Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

TorakFade posted:

I am very intrigued by the concept, but seen that the prices are so steep it's not really an impulse buy; first of all, is it worth the admission price? Computing power is no issue, if my rig can't run it it's time for a new rig :v:

If your luxuries budget can stretch to it then you're unlikely to regret it; a lot of people bought headsets purely for Elite and driving games and they're very happy with the results.

That said, there's little doubt that a year from now you'll be able to get a headset that's twice as good, and a year after that you'll be able to get one that's twice as good again and half the price. Early adoption is a pretty poor deal here. I'd echo the advice others have given; get a demo somewhere. If you're in a major US city there should be a lot of options, if not a bit of googling should find you a local enthusiast group that'll have someone willing to do demos. Nothing replaces trying it yourself, both for the good aspects and the "still first generation" aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

I can only that Shadow of Collosus in VR Roomscale must be insane. Not sure how you could control it.

This would be insane and amazing. And if Windlands and Altspace has taught me anything, it's that "gently caress comfort, using the trackpad to move and jump is just fine". Throw in squeezing the grips to grab on and rip off SPT's gun/shield swap mechanic for swapping between the sword and bow and you're in business.

Icedude fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 29, 2016

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
A new article about The Void
Another one with video.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 30, 2016

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
And HTC announced a $10 billion investment fund for VR and AR startups: http://uploadvr.com/htc-announces-vrvca/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Is there any kind of officially supported CAD program in VR? Or at least something like Fantastic Contraption where you grab and move things around, but with the ability to import models?

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Anyone had to send a Vive controller back for the trackpad failing to click on one side?

How long should I expect to only have one controller? Or do I have to send back both?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

After having played around with a gear VR and Oculus Rift for the better part of the week trying to find things that would make me ill, I have come to the conclusion that the people flipping out and complaining about being ill after riding VR coasters and stuff like that may just be generally motion sick individuals. I just don't get how you could get ill using this stuff? :confused:

I mean I get the theory yeah but I guess I just have an iron stomach.

My sister's reaction to Titans of Space was "Whoa"

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

After having played around with a gear VR and Oculus Rift for the better part of the week trying to find things that would make me ill, I have come to the conclusion that the people flipping out and complaining about being ill after riding VR coasters and stuff like that may just be generally motion sick individuals. I just don't get how you could get ill using this stuff? :confused:

I eat peanuts all the time and I've never had an allergic reaction. People who do must just be really susceptible to having their throats close up. I just don't get why you wouldn't just continue breathing? :confused:

You probably just haven't tried the worst stuff since they filter most of it out. Worst one for me so far was Omega Agent, if you play with the smooth turning and go into the sewers.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Not all VR is the same; if they gently caress up and the world is being rotated around a point that isn't in the right place, it's an express trip to barf city, population: spew

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Give this a try: https://github.com/phoboslab/Quakespasm-Rift/releases

if you're still not sick, then congrats you truly are immune. :v:

Stormangel
Sep 28, 2001
No, I'm not a girl.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Try navigating the maze in AltspaceVR VR using joystick move. I usually have an iron stomach but that messed with me.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Stormangel posted:

Try navigating the maze in AltspaceVR VR using joystick move. I usually have an iron stomach but that messed with me.

Yeah, the specific thing I think is using the joystick move in places where the walls are close by. In open air it's usually pretty fine, but if there are walls 5-10 ft away or closer you can feel it almost every time you move.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer
What's weird for me is that I did not have much of an issue playing Windlands or Omega Agent with the Vive (I did almost lose my balance a few times, but nothing major), but playing Lucky's Tale always seem to make my stomach lurch. I don't notice it as much now, but the first time was my first real feeling of "Oh, that's what people were talking about".

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Finally got my Oculus set up today. This is the first VR headset I've ever owned, but man, even Lucky's Tale blew me away. So excited to try stuff. FOV and SDE aren't a big deal - the most annoying thing are the god rays.

