate Silver has any real friends. How can the people in his life not let him know how bad his hairline has gotten...

He should go for a reverse mohawk, imho

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
A toupee, or perhaps a hat

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

He should go full Trump-coif one day and never address it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Asbury has issued a correction as of 23:40 on Jul 7, 2016

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

incidentally heres an old nate silver baseball thing i really liked - he basically gets to the question of 'was barry bonds better than babe ruth' by quantifying the quality of each season in the history of major league baseball relative to a common standard and working from there
https://books.google.com/books?id=VsmnfVUKJskC&lpg=PP1&pg=PR37#v=onepage&q&f=false
much better than his current pundit form

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Chokes McGee posted:

"Who could have seen me being happy, clearly the problem is that this is a once in a lifetime event and not my complete ignorance of everything that made me famous"

In fairness to Bad Hair Nate (I'm working on Trump-style epithets) the GOP primary really was a once-in-a-lifetime affair this cycle.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

look at the top of his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

look at the top of his head

No.

• Locked thread