Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Star posted:

Man, our team turned around a 1-2 to a 3-2 in rounds but because one of our players dropped out halfway through the 5th round the rank gain was pitiful.

The opposing team had a reconnect in of my matches, I ended up only getting about 10point gain in match points at the end

Makes me wonder if this will be the new troll meta if reconnects count as drops and tank the MMR change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Sorry if this is old, but after being out of town for like a month, I finally settled in to play some post nerf McCree. On paper the fth nerf didn't seem too bad, but I had a hard time killing anyone with it and wound up never using it at all. I usually play with a fairly organized group so most of the time I am peel for my team, shooting pharah out of the sky, interrupting ults, and adding overall damage where I can, so it didn't seem too bad at first. But I dropped into solo queue and it seemed like I couldn't kill anyone anymore 1v1. Did they do something to the speed of the attack along with the damage decrease? Or is the risk/reward ratio just that skewed now that the damage is so low, that being a sliver off basically results in dead McCree?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Man, you can almost perfectly predict whether you're looking at a win or a loss in comp based on whether someone's calling out stuff like Genji/Tracer/Reaper. You can be in comms like crazy talking about anything and everything else but I've found that little extra bit of peripheral awareness is what makes the biggest difference, especially on A/D maps.

TLDR: If you see something, say something.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

fadam posted:

My friend went 6-4 and got in the 50s and my other friend went 3-7 and got 60 something so even if your team is filled with loser shitters because you're solo queueing, the game seems to be able to tell how good you are.
It seems to be really dependent on your MMR prior to your placement matches. Honestly it kind of makes placement matches pointless since someone that was high MMR before will end up with a 60+ (or even 70+ for pro-types) even with a losing record.

Star posted:

Man, our team turned around a 1-2 to a 3-2 in rounds but because one of our players dropped out halfway through the 5th round the rank gain was pitiful.
The whole leaver thing needs some work. Twice now my screen has bugged out and just turned black between rounds. Restarting the game means I get an instant loss despite my team winning even if I get back before the round actually starts. And then as you mention, it screws out whoever wins too since it decreases the xp gain.

I'm all for a leaver penalty, but if you are getting back before like 1 minute, you shouldn't be considered to have "left".

Another thing: It seems like 6 stacking isn't worth it at all. You lose more for a loss and gain less when you win, making it very difficult to gain ranks. We've been doing 3-4 people and doing much better, the amount you lose/win seems to even out a lot better.

subx fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 5, 2016

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
So for those of you who play mostly solo queue, what rank did you start at and what are you at now?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I've been playing a bit of McCree lately and I think he is really feast or famine in regards to shooting dudes. Sometimes you will gunfight and get outdamaged and die and other times you will just headshot 3 people in a row and it's brutally overpowered. I'll use FTH on most people if I get the drop but I think the important thing is getting good at a precise headshot after the flashbang to sort out Tracers and Genji's

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Overwatch COmpetative: A race to see who leaves first!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FAUXTON posted:

Man, you can almost perfectly predict whether you're looking at a win or a loss in comp based on whether someone's calling out stuff like Genji/Tracer/Reaper. You can be in comms like crazy talking about anything and everything else but I've found that little extra bit of peripheral awareness is what makes the biggest difference, especially on A/D maps.

TLDR: If you see something, say something.

I just had a match with someone playing Tracer as a straight-on shooter, no Shifting or flanking. They spent the round demanding we ALL switch classes for Attack just because we lost on Defense.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Good Will Hrunting posted:

So for those of you who play mostly solo queue, what rank did you start at and what are you at now?

started at 48, now at 52! :unsmith:

haven't had that many leavers either. only a few out of like 35 games, and all but one rejoined.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

redweird posted:

I've been playing a bit of McCree lately and I think he is really feast or famine in regards to shooting dudes. Sometimes you will gunfight and get outdamaged and die and other times you will just headshot 3 people in a row and it's brutally overpowered. I'll use FTH on most people if I get the drop but I think the important thing is getting good at a precise headshot after the flashbang to sort out Tracers and Genji's

I have good success with Mccree and I think the trick is for 200hp heroes is to body shot them before attempting to flash - headshot them. Just ignore fan the hammer unless you're so close to an enemy that they obscure your screen or have 40-80 hp in close quarters. Also stand behind rein shield and shoot people in the brain.