Anyone have a preference between Edge of Nowhere and Chronos?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

AndrewP posted:

Finally got my Oculus set up today. This is the first VR headset I've ever owned, but man, even Lucky's Tale blew me away. So excited to try stuff. FOV and SDE aren't a big deal - the most annoying thing are the god rays.

Anyone have a preference between Edge of Nowhere and Chronos?

I like them both but Chronos definitely offers more varied and longer gameplay. EoN is more or less ice wall climbing, sneaking, and occasionally shooting. It's got a cool story, but between the two I think most people would get more out of Chronos.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
They're also very different style games, Chronos is more combat oriented and EoN is stealth. That said I liked Chronos a lot more.

TANSTAAFL
Feb 10, 2006
fubar

Tom Guycot posted:

Give this a try: https://github.com/phoboslab/Quakespasm-Rift/releases

if you're still not sick, then congrats you truly are immune. :v:

That was really awesome, it works so well even on a Vive using Revive for support.
It seem's like a near flawless port except i couldn't connect to a multiplayer game.. it's been so long since i tried that with regular quake i don't know if this port is to blame.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
I wish there was a way that when I get an email or text or alert on my Apple Watch I could look at my wrist in VR and see my Apple Watch face. Get on it guys.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
There are people working on similar things.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
Totally agree. The Vive software has a notification system built into it but it works so well I've uninstalled their software completely from my PC and phone I get just as many notifications now. I'd love an app that lets me pick any Android aps notofications to be sent to the vive. Right now I turn on OutLoud on the phone and crank up the volume so I can kinda hear it read my notifications. I was hoping there was a simple Toast-like server that you could just UDP a message into SteamVR.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Or, just do what I do and ignore real world poo poo when in VR :shrug:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Truga posted:

Or, just do what I do and ignore real world poo poo when in VR :shrug:

For some of us any given notification could be something important or it might just be random garbage. That's pretty much the entire reason I bought my Android Wear watch in the first place, being able to just glance at my watch and know if I need to bother getting my phone out. If my boss is texting me for example it could be him inviting me to a cookout or he could have a customer calling him with a major problem and he's trying to find who's available to help while he's still collecting information.

The same applies here, if I get a text or a call it might be something I need to respond to immediately or it might be something I can ignore. The option to not be interrupted isn't on the table, my choices are between having to lift the headset and find my phone every time I hear certain notification sounds from it or being able to tell at a glance when it's not important.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Poetic Justice posted:

I like them both but Chronos definitely offers more varied and longer gameplay. EoN is more or less ice wall climbing, sneaking, and occasionally shooting. It's got a cool story, but between the two I think most people would get more out of Chronos.

Lemming posted:

They're also very different style games, Chronos is more combat oriented and EoN is stealth. That said I liked Chronos a lot more.

Thanks. Chronos it is, then.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Google is adding a VR shell to Chrome.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

My DK2 has been sitting in the box for nearly a year now. Is there anything out worth experiencing that works on the DK2 or is everything CV1 only? Want to give it one last go before selling it and waiting for 2nd gen in a few years.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Anything using a gamepad works with the DK2.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Had some more extensive time with the CV1.

Elite: Dangerous is wild. Stomach jumped at first and I was worried I wasn't going to be able to handle it, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Elite + HOTAS + CV1 is a sweet combination. Love looking around my cockpit. Now... to actually learn how to play Elite.

Assetto Corso is cool, but everything is kinda blurry. Moreso than other Rift games, so not sure what's up - might download PCars to see if it's any better and get a refund on one or both if not. Also, I don't have a wheel right now which is half the point of a hardcore sim. I still loved just looking around my car, though - it's just incredibly convincing. Actually looking BEHIND the seat is cool as hell. No real nausea to speak of after the initial "whoa" factor.

One interesting thing to do - step "out" of the car and gun the accelerator. Road surfing!

Anyone have any tips about the supersampling in Elite? I turned it to 1.5 in the game menu and it really seemed to help a lot with the aliasing, but a lot of places are saying that using the Oculus Debug Tool to do it is better. Anyone with any insight into this?

