Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

On the other hand, the guy in this thread who is upset that Comcast isn't firewalling his internet enough thinks phishing is performed by spammers sending "messages with links" to IP addresses.

Oh, original post about it was pretty dumb, expecting your ISP to do firewalling for you seem to just be asking for trouble.

I can't wrap my brain around that last part, and I spent an hour a few weeks ago trying to explain to an 87 year old woman that no, googling something doesn't make the information appear there(I had googled her son to prove a point, and a week later he started getting threatening calls for someone else with his name).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

One weird trick for securing your network - auditors hate him!

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

mewse posted:

One weird trick for securing your network - auditors hate him!

Unplug it!

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sickening posted:

Please install MDT on a share and simply use WDS to host the boot image. You will be happier.

Quoted for infinite wisdom.

Do not use WDS to do anything other than provide the PXE boot image and the service. It's a dumpster fire.

Do all the cool stuff with your image using MDT.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Quoted for infinite wisdom.

Do not use WDS to do anything other than provide the PXE boot image and the service. It's a dumpster fire.

Do all the cool stuff with your image using MDT.

This.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

xzzy posted:

It's funny how much damage Microsoft has done to themselves by being so pushy with Win10. It's definitely a solid update from Win7, at least for home users (don't use windows at work so got no opinion on it there), but I think this campaign has generated so much bad press people are digging their heels in and refusing to try it out.

If Microsoft had been chill and left it on the list as an optional update or made a simple "you got X days left for your free update" notification on a reboot no one would give a poo poo.

To be fair, if they had made it an optional update that just sat quietly by itself, their upgrade adoption would be near zero. You don't get people actively making a choice about this stuff until you force them to make a choice to continue. The number of Win XP machines still in circulation points to how much users will actually upgrade if you left them choose to do it, to say nothing of users ACTUALLY KNOWING what this is, and the amount of support they'll have to waste on older versions instead of being able to say "well there's only 1m users still on 7, we're not going to bother pushing non-critical security fixes to them anymore" makes this an almost no brainer for them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

anthonypants posted:

On the other hand, the guy in this thread who is upset that Comcast isn't firewalling his internet enough thinks phishing is performed by spammers sending "messages with links" to IP addresses.

:fuckoff:

The issue I had is they did it with no announcement. The off the cuff examples were just throwaway samples of reasons why IPv6's address space is not a defense for anything and everyone latched on to it like it was the only thing I was saying.

You don't just plug end users into an entirely new network without some explanation of what's going on.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

anthonypants posted:

net send [2a0f:26f0:8390:650:2dbf:de:a39e:6f3c] "lol buttes"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Volmarias posted:

To be fair, if they had made it an optional update that just sat quietly by itself, their upgrade adoption would be near zero. You don't get people actively making a choice about this stuff until you force them to make a choice to continue. The number of Win XP machines still in circulation points to how much users will actually upgrade if you left them choose to do it, to say nothing of users ACTUALLY KNOWING what this is, and the amount of support they'll have to waste on older versions instead of being able to say "well there's only 1m users still on 7, we're not going to bother pushing non-critical security fixes to them anymore" makes this an almost no brainer for them.

Well uh, Windows XP also costs real money to leave, either in buying an upgrade or buying a new computer. If Vista was free for the first year you'd have seen that get picked up a lot faster.

Also that's not how Microsoft support decisions work: there's a schedule they set from back before 7 came out in the first place and they're not going to break off from that - a lot of their money relies on sticking to the announced support cycles.

xzzy posted:

You don't just plug end users into an entirely new network without some explanation of what's going on.

Actually you do, because explaining IPv6 to people who already don't understand IPv4 is a fool's errand.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

xzzy posted:

The issue I had is they did it with no announcement. The off the cuff examples were just throwaway samples of reasons why IPv6's address space is not a defense for anything and everyone latched on to it like it was the only thing I was saying.

It is kind of a pain that they did it without notice but unless you don't know what the hell you are doing it shouldn't be a big deal. I don't get the outrage.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Not mean to trigger people, but is this something really to sample for a song like this? (sample starts at 0:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q-2egWw11o

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

You are literally complaining that your ISP has provided you with a public IP address, but you are unable to explain how, specifically, this is a bad thing.

You've also grossly misunderstood the IP provisioning process. You can only use an IPv6 address if the equipment on your side of the modem (e.g. a router) requests one. They can't just assign you a 2601:whatever address and route that to your MAC or your IPv4 address, because networking doesn't work that way. If your router was set up to request an IPv6 address and it's received an IPv6 address, your ISP is doing their job.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

anthonypants posted:

You are literally complaining that your ISP has provided you with a public IP address, but you are unable to explain how, specifically, this is a bad thing.

The d-link home router I was using at the time requested IPv6 by default, but did not set up a default firewall for it. The end user was obligated to do this themselves. Now I haven't used every single brand of consumer grade router out there but my assumption is this happens more often than it doesn't.