Kehveli
Apr 1, 2009

Push It Like You Push Your Girlfriend

Started at 56, mostly soloq'd to 58, played in a stack to 60 and soloed back to 58. Yay.

edit: Also I've found that if I want to keep this game enjoyable I'm just gonna keep my comp in my comp stack from now on and qp solo or w goons. When I play competetive I will actually become competetive and will consequently be called a shithead and blacklisted. Apparently I'm a prick who will berate people with such inhumane sentences as "stop overextending, you're just feeding them ult at this point", "hold at the chokepoint", "can we do one game with a comp that isn't countered by the current meta" and "hero x you need to take care of hero y or switch out".

Kehveli fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 5, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Started at 46 (solo queued to qualify) and I'm down to 32 (playing mostly Mercy), with a seemingly unending chain of leavers and terrible players. My win rate in quick play was around 52%, in Competitive its about 20%. Super unfun. Plus, I think playing Mercy screws me because even winning via steamroll only gets me like 10- 20% of a level. Losing, however, I'm losing like 80% of a level each time.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Efexeye posted:

Started at 46 (solo queued to qualify) and I'm down to 32 (playing mostly Mercy), with a seemingly unending chain of leavers and terrible players. My win rate in quick play was around 52%, in Competitive its about 20%. Super unfun. Plus, I think playing Mercy screws me because even winning via steamroll only gets me like 10- 20% of a level. Losing, however, I'm losing like 80% of a level each time.

Solo mainly Mercy at 33. Mercy is trash to competitive play without greens and even then your team needs to be bad but also winners to do "good". Any other scenario and healers get a You loving Suck participation ribbon every round. Have tonnes of quickplay fun with her though.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

"without greens?"

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Efexeye posted:

"without greens?"

i assume this means group members which have green names

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Efexeye posted:

"without greens?"

Group teammates, I assume

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Jastiger posted:

Overwatch COmpetative: A race to see who leaves first!

In one of my placement matches, 4 players left my team after losing KotH once. The other guy and I decided to just mess around, and got mercilessly tryharded into hidden corners of our spawn.

It was great.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I hovered around 46/47 the first 2 days. I lost 4 in a row last night (all 4 I was Lucio because nobody else volunteered to play support) and dropped to 42. I'm going to not play any more solo q. If 50 is "average" I'm definitely not having performances that are 8 points below average.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Efexeye posted:

"without greens?"

Eat your veggies

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just had a match with someone playing Tracer as a straight-on shooter, no Shifting or flanking. They spent the round demanding we ALL switch classes for Attack just because we lost on Defense.

That sounds awful. One of the biggest differences between this game and a lot of others is the whole mobility-as-damage-mitigation thing. Granted, Tracer and Genji have a slightly higher rate of unmodified run speed, but overall everyone moves about equally fast unless they're sprinting/listening to house music/otherwise hitting shift. Then you've got the guys that climb and the gorillas that jump, the grape tart with the grappling hook, etc. Those mobility skills are meant to get you close to the enemy without taking fire coming in, get you away from the enemy without taking fire going out, or keep you out of enemy cross hairs as much as possible.

Using Tracer without the blink is like playing a no-shield Reinhardt or no-jenkem Roadhog. Like, that's half of her durability right there alongside her rewind. It's mind-boggling that someone would do that outside of trying to make a stupid video of it or something.