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

The debug tool works on Assetto Corsa, set it to 1.5 pixels. I'm not sure about elite, though I'd certainly test it since you'll want that for Assetto Corsa.

Regarding the DK2, you can use anything on the oculus store and anything without tracked controllers on steam. I plan to keep mine around, can always install the old 0.6 runtime and do some older things as well, like Alien.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

AndrewP posted:

Anyone have any tips about the supersampling in Elite? I turned it to 1.5 in the game menu and it really seemed to help a lot with the aliasing, but a lot of places are saying that using the Oculus Debug Tool to do it is better. Anyone with any insight into this?

Use whichever looks better to you. They do slightly different things; I believe the in-game setting removes slightly more aliasing but blurs things more.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You don't need the debug tool for Assetto Corsa. Assetto Corsa and iRacing both have render resolution multiplier settings in ini files.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

AndrewP posted:

Elite: Dangerous is wild. Stomach jumped at first and I was worried I wasn't going to be able to handle it, but I got used to it pretty quickly. Elite + HOTAS + CV1 is a sweet combination. Love looking around my cockpit. Now... to actually learn how to play Elite.

If you liked Elite, wait until you play War Thunder, I found the air combat in that way more intricate (and more comfortable because you can switch between cockpit and the default 3rd person follow cam). Plus, it has tanks too! And it's free!

For War Thunder, does anyone know if there's a way to move the UI elements during gameplay (map, score, damage window with tanks) all more in towards the center of view? I have to crane my neck to check all of them.

Edit: Also in War Thunder I looked up in my tank and saw bombers overhead, and actually shot one out of my air with my cannon, that's some badass poo poo.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

You don't need the debug tool for Assetto Corsa. Assetto Corsa and iRacing both have render resolution multiplier settings in ini files.

Good to know, I'll have to look into this.

ElZilcho
Apr 4, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

My DK2 has been sitting in the box for nearly a year now. Is there anything out worth experiencing that works on the DK2 or is everything CV1 only? Want to give it one last go before selling it and waiting for 2nd gen in a few years.

Project cars with a wheel like the G27, amazeballs.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The biggest thing I need in war thunder is a mouse reset to center button. With vr its wayyyy too easy to lose track of the mouse and nosedive into the ground because of it.

Picked up subnautica this weekend. Once you get used to the cursor being bound to what you're looking at, it's really fun in VR. Works great!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Can anyone tell if the Rift comes with a printed out paper invoice? I know you can do the mail thing but I wonder if I got a paper invoice with mine and just lost it. I'm trying to sell mine and the guy is asking about it because of the warranty.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ordered a Rift on May 11th, turns out it's on its way now - originally they predicted August shipping date. Guess they're really catching up now. Of course, the emails telling me this went into my spam folder so I only found out because my bank contacted me to tell me I was overdrawn on my current account :facepalm:

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The number one thing keeping me from playing longer sessions in the Rift is physical discomfort - the thing sits on my face like a weight. Constantly adjusting it up or down when either my cheek bones or brow gets sore. Thinking Oculus should have tried something like PSVR has where the weight is to the back of your head.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Trent Razor1911 posted:

Can anyone tell if the Rift comes with a printed out paper invoice? I know you can do the mail thing but I wonder if I got a paper invoice with mine and just lost it. I'm trying to sell mine and the guy is asking about it because of the warranty.

No, I don't believe a paper invoice came with mine, just email.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

El Grillo posted:

Ordered a Rift on May 11th, turns out it's on its way now - originally they predicted August shipping date. Guess they're really catching up now. Of course, the emails telling me this went into my spam folder so I only found out because my bank contacted me to tell me I was overdrawn on my current account :facepalm:

it is very difficult and expensive to ramp up production timelines, especially if you don't have an existing manufacturing infrastructure like oculus. so I'm guessing this is a direct result of order cancellations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Wintermutant posted:

No, I don't believe a paper invoice came with mine, just email.

same