I just thought it was funny Comcast willingly exposed some unknown percentage of their customer base to public traffic with no heads up, made a post, and spent the entire weekend getting poo poo on by all the CCIE's that showed up. :shrug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

The d-link home router I was using at the time requested IPv6 by default, but did not set up a default firewall for it. The end user was obligated to do this themselves. Now I haven't used every single brand of consumer grade router out there but my assumption is this happens more often than it doesn't.

I just thought it was funny Comcast willingly exposed some unknown percentage of their customer base to public traffic with no heads up, made a post, and spent the entire weekend getting poo poo on by all the CCIE's that showed up. :shrug:

You are exposed to public traffic by having an internet connection, dude, you're not freshly exposed. And holding back expansion of a vital service because some people have oddly set up personal routers instead of using the official Comcast routers (which have no problem), would be a terrible idea.

If you want Comcast to take care of things for you, turn in your modem and router for one of their modem/router combo systems, which they can directly administer. It's hardly going to be likely for their customer base which has a personal router that can handle IPv6 to be configured to not bother to run its firewall on IPv6 - far more likely to be either something too old to do IPv6 or something new enough to support IPv6 properly.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fishmech posted:

You are exposed to public traffic by having an internet connection, dude, you're not freshly exposed.

The basic idea is that if the router has a firewall configured for IPv4 not an IPv6, and that router asks for an IPv6 address, and one day the ISP starts handing them out and routing IPv6 traffic, then that's a new exposure.

Seems pretty obvious to me but apparently I don't know poo poo about poo poo. :buddy:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

xzzy posted:

The basic idea is that if the router has a firewall configured for IPv4 not an IPv6, and that router asks for an IPv6 address, and one day the ISP starts handing them out and routing IPv6 traffic, then that's a new exposure.

Seems pretty obvious to me but apparently I don't know poo poo about poo poo. :buddy:

The basic idea is that you are configuring firewalls without proper planning. I can't for the life of me figure how a firewall that doesn't have ip6 configured defaults to leaving it open.

You are either using some poo poo equipment or doing something wrong.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

You are either using some poo poo equipment

Consumer grade routers, synonymous with being poo poo.

I'd do a demo with the one I used to use but I recycled it last year. It was a ~2011 D-Link.

http://us.dlink.com/technology/dlink-ipv6-solutions/

quote:

More importantly, D-Link IPv6 supports home gateway will enable IPv6 by default, which means D-Link IPv6 support CPE will not require any IPv6-specific configuration by users.

There was no firewall enabled.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xzzy posted:

I'd do a demo with the one I used to use but I recycled it last year. It was a ~2011 D-Link.

As much as I love to give Comcast poo poo, that's not their fault.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Keys, SSL, Domains and Microsoft Azure.

Why the gently caress in TYOOL 2016 am I forced to remember how to use openssl and gently caress around with buying certs, making sure the cer has the right loving country code encoded, exporting to pfx just to launch a secure webapp.

Seriously this poo poo should just be in the azure webapp package and I shouldnt have to gently caress around with 3rd parties and DNS records

To be fair though I did need to use a godaddy subdomain so there was no getting around the domain stuff and once I got all the poo poo organised it was pretty cool.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

xzzy posted:

Don't worry, just edit the Wikipedia article about it and fishmech will change his tune.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

There doesn't need to be a firewall if it does stateful packet inspection, which comes with every ipv6 router listed on that site you linked. Stateful inspection offers the exact same protection as ipv4 NAT.

And if D-Link ships their product with ipv6 enabled and stateful inspection disabled, that's stupid as gently caress. Comcast can't be held at fault for lovely security implementation, even in home networks.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

If you tell me how to do unattended installations with it, sure. All I can find for it is using WDS.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Not pissing me off today:

I had an hour-long meeting planned with one of the directors today, teaching him video calls on Skype4 Bizzzzz. He just cancelled with a "I figured it out, no need to waste time."

:dance:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

If you tell me how to do unattended installations with it, sure. All I can find for it is using WDS.

You google automated deployments with mdt. Mdt doesn't have a ton of prompts but you can answer the prompts ahead of time.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

xzzy posted:

The actual basic idea is that you rejected Comcast's modem/router solution in favor of using your own equipment for a router, and you somehow managed to get a very strange router setup that supported IPv6 without having many of its other features setup on IPv6. And they had no way to know that your choice of router was far below the standard of their own modem/router combos.

And then you have the gall to claim it's Comcast making you insecure by allowing you to have a modern service.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just thought it was a funny anecdote. I'm sorry it triggered you.