OTOH I bought OW for my brother (he watched our cats for a week while we were on vacation, this was his payment) for Xbone and he played for a few hours reluctantly using snipers to deal with bastion until I told him Genji reflects stuff. He thought it was just a deflect. After that he was like "lol who in their right mind shoots a Genji with a bastion" so maybe your tracer guy didn't know how the blink worked.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Startee at 48. Down to 46 now. :smith:

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
The biggest problem I see complained about is this variable competitive XP mechanic. We barley lose a match in sudden death and I loose what looks like an entire level, and then any win looks like a tiny sliver of gain. The reason you go down in level when you have above a 50% win rate is that you lose 4x as much XP as you win

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

ColHannibal posted:

The biggest problem I see complained about is this variable competitive XP mechanic. We barley lose a match in sudden death and I loose what looks like an entire level, and then any win looks like a tiny sliver of gain. The reason you go down in level when you have above a 50% win rate is that you lose 4x as much XP as you win

This is honestly my biggest issue. If I'm going to be scrub 50 trash, that's fine and I can accept that. But, the way the system is built now, there's just no sense of progress, gain, or fun. Winning fun, close games is always good, but it takes a lot out to see yourself gain maybe 1/3 of a bar after trying super hard and playing your best. It's beating a dude when he's down, especially after dropping so many ranks to begin with. Why place me at 52, a level I've was able to compete at and even gain in - when a small losing streak or playing with friends will make me drop 7 ranks?

Yesterday, I got placed against three Underdog teams in a row. Aside from the whole "Why is that happening in the first place," losing the last one completely undid all of the XP I gained from the first two. Today, I've had a lot of good, fun matches, but two losses completely undid all of my progress from 4 straight wins (which did not even rank me up).

It also doesn't help that the common thread between a lot of people losing a ton of levels is that they seem to play healers, and I'm no exception with Lucio. I like playing other things, but unsurprisingly people insta-lock Genjis or Reapers.

Overall, I like the idea of their system and how it uses performance as a measure. Straight win/loss ratios being used as MMR is really dumb, and it's weird to see so many gamers try to stand up for it when no sport in the world uses that for individual player analysis. But, the numbers really need adjusted. Punishing the winning team for a leaver needs to be fixed. If a person is going to hover, don't make it feel like a depressing inevitability that they will not keep their rank.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Fibby Boy posted:

Startee at 48. Down to 46 now. :smith:

Wait, I thought you couldn't drop below your starting rank?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've mentioned before that my IRL best friend exclusively plays PC games with a controller. Well he got Overwatch to play with me because it had controller support, insisting that he would be just as good as anybody with it. We did some Quick Play and he got his poo poo pushed in. It didn't help that he only wanted to play Symmetra (on Attack), Mei, and Genji. I suggested he try Reaper, 76, Torbjorn, or even Bastion, but he was like "Nah I tried all those characters and don't like them." After a few losing matches he insisted we switch to botmatch.

I don't know where I'm going with this but feel my pain

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

im sorry that playing video games with your best friend is so hard for you

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

You can definitely drop a lot of ranks from your starting rank.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Imagined posted:

I've mentioned before that my IRL best friend exclusively plays PC games with a controller. Well he got Overwatch to play with me because it had controller support, insisting that he would be just as good as anybody with it. We did some Quick Play and he got his poo poo pushed in. It didn't help that he only wanted to play Symmetra (on Attack), Mei, and Genji. I suggested he try Reaper, 76, Torbjorn, or even Bastion, but he was like "Nah I tried all those characters and don't like them." After a few losing matches he insisted we switch to botmatch.

I don't know where I'm going with this but feel my pain

So almost the entire tf2 server I play with moved to overwatch for the time and there are 1 or 2 people who own the game and refuse to play quickplay or comp, all they want to do is custom matches against bots.

Never played against people.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Grapplejack posted:

Oh you sure as hell can. And it's the same "win a tiny sliver/lose a landslide" at sub 50 ranks.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I don't understand why people play bot games ever. I have a group of friends who spent hours in bot matches when the game released because they felt the need to practice. As soon as they stepped into the wild their poo poo was pushed in just as much as it would have been without playing hours of bot matches. I get they can be useful for getting the feel of attacks and skills... but it's still pointless in my opinion. I guess some people are weird about stepping right into multiplayer.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I played exactly two bot matches when I first got the game and have never touched them since.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Why didn't Blizzard port over the ladder progression from Hearthstone, but modified to fit Overwatch better? Win streaks for lower ranks provide boosts toward your overall progression, but at higher ranks you stop getting the boost. Winning 3 games in a row or more under rank 65 could give you +2 points per rank, over rank 65 it just gives the base +1. 3-4 points per rank to level up.