You can be drat sure I will never make another post regarding network security in any place I suspect you might read it.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I made my decision to not upgrade like a year ago. The problem is I am still getting these annoying as poo poo popups with deceptive lovely options like [Upgrade Now] [Upgrade Later] every. drat. Day.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Lightning Jim posted:

Not mean to trigger people, but is this something really to sample for a song like this? (sample starts at 0:40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q-2egWw11o

This means war...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6bkvoEo2pc

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

xzzy posted:

You can be drat sure I will never make another post regarding network security in any place I suspect you might read it.

Fishmeched again!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Manslaughter posted:

I made my decision to not upgrade like a year ago. The problem is I am still getting these annoying as poo poo popups with deceptive lovely options like [Upgrade Now] [Upgrade Later] every. drat. Day.

Yeah, they don't want you to do that. You are being punished - or coerced, depending on how you look at it.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jul 5, 2016

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
"So this custom CRM build and new VOIP provider are going to be ready by the time our current provider runs out right? What happens if they aren't ready on the go live day? I also haven't heard anything about the additional sales CRM that we didn't add to the brief that we want"

I spent yesterday yaking my guts out and come in today pretty worse for wear, you can either have the ambiguous answer or the lovely one.
(We'd also be more up to scratch if everyone would stop giving me donkey work, and if we had more people than me and the smart digital marketing girl)

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Super Slash posted:

"So this custom CRM build and new VOIP provider are going to be ready by the time our current provider runs out right? What happens if they aren't ready on the go live day? I also haven't heard anything about the additional sales CRM that we didn't add to the brief that we want"

I spent yesterday yaking my guts out and come in today pretty worse for wear, you can either have the ambiguous answer or the lovely one.
(We'd also be more up to scratch if everyone would stop giving me donkey work, and if we had more people than me and the smart digital marketing girl)

The correct answer if you are stressing to the point of illness, due to being pulled off and additional points X Y and Z we will not be able to deliver on the date. Due to the length of time needed to get someone up to speed it is too late to add people to get this done in time (site having a baby with 9 women in 1 month if you want). You should be able to work a deal with with your vendor for whatever additional time you need.

Now if your boss or PM already said yes we will and is throwing the deadline at you, well push all the blame on them. You have emails saying how behind this project is right?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I have spent ALL day, so far, trying to figure out this problem with our VoIP system. Each office has a Cisco UC and there is a routed extension between them so you don't have to dial out to reach the other side. Now if I call from A to B, everything rings normally and redirects to voicemail after the no-answer timeout. If I call from B to A, everything rings normally, but after the no-answer timeout the call drops due to an unknown extension when it redirects to voicemail. This is the ONLY direction this problem occurs in, but it occurs 100% of the time. External dialing doesn't experience it either.

Clearly this points me at some tiny little gently caress-up in a config somewhere, but I can't find anything that stands out. I'm going crazy while I dig around for this little loving typo or something and just ugh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wireshark it and compare the traces

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Thanks Ants posted:

Wireshark it and compare the traces

This and most voip setups have a tool you can use to help you track down calls and where they hop to on your systems. See if your setup has any of those you can potentially use.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I don't do much customer-facing work anymore, but I still act as the ultimate escalation point for the product I deal with. When no one can figure out what's wrong with it, they come to me.

And I usually don't mind.

But man, there's one guy who drives me crazy. When he actually wants to be, he's our best agent for the product. He's super knowledgeable about it, doesn't mind helping others, and is generally good.

But he's also the source of my worst escalations when he's feeling lazy. He's either the best, or the worst. When he's the worst, there's no information. Hell, just as often, it's wrong information. I have to kick stuff back to him all the time. It's frustrating, because even when he's telling me the truth and doing his job, I have to double-check everything. This makes every interaction with him take twice as long as it should.

I just wish the guy could stay in awesome mode, because that's the guy I'd tap to replace me (if I ever moved on). But I can't do that when he's a lazy motherfucker half the time.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

porkface posted:

If IPv6 is going to cause this much fanatical idiocy I would rather just shut the internet down and go back to paper.

We can't. The Post Office is out of PO boxes.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ynglaur posted:

We can't. The Post Office is out of PO boxes.

I've constructed an elaborate system of chutes and conveyor belts behind mine to another set of PO boxes so I'm fine for a while yet.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
You could just do straight point to point with RFC 2549 and ignore the need for PO boxes.

Edit: Or we could take the eco-friendly IPv6 approach.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jul 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

pixaal posted:

The correct answer if you are stressing to the point of illness, due to being pulled off and additional points X Y and Z we will not be able to deliver on the date. Due to the length of time needed to get someone up to speed it is too late to add people to get this done in time (site having a baby with 9 women in 1 month if you want). You should be able to work a deal with with your vendor for whatever additional time you need.

Now if your boss or PM already said yes we will and is throwing the deadline at you, well push all the blame on them. You have emails saying how behind this project is right?

Not so much stress but more unlucky stomach bug (the wife had it a couple days before), it's more why ask me instead of the development vendor, and if you didn't know about something now why didn't you know about it before the project started?