This doesn't seem too hard to fix, but really anything other than the garbage system they have in place for rankings right now would be great.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
because in hearthstone ranks from 25 to 5 don't mean anything, it would mean ranks under 65 in overwatch wouldn't mean anything

also hearthstone's rank system favors fast strats with low winrates over consistent slow strats

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jul 5, 2016

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

nickhimself posted:

Why didn't Blizzard port over the ladder progression from Hearthstone, but modified to fit Overwatch better? Win streaks for lower ranks provide boosts toward your overall progression, but at higher ranks you stop getting the boost. Winning 3 games in a row or more under rank 65 could give you +2 points per rank, over rank 65 it just gives the base +1. 3-4 points per rank to level up.

This doesn't seem too hard to fix, but really anything other than the garbage system they have in place for rankings right now would be great.

Isn't the hearthstone system what they had in beta till everyone complained?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Zoness posted:

because in hearthstone ranks from 25 to 5 don't mean anything, it would mean ranks under 65 in overwatch wouldn't mean anything

also hearthstone's rank system favors fast strats with low winrates over consistent slow strats

Ranks in videogames don't mean anything:ssh:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Kehveli posted:

Started at 56, mostly soloq'd to 58, played in a stack to 60 and soloed back to 58. Yay.

edit: Also I've found that if I want to keep this game enjoyable I'm just gonna keep my comp in my comp stack from now on and qp solo or w goons. When I play competetive I will actually become competetive and will consequently be called a shithead and blacklisted. Apparently I'm a prick who will berate people with such inhumane sentences as "stop overextending, you're just feeding them ult at this point", "hold at the chokepoint", "can we do one game with a comp that isn't countered by the current meta" and "hero x you need to take care of hero y or switch out".

100% chance your messages are 100% more aggressive

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

I dont care enough about this game to do the competitive mode poo poo but from what I'm reading the ranks are literally based purely on win/loss? Is that for real. Lol blizzard

lol how do you people remember to breathe

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Axel Serenity posted:

This is honestly my biggest issue. If I'm going to be scrub 50 trash, that's fine and I can accept that. But, the way the system is built now, there's just no sense of progress, gain, or fun. Winning fun, close games is always good, but it takes a lot out to see yourself gain maybe 1/3 of a bar after trying super hard and playing your best. It's beating a dude when he's down, especially after dropping so many ranks to begin with. Why place me at 52, a level I've was able to compete at and even gain in - when a small losing streak or playing with friends will make me drop 7 ranks?

Progression mechanics are a psychological sop made to make people feel good. Actually improving at a thing is much harder, but also much more satisfying.

Axel Serenity posted:

Overall, I like the idea of their system and how it uses performance as a measure. Straight win/loss ratios being used as MMR is really dumb, and it's weird to see so many gamers try to stand up for it when no sport in the world uses that for individual player analysis. But, the numbers really need adjusted. Punishing the winning team for a leaver needs to be fixed. If a person is going to hover, don't make it feel like a depressing inevitability that they will not keep their rank.

Again, it isn't straight win/loss ratios, that would actually, in fact, be dumb.

It's whether you win or lose cross-referenced with the relative difference between your rating and your opponent's, which is much better and more sensible than trying to "baseball stats" your way to each player's skill level for reasons already covered at length.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

ImPureAwesome posted:

Isn't the hearthstone system what they had in beta till everyone complained?

idk? I didn't play this game until it was released. It just seems like anything less punishing would be 500x better than the current system, and something similar to HS's feels fair to me. whatever though, none of this matters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Started at 50, down to 42. Been hovering around 41-44 for a couple of days now. Every loss has to be compensated by 3 wins or so, which is hard to maintain with pubs who may or may not play decently (or even stay in the game).